EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Early African Pastoralism View from Dakhleh Oasis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early African Pastoralism View from Dakhleh Oasis
Topdog
Member # 6753

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 17, 124–142 (1998)
Article no. AA980320

Early African Pastoralism: View from Dakhleh Oasis
(South Central Egypt)
Mary M. A. McDonald

The late prehistoric archaeological sequence from Dakhleh Oasis, South Central Egypt, is examined for evidence on the origins and development of pastoralism in northeastern Africa, under the dry but fluctuating environmental conditions of the early to mid-Holocene. Around 8800 B.P., relatively sedentary groups of the Masara cultural unit have a broad-based subsistence
system but no sign of food production. Herding appears ca. 7000 B.P., at a time of increased and possibly less seasonal rainfall, on large late Bashendi A sites with stone-built structures and a still-diversified food economy. With the drying trend after 6500 B.P., mobile Bashendi B cattle and goat herders continue to aggregate in the oasis for a millennium, still utilizing a variety of resources. More settled Sheikh Muftah groups occupy the oasis lowlands until Old Kingdom times. Throughout the sequence, the early pastoralism of Dakhleh seems more African than West Asian in character. © 1998 Academic Press

Posts: 328 | From: Vicksburg, Mississippi | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topdog
Member # 6753

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do have the full text but its hard to comphrehend exactly whats being said here. Thought where are you? I'm starting a yahoo group where i am going to start placing the full texts at. Once its complete[I'm nearly finished], I'll let everyone know.

[This message has been edited by Topdog (edited 22 July 2005).]

Posts: 328 | From: Vicksburg, Mississippi | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topdog
Member # 6753

Rate Member
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Study/
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very African nature of the ancient Nile Valley cultural complex simply cannot be missed, no matter how hard one tries to convince him/herself or others that it is not so; the facts are just overwhelming and stare you right in the face in almost all directions.

Topdog, why is it that you feel that the complete text is difficult to comprehend?

BTW, I think the yahoo group thing is a great idea.

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 22 July 2005).]

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topdog
Member # 6753

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Super car:
The very African nature of the ancient Nile Valley cultural complex simply cannot be missed, no matter how hard one tries to convince him/herself or others that it is not so; the facts are just overwhelming and stare you right in the face in almost all directions.

Topdog, why is it that you feel that the complete text is difficult to comprehend?

BTW, I think the yahoo group thing is a great idea.

[This message has been edited by Super car (edited 22 July 2005).]

I agree with you, but it was hard trying to comprehend the numerous lithic industries, some of which I've never heard of, that the author mentions. Aside from that, she makes a great case for patoralism in Africa having an African base.

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topdog:
I agree with you, but it was hard trying to comprehend the numerous lithic industries, some of which I've never heard of, that the author mentions.

I see your point. Well, I am counting on reading the full text at some point.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Please send me the full text if you can. I am curious how all this applies to findings at Nabta Playa in southern Egypt around the Nubian desert. In this area we have evidence of pastoralists attached to what appears a cattle cult. Nabta Playa is the oldest religious monument in Africa dating to about 6,7000 B.C.?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topdog
Member # 6753

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Please send me the full text if you can. I am curious how all this applies to findings at Nabta Playa in southern Egypt around the Nubian desert. In this area we have evidence of pastoralists attached to what appears a cattle cult. Nabta Playa is the oldest religious monument in Africa dating to about 6,7000 B.C.?

I have the full text study posted in the yahoo group.

I just added you. Go to the files section and you'll see the full text study there.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeah, it pretty much silences AMR's claims of West Asian immigrants mixing with native Africans to produce civilization. LOL

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Interesting. I read the entire article and it mentions that domestic sheep might have came from Southwestern Asia. This is certainly possible but what about the indigenous sheep Barbary sheep in northern Africa. Any possible way the so-called foreign domestics might be the following.

A scholar named Angela Close covers the eastern Sahara and early northern African pre-history. You might want to contact her for more details. She might know more about this.

It appears that the Dakhleh Oasis Oasis area is becoming more important to the formation of the pre-dyanstic era.

In antiquity the Oasis areas in Egypt were connected with trade with more southern areas in Africa.

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 22 July 2005).]

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Here is Angela Close contact information. You might want to contact her Tog Dog and ask her about the lithic industries around Northern Africa and her area of expertise is the Southern Egyptian Nile Valley and Eastern Sahara:

Angela E. Close
Professor, Anthropology; Adjunct Professor, Quaternary Research Center; Editor, Journal of World Prehistory (see below for address)
<http://64.233.161.104/img/spacer.gif>
Email: aeclose@u.washington.edu
Ph.D. Cambridge University, 1975

Angela Close has conducted research in the North African Stone Age, concentrating particularly on southern Egypt and ranging in period from Middle Palaeolithic to Late Neolithic. She has authored, co-authored, and edited numerous articles and book-chapters on subjects related to North African prehistory and to the analysis of lithic artifacts. Her fieldwork has been carried out primarily in the southern part of the Eastern Sahara and in the Nile Valley in southern Egypt. She is now conducting a project in southwestern Sinai. This area of the peninsula has not previously received systematic archaeological exploration, despite its strategic location in terms of contacts between Africa and southwestern Asia.

Selected Publications

? Wendorf, F., R. Schild, A. E. Close and Associates. (1993) Egypt During the Last Interglacial: The Middle Paleolithic of Bir Tarfawi and Bir Sahara East. New York: Plenum Press.

? Close , A. E. and C. G. Sampson. (1998) Backed microlith clusters in Late Holocene rock shelter fills of the Upper Karoo, South Africa. South African Archaeological Bulletin 53: 63-72' '

Mail should be sent to me at: Department of Anthropology, University of Washington, Seattle WA 98195-3100, USA (*not* to the QRC).
[Portrait of Angela E. Close]
Angela E. Close 's Research Website.

Use your UWNetID and password to Update this page.
http://depts.washington.edu/qrc/people/bio.cgi?who=Close

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Nobody has any comment on this study about African pastoralism?

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

Interesting. I read the entire article and it mentions that domestic sheep might have came from Southwestern Asia. [b]This is certainly possible but what about the indigenous sheep Barbary sheep in northern Africa. Any possible way the so-called foreign domestics might be the following.

You have a point about the indigenous Barbary Sheep, and even the author of this article makes a reference to this:

"Recently a cave site in the Acacus, in southwest Libya, has yielded evidence for the penning of a local wild species, Ammotargus lervia or Barbary sheep, in layers dated to the ninth millennium B.P. (Di Lernia and Chremaschi 1996)"

And from a different article...

"On the evidence of excavations in caves such as Uan Afuda, one of the highlights of our visit (Figure 3), these early Holocene foragers collected grasses and wild cereals (sorghum and millet), fished, and hunted riverine animals including crocodile, hippopotamus and turtle and savanna animals such as large and small antelopes, though the main quarry was the Barbary sheep. At Uan Afuda di Lernia and Cremaschi have also found extraordinary evidence for the management of the latter species 1000 years before the appearance of domestic cattle, sheep and goats. Their evidence is very convincing: they found clear structural and micromorphological evidence for stalling, and the Barbary sheep coprolites have partially-ground grass seeds in them. This remarkable evidence for 'pre-herding herding' at Uan Afuda coincides with climatic evidence for a sudden onset of dryness, so the onset of desiccation appears to have been the context for significant shifts in behaviour." - Courtesy of University College London, Institute of Archaeology.

Hunting a Barbary sheep - a typical example of Saharan 'Pastoral Neolithic' rock art in the Wadi Teshuinat. - Courtesy of University College London, Institute of Archaeology.

I think that the full text of the opening article leaves much to think about, but to me, the weak point is this; she acknowledges the distinct features of African pastoralism, and yet talks about the supposed 'uncertainity' about its origins. Makes no sense.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com