EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Where is Punt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where is Punt?
CrissyG
Member # 8935

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrissyG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,
Im currently doing an Historical Study on the Location of Punt. I have a few conflicting ideas as to where it is but mainly people suggest it was on the coast of Somalia. But evidence collected by various Egyptologists suggests it could be Mozambique or other places. If anyone has thoughts on the subject or knows of any readily available primary or secondary sources on the location, journeys or even specific items, maps or opinions i would love to hear them! For instance i would love to get a translation of the story in Hatshepsuts mortuary temple or any other evidence it acctually existed would be good.
Please let me know what you know.

Posts: 9 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leba
Member # 8668

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for leba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
North Sudan...Eritrea...Yemen...Somalia

Mozambique is way too South.

Posts: 267 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrissyG
Member # 8935

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrissyG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, i didnt think of Mozambique till i read something that said the Egyptians reportedly obtained antimony in Punt (i dont even know what that is) but that it was not produced in the Horn of Africa but in Mozambique. Also the word Pwani is Swahili meaning 'seaside'. another name for Punt was Pwanit.. rather compelling wouldnt you say? I also found information from 'the shipwrecked soldier' saying it took 2 months to return from Punt to Egypt.. I havent finished researching it but where do you think they would start from to return in two months?
Posts: 9 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
COBRA
Member # 7318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for COBRA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somalia.....i sappose.
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrissyG
Member # 8935

Rate Member
Hey, i also found that the journey usually went by land to the red sea then south from there. BUT in Hatshepsuts account of the journey the whole lot was by boat... does this mean she took a different path? there was a canal built to the red sea from the Nile but certainly after the 18th Dynasty trip...So, how did she get there?
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrissyG:
Hey, i also found that the journey usually went by land to the red sea then south from there. BUT in Hatshepsuts account of the journey the whole lot was by boat... does this mean she took a different path? there was a canal built to the red sea from the Nile but certainly after the 18th Dynasty trip...So, how did she get there?

If you read the Oxford History of Ancient Egypt it goes into detail about Punt being a general reference to the Sudan/Horn area and especially near the coast.

The point is made that sometimes the journey was made up the nile and thence by land, and apparently referred to parts of Sudan/Wawat.

Whether or not a sea route was utilised appeared to depend on the degree of Kemetic [Egyptian] control of Southern Regions [Nubia, Ta Seti].

When these regions were not under their control a voyage by red sea to the south was preferred.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

There is a port located in Egypt around the Red Sea around a modern town called Quesir. According to recent findings by Fattovitch it appears this was the most likely port used for expeditions to Punt.

Many debate about location of Punt with Egyptologist like Keneath Kitchen prefering Eritrea/Sudan area. He bases this off the floura and fauna found on the reliefs of Hathshepsut's temple at Deir el-Bahri.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't definitely far from the African Horn and southern Sudan. But what I think needs to be taken into account, is that Punt may well have extended further into central Africa.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com