EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Where is Punt? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
CrissyG
Member # 8935
 - posted
Hello everyone,
Im currently doing an Historical Study on the Location of Punt. I have a few conflicting ideas as to where it is but mainly people suggest it was on the coast of Somalia. But evidence collected by various Egyptologists suggests it could be Mozambique or other places. If anyone has thoughts on the subject or knows of any readily available primary or secondary sources on the location, journeys or even specific items, maps or opinions i would love to hear them! For instance i would love to get a translation of the story in Hatshepsuts mortuary temple or any other evidence it acctually existed would be good.
Please let me know what you know.

leba
Member # 8668
 - posted
North Sudan...Eritrea...Yemen...Somalia

Mozambique is way too South.

CrissyG
Member # 8935
 - posted
Yes, i didnt think of Mozambique till i read something that said the Egyptians reportedly obtained antimony in Punt (i dont even know what that is) but that it was not produced in the Horn of Africa but in Mozambique. Also the word Pwani is Swahili meaning 'seaside'. another name for Punt was Pwanit.. rather compelling wouldnt you say? I also found information from 'the shipwrecked soldier' saying it took 2 months to return from Punt to Egypt.. I havent finished researching it but where do you think they would start from to return in two months?

COBRA
Member # 7318
 - posted
Somalia.....i sappose.

CrissyG
Member # 8935
 - posted
Hey, i also found that the journey usually went by land to the red sea then south from there. BUT in Hatshepsuts account of the journey the whole lot was by boat... does this mean she took a different path? there was a canal built to the red sea from the Nile but certainly after the 18th Dynasty trip...So, how did she get there?

rasol
Member # 4592
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by CrissyG:
Hey, i also found that the journey usually went by land to the red sea then south from there. BUT in Hatshepsuts account of the journey the whole lot was by boat... does this mean she took a different path? there was a canal built to the red sea from the Nile but certainly after the 18th Dynasty trip...So, how did she get there?

If you read the Oxford History of Ancient Egypt it goes into detail about Punt being a general reference to the Sudan/Horn area and especially near the coast.

The point is made that sometimes the journey was made up the nile and thence by land, and apparently referred to parts of Sudan/Wawat.

Whether or not a sea route was utilised appeared to depend on the degree of Kemetic [Egyptian] control of Southern Regions [Nubia, Ta Seti].

When these regions were not under their control a voyage by red sea to the south was preferred.

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
up

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted

There is a port located in Egypt around the Red Sea around a modern town called Quesir. According to recent findings by Fattovitch it appears this was the most likely port used for expeditions to Punt.

Many debate about location of Punt with Egyptologist like Keneath Kitchen prefering Eritrea/Sudan area. He bases this off the floura and fauna found on the reliefs of Hathshepsut's temple at Deir el-Bahri.

Supercar
Member # 6477
 - posted
It isn't definitely far from the African Horn and southern Sudan. But what I think needs to be taken into account, is that Punt may well have extended further into central Africa.

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
up

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com