EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Black Americans (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Black Americans
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

I don't know why David Banner always looks mad. I never meet the man but know some people that did,and they tell me he is really down to earth. He actually has a degree in Business from a University in Mississippi. Before he started going into crunk/pimp music he was actually pretty concious. He and his partner Kamikaze had a group called Crooked Lettaz.

Lamin,I would say that New Orleans is probably where African Americans were mixed the most. The most unmixed I would say is Gullah people in South Carolina. Mississippi also has its fair share of Western African looking African Americans.

Living mostly on the east Coast of NYC my entire life I have seen African Americans very light. This could be because of mixing with Puerto Ricans.

I noticed that a great many people in New Orleans were quite dark skinned and did have the West/Central African "Negro" physical type. There are also alot of immigrants of West Indian descent in New Orleans and the often make up the poorest populations in such an Urban area.

Most Black people I have met from Lousiana claimed to be Creole and had very exotic features such as green/hazel eyes and different textures of hair and shades of skin.

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee20
Member # 9004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tee20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from New Olreans and I used to watch that woman's show all the time(Antoinette Herrell Miller).

She had a reperations suit going on last time I checked.

She's a cool lady.

Last time I checked, her DNA took her back on her mother's side to the Housa(sp) people of Niger. I think thats the way they trace you DNA back(Matralineally)

I think It's like $250 for the test and you can find out where you are from in Africa.

She had some video of her trip back, and the people were suprisingly welcoming.

She said that alot of Africans are waiting for Black Americans to "Come Home".

Althouigh I have heard "they" don't particularly care for us as a people, the one's she encountered were welcoming.

Posts: 21 | From: New orleans,La.,USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yeah, there was Haitian migration into New Orleans. I would think that New Orleans and Louisana has more Sene-Gambian influence because of the control of the French. Maybe some Dahomean influence to. You know the New Orleans rapper Master P looks just like many Burkino Faso Mossi people I saw in a magazine. The resemblence was uncanny.

I know the creoles themselves probably have Sene-Gambian influence.

New orleans has alot of Western African influence. For example look at the tradition of second line jazz funerals. Even New Orleans Bounce music sounds African.

Mansa Musa, while you are researching other areas in Africa I suggest you also not overlook African influences in America. Check out a book called Africanism in America by Joseph Halloway. He is a anthropologist out of Indiana University that discovered African retentions amongst African Americans.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee20
Member # 9004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tee20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Ausar. You know about Bounce music???

I thought it was under ground sot of house music.

And yes, Its VERY much African.

Posts: 21 | From: New orleans,La.,USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

East Africans have a rather unique appearance. Few African Americans look like them. Interestingly, African Americans that look the most East Africans are the ones mixed with Jewish ancestry.

Actually, just kidding about the Jewish part, but I do have an Aunt that married a Black man and their kids look just like very light skin Somalians.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To AUSAR

You are bit off concerning the source of the West African captives transported to the Western Hemisphere.

The following historians and histories of West Africa could be consulted:

Jean Suret Canale
Gloria Emeagwali
Walter Rodney
Joseph Inikori
Michael Crowder
Christopher Fyfe
C.A. Diop
Paul Lovejoy
Cambridge History of Africa
UNESCO History of Africa

Point is that the source of the captives stretched from Senegal down to Angola. But lesser numbers obviously came as far away as Morocco and Madagascar.

According to the reports of the slavers themselves(see THEO CONAUT--who was a slaver for 20 years on the West African coast during the 1800s. His text is "A Slaver's Log") the vast majority of the captives were prisoners of the inter-ethnic wars fueled by the infusion of weaponry(muskets and cannon) into the area plus other petty trade items such as alcohol and cloth.

But according to Rodney it was the half-caste offspring of the Portugese on the West African coast who were s ent into the upland interior with trade items and weapons to exchange for captives. These offspring of Portugese and Africans were called "lanzados" and they, plus the feuding kings, were the major agents in this regard.

In fact based on the records all major West African groups had their kinsmen sent to the Americas: Mandinkas, Wolofs, Fulas, Hausas(in fact a mjor revolt in Brazil was mounted by Hausa Moslems some of whom along with Yoruba captives were deported back to West Africa to Nigeria and Benin especially)Ibos, Bakongos(Congo) and Kimbundus(Congo), Ashanti, Ewe, Dahomey, etc.

In fact, Moslems from the Sahel had little play in this commerce contrary to the claims of some. The distances were too great.

But that is not to deny that West African Moslems were not involved: Suleiman Ben Job was a slave traffiker who himself was kidnapped and sold to the U.S. as a slave captive. Don't forget too that the Yoruba Civil Wars yielded a lot of war prisoners who were bartered away to places like Brazil and Cuba. The Congo region also yielded large number of kidnapees--for Brazil especially-- that the King of the Congo(Afonso?) wrote urgently to the Portugese King to stop the "cruel trade" as he put it because of its depopulating effects.

Some statistics: some 20 million Africans arrived alive in the Americas over a period of 300 years.

But only 16% or so survived the trip from capture to arrival. Many died from the cruel conditions, many died in the captive houses on the coast, some committed suicide by jumping off ships, others died from sickness and disease, some just couldn't survive the harsh trip, etc.

Note that indivuals of all stations were kidnapped and deported: Pagans and Moslems(Suleiman Ben Job, Mahommah Baquaqua from Djougo in Northern Nigeria. He was later given the Western name Jose da Costa. And there are others. King Jaja of Opobo(Nigeria) who opposed British inroads into his territory was captured then shipped out the Caribbean area.

Survivors' guilt anywhere? Rituals to placate the ancestors and those sacrificed?

So obviously some 100 million Africans were affected by the dastardly trade. Just curious: If they could brought back to life what would they tell the survivors?

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Lamin, I stand corrected about this. Thanks for the additional sources. However, what about the Trans-Saharan slave trade before the Trans-Atlantic? Wouldn't you say the main partispants in the trans-Saharan slave trade were Muslim Africans that raided their non-Muslim neighboors in the interior?

quote:
Wow Ausar. You know about Bounce music???

I thought it was under ground sot of house music.

And yes, Its VERY much African.

No Doubt! Dj Jubilee from the St. Thomas. I learned about Bounce music from reading magazines like Source.

In the Carribean they used to have sound systems in which Kool Herc took and revamped into Djaying in hip hop.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Tee20

Re: African Americans and West Africans. Just visit West Africa yourself and get your own personal experiences.

But note that Africans in Africa IN GENERAL(with exceptions of course) are much more welcoming of African Americans than African Americans are welcoming of Africans. But African Americans from the South and the small towns on the South Atlantic coast are very different: friendly and kind.

African Americans are much admired in Africa because of their power in music and sports. Also they are perceived as being wealthy--coming from the self-proclaimed "richest country in the world".

But the cleavages in the 2 groups have their sources in recent history partially: when African students began coming to the the U.S in the 1960s they were advised by State Department officials and chaperones that they should not seek to associate with African Americans because "they w ere violent and infected with STDs". And there were actual cases where white host families actively warned Africans against befriending African Americans. Check it out if in doubt.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
To Ausar

Re the trans-Sahara trade you are correct.

bandon19
Member # 7773

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandon19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ausar every african american has some admixture. Just cause one looks more mix then a darker one dosent mean dna wise.
Posts: 188 | From: canton,ma,united states | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ceelgabo_11
Member # 8942

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ceelgabo_11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leba:

No they don't especially not East African!

Leba you shouldn't make claims that only God is certain of.. Who knows if some African Americans could trace their Gene back to NOrth East Africa or back to Somalia.. I could tell you that its possible for African American to trace his gene back to Somali..cause Jamiacan who tested his gene found out that his gene traced back to Niger and further back to Somalis.. and the funny thing is that I met a brother from Chad in Saud Arabia who told me that his mother was Chadian and his father was Chadian who ethnically Somali from Garre tribe.. Garres in Somali live in Southern Somali and Northern Kenya, but I also found out that some of them migrated to Chad and Sudan 100's years ago. Also their are Somalis from Somaliland who migrated to England as sea 100 years and intermarried with Carribeans, whites and other Africans.. I even have the picture this Somali who half Carribean/half Welsh lady. So, Leba isn't possible that 34 million African American view might be able to trace their gene back to North East Africa as early as 500 years atleast...

Also my aunts husbands brother has two girls from this African American lady he was married to, are you going to say that they can't trace their gene back to North East Africa too?

Posts: 554 | From: Somaliland | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most Americans who are black are West African origin and probably Central African to a lesser degree. Brazil and Cuba, on the other hands has groups from Mozambique area. There is even a rhythm called 'mozambique' (mozambikay) once popular in Cuba!

Those with African ancestry from South America also have ancestry from Muslim areas in North and West Africa. Some sources (by phenotype) identifying groups as Hausa, Fulo along with the usual Yoruba and Yoruba speaking groups.

In Mexico (Vera Cruz area) there is even a shipload of Filipinos/Chinese who were brought over as slaves!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com