EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Blackness: Skintone vs. Race

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackness: Skintone vs. Race
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Brown-skinned Egyptians

Syrian, Nubian, Lybian, Egyptian

Alot of people in the debate over Ancient Egypt's Blackness like to use Nubians as a reference of what "real Blacks" are like when it is convenient to them (otherwise they will try to White Wash Ancient Nubians as well).

These people often try to overemphasize the Blackness of Nubia as it relates to skintone.

But how many Modern Nubians are actually BLACK?

For that matter how many "Black" people around the world or people around the world in general for that matter are so dark in skintone as to warrant being considered "Black skinned?

I myself have a reddish-brown skintone, among American Blacks I would be considered mid-toned.

But when is a person considered dark-brown skinned and when are they considered Black skinned?

The purpose is to see which major populations really should be considered Black-skinned on average.

Pictures are very welcomed.

This woman has what I would consider to be Black skin although in reality it is just a very dark brown.

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mansa, I asked you before not to post something like this. Not only has this topic been posted before (multiple times) but we have ENOUGH race topics!!!
Posts: 26349 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

You forgot to put off-topic,Mansa Musa.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry guys I'm not too keen on the rules of the forum...
Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Well can we atleast considered this an officially active, off-topic subject?

This topic has much more to do with skintone than race.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mansa Musa:
Well can we atleast considered this an officially active, off-topic subject?

This topic has much more to do with skintone than race.

I don't like it! We have simply gone over this too many times! Instead of just opening up this thread you might as well have looked in the archives!!

Ausar can u please delete this thread or something, we too many of these as it is?!

[This message has been edited by Djehuti (edited 08 October 2005).]

Posts: 26349 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
I types in "Black Skin".

I don't yet see a topic on it.

Djehuti, I'll take your word for it that something similar to this has been discussed before but understand that I and many people are new to this forum, just about everything that is being discussed on the front page has been discussed before. If you can reference a thread directly that answers my questions please do, however I do not feel that this thread is so redundant that it is not worthy of being discussed.

Isis the Woman
Member # 9251

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isis the Woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the people want to discuss this topic

---then why do you try to CENSOR it?

EVERYONE in the world is debating color issues and the color of blackness.

It is the #1 topic of interest on the planet.

Why are you SO AFRAID to have people discuss what they want to say?

Are you afraid that people will realize how BLACK the ancient Egyptians were?

This is very WRONG of you to BAN this person from speaking their mind.

This is AMERICA!

Posts: 42 | From: Paseo, Ca. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Isis the Woman:

This is AMERICA!

Correction: This is the "INTERNET"!

And even in America, contrary to popular belief, certain speech against authorities can get you arrested, or in some other kind of trouble. Enough said!

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
relaxx
Member # 7530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for relaxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This is AMERICA!

In your dreams...this is the Internet, the audience is an international and is sometime annoyed by race related issues brought up most often by people who live in America where as we all know there is a serious dysfunctional social fabric. I'm personally from Africa and don't care about the color of your skin, Isis.
Relaxx

Posts: 577 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If the people want to discuss this topic

---then why do you try to CENSOR it?

EVERYONE in the world is debating color issues and the color of blackness.

It is the #1 topic of interest on the planet.

Why are you SO AFRAID to have people discuss what they want to say?

Are you afraid that people will realize how BLACK the ancient Egyptians were?

This is very WRONG of you to BAN this person from speaking their mind.

This is AMERICA!

Isis, the problem is that this issue has been discussed too many times!

quote:
Mansa says:I types in "Black Skin".
I don't yet see a topic on it.

Mansa, type in "skin color" and I assure you you will get many hits!

Ausar has already presented a study that showed Sub-Saharan Africans possess the greatest range in skin pigmentation from yellowish-brown Khoisans to jet-black Sudanese and all the shades in between!

Case closed!!

Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
This thread's, only purpose was to determine just how BLACK most people in the world actually are. I think its a good topic, it has probably been discussed before but I think Djehuti is exaggerating its redundancy.

We all know "Black" people come in different shades. That is NOT the topic of the thread. Very few of us in America atleast know how dark on average other populations are.

Some people are of the impression that those with a medium brown skin tone like they average African-American must be of mixed race or of a very heterogenous population.

Many think the average African population is extremely dark in skintone even though some of the most homogenous populations such as the Bushmen have light brown skin.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss populations and skintone not just of people who are considered to be Black but all over the world. If it has been discussed here before it obviously has not sank in with some people because they still try to divide people by skintone. I just wanted to make a thread to give the topic a fresh new beginning.

Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Mansa, type in "skin color" and I assure you you will get many hits!

Ausar has already presented a study that showed Sub-Saharan Africans possess the greatest range in skin pigmentation from yellowish-brown Khoisans to jet-black Sudanese and all the shades in between!

Case closed!!

If so I'd like to see this study, I don't want to have to fish through a million threads for it. I'm looking for something very specific and that his where are the darkest populations in the world. Are "jet-black" Sudanese like the woman I posted really that common? How does that contrast with the other populations in Eastern Africa, below Sudan and around Sudan? If the study covers that than please show me I'd like to see it. There is no reason to get so excited, I'm sure this back and fourth nonsense between Evil Euro and the other members annoys different members just as much as you are annoyed.

It certainly annoys me, I've seen threads where they argue the same crap over a year ago, it is beyond redundant.

Skin color shades may be a simplistic topic but if it has been discussed so many times maybe good studies should be dragged up for people to see.

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Mansa Musa, that we've certainly witnessed redundancy with ginzo, and so, this topic and others like it, isn't the exception.

As far as, Mansa Musa's inquiry about Ausar's earlier post on skin color, here it is again...

Human skin color diversity is highest in sub-Saharan African populations.

Relethford JH.

Department of Anthropology, State University of New York College at Oneonta, 13820, USA.

Previous studies of genetic and craniometric traits have found higher levels of within-population diversity in sub-Saharan Africa compared to other geographic regions. This study examines regional differences in within-population diversity of human skin color. Published data on skin reflectance were collected for 98 male samples from eight geographic regions: sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa, Europe, West Asia, Southwest Asia, South Asia, Australasia, and the New World. Regional differences in local within-population diversity were examined using two measures of variability: the sample variance and the sample coefficient of variation. For both measures, the average level of within-population diversity is higher in sub-Saharan Africa than in other geographic regions. This difference persists even after adjusting for a correlation between within-population diversity and distance from the equator. Though affected by natural selection, skin color variation shows the same pattern of higher African diversity as found with other traits.

Here is a link to the abstract!

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com