EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Does it matter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does it matter?
Luxorlife
Member # 9763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luxorlife   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could somebody please explain why it seems so necessary to determine whether the Ancient Egyptians were black or white?

The only explanation I can see for the tedious rubbish that occupies megabytes of this forum is that some people are trying to pursue a racist agenda - the blacks trying to 'prove' that a black race could produce a major civilisation, and the white supremacists trying to 'prove' that the blacks could not have done so!

Why is the issue of colour important? What political motivation do the posters have in peddling pseudoscience - no disrespect to those who clearly expound on genetics - but the issue seems so trivial as to be unworthy of academia.

Posts: 26 | From: Luxor | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you feel about pursuing the truth in favor of putting African history in proper perspective as a motivation?

Read this:

Studies and Comments on Ancient Egyptian Biological Relationships, by S.O.Y. Keita, History in Africa, (1993) 20: 129-154

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for walklikeanegyptian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luxorlife, the reason it matters is because in order to truly understand Egyptian civilization, it is important to know the details, which include Ancient Egypt's cultural and ethnic roots.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Luxorlife

It would seem that the issue of the "race" of the AEs is something that obsesses scholars of European extraction much, much more than people of African e xtraction.

Think of all those books written by European scholars about Egyptian civilisation---always with the caveat that "they were not negroes".

And today, why did those who are hosting the Tut museum exhibition go through all those changes to fabricate a prominently displayed Tut bust when hundreds of his likeness is available--including that well-know Golden Mask?

The reason why European scholars are so obsessed with the "race" of the AEs is obvious. For the last several centuries they have gotten away with a wholesale slandering of people of African descent in terms of their capacities for human accomplishment. This has allowed them to play with the natural rights, privileges and freedoms of such people. And there is strong material interest in keeping things that way.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anacalypsis
Member # 5928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anacalypsis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walk

I agree.. I mean how could you begin to understand what the ancient Chinese, were like if you do not know anything about their origins (ethnicity, background, cultural practices, etc.)

The same holds true for the Mesoamericans, the ancient Huns, the ancient Polynesians, etc.. imagine speaking about these ancient peoples minus the concept of race/ethnicity/cultural origins.

--------------------
anacalypsis

Posts: 142 | From: University Height, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anacalypsis:
...imagine speaking about these ancient peoples minus the concept of race/ethnicity/cultural origins.

Strangely enough this is exactly the way Egypt is taught these days! For years people have tried to learn about Egyptian culture and have failed to fully understand it because of their lack of knowledge on African culture which in turn is due to their unwillingness to tie Egypt to Africa. Only rarely have their been scholars in the past who have been able to make a connection. Scholars like Petrie and Budge for example.

Luxorlife, you may not realize it but Egyptian culture is so African it is ridiculous! I myself am learning something African about it almost everyday, yet to think that Egypt is still taugt as a "Near-Eastern" civilization!!!

Posts: 26280 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotep2u
Member # 9820

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotep2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings

Luxorlife wrote:
Could somebody please explain why it seems so necessary to determine whether the Ancient Egyptians were black or white?

The only explanation I can see for the tedious rubbish that occupies megabytes of this forum is that some people are trying to pursue a racist agenda - the blacks trying to 'prove' that a black race could produce a major civilisation, and the white supremacists trying to 'prove' that the blacks could not have done so!

Why is the issue of colour important? What political motivation do the posters have in peddling pseudoscience - no disrespect to those who clearly expound on genetics - but the issue seems so trivial as to be unworthy of academia.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well if you would like a sincere answer from a African American well here it is.
First lets get one thing straight black people or what ever name you or might want to call the members of the human race that carry the physical features of wooly hair and melanin induced darkened skin complexion do not want to claim Egypt or any other civilization for that matter, we are not trying to blackwash anything here. What we so called Africans are trying to do is find the truth about history and what type of participation that we contributed towards the human experience from the past to the present day.
It seems that some people don't understand what life is like for a individual who has been lied to all their lives when it pertains to past accomplishments of their ancestors, because when you are told from a early age that your ancestors were nomadic pagan savages that served no purpose in life until the european came and enslaved them. Then obviously you don't want to know anything about your past and as a result of not knowing the TRUTH about your past then you are left in a state of perpetual ignorance always wondering if your ancestors were really a bunch of savages living like wild animals.
This might shock some people but alot of black people here in the west really believe that our ancestors did nothing productive within the history of Africa.
So when the numerous African historians came on the scene and began writing books documenting with numerous facts about the TRUTH about the past accomplishements of Afica and Africans in general, then a veil of ignorance was lifted from the eyes of the children of former victims of the Black Holocaust.
So let me tell you that if you haven't experienced racism in the form of europeans trying to deceitfully steal and claim someone elses history first hand then you don't have a clue about why the TRUTH and nothing but the TRUTH about Africa and the Africans becomes so important. Due to the fact that all human beings need the truth in order to understand where we have been and what we have done in the past, so now only the TRUTH becomes acceptable in this day and time so if the facts point to the truth of Ancient Egypt being just one of many numerous accomplishments of the Africans on the African Diaspora then so let it be, I make no apologies for the facts if the facts point to Ancient Egyptians being the children of Afrikah then so let it be and to all those who lied and tried to cover up the truth in order to maintain a racist agenda then shame on them and shame for the lies they tell because TRUTH conquers all FALSEHOOD no matter how numerous are the lies or how powerful the LIARS might be.
So luxorlife if you hate the fact that Africans played a major role in the Ancient Egyptian civilization then that's your problem not ours academia didn't create history. Human beings created history, so tell the so called scholars who wish to patent and lay claims to what and how history should be told that they are only fooling themselves, humanities children want to know the truth not the racist opinions of those racist fools who think they are sitting on a High position, when in actuallity they show themselves to be low,immoral and corrupt to the core. so if racist academics think they can dictate what is worthy and what isn't worthy, tell them that their credibility is on the line and based on the facts they have proved themselves unworthy to read much less write humanities true history.

TRUTH SEEKERS ONLY WANT THE TRUTH BECAUSE LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WASTE IT LISTENING TO LIARS TALKING B.S.

Hotep

--------------------
TruthSeeker

Posts: 477 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs. Doubtfire
Member # 9731

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Doubtfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black races of Africa in Egyptian dynastic times, such as the Sudanese, were highly cannabalistic like the Egyptians. As cannabalism seems to be a trait of the black races, it does rather suggest that Egyptians were genrally black. White races never quite went in for such cannabilism and there are even accounts of blacks refusing to eat whites because of their colour. It does rather suggest, therefore, that the Egyptians were black cannibals. [Eek!]
Posts: 304 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ More racist non-sense.
Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
White races never quite went in for such cannabilism
Roman writers also wrote about Irish cannibals, and last time I checked, people in Ireland were white.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Doubtfire:
Black races of Africa in Egyptian dynastic times, such as the Sudanese, were highly cannabalistic like the Egyptians. As cannabalism seems to be a trait of the black races, it does rather suggest that Egyptians were genrally black. White races never quite went in for such cannabilism and there are even accounts of blacks refusing to eat whites because of their colour. It does rather suggest, therefore, that the Egyptians were black cannibals. [Eek!]

Oh Jesus Christ. [Roll Eyes]

With a name like Mrs. Doubtfire I should have known, but I was ready to give this person a benefit of the doubt, it looks however like we have another troll.

So now there are Black races and White races?

Where is your evidence that Cannibalism was a common practice in Ancient Egypt and the Ancient Sudan?

She didn't start going on about this crap until I mentioned Celtic Cannibalism for which I provided a SOURCE (it was not even the main focus of the quote).

Perhaps Mrs. Doubtfire is British, judging by her spelling of "color" and felt offended at hearing about Ancient Britons practicing cannibalism. I assure you the Romans were not slandering.

Cannibalistic Celts discovered in South Gloucestershire

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
With a name like Mrs. Doubtfire I should have known

It's a "Greek" name. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot belive what I just read from Mrs. Doubtfire why would people write such stupidness. If she feels bad about the celtics she should not take it out on another race. Why would she troll like this this is as bad as evil euro. I hope this is just a one time thing and is not the norm. Does she have any proof for what she said?
Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KING:
I cannot belive what I just read from Mrs. Doubtfire why would people write such stupidness. If she feels bad about the celtics she should not take it out on another race. Why would she troll like this this is as bad as evil euro. I hope this is just a one time thing and is not the norm. Does she have any proof for what she said?

I believe the poor lady just feels bad about black Africans creating a great civilization which is why she resorts to Eurocentric doctrine #8: IF IT WAS NOT WHITE, AND ITS GREATNESS IS UNDENIABLE, THEN IT MUST BE DEPRECATED IN SOME WAY

Unfortunately her remarks are just baseless foolishness.

As I said, Egyptians and Nubians did NOT practice ritualized cannibalism! There is evidence that there was survival cannibalism at the end of the Old Kingdom which was brought about because of a drought but that's it! Nile Valley peoples did not make it a custom or habit to kill and eat people!!

Nor is such a thing associated with 'black races'. The black people which had cannibalism as a custom were the natives of New Guinea and the Pacific, but I doubt their custom had anything to do with skin color. Cannibalism is was perhaps universal considering that new scientific evidence based on rare genes which may cause immunity from Mad Cow's disease show that ALL human populations have some history of cannibalsim!

Posts: 26280 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com