EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ancient Egyptians in ancient foreign art (picture thread)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ancient Egyptians in ancient foreign art (picture thread)
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Roman Pompeii

-

-

From a Greek piece of pottery (Hercules vs Egyptian priests

-

From a piece of Roman pottery depicting Egyptians

-

Byzantine painting of Biblical characters meeting Egyptians

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is not Ancient Egypt, but I found it of interest.

quote:
Originally posted by Ausar (February 22, 2004):

St. George was not a Coptic saint but is still recognized by the Coptic Church. Some of his iconography of slaying the dragon might go back to the times where Re on the barque slew Apep.[/qb]

A fine and early wooden triptych door panel, having a multi-color and gilt painted depiction of St. George slaying the dragon. Early Russian script above each figures head identifies the scene or patron.

Saint George (c. 275/280–April 23, 303) was a soldier of the Roman Empire and later Christian martyr.

Auction Piece sold for $1,500 -- See full scene at Arte Primitivo

-

On the other hand, the tale of George and the Dragon is widely considered among secular historians to share a common theme with the ancient Greek myth of Ethiopian princess Andromeda and her saviour and later husband Perseus, slayer of the gorgon Medusa. According to this myth, Perseus beheaded Medusa and George his Dragon in a shared theme of decapitation. Perseus' meeting with Andromeda was placed in her native Ethiopia. In several versions, George meets his Dragon in Libya (North Africa west of Egypt). Both locales can be interpreted to represent distant chthonic kingdoms of magic. The saving of the king's daughter is another shared theme as is the reward-bargain exacted by the respective hero of the stories: Possession of the princess for Perseus and the mass baptism of the king's subjects for George.

Saint George information at Wikipedia

Another photo of St. George here

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greek depiction of a Libyan 'Amazon' praying before an altar

-

Notice the similarity with the Egyptian altar below

-

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these altars depicted on the Greek vases really how Egyptian altars look like, and if so, what is the significance of the shape or form??

To me, they look reminiscent of the Egyptian hieroglyph for 'nub' (gold).

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know about these altars and any connections they had with Libya??
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From St. Martin's Basilica, in Venice(Italy)

-

-

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly this Persian relief from 470 BC depicts an Egyptian subject of Xerxes I:
 -

And this would be a Kushite:
 -

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromeda2025
Member # 22772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andromeda2025     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top relief looks semetic to me. Especially his fringed garments. I don't believe Egyptians wore fringes. I could be wrong of course.
Posts: 165 | From: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by Punos_Rey:
From St. Martin's Basilica, in Venice(Italy)

-

Thinking more about this, what would have given these medieval European artists the idea to represent Egyptians as black people? I would have thought that most Egyptians as late as the medieval Islamic period would have looked closer to how they do today. Would this portrayal have been based on earlier Greco-Roman descriptions of Egyptians as dark-skinned or something?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com