EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Nile Valley hairdos as reminders of the modern styles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nile Valley hairdos as reminders of the modern styles
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cornrows & Braids

This was posted on the Nile Valley forum, but relevant here:

-
young girl with cornrows preserved

Source: http://www.nd.edu/~sheridan/HHMIcollections.html

-  -  -

Courtesy of waldof edu via cox.net

Good ‘ol big Afro was popular then too...

-
Nubian - Persepolis

-
Egyptian...showing off his 'fro

More to follow...

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Youth side-lock
 -

-

Nick-named Fuzzy Wuzzies

-  -

More ideas are welcome...

--------------------
Truth - a liar penetrating device!

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supercar great post. It makes one think about how things chnage--but remain the same.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

Didn't the Egyptians also wear weaves or extensions?

-

-

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The side-lock of youth is worn by children in many African societies.

-

I believe Arara mentioned that royal children are distinguished from common ones by a gold earring.

Ramases as a child

-

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick-named Fuzzy Wuzzies

-  -

And Egyptian man

-

I have a hard time finding some but does anyone have pictures of what Egyptologists call the 'round wig'??

Such style wigs were popular in Egypt.

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

And Egyptian man

-

I have a hard time finding some but does anyone have pictures of what Egyptologists call the 'round wig'??

Such style wigs were popular in Egypt.

Clarification only: not implying the guy above is wearing a "round wig", are you?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^No car, I've seen that wooden depiction before and I know that the guy's hair is natural.

Usually the round wigs are much rounder and most of all, like all Egyptian wigs, they cover the ears.

I was just asking if anyone has any pics of Egyptians wearing round wigs. There already an ample amount of pics showing Egyptians with their natural 'fros!

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, ancient Egyptian women wore extensions or unnatural hair braided in with their original hair. Rural Egyptian fellahin females also wore extensions untill recently. Nubian children wore the side lock of youth as documented by Amelia Edwards. Most Egyptian females shaved their heads or wore wigs like the ones shown. One exaception is the scene of the little girl in the tomb of Nebamun Fowling in the Marshes.

Don't know about the round wigs but Pepi I or II is shown with this type of wig I believe.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Yeah, ancient Egyptian women wore extensions or unnatural hair braided in with their original hair. Rural Egyptian fellahin females also wore extensions untill recently...

So I guess it's true that Egyptian women were no different from some West African women or even African American women for that matter!

It's no wonder that many of the women's hairstyles I've seen in the tomb paintings, I can also see in downtown Decatur! LOL [Big Grin]

Seriously though!

quote:
Nubian children wore the side lock of youth as documented by Amelia Edwards.
So I've heard. I wonder why some Egyptologists and some other sources still associate the side-lock of youth to royalty when there are so many common people wearing them.

quote:
Most Egyptian females shaved their heads or wore wigs like the ones shown. One exaception is the scene of the little girl in the tomb of Nebamun Fowling in the Marshes.
How do they know that the little girl has her natural hair?

quote:
Don't know about the round wigs but Pepi I or II is shown with this type of wig I believe.
Actually I've seen it alot in countless pictures of various other royals and nobles, but for some reason I don't see that many on the net.
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was just asking if anyone has any pics of Egyptians wearing round wigs. There already an ample amount of pics showing Egyptians with their natural 'fros!

Not sure if this counts:

-

Kiya: Mother of King Tutankhamun
18th Dynasty, Egypt

One knee on the ground and the other up and forward in a kneeling position. Her arms are raised before her in prayer. She wears a Nubian wig often seen on Amarna's royal women.

Image and text from the book Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs, by Zahi Hawass, National Geographic, 2005.

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti said:

quote:
So I've heard. I wonder why some Egyptologists and some other sources still associate the side-lock of youth to royalty when there are so many common people wearing them
Might be mostly because what evidence we have of ancient Egyptian life comes from nobel people or royalthy. Very little artwork is of the lowerclasses and their children exist. You have to understand that Egyptology is often theorethical and based upon scant evidence.

quote:
Most Egyptian females shaved their heads or wore wigs like the ones shown. One exaception is the scene of the little girl in the tomb of Nebamun Fowling in the Marshes.
Djehuti said:

quote:
How do they know that the little girl has her natural hair?
Because the braids growing out of her head has no white band on it like the examples in the Banquet scene.

Here is the picture of Nebamun and his family:

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass/ixbin/goto?id=OBJ48

__Notice the little girl on the bottom. Wish I had a way to make the picture more close up but this was all I could find.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear is king Tut wearing a roundwig.
 -

I also found this Amenhotep the 3rd wearing round wig.
 -
This also looks like someone wearing round wigs.
 -

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some real quality posts on this forum lately. [Smile]
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
Not sure if this counts:

-

Actually it doesn't. What Kiya has is the 'Nubian' wig, which is a braided style. The 'round' wig is just, well... round.

King just provided excellent examples.

Here is a deity with a round wig.

-

And here is Tiye of course.

-

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article talks about the many hair styles in Ancient Egypt.

Hair in Ancient Egypt

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Speaking of Kiya's style of wig, exactly why did Egyptologists choose to call such a style 'Nubian' in the first place??

Is such a style really connected to any 'Nubian' people?

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
 -

Speaking of Kiya's style of wig, exactly why did Egyptologists choose to call such a style 'Nubian' in the first place??

Is such a style really connected to any 'Nubian' people?

Good question. My guess is that the wigs are the styles of what was worn in Nubia. They both had much more in common than just hair styles.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^As far as having more in common than hairstyles, we all know that, but my question is whether the said style of wig was a style that was conceived by 'Nubians' first and then adopted by the Egyptians??
Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
Djehuti:

So I've heard. I wonder why some Egyptologists and some other sources still associate the side-lock of youth to royalty when there are so many common people wearing them.

Indeed; with regards to the general populace, we are told...

"As children grew, they apparently had carefree periods in their lives. There have been many toys and games found in excavations, and paintings showing children playing together. The children wrestled, raced, played tug of war, used small doll-like figures of animals, boats, balls, and danced, just like children do today. They had birds or dogs for pets. Very young children often went naked, or with girdles around their waists. Their hair was worn in a braided plait, with the end rolled up in a curl, the familiar "sidelock" of youth." - Marie Parsons, Childbirth and Children in Ancient Egypt

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
What about the 'Nubian' wig?? Who first coined the term and why? Did the style really originate from 'Nubia'?
Keins
Member # 6476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the validity of calling the wig Nubian?
Are they (eurocentrist) insinuating that:

1)It originate in the gold mine regions of Ancient Egypt.
2)It did not originate in Ancient Egypt at all.
3)It was not part of ancient egypt's culture) and came from outside of Anceint Egypt?

quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
quote:

Not sure if this counts:

-

Kiya: Mother of King Tutankhamun
18th Dynasty, Egypt

One knee on the ground and the other up and forward in a kneeling position. Her arms are raised before her in prayer. She wears a Nubian wig often seen on Amarna's royal women.

Image and text from the book Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs, by Zahi Hawass, National Geographic, 2005.

Posts: 318 | From: PA. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haru
Member # 14261

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Akhenaton's daughter
 -
Himba woman

Posts: 15 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Excellent thread.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Haru:

-
Akhenaton's daughter
 -
Himba woman

Actually sorry to point out again, but the Egyptian depiction of Akhenaton's daughter, Ankhesenamun (which is also Tut's wife and half-sister) is not hair on top of her head but another crown! It is the crown of cobras commonly worn by royal women. LOL

Dude, I suggest you first try to distinguish what is hair and what is headdress first before you can make any comparisons. [Big Grin]

Haru
Member # 14261

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually sorry to point out again, but the Egyptian depiction of Akhenaton's daughter, Ankhesenamun (which is also Tut's wife and half-sister) is not hair on top of her head but another crown! It is the crown of cobras commonly worn by royal women. LOL

Dude, I suggest you first try to distinguish what is hair and what is headdress first before you can make any comparisons.

I did not make any comparison with the hair.I did not even make any comments on my post!,I just posted 2 pictures.
Yes,I know how to distinguish what is hair and what is headdress.
Yes,I know what is the crown of cobras commonly worn by royal women.
Did you notice anything in common with this 2 Pictures?

Posts: 15 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabalour   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could any of you people explain me how was the well-known nHs colored haircut made?

Do you think it was made in a somehow similar way to this Turkana man's?

-

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Haru:

I did not make any comparison with the hair.I did not even make any comments on my post!,I just posted 2 pictures.
Yes,I know how to distinguish what is hair and what is headdress.
Yes,I know what is the crown of cobras commonly worn by royal women.
Did you notice anything in common with this 2 Pictures?

[Confused] Not really? What do you see that is common? I suggest maybe comparing closer groups such as East Africans and even West Africans on the other side of the Sahara. Not that there isn't anything similar with them at all , but I just caution agaisnt comparisons with distant groups like the Himba.
quote:
Originally posted by COTONOU_BY_NIGHT:

Could any of you people explain me how was the well-known nHs colored haircut made?

Do you think it was made in a somehow similar way to this Turkana man's?

-

Many Nilotic groups use ochre or clay to dye their hair. I believe that maybe red clay he has on his head.

The Egyptians mainly used henna to dye their hair red which is also used by groups like the Beja and even those in the Horn.

Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabalour   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^
Yes, but what about the nHsjw hairstyle I asked about in my post above?

-

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
If you are implying a Nilotic connection with the Nehesi, of course! I have noticed that a long time ago.

The ostrich feather as well as the red and sometimes yellow dyed hair is exactly like the kind Nilotic peoples like Turkana and Shilluk wear.

Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Thanks, but again what I'm wondering if that the same use of clay to color hair was likely used by nHsjw.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ That's what it sure looks like from the tomb paintings, but of course these don't do as good a job in conveying details as photos woud.

-

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Notice many of the Nehesi above have blonde colored hair as well. I have noticed Nilotic people who dye their hair blonde as well as red.
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Are those hair or wigs; what are the indicators you're going by, for whatever the answer is?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
There is nothing specific. Only that there are Nilotic groups today that have strikingly similar hairstyles-- hair that has been dyed with ochre or clay.
HornAfrican
Member # 14279

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HornAfrican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting
Posts: 53 | From: Iran | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com