EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » origin of a name

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: origin of a name
walklikeanegyptian
Member # 8246

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for walklikeanegyptian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am interested about the origin of a female name. the name Shani, i have heard, is both used in Swahili speaking countries and in Egypt. Ausar might know how common the name is in Egypt. also what are some of the most common names (both male and female) in Egypt?
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say much about common names in contemporary Egypt, but in terms of ancient Egypt, I do have something to share about that, if you don't mind...

Naming children:

“The parents would lose no time in giving their child a name. Some Egyptians had very short names such as Ti or Abi, others had a complete phrase, such as Djedptahioufankh, meaning "Ptah says he will live." Names may have pointed to physical qualities, such as Pakamen, the blind one, or to occupations, such as Pakapu, the birdcatcher.” - Marie Parsons, Childbirth and Children in Ancient Egypt

And…

In honor or in sponsorship of a deity, picked names like: Hori after Horus, Seti after Seti, Ameni after Amun, the name “Manetho” denoting “protection of the Theban deity Montu”, Mutemwia means "Mut is in her bark," symbolizing the notion that “on the day of this girl’s birth, there was a procession of the goddess Mut”, and the likes of Amenhotep, Khnumhotep, Ptahhotep, Senwosret, or Amenehat, “signify that the god was in front of or the father of the child” (M. Parsons). For instance, Siamun denoting the “children of the god Amun.”, while Senwosret’s name denoting son/child “of the Theban goddess Wosret”.

After named, the child was registered with the authorities, in what Nenoferkaptah referred to as the “House of Life”, for legal purposes, and in connection with inheritance and taxation. For instance, wife of Nenoferkaptah, princess Ahori notes:

"I gave birth to this baby that you see, who was named Merab and whose name was entered into the registers of the House of Life."

Unless stated otherwise, the above are personal composition based on Marie Parsons’ notes I came across on touregypt.net some time back.

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com