EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Did the Egyptians dye their hair blonde?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did the Egyptians dye their hair blonde?
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading an article at Tour Egypt about diet, and I came across this image:

-

I swear, these guys all dyed their hair blonde just like Beyonce does!

Funny thing is, this doesn't seem to be very common in Egyptian art, and yet here we have a whole crowd of people with their hair dyed blonde!

Posts: 7081 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe this shows they've had European slaves?
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Underpants Man:

I swear, these guys all dyed their hair blonde just like Beyonce does!

LMAO [Big Grin]

I doubt it. They either had skull caps on, or it was a convention to show that their heads were recently shaved (the color of the scalp would be lighter since it hasn't been exposed to the sun too long).

MYkingdom, if these were European slaves then they would be depicted with other European features like pale skin which is the Egyptians very much pointed out among people like the Tamahu (white Libyans).

Posts: 26260 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, while I don't know about 'blonde', I do know that the Egyptians did wear wigs that were dyed blue but sometimes red and even green.

-

Posts: 26260 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
. . . . it was a convention to show that their heads were recently shaved (the color of the scalp would be lighter since it hasn't been exposed to the sun too long).

I agree. [Wink]

-

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingspirit :)
Member # 11660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingspirit :)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tamahu are moroccon tribes not Libyans

--------------------
Always remembering that we are nothing without His Merciful hand over us.

Posts: 284 | From: gods heaven | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingspirit :)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry am wrong they are lybyans however i googled it and this is what i had... very interesting indeed enjoy:
Blond in Old-Egypt

In the 3th millennium BC the hair color of the old-Lybian Tamahu becomes provable
in Egypt. (Helck)
"Up to the late Early Period (and in later copies): Skin of men and women red-brown,
with women yellow, black hair, boys with close-cropped hair , but men and women
withlong, easily waved strands falling down on chest and shoulder and with an
Ureaus-like high-standing front curl. Men all with pointed chin beard -----
----- after the Early Period: Skin very brightly (white-rosy, yellow-rosy, light yellow,
light brown) and usually with black tattooing- - - Eyes with blue, redbrown or black
iris; the old hairdress red or red-brown, tuft hair-style and beard, pointedly chin
beard, either red-brown with black detail design for curled strands and oneside braids."

--------------------

Posts: 284 | From: gods heaven | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I believe that hair color/form yields
clues that can identify nationalized foreigners.

I've asked before about supposed skull caps but
got no reply. They're prominent in old movies
about Egyptians but are they archaeologically
evident? I'm just asking becuase I don't know
and have never seen museum examples of skull
caps that exactly like a haircut as in the
pic.

Doesn't mean they don't exist, I just
want a tangible example because judging from
the art either this shape is a natural hair
cut seen in all colors of hair, or their should
be many thousands of these skull caps laying
around somewhere.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discussion about the Tamahu at egypt search [more info]
Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen several examples of Egyptians wearing skull caps.

Others I've seen were those of certain gods like Ptah, and others still show Puntite men wearing them.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing I've heard a lot of talk about is
blonde Tjemehu but so far I haven't come across
any such thing in AE painting.

In fact, the document pointed to as evidence of
blonde Tjmhhw, Book of Gates: Gate of Teka Hra -
vignette 30, actually shows blonde and red haired
Nehesu ("nubians") whose hair color I suppose is
from gold dust although modern southern Sudanese
use red and yellow ochre to color the entire body.

Can someone please tell me where I can find an
AE painting with blonde "Libyans." (I have written
reference of bonde Cyrenaican women.)

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THis reminds of me hearing some years ago about the hair of Ramasees II(I think it was Ramasees....?) some years ago. It was about his hair in the coffin being a blondish color. So people used to say that he was Caucasian or whatever....that was until they found out that after a few thousand years that the color of the hair on the scalp undergoes a change.......Hence, blond wasn't the original color of Ramasees hair................I read this some years ago in an African Journal magazine. I'll try to surf the web and see if I find it. Salaam
Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
The Hierakonpolis Expedition website article

Archaeological Hair
by Andrew Wilson

The common misconception that all hair turns red over archaeological timescales has found its way into archaeological folklore. Whilst certain environments such as those producing bog bodies are known to yield hair of a red-brown color, in part because of the breakdown of organic matter and presence of humic acids which impart a brown color to recovered remains, it has commonly been assumed that this happens to all archaeological hair. This concept has been perpetuated by popular nicknames such as "Ginger"--affectionately given to the Predynastic burial with red hair on display in the mummy rooms at the British Museum.

Potential change to hair color can be explained more scientifically by examining the chemistry of melanin which is responsible for hair color in life. All hair contains a mixture in varying concentration of both black-brown eumelanin and red-yellow phaeomelanin pigments, which are susceptible to differential chemical change under certain extreme burial conditions (for example wet reducing conditions, or dry oxidising conditions). Importantly, phaeomelanin is much more stable to environmental conditions than eumelanin, hence the reactions occurring in the burial environment favor the preservation of phaeomelanin, revealing and enhancing the red/yellow color of hairs containing this pigment. Color changes occur slowly under dry oxidising conditions, such as in the burials in sand at Hierakonpolis. Whether the conditions within the wood and plaster coffin contributed to accelerated color change, or whether this individual naturally had more phaeomelanin pigmentation in his hair is hard to say without further analysis.

Source: Hierakonpolis Expedition

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Israel:
Hence, blond wasn't the original color of Ramasees hair

L’Oréal brings to life contents of 4,000 year-old cosmetics

8 April 2002 - L’Oréal Research, the scientific research and development arm of L’Oréal – the world’s leading cosmetics company - has revealed the beauty secrets of the Ancient Egyptians at three simultaneous exhibitions on the theme of "Perfumes and Cosmetics in Ancient Egypt". The findings will be showcased from today until 28 April 2002 in the Egyptian National Museum in Cairo, the Louvre in Paris and the Vieille Charité Museum in Marseilles.

The findings of the research include the analysis of contents of an Egyptian vanity case, which prove that the cosmetics business was already a science 4000 years ago.

In 1996, L’Oréal Research was invited by the French Museums’ Research and Restoration Centre (C2RMF) to lend its expertise in analysing 49 cosmetics jars from the Louvre’s Egyptian Antiquities collection. Initial findings in 1999 focused on eye make-up and revealed the intricate processes used by Ancient Egyptians for producing make-up to care for, protect and embellish their eyes.

The initial research has now been followed up with research into make-up (foundation), body/skin care, perfume and hair care and reveals that cosmetics went much further than beautifying treatments. They were also used for medicinal and religious purposes – much like modern day treatments, such as aromatherapy.

Products such as anti-ageing creams, sun protection creams and hair dyes were found to be extensively used by the ancient Egyptians. In one study, the hair of Pharaoh Ramses II was shown to contain henna dye to give it a blonde-red colour.

Visitors to the exhibitions, the biggest and most comprehensive ever in Cairo, will be able to view raw materials and ingredients used in the production of cosmetics, as well as illustrations of cosmetic use, functionality and symbolism from 4000 years ago. The exhibition also proves just how advanced the Egyptians were as pharmacists. L’Oréal Research found ingredients in the cosmetic powders, which would not have been available to Ancient Egyptians naturally. This shows they were sophisticated enough to develop ingredients by chemical reproduction.

Each of the exhibitions will concentrate on the central theme, perfumes and cosmetics in Ancient Egypt. The Cairo Egyptian Museum will host the opening exhibition, whilst The Louvre will offer specific tours illustrating the findings and Marseilles will present objects on loan from The Louvre. [Source]

SIDE NOTE:

Monday August 30, 2004

Beyonce Signs Endorsement Deal with L'Oreal

Singer Beyonce Knowles has signed a $4.7 endorsement deal with L'Oreal. The five-year contract calls for her to work 10 days a year for photo shoots and to make promotional and personal appearances within that time.

-

L'Oreal has the option to extend those 10 days to 12 but will pay $25,000 a day for the extra time. Beyonce must keep her hair in "excellent condition" and notify the company if she plans to make "any radical change." [Source]

Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Myra,

you did the homework for me...... [Smile] [Cool] . Man, from Ramasees to Beyonce........3,000 years of human cosmetic decorations. Well, as long as Beyonce and Ramasees keep it/kept it real, I don't have a problem with it....... [Cool] . Salaam

Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I doubt it. They either had skull caps on, or it was a convention to show that their heads were recently shaved (the color of the scalp would be lighter since it hasn't been exposed to the sun too long).

You're assuming that the Egyptians' dark complexions came from tanning. I can't believe you of all people said that.

Personally, I don't find that argument convincing, unless someone could find me a picture of a nude Egyptian with "white spots" marking where clothes would protect the body from sun exposure.

Here's one naked woman, without such white spots.

Another image, with a nude girl.

-

Posts: 7081 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Man, from Ramasees to Beyonce........3,000 years of human cosmetic decorations. Well, as long as Beyonce and Ramasees keep it/kept it real, I don't have a problem with it....... [Cool] . Salaam

They could have asked me instead of Beyonce! I´m a real Egyptian with a kick ass ass too [Cool]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11660

Rate Member
honey you should see beyonce without make up, southern egyptian women are much superior in beauty too [Wink] we are the best..., not that i am from there but from over there lol [Smile]

--------------------

Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Kingdom said: They could have asked me instead of Beyonce! I´m a real Egyptian with a kick ass ass too

I am quite sure that you are correct Kingdom...... [Wink] . Salaam

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

reference of bonde Cyrenaican women.)

I don't have my p.c. at the moment and since the search engine is no longer available, I don't have the pictures of the red and blonde haired Libyans. The only picture I have is this

-
The Tamahu on the far left appears to have brown hair in this one.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

THis reminds of me hearing some years ago about the hair of Ramasees II(I think it was Ramasees....?) some years ago. It was about his hair in the coffin being a blondish color. So people used to say that he was Caucasian or whatever....that was until they found out that after a few thousand years that the color of the hair on the scalp undergoes a change.......Hence, blond wasn't the original color of Ramasees hair................I read this some years ago in an African Journal magazine. I'll try to surf the web and see if I find it. Salaam

I believe this is the article you are referring to: Hanging in the Hair

If you read it, it shows that the chemicals from the embalming process of mummification both bleaches hair as well as alters hair texture, and that these same chemicals are used today by African American women to 'perm' and bleach their hair.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You're assuming that the Egyptians' dark complexions came from tanning. I can't believe you of all people said that.

Personally, I don't find that argument convincing, unless someone could find me a picture of a nude Egyptian with "white spots" marking where clothes would protect the body from sun exposure.

LMAO [Big Grin]

You obviously misunderstand me. Of course I never said that the Egyptians' dark skin color came from "tanning"!! However, even dark colored skin can tan further, depending on how light the complexion so it's not just 'white' skin that tans (some whites can't tan at all but get burned).

Note that I base my conclusion on African American friends of mine who get their heads shaven. The complexion of their scalps are lighter than the rest of themselves naturally because the scalp has been previously covered by hair and not exposed.

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Note that I base my conclusion on African American friends of mine who get their heads shaven. The complexion of their scalps are lighter than the rest of themselves naturally because the scalp has been previously covered by hair and not exposed.]

My daughter is a beautician and she told me this:

This is because the hair acts as a barrier to sunlight, and as a result, the scalp hasn't had much opportunity to synthesize melanin (ie. tan).

Given sufficient exposure to sunlight, the scalp will tan and will eventually match the tone of the rest of the skin. For most people, a week or two is all it will take, given moderate exposure to the sun each day.

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

LMAO [Big Grin]

You obviously misunderstand me. Of course I never said that the Egyptians' dark skin color came from "tanning"!! However, even dark colored skin can tan further, depending on how light the complexion so it's not just 'white' skin that tans (some whites can't tan at all but get burned).

Note that I base my conclusion on African American friends of mine who get their heads shaven. The complexion of their scalps are lighter than the rest of themselves naturally because the scalp has been previously covered by hair and not exposed.

Correct. If I shave my head, where my hair used to be, my head is lighter in color than the rest of my head.
Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
As I've written time and again, that pic is Minutoli's
comparitively amateurish condensed repro of Book of
Gates Gate of Teka Hra vignette 30 as in Seti I's
tomb. I have a zoom hard copy of Lepsius' much
more exacting repro of the same as in the below jpeg

-

The Tjemehu in green is the only one that was intact
when the tomb explorers first found the painting.
The subject's natural hair color is chestnut. In
the anthropology of North African people they call
this color blonde though in fact it's brown.

This is what I've tried to get across many times.
This painting in Seti I's tomb is the very one that's
used whenever Egyptologists, anthropologists,
historians, and NorthAfricentric Amazigh activists
say the ancient "Libyans" were blonde.

So ok, if they're blondes, they're "chestnut blonde"
not the tow headed or yellow haired blondes of Europe.
So, in reality, they're not blonde at all.

At the same time, if you scrutinize the Nehesis'
hair you can see it's red and yellow, most likely
either due to sun exposure, gold dust, or ochre.

quote:
quote:

reference of blonde Cyrenaican women.)

I don't have my p.c. at the moment and since the search engine is no longer available, I don't have the pictures of the red and blonde haired Libyans. The only picture I have is this

-
The Tamahu on the far left appears to have brown hair in this one.

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Some more shaven heads

-

From the tomb of Djehutyhotep, 12th Dynasty . . . . the heads of the seal bearers and the servants are newly shaven, perhaps in prepreration for this journey: their skulls, normally covered with hair, are a lighter color than their faces and bodies.

Source: Eternal Egypt, Russmann (2001) page 94

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

As I've written time and again, that pic is Minutoli's
comparitively amateurish condensed repro of Book of
Gates Gate of Teka Hra vignette 30 as in Seti I's
tomb. I have a zoom hard copy of Lepsius' much
more exacting repro of the same as in the below jpeg

-

The Tjemehu in green is the only one that was intact
when the tomb explorers first found the painting.
The subject's natural hair color is chestnut. In
the anthropology of North African people they call
this color blonde though in fact it's brown.

This is what I've tried to get across many times.
This painting in Seti I's tomb is the very one that's
used whenever Egyptologists, anthropologists,
historians, and NorthAfricentric Amazigh activists
say the ancient "Libyans" were blonde.

So ok, if they're blondes, they're "chestnut blonde"
not the tow headed or yellow haired blondes of Europe.
So, in reality, they're not blonde at all.

At the same time, if you scrutinize the Nehesis'
hair you can see it's red and yellow, most likely
either due to sun exposure, gold dust, or ochre.

There was another tomb painting though, in which a Tamahu man is depicted with reddish hair, and another which depicted women with blonde hair although I'm not sure if the women were Libyans or of another origin.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:

Some more shaven heads

-

From the tomb of Djehutyhotep, 12th Dynasty . . . . the heads of the seal bearers and the servants are newly shaven, perhaps in prepreration for this journey: their skulls, normally covered with hair, are a lighter color than their faces and bodies.

Source: Eternal Egypt, Russmann (2001) page 94

excellent show, Myra.
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
 -

Source: KV 17 (Sety I)

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yom:

Correct. If I shave my head, where my hair used to be, my head is lighter in color than the rest of my head.

IMO, the paintings posted herein don't evoke bold-headed people.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Original Question by Underpants Man
Did the Egyptians dye their hair blonde?

-

In the early 20th century much was made over the ancestry of Hetepheres II (4th Dynasty). A relief from the tomb of her daughter, Meresankh III, depicts the queen with blonde hair. However, closer inspection reveals that she was not a natural blonde, but rather the owner of a unique and, we can speculate, much coveted blonde wig. This portrait prompted George Reisner to speculate that she was the fair haired Libyan woman who legend had said was married to Khufu.

Source: The Queens of Egypt's 4th Dynasty

BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
quote:

LMAO [Big Grin]

That make sense, but I would expect the Egyptians to represent their newly shaven scalps as pinkish or orange, not yellow. Unless, of course, they had a limited palette of pigments.

P.S. Why do so many American men of African descent shave their heads bald? Is it some cultural practice in Africa, perhaps to combat head lice?

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

P.S. Why do so many American men of African descent shave their heads bald? Is it some cultural practice in Africa, perhaps to combat head lice?

What does this intellectually challenged racist question have to do with Africans? If you want to ask Black Americans about their social practices, why not just flat out ask them?
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:

What does this intellectually challenged racist question have to do with Africans? If you want to ask Black Americans about their social practices, why not just flat out ask them?
I know it's what's in the inside of a person and not the outside of a person that counts, but I like bald head men. Bald Men Are Hot! [Wink]

Michael Jordan

-

-

-

A recent poll which ran on the front page of at HairBoutique.com asked What Do You Think Of Bald Men?

Bald men are hot. 679 25.40%
More into hairy guys. 542 20.28%
Personality matters most. 383 14.33%
Send Bruce Willis right over. 425 15.90%
Does anyone really care? 391 14.63%
Undecided 252 9.47%
Total Replies 2,673

Michael Jordan's house

-

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
Original Question by Underpants Man
Did the Egyptians dye their hair blonde?

-

In the early 20th century much was made over the ancestry of Hetepheres II (4th Dynasty). A relief from the tomb of her daughter, Meresankh III, depicts the queen with blonde hair. However, closer inspection reveals that she was not a natural blonde, but rather the owner of a unique and, we can speculate, much coveted blonde wig. This portrait prompted George Reisner to speculate that she was the fair haired Libyan woman who legend had said was married to Khufu.

Source: The Queens of Egypt's 4th Dynasty

Actually, that is a DOCTORED photo and does NOT represent the colors from Meresankh's tomb.

In Meresank's tomb, most of the women are painted YELLOW, as in CANARY YELLOW and are the same color as the hair in the photo. The image in question has faded over time, with the skin showing the worst decay in color, while the hair retains much of its color. However, whoever decided to do this "reconstruction" made sure to make her skin color tannish, which is NOT the color originally used in the tomb. SOME females in SOME periods of Egyptian art are depicted as tan or pinkish, but MORE OFTEN they are depicted as YELLOW or brownish YELLOW.

http://touregypt.net/featurestories/meresankht.htm

-
 -

Posts: 8896 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^Doug is correct, in fact Ausar covered this issue before (of course no more search engine [Frown] )

quote:
Ausar has stated:

People have often used Meresankh and her conterpart around the 4th dyansty as evidence that blonde Egyptians existed in ancient Egypt. Truth is that in Meresankh III's mastaba the paint is wearing away in modern times that gives Meresankh III a blondish apperance without her actually being a supposed natural blonde. The only definite way we can find hair color is from micscropic analysis that shows what trace colors the original hair is. Since we don't have the mummy of Meresankh III we definatley don't know her original hair color much less if she was a natural blonde.

The originl tomb paintings for her mastaba tomb show a completely different person than at present.

See the following image

picture of Meresankh III taken around 1927 when tomb first discovered

-

in Later times the tomb appears

-

-

Picture of meresankh III and family

______Where's the blonde hair ?

http://www.mfa.org/egypt/explore_ancient_egypt/arch_then3.html

Meresankh III was a daughter of Kawab and Hetepheres II, and thus a grand-daughter of Kheops, during whose reign she was born. Although her father never became a king, she bore the title "daughter of the king" among her titulary.

This may indicate that this title may not be taken too literally and may perhaps also mean "grand-daughter of the king". It may, however, also be explained by the fact that Meresankh became the step-daughter of king Djedefre, after the death of her father.

She was married to her uncle, Khefren, with whom she had as sons Nebemakhet, Niuserre, Khenterka and Duaenre. She also bore him a daughter, Shepsestkau and two other children.

She out-lived her husband for a short time and died during the early years of Mykerinos. No tomb seems to have been prepared for her when she died, which may indicate that she died unexpectedly. Her mother, Hetepheres II, donated her own mastaba tomb, discovered in April 1927 by George Reisner and known today as G 7530-7540, and sarcophagus for the burial of Meresankh III.

A statue pair showing Meresankh III to the left of Hetepheres II was found in the rubble nearby the mastaba. It may originally have stood in a niche in the mastaba's wall. Today, it is in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

The sarcophagus found in the burial chamber still contained some human bones, belonging to a woman who died in her fifties, perhaps Meresankh III herself.

http://www.ancient-egypt.org/glossary/people/meresankh_iii.html

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:
quote:

I don't think Underpants meant anything racist by it. Frankly most African American men I know don't have their heads shaven and some do the exact opposite-- grow their hair out into afros.

But really, the whole 'bald' style has been around for a long time perhaps as long as the cornrows style, but it just hasn't been noticed until recently.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the bald style among African American men does have to do with Africa in that the style was originally called "Nubian shaved", which I assume was to mimick similar shaved looks in Africa...(?)

At least so I have been told by an African American friend of mine.

As for Myra, we usually appreciate your input but let's please stay on track and not get into your sex appeals/fetishes. [Razz]

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I don't think Underpants meant anything racist by it.

My emphasis was the "head lice" bit, along with the need to tie every Black American social practice with Africans. Black Americans are descendents who have been in America long enough to have adopted new social behaviors in their present social environment, that would be different from that of their relatively distant ancestors from Africa. This is not to say that they haven't developed or retained some social practices that set them apart from their fellow citizens who are largely of recent [relatively speaking] non-African backgrounds.
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read somewhere (I think it was Saleem Hassan series about AE) that a tomb in the Giza nocropolis was discovered with a painting of a true blonde woman with Caucasian features. I think she was a second wife of king Menkaure. There was a legend handed down through generations in that area that the third pyramid was actually built by a blonde queen. The discovery of the tomb gave it some sort of validation. But then again, If I remember correctly that Saleem Hassan writing some decades ago. Anyone heard of this or is it total nonsense. I've never visited the tomb myself as most of them are closed anyway.
Posts: 217 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've read somewhere (I think it was Saleem Hassan series about AE) that a tomb in the Giza nocropolis was discovered with a painting of a true blonde woman with Caucasian features. I think she was a second wife of king Menkaure. There was a legend handed down through generations in that area that the third pyramid was actually built by a blonde queen. The discovery of the tomb gave it some sort of validation. But then again, If I remember correctly that Saleem Hassan writing some decades ago. Anyone heard of this or is it total nonsense. I've never visited the tomb myself as most of them are closed anyway
I am familiar with the following information. The only queens I know of during the Old Kingdom suspected of being blonde were Hetehepheres and Meresankh and all were linked to either be sisters or mothers of the various monarchs of the Old Kingdom. The assertion was made because of the so-called yellowish hair on their tombs. These assertions were made by Egyptologist George Resiner[a known racist Egyptologist] which later have been proven wrong. The so-called yellowish hair were simply wigs and not natural hair.

The legend about a blonde wife building a pyramid from Giza comes from Herodotus. Herodotus claimed that a women named Rhodopis built a pyramid around Giza. Rhodopis was a real person but a Greek married to Amasis of the 26th dyansty and not a wife of Men-ka-re.

Here is Herodotus version of the story:

He too left behind a pyramid, far smaller than his father’s, each front twenty feet short of three plethra, since it is quadrangular, and half made of Ethiopian stone, and it’s that which several of the Greeks assert is Rhodopis the courtesan’s, although they speak incorrectly; they accordingly appear to me to speak without even knowing who Rhodopis was, in that they would not have attributed to her the building of a pyramid like that, on which countless thousands of talents, to exaggerate in speech, are used, and, besides, that in the time when Amasis was king, Rhodopis was at her prime, but not in that man’s time; for very many years later than those kings who left behind those pyramids Rhodopis existed, who was by birth from Thrace, a slave of Iadmon the son of Hephaestopolis, a Samian man and a fellow-slave of Aesop the composer of tales. For in fact he became Iadmon’s, as is plain not least in the following: when, the Delphians making proclamation often on the basis of a divine utterance for one who wanted to accept blood-money for the life of Aesop, no one else appeared, but a son of Iadmon’s son, another Iadmon, accepted it, thus indeed Aesop proved Iadmon’s.

Now, Rhodopis came to Egypt at Xanthes the Samian’s conveying her and, on coming for business, was purchased to go free for much money by a Mytilenian man, Charaxus, the son of Scamandronymus and brother of Sappho the lyric poetess. So thus Rhodopis was freed and she stayed behind in Egypt and, having become very charming, acquired much money, considering she was Rhodopis , but not so as, at any rate, to be enough for a pyramid like that. For to her, the tithe of whose money it is possible to see still even at this time for everyone who wants, one must not at all attribute that much money, as Rhodopis conceived a desire to leave behind a memorial of herself in Greece, to have made that work that was in fact not found out and dedicated in a shrine by another and dedicate it at Delphi as her monument and accordingly, with the tithe of her money she had made many iron spits to pierce oxen, in so far as her tithe allowed, and to Delphi sent them away, which still even now are piled together behind the altar that the Chians dedicated and opposite the temple itself. So, courtesans in Naucratis love, it seems, to make themselves charming; for on the one hand, she, about whom the present account is given, became somewhat so very renowned that all the Greeks learned well Rhodopis ’ name and, on the other, after her, whose name was Archidice, became celebrated in song, but less talked of all around than that other. When Charaxus had purchased Rhodopis’ freedom and returned home to Mytilene, Sappho mocked him often in a lyric poem. Now, about Rhodopis I am done speaking.

http://www.losttrails.com/pages/Tales/Inquiries/Herodotus_13.html

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^Katangah, the tomb of the so-called blonde-queen that you speak of is the one we were talking about.

Although the racist Egyptologist George Resiner died centuries ago, it seems his silly legacy still lingers.

quote:
Serpent Wizdom posted:

...Will someone please build them folks [white people] a pyramid. Please.

LOL [Big Grin]
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So was Herodotus account the basis for the legend the Bedouins in the area had about the builder of the pyramid as cited by Belzoni ???
Posts: 217 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So was Herodotus account the basis for the legend the Bedouins in the area had about the builder of the pyramid as cited by Belzoni ???
I don't know how a bedouin would know much about the construction of a pyramids that took place about thousands of years before they entered Egypt. Bedouins in Egypt desend from nomadic tribes that came into Egypt.

Belzoni and many other travelers were known for creating stories and this was most likely one of them.

Herodotus claimed that the Greeks believed one of the pyramids was constructed for Rhodopis. She was a real character but existed around the 26th dyansty married to pharoah Amasis.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com