EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Somali are not arabs but africans (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Somali are not arabs but africans
Taruma
Member # 11613

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taruma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wondering how some somali talking badly about other africans while somalis themselves are africans. Somalis can never say that they are arabs. If you somalis are arabs, Why you don´t have same features like the arabs. Many somalis have the same features like Oromo, Borana, Rendille, Afar and other africans. I have seen many somalis who have nappy hairs. Majority of the somalis people have dark skins same like many africans those pictures you posted are evidence for those who don`t know about that. All people in the world knows the somalis were originated from Ethiopia and they are africans. If you don´t believe me that you somalis are africans ask some somalis who are/were working in rich countries in Middle East and who are/were living in Europe, Canada, America and Australia. You somalis don`t waste your time arabs are still calling you Cabid and racists in Europe, America, Canada and Australia are still calling you neger.
Posts: 2 | From: Tanzania | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True. Somalians are Africans. We are all the same people. Somalians have dark-skinned people and light-skinned, just like Black Americans. We are all a part of Pan-Africa. Salaam
Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I can't speak for all Somalis, I must say that not all Somalis act the way you say, but those who do don't do it for "racial" reasons so much as ethnic ones. Somalis are a very prideful people and some Somalis can be a little too prideful to a point where they can be chauvinistic about it, hence they can look down on other Africans (especially non-Muslims) and act high and mighty. But make no mistake, these Somalis who do this do NOT deny their black identity and African heritage as some of you seem to think! All Somalis aknowledge they are black and African and they are damn proud of it. While a Somali clan or two might claim Arab descent, no Somali would ever call himself or herself an Arab!!

The prideful chauvinist attitude seems to be typical of nomadic peoples in general, let alone those in Africa. Many of the groups you named like the Oromo and Afar act no different than the Somali when it comes to their fellow Africans. Even the Masai of Keny have been known to disparage their African neighbors, especially the Bantus.

But even then, the nomad peoples aren't the only ones to do this. I have met many West Africans who act the same way also. Many of the Nigerians I've talked to actually think of East Africans whether Sudanese or Somalis as being "barbarians"!

Posts: 26396 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

Many of the Nigerians I've talked to actually think of East Africans whether Sudanese or Somalis as being "barbarians"!

Interesting viewpoint from your Nigerian friends. I gather these are Nigerians who have come into contact with reasonable numbers of Somalis.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While I can't speak for all Somalis, I must say that not all Somalis act the way you say, but those who do don't do it for "racial" reasons so much as ethnic ones. Somalis are a very prideful people and some Somalis can be a little too prideful to a point where they can be chauvinistic about it, hence they can look down on other Africans (especially non-Muslims) and act high and mighty. But make no mistake, these Somalis who do this do NOT deny their black identity and African heritage as some of you seem to think! All Somalis aknowledge they are black and African and they are damn proud of it. While a Somali clan or two might claim Arab descent, no Somali would ever call himself or herself an Arab!!

The prideful chauvinist attitude seems to be typical of nomadic peoples in general, let alone those in Africa. Many of the groups you named like the Oromo and Afar act no different than the Somali when it comes to their fellow Africans. Even the Masai of Keny have been known to disparage their African neighbors, especially the Bantus.

But even then, the nomad peoples aren't the only ones to do this. I have met many West Africans who act the same way also. Many of the Nigerians I've talked to actually think of East Africans whether Sudanese or Somalis as being "barbarians"!

True.......well, true when speaking of Nigerians. Don't know about other West Africans, but Nigerians can be quite arrogant people. Somalians are similar. And I do agree that it isn't racially but ethnic. For example, I was reading that during the mid-90's when the U.S. was in Somalia, and the whole "Black Hawk Down" stuff happened, al-Qieada went to Somalia to help the Somalians, but the Somalians STRONGLY rejected their help. They even surrounded an Al-Qieada garrison threatening them. So it is apparent that this is ethnic stuff, it isn't about anything else. I have met too many cool Somalians who are "down".....cool peoples. Salaam
Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethnocentrism is a universal vice, it appears.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7160 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:

Interesting viewpoint from your Nigerian friends. I gather these are Nigerians who have come into contact with reasonable numbers of Somalis.

Some have, but sadly their views stem mostly from what they know of Somali culture-- that it was nomadic.

Perhaps it is because of the old sedentary agriculturalists vs. nomadic pastoralists conflict, but some of them do tend to think of their West African culture as being more "refined" than East Africans, and again it's not just Somalis but all East Africans.

Some of them like to brag that their people had urban traditions i.e. building cities while East Africans did not. They even go so far as to say civilization in East Africa was only introduced by Arabs! [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by Israel:

True.......well, true when speaking of Nigerians. Don't know about other West Africans, but Nigerians can be quite arrogant people. Somalians are similar. And I do agree that it isn't racially but ethnic. For example, I was reading that during the mid-90's when the U.S. was in Somalia, and the whole "Black Hawk Down" stuff happened, al-Qieada went to Somalia to help the Somalians, but the Somalians STRONGLY rejected their help. They even surrounded an Al-Qieada garrison threatening them. So it is apparent that this is ethnic stuff, it isn't about anything else. I have met too many cool Somalians who are "down".....cool peoples. Salaam

Yes. What's funny is despite Taruma's claims, these same Somali who talk bad about other Africans also have a few choice words to say about Arabs!

But all in all, most of the Somalis I know are cool people also.

quote:
Originally posted by Underpants Man:

Ethnocentrism is a universal vice, it appears.

[Frown] It sure is.

Remember, even white-Western racism actually started out as ethnocentrism.

Posts: 26396 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
I just remembered a story told to me by two friends of mine, one white, one black, and both were missionaries in Kenya. They so happened to be in the Somalian part of Kenya, and when the Somali Kenyans saw the white dude, they started to stone him! They were stoning him because he was white! The other guy, Black American, I believe he was there, and they didn't mess with him, but they stoned the white dude. Both of these guys are my friends, so this isn't made up stories, know what I mean?

Just remember, there is always a strategy of divide and conquer Taruma. In America, American Blacks and Caribbean Blacks have a good relationship, but then you got some accusing the other of being "different", and the other accusing the other about "laziness" or whatever! The point is that most people here know that A.A.'s and Caribbean Blacks are the same people. African-Americans know this, and so do Caribbean Blacks. I am sure it is the same type of stuff in EVERY CULTURE, including Africa.

Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taruma:
quote:
I am wondering how some somali talking badly about other africans while somalis themselves are africans. Somalis can never say that they are arabs. If you somalis are arabs, Why you don´t have same features like the arabs. Many somalis have the same features like Oromo, Borana, Rendille, Afar and other africans .
Why are you singeling out Somalis, what about Ethiopians and Eritreans who are much worse than Somalis, and yes somalis are more related to those people you posted above than "arabs". btw there is no such thing as arab features since "arabs" are a group of different people who just share culture and language from lebanese to marrocons, and from Omanis to northern Sudanese, and since somalis dont speak arabic and dont have much of arabic culture then somalis are of course not arabs. We only share religion and some slight culture not much.
But i agree there are some elements among somalis who would love to be closer to arabs than being africans, the poster "burhan" comes in mind.

Djehuti:
quote:
Many of the Nigerians I've talked to actually think of East Africans whether Sudanese or Somalis as being "barbarians"!
I know alot of Nigerians here in sweden and i've never heard them think of Somalis or East Africans as barbarians, Nigerians/Gambians and somalis here get along very well, same in UK there is no problem between Ghanains/Nigerians and somalis, its only the UK carribeans such as Jamaicans who hate somalis and somalis hate them too.
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis:
]Why are you singeling out Somalis, what about Ethiopians and Eritreans who are much worse than Somalis,

[/QB]

What a stupid remark!!! Why people generalising and stereotyping?? What is your problem with Ethiopian or Eritrean?? i happen to be Eritrean
Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because you happen to be Eritrean doesnt make this less true, you cant deny that alot of Eritreans/Ethiopians look down on other Africans, especially the habesha, these are facts no speculation, habesha are racist as hell. I don't know why people never talk about them its always "somalis want to be arab, bla bla, yada yada", while ignoring the worst nazis in black africa, i bet its because they are christians. It wasn't somalis or sudanese who sold out while europeans where destroying the continent,damn hypocrits.
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just because you happen to be Eritrean doesnt make this less true, you cant deny that alot of Eritreans/Ethiopians look down on other Africans, especially the habesha, these are facts no speculation, habesha are racist as hell. I don't know why people never talk about them its always "somalis want to be arab, bla bla, yada yada" while ignoring the worst nazis in black africa, i bet its because they are christians. It wasn't somalis or sudanese who sold out while europeans where destroying the continent,damn hypocrits.

The fact is you still generalising and stereo typing?? These people are this and that. Everyone is not the same. In fact in Eritrea there are 9 tribes and people will have alot of problem marrying from another tribe. you see these stereotyping will not help anything, people are different, you can't say all Eritrean is this or the other it is very stupid to generalise. if you see my reply I was not angry about the statement you wrote against us but the generalisation.
Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just because you happen to be Eritrean doesnt make this less true, you cant deny that alot of Eritreans/Ethiopians look down on other Africans, especially the habesha, these are facts no speculation, habesha are racist as hell. I don't know why people never talk about them its always "somalis want to be arab, bla bla, yada yada", while ignoring the worst nazis in black africa, i bet its because they are christians. It wasn't somalis or sudanese who sold out while europeans where destroying the continent,damn hypocrits.

They target Somalia and Sudan because Sudanese consider themselves Arab and Somalia joined the Arab League to distance itself from Black Africa. You blame Ethiopia, but I don't see Somalia donating any land to the diaspora (Shashamene) or involving itself in Pan-African affairs (OAU, AU). I don't have a problem acknowledging that many are racist, but what do you mean "worst nazis in black africa?" Don't insult my people. You claim to have nothing against us but call us sell-outs? Bullshit. Sell-outs to whom? We don't owe anybody anything. What, do you expect us to try and save every other people from colonization as if that's even feasible? Get yourself another scapegoat because Habeshas have no obligation to be your Captain Save-a-Ho.
Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nuary32
Member # 10191

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Nuary32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Some of them like to brag that their people had urban traditions i.e. building cities while East Africans did not. They even go so far as to say civilization in East Africa was only introduced by Arabs! [Eek!]

Where would they get such an idea? Mentalities like that keep africa behind...(applies to all of africa)
Posts: 214 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
YOM:
quote:
Somalia joined the Arab League to distance itself from Black Africa.
How do you distance yourself from yourself by joining a useless organization? Somalis didn't join the arab leauge it was one man who joined it and dragged us all along, as if we had a say on the matter.And i'm quite sure Ethiopia would have joined the arab league also if it wasnt the case that it took orders and guidence from the west, and disliked by arab countries.
quote:
You blame Ethiopia, but I don't see Somalia donating any land to the diaspora (Shashamene) or involving itself in Pan-African affairs (OAU, AU)
What the hell is the "AU"?? A congregation of incompetent bloodsucking "leaders" who once every year gather so to discuss how best they can further exploite their population while at the same time catering for western interess, i wouldn't be proud about its headquarter positioned in Ethiopia if i was you.

quote:
You claim to have nothing against us but call us sell-outs? Bullshit. Sell-outs to whom? We don't owe anybody anything. What, do you expect us to try and save every other people from colonization as if that's even feasible? Get yourself another scapegoat because Habeshas have no obligation to be your Captain Save-a-Ho.
Whoa, whoa relax, lmao, no one has ever claimed that Ethiopian should "save every other people from colonization" don't flattter yourself, I was talking about participating in the Berlin conferance,lol I would be surprised if you even could had saved yourself from colonization if it wasn't for the fact that you got immunity [Big Grin]
Maybe the Jamaican rastafaris high on ganja might see you as un-conquarable "gods of zion", but you cant fool the rest of us sane people.

Btw here is what a British had to say about Ethiopian "bravery", in the bottom part of this text.

-

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some have, but sadly their views stem mostly from what they know of Somali culture-- that it was nomadic.

Perhaps it is because of the old sedentary agriculturalists vs. nomadic pastoralists conflict, but some of them do tend to think of their West African culture as being more "refined" than East Africans, and again it's not just Somalis but all East Africans.

Djehuti this is absolute rubbish. Pure biased BS. I am a Nigerian and I know this IS NOT TRUE. Most Nigerians are not even aware of the details of East African culture to be able to make a judegement of it. SOME Nigerians who have left the borders of Nigeria to embrace the international community do have some negative viewpoints about East Africans (and vice versa) but those that you have mentioned are either untrue or insignificant. Most Nigerians do not believe East Africa was civilised by Arabs, they only believe there is a STRONG Arab presence in North Africa. In fact, most Nigerians view East Africa as they view other West African or South African countries.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you distance yourself from yourself by joining a useless organization? Somalis didn't join the arab leauge it was one man who joined it and dragged us all along, as if we had a say on the matter.And i'm quite sure Ethiopia would have joined the arab league also if it wasnt the case that it took orders and guidence from the west, and disliked by arab countries.

Whether or not its useless, the gesture is there nevertheless. Ethiopia did have an opportunity to join, at least as an observing member (which it did not take, though Eritrea did).

quote:
What the hell is the "AU"?? A congregation of incompetent bloodsucking "leaders" who once every year gather so to discuss how best they can further exploite their population while at the same time catering for western interess, i wouldn't be proud about its headquarter positioned in Ethiopia if i was you.
Call it whatever you want, at least it makes an attempt at African Unity.

quote:
Whoa, whoa relax, lmao, no one has ever claimed that Ethiopian should "save every other people from colonization" don't flattter yourself, I was talking about participating in the Berlin conferance,lol I would be surprised if you even could had saved yourself from colonization if it wasn't for the fact that you got immunity [Big Grin]
Maybe the Jamaican rastafaris high on ganja might see you as un-conquarable "gods of zion", but you cant fool the rest of us sane people.

I know what you said:

while ignoring the worst nazis in black africa, i bet its because they are christians. It wasn't somalis or sudanese who sold out while europeans where destroying the continent,damn hypocrits.

Ras Alula in the Berlin conference isn't "selling out," any more than establishing diplomatic relations with Europeans are. Do you even have evidence of this? I think you're mistaking the Berlin Conference with the Hewett Treaty with Britain that Alula negotiated on Yohannes's behalf, because Haggai Erlich's "Ras Alula and the Scramble for Africa" doesn't have a single word on the event, while it would be pretty significant for the level of detail he goes into for the novel (and it's not simply a hagiography but points out all details). You're using the same Captain Save-a-Ho mentality again, anyway. Was Ethiopia not entitled to attend such a conference? What did it owe to Somalia that attending the conference would be "selling out"? And do you even know what the general conference (not the treaties between specific European powers) established?

quote:

Btw here is what a British had to say about Ethiopian "bravery", in the bottom part of this text.

-

And? Do you believe what ever anyone says? That quotation means nothing to me. I could care less what some "Robert Hess" thinks. Would it mean anything to you if some random person said the Somalis were cowards? It's interesting that you choose bravery to attack, since that's a trait that Ethiopians are particularly known for.
Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed] See, this mess was exactly what I was afraid of!!

Whenever someone says something negative about a certain ethnic group, all hell breaks loose!!

After all the exchanges so far who else will join this skirmish, Jamaicans?!

Yonis is right about his people (Somalis) always singled out as being the ones who are prejudice to other Africans. Although he IS wrong for making generalist remarks and calling all Habeshas "Nazis of black Africa"!!

Yom, as wrong as Yonis is for some things let's not get carried away and turn this into another Ethiopia vs. Somalia thread again!

Sara_uk, you are correct that the root of the problem here is making generalizations and stereotypes about people! Taruma started the whole thing with making her ridiculously absurd comments about Somalis claiming to be Arabs!!

Herukhuti, if you noticed I never generalized but said only some of my Nigerian friends carry these inaccurate and plain wrong views on East Africans. Actually if you take into account the total number of Nigerians I know only a few hold such biased notions. You even said it yourself that there are SOME Nigerians who hold such notions!!

People, people, I think the main lesson to be learned from all this is that there are always going to be ignorant peoples in EVERY group no matter if they were from Somalia, Ethiopia, Nigeria, or whether or not they are African at all!!

[Mad] Get over it!!

Macawiis
Member # 11724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macawiis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Taruma:
I am wondering how some somali talking badly about other africans while somalis themselves are africans.

yawnn [Embarrassed] it's always the same old garbage
it's like a white person who was robbed by a black person calling all black people thiefs

how many times have i heard stories from somalis were there being told by afro-carribeans they are not africans because of their phenotype yet i don't see them coming to an egyptian forum complaining about it, this is just an excuse to bash my people nothing more nothing less

quote:
Somalis can never say that they are arabs.
listen you don't own somalis and somalis don't owe you sh1t,if some want call themself marsians then they have the right to do so

quote:
If you somalis are arabs, Why you don´t have same features like the arabs. Many somalis have the same features like Oromo, Borana, Rendille, Afar and other africans. I have seen many somalis who have nappy hairs. Majority of the somalis people have dark skins same like many africans those pictures you posted are evidence for those who don`t know about that. All people in the world knows the somalis were originated from Ethiopia and they are africans. If you don´t believe me that you somalis are africans ask some somalis who are/were working in rich countries in Middle East
somalis are doing fine in arab countries like Dubai,Qatar,Saudi Arabia and somali companies are making top dollar

quote:
and who are/were living in Europe, Canada, America and Australia. You somalis don`t waste your time arabs are still calling you Cabid
there are some who do evendo we were never their cabid but somalis have their own slurs towards those kind of arabs

but the majority love us wether you like it or not

quote:
and racists in Europe, America, Canada and Australia are still calling you neger. [/QB]
true i've been called n!gger a few times in my life

but thank god it's stays with words

what about the treatment my people are getting in south africa just because there competition

quote:
Besides frequent attacks and armed robberies this year, Somalis have been murdered in Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Mossel Bay, Plettenberg Bay, Swellendam and Port Elizabeth.
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=124&art_id=vn20060807014544751C296739

quote:
"Somalis don't make the effort to integrate or make friends like other Africans, which makes them more misunderstood.
so the chinese people wether there in the US or the UK should be attacked because they stick with their own people and isolate themselves and at the same time expand their businesess?

somalis never treated south africans during apartheid like that

my uncle married a south african woman because he admired her beauty but i don't have Ill feelings towards south africans cause there are thugz in every society

people claim all type of stuff like somalis wanted to distance themselves from africa when they joined the arab league

they came to us and if i look back at it my country exploited them to the fullest, cheap oil is very handy indeed [Big Grin]

but would somalia help central african republic rebels with logistics during the bokassa era if they hated africans?

would somali soldiers train burundi soldiers if they hated them?

would somalia puts all it's effort in securing a peacedeal between Tanzania and Uganda who were on the brink of war if they hated them?

peacedeal was signed and nobody got hurt

somalia helped eritrea with military aid and other logistics when it was fighting for it's independance when no other african country in africa gave a sh1t and the current president Afwerki was a resident of mogadishu and many times thanked somali people for the help he received from us

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:But even then, the nomad peoples aren't the only ones to do this. I have met many West Africans who act the same way also. Many of the Nigerians I've talked to actually think of East Africans whether Sudanese or Somalis as being "barbarians"!
fabricated stories like this iritate me forreal yo this is the second time i read a comment like this, i have 2 homies who come from nigeria who don't even share my religion at the first day of college they came up to me and introduced themselves and i still hang with them and i've been to nigerian weddings many times and i was treated like a nigerian and i only heard good things about my people coming from them

so i see your comments as a way to try to fuell hate between africans, and it iritates me because your not even an african as you have stated many times on this board

my ancestors were nomads and i'm very proud of my heritage somalis were also powerfull traders who traded their goods to far away lands, there are whole sections in the libraries of damascus and other arab libraries of ancient somali poets who were recognised as great poets and somalia was called the land of the poets, there are somali shaykhs who have large followings like in Tanzania the largest muslim brotherhood has a somali origin and was introduced by Shaykh Uways bin Muhammad, and shaykh Uthman wrote the only authorative texts on a muslim school of law 1300 years ago wich is still in use today

quote:
Originally posted by Yom: What, do you expect us to try and save every other people from colonization as if that's even feasible?
but you had no problems aiding the europeans and indians with 10 thousand soldiers when they were getting slaughtered by another african group who were fighting to preserve their independance

-

and it's not the somalis who have genocide and millions of innocent oromo blood on their hands you just remember that

i just want to say to the members or guests on this forum who have Ill feelings towards my people and are now using the ''old why do somalis think there arabs b.s'' go see a shrink cause you got mayor issue's

don't think i'm going to diss arabs who never showed dislike to me or my people when i was in places like abu dhabi or Saudi arabia just so your satisfied, i don't need your recognistion

to those who don't have these pathetic feelings towards my peeps i got one tip don't put expectations on my people not all somalis have the same mentality and you will encounter some bigots but the majority is cool

Posts: 275 | From: .. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MULLAH'S_REVENGE:

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:But even then, the nomad peoples aren't the only ones to do this. I have met many West Africans who act the same way also. Many of the Nigerians I've talked to actually think of East Africans whether Sudanese or Somalis as being "barbarians"!
fabricated stories like this iritate me forreal yo this is the second time i read a comment like this, i have 2 homies who come from nigeria who don't even share my religion at the first day of college they came up to me and introduced themselves and i still hang with them and i've been to nigerian weddings many times and i was treated like a nigerian and i only heard good things about my people coming from them

That's the truth right there. As a matter of fact, in the UK I've been with a few Somalian & Eritrean honeys, man, those girls are hot! I bet the Ancient Egyptian women must have looked like that. I'm currently seeing an Ethiopian chick. I've never had a girl with so much skills [Big Grin]

There's nothing but love between Nigerians and Somalians. There's ignorant people around but they're a minority.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
All these generalisation just bring hate and divisions. There is bad and good in every nation. So calm down people do not point fingers at nations, everyone is different. I like Somalis I think they are cool and most of them proud of their origin. I have seen so many Eritrean lose their mother tongue when they grow up in Arab country or in the west whereas I saw most Somalian kept their language even if they were born in foreign land. Society can affect our opinion or views so you end up with certain stereotyping but for people who been exposed to different cultures you can easily get rid of these stereotyping or discrimination.
Macawiis
Member # 11724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macawiis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yonis iska daaf dadkan sxb wa dad walan [Big Grin] markasta somali this somali that wax kale ka hadlan ma heestan

ooy somalika ku bilaaweyn marki arageen cadaanka iyo carabka somalika jecladeen hadda been na la imadeen carabka war fiican qiliiya somalika ka heestan cabid ma no sheegan wa been waxii yaga rabaan anaga carabka iyo cadaanka ceey ku bilawnaa [Big Grin] cajiib [Big Grin]

ka fog dadkan sxb [Big Grin] jahiilnimokoodu gacan ban uu tagey

Posts: 275 | From: .. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
sara_uk, your name suggests you live in the UK. Are you a londoner? Holler at me [Wink]

Maybe we can meet up for a drink or something and chat about Egypt [Big Grin]

Macawiis
Member # 11724

Member Rated:
playa herukhuti ina sonkie does work like magic on nigerian beauties [Big Grin] play on sxb

i got nothing but love for africans but i don't like stereotyping or generalisations of a whole nation like sara said before me

and sara_uk i received nothing but love from your people so big up to eritreans and those i know speak mutliple languages together with their own language

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by herukhuti:
sara_uk, your name suggests you live in the UK. Are you a londoner? Holler at me [Wink]

I didn't mention I have an '06 Audi Cabriolet... we can cruise thru the city, doing above 60 [Cool]
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

I didn't mention I have an '06 Audi Cabriolet... we can cruise thru the city, doing above 60 [Cool]
lol you are funny. yes i live in london, if you have not noticed it is a public forum [Razz]
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MULLAH'S_REVENGE: but you had no problems aiding the europeans and indians with 10 thousand soldiers when they were getting slaughtered by another african group who were fighting to preserve their independance
Again, did we owe it to Sudan to help them? The Hewett treaty was to recover Mitsiwa and affirm Bogos's position in Ethiopia again, after a 5 or so year Egyptian occupation. Ethiopia didn't owe the Mahdi (with Yohannis being a very devoted Christian, there were especially no reasons to support him) anything any more than we owed the British help.

quote:
and it's not the somalis who have genocide and millions of innocent oromo blood on their hands you just remember that

What genocide. There was slavery throughout the ages, espcially in the late 19th century, that often included Oromos, but no genocide. And mind you, the slavery that we're talking about didn't target Oromos at all, but more the Southwestern areas like Kefa, Welamo, etc., though more northerly groups like the Oromo and Gurage were often enslaved as well; the biggest slave trader of the 19th century was the Oromo Abba Jifar.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MULLAH'S_REVENGE:

quote:

so i see your comments as a way to try to fuell hate between africans, and it iritates me because your not even an african as you have stated many times on this board

my ancestors were nomads and i'm very proud of my heritage somalis were also powerfull traders who traded their goods to far away lands, there are whole sections in the libraries of damascus and other arab libraries of ancient somali poets who were recognised as great poets and somalia was called the land of the poets, there are somali shaykhs who have large followings like in Tanzania the largest muslim brotherhood has a somali origin and was introduced by Shaykh Uways bin Muhammad, and shaykh Uthman wrote the only authorative texts on a muslim school of law 1300 years ago wich is still in use today

Okay, I suggest you read ALL of what someone posted before you attack them blindly.

I NEVER said all Nigerians the Nigerians I've talked to or know felt this way!

Most of the Nigerians I see get along fine with Somalis or other Africans in general as they get along with Asians and whites and everyone else.

I am ABSOLUTELY NOT trying to cause any division or hatred between Africans, in fact I'm trying to do the opposite since that what I find myself doing on this forum so often!!

[Embarrassed] Here's a lesson that applies to you not just in this forum but in real life LOOK BEFORE YOU SPEAK.

I believe the whole thing against Somalis was started by Taruma, speaking of which where is she??! Funny, how she hasn't responded to any of our replies concerning her allegations.

Reid
Member # 11536

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 32 | From: Waterloo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reid
Member # 11536

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mullah Take this from a Afro Carribbean. Somalis are cool people. I respect Somalis as much as I respect any other African people. Just because Somalia joined the Arab League does not change my mind about Somali people. In my neck of the woods the Somalis are hard working Brothas and Sistahs they give to their country like no other diaspora. I don't know what Djehuti was talking about with the Nigerians but I don't think that is correct. The Nigerians that I have met say good things about East Africans people. I admit that some Nigerians are ignorant but the ones I have met seem to respect Somalis and East Africa in general. So let me be the first to say that not all Afro caribbean people have ill feelings toward Somalis.
Posts: 32 | From: Waterloo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reid
Member # 11536

Rate Member
Mullah Take this from a Afro Carribbean. Somalis are cool people. I respect Somalis as much as I respect any other African people. Just because Somalia joined the Arab League does not change my mind about Somali people. In my neck of the woods the Somalis are hard working Brothas and Sistahs they give to their country like no other diaspora. I don't know what Djehuti was talking about with the Nigerians but I don't think that is correct. The Nigerians that I have met say good things about East Africans people. I admit that some Nigerians are ignorant but the ones I have met seem to respect Somalis and East Africa in general. So let me be the first to say that not all Afro caribbean people have ill feelings toward Somalis.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reid:

I admit that some Nigerians are ignorant but the ones I have met seem to respect Somalis and East Africa in general. So let me be the first to say that not all Afro caribbean people have ill feelings toward Somalis.

So then you agree that there are ignorant folks in every lot.(?)

Even Mullah has stated that there are some Afro-caribbeans who are ignorant enough to think Somalis were not really African because of certain features. Just as YOU, as I recall, once went with the now popular view of ancient Egyptians being a "mixed-race" people because of certain features they had.

Hopefully all ignorance is corrected.

Good. Moving on...

Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Heru, Mullah, Sara, Reid, Yonis, Yom, etc.

Whats happening? Alright, I too am of Caribbean origin, and lets squash all the divisions. I have met cool Somalians. Many cool Somalians. Whether someone is from Eriteria or Zambia, we are all Africans.......notice I said "we", even though I am of the diaspora. Salaam

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^How about we take it a step further and squash this thread altogether!

[Embarrassed] It seems this Taruma has sparked a small fire of ignorance and all the rest of you have been fanning the flames! She put the bait and all the rest of you went into a frenzy!

You have already given your responses about her absurd charges against Somalis. I suggest that this be the end of it already! Kaput!!

Hotep2u
Member # 9820

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotep2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings:

I think Somalis are mostly BRAINWASHED Arab wannabes that's why they are apart of the Arab League because they want to be amongst their Arab Masters.

Somalia is an embarrassment to Afrika in my opinion.
I say this because the IMF describes Somalia as a FAILED STATE, Kenya has deported and banned Somalis from entering Kenya due to Kenya's government recognizing that Somalis have created problems in their own country.

Ethiopia is now pointing to the lack of Government in Somalia that warrants Ethiopia protecting itself by securing its Borders.
South Afrikans are showing resentment to Somalis, which PROVES that Somalis have a CULTURAL problem.
All these Nations can't be all wrong folks; Somalis aren't the easiest groups of Afrikans to get along with.

Somalia has been a Independent country for over 40 years and look at Somalia today it is worse off today than it was 40 years ago, don't tell me that Somalis aren't to blame for the failure we see in Somalia today.

Somalis today are enjoying the fruits of the hard work of other Afrikans, for example: in South Afrika, Apartheid was a major problem for Afrikan people, just imagine all the suffering the Afrikans endured in South Afrika and today these Afrikans are finally positioning themselves to reap the fruits of their long and bloody battle against Apartheid RACISM, yet we see Somalis immigrating to South Afrika forming their own communities in South Afrika and separating themselves from the victims of Apartheid, who suffered under one form of separation only to see Somalis coming to reap also for what they did NOT struggle to obtain.

This is NOT fair to Afrikans in South Afrika, Somalis FAILED to build and develop Somalia so they should not be allowed to immigrate to South Afrika and obtain the benefits of what Afrikans died to secure for their children in South Afrika. America is the same Afrikan Americans gave their lives for these opportunities that some Somalis are getting here in America today, and just like in South Afrika I see Somalis here practicing their arrogance and looking down on Afrikans who were victims of brutal oppression.

Somalis uphold Islamic values not Afrikan values so they should ONLY immigrate to Arab countries or be RESPONSIBLE enough to build and develop Somalia in a peaceful manner.
Somalis uphold their Islamic influenced culture that has FAILED them though they will never learn this because Somalis are continually being sheltered from dealing with the consequences of Somalis own failure. Immigration, Asylum seekers and U.N aid agencies have been very generous to Somalia this needs to stop in my opinion because TOUGH LOVE is needed towards Somalia.

Somalia is an INDEPENDENT country so Somalis need to learn that they have what a lot of oppressed Afrikans can only dream of which is a Nation where they can come together and work with each other in order to build a peaceful future for your children. Somalia as failed to do this, so they prove themselves to be incapable of dealing with Independence, which is an embarrassment to Afrikans.
Afrikans who have been victims of oppression usually don’t get along with Afrikans who practice isolationist cultures especially if the cultures promotes extreme tribalism as we see in Somalia, so as a result Somalis need to stay in Somalia or immigrate to ARAB countries, so they can be amongst those who practice behaviors that are similar to theirs, places like America, South Afrika, Caribbean and Europe don’t practice these types of cultural behaviors so Somalis are destined to find conflict with Afrikans who live or immigrate from these areas, now I know Somalis are nice people though their culture just does NOT agree with many Afrikan people.
Afrikan cultural practices and Islamic cultural practices are fundamentally different so Somalis are not going to get along with a lot of Afrikans period.

Hotep

Posts: 477 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Reid:

I admit that some Nigerians are ignorant but the ones I have met seem to respect Somalis and East Africa in general. So let me be the first to say that not all Afro caribbean people have ill feelings toward Somalis.

So then you agree that there are ignorant folks in every lot.(?)

Even Mullah has stated that there are some Afro-caribbeans who are ignorant enough to think Somalis were not really African because of certain features. Just as YOU, as I recall, once went with the now popular view of ancient Egyptians being a "mixed-race" people because of certain features they had.

Hopefully all ignorance is corrected.

Good. Moving on...

Guys, I do get Djehuti's point. There are "localised" beefs between Africans/Black people in general. I think we all know this anyway. Interestingly, there is an ongoing war between the "Black Boys" and "Somalians" in Woolwich (South-East London, UK). Many years ago when I was 18, I was approached by a Somalian dude with a knife asking me if I was one of the "Black Boys" LOL [Big Grin] He didn't even know he was Black. This group of so-called "Black Boys" actually consist of Nigerians, Jamaicans, other West Indians etc. Because most of the Black Americans and West Indians come from countries like Nigeria, Ghana etc a few people are confused as to the race of certain "types" of Africans (like Somalians & Ethiopians).

I think the problem here is that we're misunderstanding each other. We're all basically saying the same thing.

Hotep.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Hotep2u:
Greetings:

I think Somalis are mostly BRAINWASHED Arab wannabes that's why they are apart of the Arab League because they want to be amongst their Arab Masters.

I say this because the IMF describes Somalia as a FAILED STATE, Kenya has deported and banned Somalis from entering Kenya due to Kenya's government recognizing that Somalis have created problems in their own country.

Ethiopia is now pointing to the lack of Government in Somalia that warrants Ethiopia protecting itself by securing its Borders.
South Afrikans are showing resentment to Somalis, which PROVES that Somalis have a CULTURAL problem.
All these Nations can't be all wrong folks; Somalis aren't the easiest groups of Afrikans to get along with.

Somalia has been a Independent country for over 40 years and look at Somalia today it is worse off today than it was 40 years ago, don't tell me that Somalis aren't to blame for the failure we see in Somalia today.

Somalis today are enjoying the fruits of the hard work of other Afrikans, for example: in South Afrika, Apartheid was a major problem for Afrikan people, just imagine all the suffering the Afrikans endured in South Afrika and today these Afrikans are finally positioning themselves to reap the fruits of their long and bloody battle against Apartheid RACISM, yet we see Somalis immigrating to South Afrika forming their own communities in South Afrika and separating themselves from the victims of Apartheid, who suffered under one form of separation only to see Somalis coming to reap also for what they did NOT struggle to obtain.

This is NOT fair to Afrikans in South Afrika, Somalis FAILED to build and develop Somalia so they should not be allowed to immigrate to South Afrika and obtain the benefits of what Afrikans died to secure for their children in South Afrika. America is the same Afrikan Americans gave their lives for these opportunities that some Somalis are getting here in America today, and just like in South Afrika I see Somalis here practicing their arrogance and looking down on Afrikans who were victims of brutal oppression.

Somalis uphold Islamic values not Afrikan values so they should ONLY immigrate to Arab countries or be RESPONSIBLE enough to build and develop Somalia in a peaceful manner.
Somalis uphold their Islamic influenced culture that has FAILED them though they will never learn this because Somalis are continually being sheltered from dealing with the consequences of Somalis own failure. Immigration, Asylum seekers and U.N aid agencies have been very generous to Somalia this needs to stop in my opinion because TOUGH LOVE is needed towards Somalia.

Somalia is an INDEPENDENT country so Somalis need to learn that they have what a lot of oppressed Afrikans can only dream of which is a Nation where they can come together and work with each other in order to build a peaceful future for your children. Somalia as failed to do this, so they prove themselves to be incapable of dealing with Independence, which is an embarrassment to Afrikans.
Afrikans who have been victims of oppression usually don’t get along with Afrikans who practice isolationist cultures especially if the cultures promotes extreme tribalism as we see in Somalia, so as a result Somalis need to stay in Somalia or immigrate to ARAB countries, so they can be amongst those who practice behaviors that are similar to theirs, places like America, South Afrika, Caribbean and Europe don’t practice these types of cultural behaviors so Somalis are destined to find conflict with Afrikans who live or immigrate from these areas, now I know Somalis are nice people though their culture just does NOT agree with many Afrikan people.
Afrikan cultural practices and Islamic cultural practices are fundamentally different so Somalis are not going to get along with a lot of Afrikans period.

Hotep

Dude, I think this applies to all Africans. We're all brainwashed. Nigeria is also worse off that it was 46 years ago at its independence.

There is a pattern which suggests a "design" by Africa's masters (did you think we were REALLY free?). It doesn't help to single out Somalia.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Greetings:

Hotep

I agree Hotep that Somalia is a FAILED state. However, WHY is it a failed state? That is the question, just like with many OTHER African countries. And black South Africans are NOT reaping ANYTHING in South AFrica. Black South Africans STILL mostly live in POVERTY and Whites STILL control MOST of the money and the economy. The REASON Somalia is a failed state has as much to do with COLD WAR politics as it has to do with the Somalis themselves. Somalia is a STRATEGIC country that sits next to the entrance of the Gulf of Aden and therefore has been important for Military and Economic reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Aden

For the last 40 years the various rebellions, coups and other struggles have been supported by Western and other governments who are trying to keep Somalia under control in one way or another.
Even now, in the current struggle, we often hear about US backed factions in Somalia. How is that? I thought the U.S. pulled out of Somalia after Mogadishu? But in reality the U.S. has ALWAYS been DEEPLY involved in Somali politics and warfare from supporting Said Barre to even having Mohammed Farrah Aidid's son as a member of the US MARINES when they INVADED SOMALIA.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/91B0E17B-791D-4654-8B1E-3B8E4328C9F6.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Farrah_Aidid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Siad_Barre

This as well as other reasons is why Somalis are SO CONFUSED.

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

Dude, I think this applies to all Africans. We're all brainwashed. Nigeria is also worse off that it was 46 years ago at its independence.

Care to elaborate on how "we" are all brainwashed.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Care to elaborate on how "we" are all brainwashed.
What I mean is this: thousands of years ago, before the invasion(s) of Africa, people knew who they were, their history e.t.c

However, foreign conquest changed all that. Africans in the recent past have generally recieved their knowledge from Europeans & Arabs who aren't often honest. This also applies to the diaspora. The fact that we are here trying to find pieces of the puzzle is testament to the fact that we've been brainwashed/re-programmed. It is now up to us uninstall the "buggy software" and try to connect the "real" past with our present situation. Without this "enlightenment", we will keep stumbling as we walk into the future.

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

What I mean is this: thousands of years ago, before the invasion(s) of Africa, people knew who they were, their history e.t.c

However, foreign conquest changed all that. Africans in the recent past have generally recieved their knowledge from Europeans & Arabs who aren't often honest. This also applies to the diaspora. The fact that we are here trying to find pieces of the puzzle is testament to the fact that we've been brainwashed/re-programmed.

Don't know how it is where you come from, but my people still pass tales about their history, and what they are about through oral traditions, that have thus far stood the test of time, even with the invention of more sophisticated tools of record keeping, namely writing. Traditions spanning many generations, still persist amongst many African communities. Sure "globalization" is changing social attitudes to varying degrees amongst African communities, but the same is true for just about any non-isolated human society today.

quote:
herukhuti:

It is now up to us uninstall the "buggy software" and try to connect the "real" past with our present situation. Without this "enlightenment", we will keep stumbling as we walk into the future.

I doubt that many Africans have forgotten their "real" past, save for a few. IMO, what Africans need, is effective mobilization of ordinary Africans [who live in a different conscious planet from much the African ruling bourgeois] through organized political consciousness and unity which transcends ethnic jingoism, and centers on universal social aspirations. Then again, ordinary folks around the globe face a similar challenge, regardless of relative differences in socio-economic conditions.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

However, foreign conquest changed all that. Africans in the recent past have generally recieved their knowledge from Europeans & Arabs who aren't often honest. This also applies to the diaspora. The fact that we are here trying to find pieces of the puzzle is testament to the fact that we've been brainwashed/re-programmed.

Don't know how it is where you come from, but my people still pass tales about their history, and what they are about through oral traditions, that have thus far stood the test of time, even with the invention of more sophisticated tools of record keeping, namely writing. Traditions spanning many generations, still persist amongst many African communities. Sure "globalization" is changing social attitudes to varying degrees amongst African communities, but the same is true for just about any non-isolated human society today.

quote:
herukhuti:

It is now up to us uninstall the "buggy software" and try to connect the "real" past with our present situation. Without this "enlightenment", we will keep stumbling as we walk into the future.

I doubt that many Africans have forgotten their "real" past, save for a few. IMO, what Africans need, is effective mobilization of ordinary Africans [who live in a different conscious planet from much the African ruling bourgeois] through organized political consciousness and unity which transcends ethnic jingoism, and centers on universal social aspirations. Then again, ordinary folks around the globe face a similar challenge, regardless of relative differences in socio-economic conditions.

...We're still saying the same thing [Roll Eyes]

There are various PIECES of ancient knowledge still being passed down but we don't have the bigger picture else we wouldn't be in the mess we're in. My people have a lot of oral tradition too but we're still generally confused. NOT A SINGLE African country is really progressing.

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
We're still saying the same thing [Roll Eyes]

There are various PIECES of ancient knowledge still being passed down but we don't have the bigger picture else we wouldn't be in the mess we're in. My people have a lot of oral tradition too but we're still generally confused. NOT A SINGLE African country is really progressing.

I don't see the resemblance between what I am saying and what you're getting at.
Member # 11484

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
We're still saying the same thing [Roll Eyes]

I don't see the resemblance between what I am saying and what you're getting at.
Therein lies the confusion. The English language can be ambiguous.
Macawiis
Member # 11724

Member Rated:
quote:
[QB] Greetings:

who's this mothef.cker? your that same fagget that got wooped by a little oromo girl [Big Grin] i want to thank you i learned a lot about my country because of your rantings and the way she b1tchslapped you was just magic man [Big Grin]

just because arabs recognised us as equals in the past and present doesn't mean you have to call us brainwashed

not 1 arab country protested but they all welcomed us in

where is that arab racisme i was hearing about

yes i'm a muslim and proud of it

i don't give a sh1t what you think!!

quote:
man somalia did more for africa than africa did for somalia you little b1tch

somalia showed no Ill feelings towards it's central african republic brothers during the bokassa era and provided them logistics during their struggle

somalia showed no ill feelings towards samora machel when our president helped him with all types of things to get him to power in mozambique

somali soldiers showed no Ill feelings towards burundi soldiers when they were training them

somalia showed no ill feelings towards Eritrea and it's struggle for independance but provided them with everything it needed

mind you somalia is not a first world country but still managed to deliver to those it promised to help with their struggles

somalia could have ignored the tensions between Uganda and Tanzania and let them go to war that would result in thousands of innocent africans killed but somalia didn't and it persuaded both of them to come to mogadishu to sign a peacedeal

the only reason why somalia went to war with ethiopia and kenya is because of land and not out of hate for it's people

quote:
I say this because the IMF describes Somalia as a FAILED STATE,
somalia without a government

- WORLD BANK

Somalia flourished precisely because of the "world community’s" neglect.

In Somalia, "the very absence of a government may have helped nurture an African oddity — a lean and efficient business sector that does not feed at a public trough controlled by corrupt officials," wrote Peter Maas in the May 2001 issue of The Atlantic Monthly. Tele-communications, transportation, and shipping companies were organized up to provide services to the liberated private sector. Internet cafes have sprung up in Mogadishu. Private security firms helped businessmen protect their investments and property.

A recent World Bank study grudgingly admitted: "Somalia boasts lower rates of extreme poverty and, in some cases, better infrastructure than richer countries in Africa." This is almost certainly because it is not cursed with a World Bank-subsidized central government to siphon away the nation’s wealth.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/artman/publish/article_996.sht ml

The Answer for Africa
by Shafer Parker

According to Andrew Cockburn in the July issue of National Geographic magazine, Somalia is rising, phoenix-like, from the ashes of the 1993 war and becoming an economic powerhouse in eastern Africa precisely because anarchy has reigned ever since. Consider Cockburn’s on-the-scene assessment of what has happened since the war. "Like plants sprouting after a forest fire, Somalis have managed to survive and build on their own, in some respects with more success than developing nations on the receiving end of international aid and advice."

Significantly, the Somalis get it. They have learned through experience that less government is good, and that no government is better. Hear what telecommunications tycoon Abdirizak Ido told Mr. Cockburn: "We have been through some hard times, but the worst was when we had a government. Once there was no government, there was opportunity!"

Somali Businesses Stunted by Too-Free Enterprise

By Ian Fisher

There are five competing airlines here; three phone companies, which have some of the cheapest rates in the world; at least two pasta factories; 45 private hospitals; 55 providers of electricity; 1,500 wholesalers for imported goods; and an infinite number of guys with donkeys who will deliver 55 gallons of clean water to your house for 25 cents.

What Somalia does not have is a government, and in many ways, that makes it the world's purest laboratory for capitalism. No one collects taxes. Business is booming. Libertarians of the world, unite

It is striking that Somalia, unlike many parts of Africa, has achieved this thriving business climate on its own, without the usual aid and advice from rich nations. They have all but disengaged from Somalia since the failure of the United Nations operation here in the early 1990's. Somalis have learned that they are pretty good at making money.

"It's entrepreneurism that's doing it," said Ahmed Abdisalam Adan, director of programs for Horn Afrik, Somalia's first independent radio and television station, established last year. "It's who has more creativity. It's who is willing to take risks. Before it was the government. The government could make you rich one day and poor the next

chinese investors

http://www.puntlandpost.com/newspage.php?articleid=5176

- Business Attraction in Puntland, Somalia

Bossaso city has become a magnet for foreigners who want to invest in Africa. This week alone, there are about half a dozen business people representing Chinese and South Korean corporations in the city. These representatives and others who frequent Puntland want to invest in the region and expand their business to this part of the world. Interested people include wealthy business men from the Middle East.

Puntland (North Eastern Somalia) has not been touched by the country’s civil war and has remained stable after the fall of Somalia’s central government in 1991. It lies on the tip of East Africa and borders Indian Ocean and Red Sea.

-

- • GAROWE, Somalia July 12 (Garowe Online)

THE PUNTLAND Parliament formally ratified an exploration agreement on Wednesday presented by the Administration in a majority vote. The "Puntland Agreement" was signed in mid-2005 between the Puntland State government and Range Resources, Ltd., an Australian exploration company.

After 2 days of debate, 55 Puntland lawmakers out of a total of 66 ratified the "Agreement" – a day after President Mohamud "Adde" Muse addressed Parliament and informed them of changes to an article in the "Agreement." On Tuesday, President Adde told legislators that the "exclusive rights" article was removed from the original contract, which allows Puntland to be divided into "blocks" and that "other companies" are welcome to explore the region's rumored natural resources wealth

Macawiis
Member # 11724

Member Rated:
Communication Networks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4020259.stm

TELCOM SOMALIA

Telcom is the largest and the leading telecommunications network operator in Somalia. Telcom is the first major privately owned company providing telecommunications in Somalia territory. Telcom principal activities include local, long distance, national and international telecommunication, mobile communications, and a wide range of data services including broadband access.

http://www.telcom-somalia.com/index.htm

-

- STG over the years has proven to be a lucrative successful telephone business venture. STG became a vital part of Somali people socially and commercially. Customer demand did not end only for voice and fax services; currently STG telecom services include GSM Mobile services, SMS, Prepaid telecom services, high speed internet, local and international long distance services through out the entire STG Network.

NATIONLINK

Headquartered in Mogadishu, Somalia, NationLink offers a variety of
telecom services including landline telephones, faxes, data, long range
cordless telephones and Internet services. NationLink is one of three major
telecommunications companies headquartered in Mogadishu that has participated
in collaborating to form a joint Internet company -- Somali Internet Company
(SICO) to provide services throughout the region

Macawiis
Member # 11724

Member Rated:
UNIVERSITIES

-  -

The university is a multipurpose institution. In addition to preparing competent professionals, it aims to be a community learning centre, an idea hub, a focal point for practical and theoretical research, and a development engine that makes real difference to lives of the people in the city and beyond.

-

BU was established in Mogadishu, Somalia in September 2002. The University has now four Faculties (Medicine, Computer Science, Education and Engineering). and there are plans to add other faculties at earliest possible time.

-  -

MU shall take a pioneering role in filling the educational gap created during the civil war so as to provide higher education opportunities for the young generations of Somalia.

MU shall give students an opportunity of higher education and specialization in various spheres of sciences and literature in response to the desperate needs of the country for educated human resources.

MU shall develop indigenous scientific knowledge through encouraging focused research programs in the priority sectors

http://www.mogadishuuniversity.com/objectives.html

Future Complex

-

-

Macawiis
Member # 11724

Member Rated:
Amoud University is a community-owned non-governmental, national University and open to all aspiring candidates who fulfill the admission requirements without discrimination based on sex, ethnic, origin, creed or color.

Faculties

Faculty of Education
Faculty of Business and Public Administration
Faculty of Medicine of Surgery
Faculty of Natural Resources (Department of Agriculture )
Faculty of Information & Communication Technology (Online )

Future Hiiraan University Complex
 -

DIASPORA

-

Dahabshiil has 75 agents in the UK and over 400 branches and agents world-wide

The quality of service differentiates Dahabshiil from its competitors. Dahabshiil is now recognised as the most reputable commercial enterprise in the sector. Customers call it trustworthy, reliable, cost-effective and efficient.

The company's long-term strategy is to remain the first choice of money transfer services for migrants from the Horn of Africa. Our mission is to be an innovative, customer-oriented company that consistently exceeds customers' expectations of service.

The diaspora anually pumps billions into somalia

-  -
It may surprise you that we have been around for over 12 years. The company has grown from humble beginning with one Cessna aircraft in 1991, to become one of the largest flights network in Africa. Daallo Airlines is nominated as one of the show case success stories in Africa by Mr. Fick, David S, in his book of "Entrepreneurship in Africa: A study of Success".

-  -

NO AIDS PANDEMIC

-

By STEPHANIE NOLEN
Monday, July 25, 2005

XUDDUR, SOMALIA -- They have posters. They have training manuals. They have wipe-off markers. The only thing that the earnest band of AIDS educators in this Somali town don't have is, well, any people with AIDS.

At least none they know of.

The breadth of the AIDS pandemic has led to the idea in the West that the entire continent is ravaged by the disease. But Somalia -- isolated for 14 years since the civil war began and populated by devout Muslims -- has an infection rate of perhaps only 1.5 or 2 per cent of the adult population.

Its isolation has helped to keep the infection rate one of the lowest in Africa at a time when countries to the south are reporting infection rates of 40 per cent of the adult population

POLIO

''If polio can be stopped in Somalia, it can be stopped anywhere,"

Carol Bellamy, Unicef's executive director

Nairobi - The United Nations has removed conflict-ravaged Somalia from a list of polio-endemic countries as no new cases of the disease have been reported in the Horn of Africa nation for two years, the UN Children's Fund said on Monday.

The agency described Somalia's success in combating polio as a "miraculous victory for children over conflict and devastation."

"If polio can be stopped in Somalia, it can be stopped anywhere," Carol Bellamy, Unicef's executive director, said in statement. "This success is a testament to the will of the Somali people and the effectiveness of strategies in place to stop the virus."

The nation of seven million people has not had an effective central government since the ouster of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991, and has been ruled by rival, heavily armed clan-based militia for more than a decade.

Polio is still endemic in Nigeria, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Niger and Egypt.

An immunisation campaign in Nigeria has been marred by a six-month polio vaccine boycott in the west African nation's predominantly Islamic northern state of Kano.

Kano authorities have insisted tests conducted by the state's scientists last year showed the vaccines were contaminated with a variant of the hormone estrogen, which they said would cause infertility in girls.

Some Nigerian Islamic clerics also argued the vaccines also spread Aids, claiming their evidence originated on the Internet.

Somalia is a predominantly Muslim country, and Unicef praised Islamic leaders in that nation for being a "major force" behind immunisation campaigns.

A fresh three-day campaign was launched in Somalia on Monday.

The United Nations and its partners, including Rotary International and the United States' Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, are planning to implement monitoring systems in Somalia in the next few months. Once they are in place, the country has to have no reported cases of polio for another two years to be deemed polio free.
- Sapa-AP

Macawiis
Member # 11724

Member Rated:
CURRENCY

SoSh (Somali shilling)

-

the SoSh's stability is reflected by the fact that in parts of neighboring Ethiopia the SoSh is more extensivly used than Ethiopia's own currency (little :2003 :144) In fact prior to the last large monetary injection in Somalia in march 1999 and in 2000 the SoSh showed greater stability than the currencies of Ethiopia and Kenya from 1996 february to 1999 the SoSh depreciated against the US$ only 12.14% Between 1996-1999 the Kenyan shilling lost 32.55% against the US$ and the Ethiopian birr depreciated against the dollar 26.58%

-

Berbera of somaliland and bossaso of Puntland ports

LIVE STOCK TRADE

-

REAL ESTATE INDUSTRY

-

HILAAC REAL ESTATE AND CONSTRUCTIONS

Bosasso 1 | 91 houses - almost completed
Bosasso 2 | 80 houses - started september 30 2005
Gaalkacyo 1 | 300 houses - started september 30 2005
Laascaanood | 250 houses - planned to start in 2005
Gaalkacyo 2 | 300 houses - planned to start in 2006
Garowe | 150 houses - planned to start in 2006
Carmo | 100 houses - planned to start in 2006

http://www.hilaac.net/

DARYEEL CONSTRUCTION COMPANY

http://www.daryeel.com/aboutus.htm

Dayeel is locally owned Somaliland Constructions company employing around 400 staff across Somaliland and with completion of approximately 100 of constructions annually.

DCC is highly respected and well-established contracting company, with professional builders and surveyors supported by an experienced administrative team. We provide a complete range of construction and program management services in all in the segments of residential and business building market.

ALLA-AAMIN CONSTRUCTION COMPANY

http://www.alla-aamin.com/

LUCK STAR CONTRUCTION LTD COMPANY

http://www.lstarconstruction.com/home.html

UNIVERSAL & ENGINEERING CONSULTANT CO.

http://unieco.co.uk/default.asp

CHINA CIVIL ENGINEERING CORP

-
http://www.sbconline.net/news.php?page=newspage&id=6443

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least now we know what happens when an unspeakable evil is unleashed on a whole continent of civilised peoples... The echoes of pain & anger of our ancestors from a thousand years back can still be heard right here on this thread as Black on Black feud ensues...

"`What became of the Black people of Sumer?' the traveler asked the old man, for ancient records show that the people of Sumer were Black. `What happened to them?' 'Ah,' the old man sighed. `They lost their history, so they died.'"

...we need Heru.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com