EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » This forum..............

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This forum..............
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats the future of this forum? Its lost some luster and the more serious discussions have disappeared. Its full of picture thread spamming now What can be done to improve the situation here? Anyone have any suggestions?
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the main problem is that this forum is not SOLELY dedicated to Egyptian history, anthropology and culture. Therefore, there is only ONE sub forum in which to post about Egyptian history and culture and the wider African context of which Egypt was a part. If this was a forum dedicated to Egyptian history, anthropology, culture as well as the relation of Egypt to Africa, there would be a place to put picture threads and other off topic information. Unfortunately, everything is put into this one forum as a catch all.

Another thing you have to remember is that many of the posters here are NOT professional Egyptologists. This is significant because of the NEW RULES in Egypt regarding research and publishing findings. Many times the latest information concerning research in Egypt is kept within a small circle until the Egyptian antiquities organization ALLOWS it to be published. So, unless more people here become active in various Egyptological societies and foundations that are doing ongoing research in Egypt, there wont be a lot of information to discuss. A lot of what gets discovered in Egypt barely gets a mention in the news, so the only way to get information on the latest research is to either go to college libraries and get the latest journals and books or to become a member of an Egyptology group.

Posts: 8890 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The future of this forum is really in limbo. I have not decided after 06 if I want to continue with the forum. Most likely I will switch my attention to Nile Valley Civlization forum,or just leave forums along.

Most people on this board are exclusively interested in the ''race'' of the ancient Egyptians but of nothing else in ancient Egypt. I don't mind dicussions of the origin of the ancient Egyptians but this board needs more balance.

One way you can improve this board is to make yourself well rounded in both the origins and culture of ancient Egypt.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by X-Ras:

Whats the future of this forum? Its lost some luster and the more serious discussions have disappeared...

Agreed! We hardly get any discussions relating solely to Egypt anymore except from Ausar.

quote:
Its full of picture thread spamming now..
[Embarrassed] You can blame King for that!!

quote:
What can be done to improve the situation here? Anyone have any suggestions?
More discussions on Egypt, specifically aspects about royal dynasties as well as common folk.
Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

I think the main problem is that this forum is not SOLELY dedicated to Egyptian history, anthropology and culture. Therefore, there is only ONE sub forum in which to post about Egyptian history and culture and the wider African context of which Egypt was a part. If this was a forum dedicated to Egyptian history, anthropology, culture as well as the relation of Egypt to Africa, there would be a place to put picture threads and other off topic information. Unfortunately, everything is put into this one forum as a catch all.

I agree that there should be more talk about Egypt in its relation to the rest of Africa, but as you can see many if not most (especially with King's picture threads and Hotep) are just about the rest of Africa and contemporary African situtions and have NOTHING to do with ancient Egypt.

quote:
Another thing you have to remember is that many of the posters here are NOT professional Egyptologists. This is significant because of the NEW RULES in Egypt regarding research and publishing findings. Many times the latest information concerning research in Egypt is kept within a small circle until the Egyptian antiquities organization ALLOWS it to be published. So, unless more people here become active in various Egyptological societies and foundations that are doing ongoing research in Egypt, there wont be a lot of information to discuss. A lot of what gets discovered in Egypt barely gets a mention in the news, so the only way to get information on the latest research is to either go to college libraries and get the latest journals and books or to become a member of an Egyptology group.
I agree totally.
Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

The future of this forum is really in limbo. I have not decided after 06 if I want to continue with the forum. Most likely I will switch my attention to Nile Valley Civlization forum,or just leave forums along.

[Frown] Please don't leave altogether Ausar, you have been a great help with these topics. We need you!

quote:
Most people on this board are exclusively interested in the ''race'' of the ancient Egyptians but of nothing else in ancient Egypt. I don't mind dicussions of the origin of the ancient Egyptians but this board needs more balance.
I totally agree here. I am definitely one of those who are interested in the cultural aspects of ancient Egypt.

quote:
One way you can improve this board is to make yourself well rounded in both the origins and culture of ancient Egypt.
As always, but the biggest hurdle is for people to start actually DOING this!

Also, is it me, or does it seem like this forum has also lost alot of humor? It seems like the only time we get alot of humor and entertainment is when trolls like Evil-E are around. [Big Grin]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The board is cutting into my personal time. I have not decided to totally give it up for I still will have The Nile Valley Civlization board but the future of Egyptsearch is in total limbo.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SarahA
Member # 11716

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SarahA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti I don't understand why you are so against these picture threads. I have learned alot about African people and how beautiful they are. If you don't like the pictures then don't open the threads. Why can't you understand that most people enjoy looking at these pictures of Africans. I have always wanted to find a forum where I could find pictures of Africans. They are beautiful people and I hope that King keeps posting pictures. I have been educated by seeing these people. Where I am from you never get to see the divirsity of African people. They are always sterotyped as looking a certain way. These pictures have shown me that Africans are very beautiful and diverse people. So I don't mean to be rude but if you don't like the pictures then don't open the threads. Ausar I hope that Egyptsearch stays open this is a great forum about Egypt. I understand that you don't really like the Race aspect of Egyptsearch but this is a very important and touchy subject. I believe that the reason why their is so much race topics is because people come hear with thoughts that the Ancient Egyptians were not Africans. So posters like Rasol Supercar and others have to keep repeating themselves about the Race of the Ancient Egyptians. I for one believe that Ancient Egyptians were African. Egypt was populated from the south, west and a little from the east. This would make the Ancient Egyptians Black Africans with a minor middle eastern component. I hope you stay on this forum because I have read alot of your posts and you are a very informed moderator. I hope you stay.

Sarah Anderson

Posts: 12 | From: Vacation Spot | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand what intention of many that want to put Egypt back in Africa historically. The early Egyptologist and many modern Egyptologist have/had their own agenda. I am quite understanding but ancient Egypt is much more than just halpotypes;genotypes,or phenotypes. The ancient Egyptians had a deep culture and way of life that is little explored by people on this board. Let me emphasize I am not against topics seeking the origins of the ancient Egyptians nor on their ''race'' but it appears that many other facets of ancient Egypt are being ignored.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SarahA:

Djehuti I don't understand why you are so against these picture threads. I have learned alot about African people and how beautiful they are. If you don't like the pictures then don't open the threads. Why can't you understand that most people enjoy looking at these pictures of Africans. I have always wanted to find a forum where I could find pictures of Africans. They are beautiful people and I hope that King keeps posting pictures. I have been educated by seeing these people. Where I am from you never get to see the divirsity of African people. They are always sterotyped as looking a certain way. These pictures have shown me that Africans are very beautiful and diverse people. So I don't mean to be rude but if you don't like the pictures then don't open the threads. Ausar I hope that Egyptsearch stays open this is a great forum about Egypt. I understand that you don't really like the Race aspect of Egyptsearch but this is a very important and touchy subject. I believe that the reason why their is so much race topics is because people come hear with thoughts that the Ancient Egyptians were not Africans. So posters like Rasol Supercar and others have to keep repeating themselves about the Race of the Ancient Egyptians. I for one believe that Ancient Egyptians were African. Egypt was populated from the south, west and a little from the east. This would make the Ancient Egyptians Black Africans with a minor middle eastern component. I hope you stay on this forum because I have read alot of your posts and you are a very informed moderator. I hope you stay.

Sarah Anderson

And where did YOU come from all of a sudden, "Sarah".

I have my suspicions about you already, especially from your style of writing.

Again, as I have repeated for the hundredth time, I hold NOTHING against King's pictures but as X-ras pointed out, they are have nothing to do with the subject of this forum and are a big (although positive) distraction.

[Embarrassed] If you want to see pictures of Africans then may I suggest you go on Google and see first hand the source of the vast majority of King's pictures!!

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see anything wrong with the African pictures. The pictures are marked off-topic and so they are allright.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, with all due respect, the history of Egyptology, is FULL of racism. THEREFORE, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to discuss Egypt and Egyptian history without discussing RACE, since RACE pervades the very FOUNDATION of Egyptology as a science. REMEMBER, the study of Anthropology and Archaeology were OUTGROWTHS of European colonial expansion in the 17th and 18th century. IN FACT, the study of Egypt SPARKED the development of archaeology as a "science", but even so, it STILL was an outgrowth of the COLONIAL occupation of Egypt by Britain, France and other European powers. Egypt and Africa have been INEXTRICABLY linked from a anthropological, sociological and archaeological perspective. Firstly, the FACT that Egypt was a GREAT civilization that PREDATED MOST others, including Mesopotamia, made it a SPECIAL prize for Europeans. The fact that Egypt was so advanced and IN AFRICA, automatically caused MANY EUROPEANS to try and understand HOW Egypt could have been so GREAT, while MOST AFRICANS, in the minds of Europeans, were BACKWARD and SAVAGE. THEREFORE, study of Egypt led to the study of Africa proper, just like the COLONIZATION of Egypt led to the COLONIZATION of Africa. Subsequently ALL DISCOURSE about Egypt and Africa was one of SEPARATING Egypt FROM Africa, physically, culturally and ethnically. The ideas about Egypt being "great" due to proximity to European cultures gained its FOOTING during this period. Likewise, the idea of other Africans being savage and ignorant ALSO got its start during this period. Almost ALL anthropology and archaeology from this time is based around concepts of RACIAL SUPERIORITY and Eurocentrism. Therefore, unless you want to be like many modern anthropologists and archaeologists who claim to be "historians" but FORGET their OWN history, you would SEE that it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid RACE as in issue in Egyptian studies. It may be hard to accept, but the TRUTH is that MANY of the atrocities committed against Africans and other indigenous peoples was JUSTIFIED by the ENLIGHTENED EUGENICS which was ANTHROPOLOGY. But if you are GOING TO TELL HISTORY, then TELL THE WHOLE STORY and NOT PROPAGANDA.

Egyptsearch is a good forum in many respects. The points of view heard here, however, are NOT MAINSTREAM by ANY STRETCH of the imagination. Now, you can TRUST the anthropologists and archaeologists if you want. But, given the HISTORY of those institutions, I would be HARD PUT to trust an institution that, at its foundation, is BASED around LIES and DECEPTION.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropology
quote:

Institutionally, anthropology emerged from the development of natural history (expounded by authors such as Buffon) that occurred during the European colonization of the 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. Programs of ethnographic study have their origins in this era as the study of the "human primitives" overseen by colonial administrations. There was a tendency in late 18th century Enlightenment thought to understand human society as natural phenomena that behaved in accordance with certain principles and that could be observed empirically.[1] In some ways, studying the language, culture, physiology, and artifacts of European colonies was not unlike studying the flora and fauna of those places. Some critics point to the fact that the material culture of "civilized" nations such as China have historically been displayed in fine-art museums alongside European art, while artifacts from African and Native North American cultures were displayed in Natural History Museums, alongside dinosaur bones and nature dioramas. The British Museum or the Parisian Musée de l'Homme are examples of such museums—the Musée de l'Homme held the "Hottentot Venus" remains until the 1970s. Saartje Baartman, a Namaqua woman, was examined by anatomist Georges Cuvier.

It must also be noted that if Anthropology was a TRUE science based on the diversity of people in Africa and elsewhere, KING's PHOTOS would not be SUCH A RELEVATION. These African photo threads are PRECISELY a relevation BECAUSE of the distortion within anthropology which represents ALL Africans as butt naked spear chuckers with NO CONCEPT of settled, organized civilization. This CONTRADICTS the MANY cultures of Africa who ARE or WERE so settled, including those of Timbuktu, Zimbabwe, Egypt, South Africa and Kush. It contradicts the fact of farming and agriculture originating in Africa, prior to the Near East. It contradicts the facts of cosmetics and personal adornment ORIGINATING in Africa. It contradicts the concept of clothing ORIGINATING in Africa. It contradicts the fact of religious ceremony and the worship of spirits (human, animal and natural) ORIGINATING in Africa. It contradicts the cultural and ethnic ties that exist between Egypt and Africa and NOWHERE ELSE. It contradicts the fact that Egyptian culture was NOT closely linked to Near Eastern culture.... Anthropology is SUPPOSED to tie all of us together in a COMMON heritage of human history and cultural development. Yet Anthropology does JUST THE OPPOSITE, which is reinforce MODERN biases and predudices that have been the BASIS of much pain and suffering for REAL PEOPLE of the world.

History, archaeology, anthropology, sociology and even religion are TOOLS of PROPAGANDA. Always have been and always will be, whether it is the Egyptians portraying all foreigners as "wretched" or Greeks looking at all Non Greeks as SAVAGE or Europeans looking down upon all non Europeans a sub-human. This TRAIT goes back into prehistory and is not going to change any time soon. The sooner we come to grips with that, the sooner we will be able to understand REAL HISTORY.

Posts: 8890 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I've never agreed with the censoring done by the Egytological community. It not only creates an air of suspicion, but the world deserves to know what is going on...and what new theories there are. There's so much about the Egyptological community that is full of BS that it's not even funny!
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SarahA
Member # 11716

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SarahA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
And where did YOU come from all of a sudden, "Sarah".

I have my suspicions about you already, especially from your style of writing.

Again, as I have repeated for the hundredth time, I hold NOTHING against King's pictures but as X-ras pointed out, they are have nothing to do with the subject of this forum and are a big (although positive) distraction.

If you want to see pictures of Africans then may I suggest you go on Google and see first hand the source of the vast majority of King's pictures!!

Djehuti, I have looked on google. If you really looked on google you would find out that most of the pictures that King has is not from google. Let me tell you an example. When I look for pictures on Niger the first pictures it shows are pictures of Famine pictures, then it moves on to pictures of the Flag of niger, then it shows pictures of Africa, it hardly shows any pictures of the people of Niger. In the first 100 pictures you would be lucky to find 10 good pics of the people. You may not understand but I have looked through google and they don't have a majority of the pictures posted by King. It is not really that good for pictures on Africans. May I also ask what is wrong with my style of writing.Ausar I understand where you are coming from. From reading some of the older threads the Race issue seems to be very much talked about. It is a shame that the culture of Egypt seems to get ignored. Hopefully this trend will change and the much more important parts of Egypt will be talked about more. I would also like to visit your forum Ausar. The Nile valley sounds like it goes into detail about the cultures of Egypt and Sudan. I will be also posting on your forum.

Sarah Anderson

Posts: 12 | From: Vacation Spot | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Whatever you say, King's friend. [Wink]
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
quote:

I've never agreed with the censoring done by the Egytological community. It not only creates an air of suspicion, but the world deserves to know what is going on...and what new theories there are. There's so much about the Egyptological community that is full of BS that it's not even funny!
They have to make sure that whatever they find fits into the established B.S. I mean propaganda of the department.... [Smile]
SarahA
Member # 11716

Rate Member
quote:
^^Whatever you say, King's friend. [Wink]

King's Friend. Is this why you say I am suspicious? I don't mind being called King's friend. Djehuti you really just need to enjoy the pictures. If you don't like them then don't open the threads. But these picture threads have educated me and others on African diversity.

Sarah Anderson

Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug,

You are right. It is important to study the race of the Ancient Egyptians because of the racism that was a major component of early Egyptology. I also agree with Ausar. I too would love to just study the culture, lifestyle, religion, etc. of the Ancient Egyptians. AE has one of the greatest cultures in human civilization, and the more we know about its culture, the better.

Also, be patient with some of us who are new and are learning. I personally am learning a whole lot just by reading the discussions. I have been studying Egypt for years, but I realize how much learning I have to do before I can truly get involved in some of these conversations. Salaam.

P.S.-Sarah, thank you for your comments. I too have desired to see different pictures of Africans. The thread that really interests me is the thread on Chad, because Chad is hardly discussed in ANY history book in America, know what I mean. Blessings.

Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
I agree that we need to study the culture, lifestyle and religion of Egypt. However, in order to understand those things you need to know HOW those were part of a LARGER pattern of human migration and development IN AFRICA. Therefore, you have to look at the people in and around Egypt, in Africa, for clues to the ORIGINS of many "pharoanic" beliefs. Trust me, there are MANY African cultures that predated Egypt that had many of the same styles of kingship, cosmology and other traits. Looking at REAL African history, not the European DISTORTED version of African history will allow you to SEE the real picture of development of Egypt. Unfortunately, the actions of Europeans and Arabs in the last 600 years has DESTROYED many African civilizations, not just for PROFIT, but also to ERASE the evidence of African culture and human development PRIOR to whites. Just like you cannot talk about the development of the United States without talking about European history and culture (even though it was an INDIAN country at first), you cannot talk about Egypt without talking about African history and culture.

The FACT that Egyptology separates the Egyptians from Africa and the FACT that Egyptology separates Egyptians from other Africans, makes this whole PROCESS that much more difficult. Egyptsearch is a good forum, even with the race baiting and trolling that sometimes takes place. However, no matter how much TRUTH is put out on this forum, there will STILL be a whole bunch of LIES and DECEPTION pushed by the ORTHODOX Egyptological establishment. Egyptology STILL wants to make ancient Egypt into a "caucasian" race and culture. So, if you dont like the heat, stay out of the kitchen, as they say. Because, bottom line, until Egyptology starts presenting the FACTS of Egypt being a BLACK African civilization and culture, then a forum like this will ALWAYS be needed. In fact, I dont believe Egyptology or the SCA will EVER promote Egypt as a BLACK African civilization. As far as they are concerned it will ALWAYS be a caucasian civilization, even though the SCA is RUN BY EGYPTIANS. This is because Egyptology, just like anthropology and archaeology were DESIGNED FOR WHITE SUPREMACY, nothing else. The FACTS should be OBVIOUS by now.
Anthropology, archaeology and Egyptology were all part of the SAME process of colonial exploitation and DESTRUCTION of African people and culture.

But hey, maybe shutting this one down will finally FORCE people to jump to the Nile Valley Forum. [Smile]

I just hope that somehow some of the GOOD information that has been posted here can be archived for the future.

More from the history of Anthropology:
quote:

Late eighteenth century ethnology established the scientific foundation for the field, which began to mature when Andrew Jackson was President of the United States (1829-1837). Jackson was responsible for implementing the Indian Removal Act, the coerced and forced removal of an estimated 100,000 American Indians during the 1830s to Indian Territory in present-day Oklahoma; for insuring that the franchise was extended to all white men, irrespective of financial means while denying virtually all black men the right to vote; and, for suppressing abolitionists’ efforts to end slavery while vigorously defending that institution. Finally, he was responsible for appointing Chief Justice Roger B. Taney who would decide, in Scott v. Sandford (1857), that Negroes were “beings of an inferior order, and altogether unfit to associate with the white race. . . and so far inferior that they had no rights which the white man was bound to respect.” As a result of this decision, black people, whether free or enslaved, could never become citizens of the United States.

It was in this context that the so-called American School of Anthropology thrived as the champion of polygenism or the doctrine of multiple origins—sparking a debate between those influenced by the Bible who believed in the unity of humanity and those who argued from a scientific standpoint for the plurality of origins and the antiquity of distinct types. Like the monogenists, these theories were not monolithic and often used words like races, species, hybrid, and mongrel interchangeably. A scientific consensus began to emerge during this period “that there exists a Genus Homo, embracing many primordial types of ‘species.’” Charles Caldwell, Samuel George Morton, Samuel A. Cartwright, George Gliddon, Josiah C. Nott, and Louis Agassiz, and even South Carolina Governor James Henry Hammond were all influential proponents of this school. While some were disinterested scientists, others were passionate advocates who used science to promote slavery in a period of increasing sectional strife. All were complicit in establishing the putative science that justified slavery, informed the Dred Scott decision, underpinned miscegenation laws, and eventually fueled Jim Crow. Samuel G. Morton, for example, claimed to be just a scientist but he did not hesitate to provide evidence of Negro inferiority to John C. Calhoun, the prominent pro-slavery Secretary of State to help him negotiate the annexation of Texas as a slave state.
Politics of anthropology

American cultural anthropology developed during the first four decades of the 20th century under the powerful influence of Franz Boas and his students and their struggle against racial determinism and the ethnocentrism of 19th century cultural evolutionism. With the additional impact of the Great Depression and World War II, American anthropology developed a pronounced liberal-left tone by the 1950s. However, the discipline's deep involvement with nonwestern cultures put it in a vulnerable position during the campus upheavals of the late 1960s and in the subsequent "culture wars." The "politics of anthropology" has become a pervasive concern since then. Whatever the realities, the notion of anthropology as somehow complicit in morally unacceptable projects has become a significant topic both within the discipline and in "cultural studies" and "post-colonialism," etc. A few of the central elements in this discourse are the following:

* The claim that the discipline grew out of colonialism, perhaps was in league with it, and derived some of its key notions from it, consciously or not. (See, e.g., Gough, Pels and Salemink, but cf. Lewis 2004). It is often assumed that an example of this exploitative relationship can be seen in the relationship between of British anthropologists and colonial forces in Africa, yet this assumption has not been supported by much evidence. (See Asad et al; cf. Desai.)

* The idea that social and political problems must arise because anthropologists usually have more power than the people they study; it is a form of colonialist theft in which the anthropologist gains power at the expense of subjects (Rabinow, Dwyer, McGrane). Anthropologists, they argue, can gain yet more power by exploiting knowledge and artifacts of the people they study while the people they study gain nothing, or even lose, in the exchange (e.g. Deloria). Little critical writing has been published in response to these wide-ranging claims, themselves the product of the political concerns and atmosphere of their own times. (See Trencher for a critique.)

* It is claimed the discipline was ahistorical, and dealt with its "objects" (sic) "out of time," to their detriment (Fabian). It is often claimed that anthropologists regularly "exoticized 'the Other,'" or, with equal assurance, that they inappropriately universalized "Others" and "human nature." (For references and a response see Lewis 1998.)

* Other more explicitly political concerns have to do with anthropologists’ entanglements with government intelligence agencies, on the one hand, and anti-war politics on the other. Franz Boas publicly objected to US participation in World War I, and after the war he published a brief expose and condemnation of the participation of several American archeologists in espionage in Mexico under their cover as scientists. But by the 1940s, many of Boas' anthropologist contemporaries were active in the allied war effort against the "Axis" (Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, and Imperial Japan). Many served in the armed forces but others worked in intelligence (e.g. Office of Strategic Services [OSS} and the Office of War Information). David H. Price's work on American anthropology during the Cold War provides detailed accounts of the pursuit and dismissal of several anthropologists for their vocal left-wing sympathies. On the other hand, attempts to accuse anthropologists of complicity with the CIA and government intelligence activities during the Vietnam War years have turned up surprisingly little. (Anthropologists did not participate in the stillborn Project Camelot, for example. See Lewis 2005) On the contrary, many anthropologists (students and teachers) were active in the antiwar movement and a great many resolutions condemning the war in all its aspects were passed overwhelmingly at the annual meetings of the American Anthropological Association (AAA). In the decades since the Vietnam war the tone of cultural and social anthropology, at least, has been increasingly politicized, with the dominant liberal tone of earlier generations replaced with one more radical, a mix of, and varying degrees of, Marxist, feminist, post-colonial, post-modern, Saidian, Foucaultian, identity-based, and more.

Professional anthropological bodies often object to the use of anthropology for the benefit of the state. Their codes of ethics or statements may proscribe anthropologists from giving secret briefings. The British Association for Social Anthropology has called certain scholarships ethically dangerous. The AAA's current 'Statement of Professional Responsibility' clearly states that "in relation with their own government and with host governments... no secret research, no secret reports or debriefings of any kind should be agreed to or given."

More recently, there have been concerns expressed about bioprospecting, along with struggles for self-representation for native peoples and the repatriation of indigenous remains and material culture, with anthropologists often in the lead on these issues.

Other political controversies come from the emphasis in American anthropology on cultural relativism and its long-standing antipathy to the concept of race. The development of sociobiology in the late 1960s was opposed by cultural anthropologists such as Marshall Sahlins, who argued that these positions were reductive. While authors such John Randal Baker continued to develop the biological concept of race into the 1970s, the rise of genetics has proven to be central to developments on this front. As genetics continues to advance as a science some anthropologists such as Luca Cavalli-Sforza have continued to transform and advance notions of race through the use of recent developments in genetics, such as tracing past migrations of peoples through their mitochondrial and Y-chromosomal DNA, and ancestry-informative markers.

But as far as the political section in the above quote goes, MODERN Anthropology will NOT acknowledge the HISTORY of racism and bias within itself and therefore any attempt to make Anthropology a TOOL of exploitation is always "without evidence", even though the EVIDENCE IS OBVIOUS. The people being studied were the SAME PEOPLE being DESTROYED or OPPRESSED. So there isnt any LACK OF EVIDENCE in this regard. Once again you see the MODERN academic community trying to SEPARATE itself as an 'objective' force in history when the TRUTH is just the opposite. At the same time Andrew Jackson was espousing his RACIAL doctrines, Champoillon was deciphering the heiroglyphs, ushering in the beginnings of Egyptology and archaeology. Archaeology BEGAN in Egypt but, once again, because EGYPT is IN AFRICA, the study of Egypt is SEPARATE from the study of "classical" archaeology, which puts GREECE AND ROME on the pinnacle of HUMAN CIVILIZATIONS, whereas Egypt is a mere afterthought (ie. not signifigant to the development of European civilization). Even MORE critical, classical archeology looks at EUROPE as the pinnacle of human civilization and all others are a mere afterthought to this development. Archaeology didnt really become a SCIENCE until Europeans went to Egypt. It was in EGYPT that the techniques of preserving antiquities and laying out the process of excavations became preeminent as part of archaeology as a science.

But modern archaeologists want to DISTANCE themselves from THEIR OWN HISTORY, so they try and promote archaeology, Egyptology and anthropology as "OBJECTIVE". However, by examining the FACTS about these fields, which have ONLY BEEN AROUND FOR 200 years, you will SEE that they are a PART of the RISE of Europe as a COLONIAL and IMPERIAL POWER. Therefore, these fields are as much an attempt to EXPLAIN and JUSTIFY the actions of this NEW POWER in relation to the OTHER people of the planet who they destroyed in the process as they are to REALLY trying to tell the HUMAN STORY. Unfortunately, it will be a while before these fields TRULY become UNBIASED towards Europe as the FOCUS and EPITOME of human culture and consciousnees, partly because of the DENIAL of some within these fields and partly because of the NECESSITY to MAINTAIN a ROSY PICTURE OF HISTORY about how Europe rose to power among the people's of the world.

History of Archaeology:
quote:

In the Old World, archaeology has tended to focus on the study of physical remains, the methods used in recovering them and the theoretical and philosophical underpinnings in achieving the subject's goals. The discipline's roots in antiquarianism and the study of Latin and Ancient Greek provided it with a natural affinity with the field of history. In the New World, archaeology is more commonly devoted to the study of human societies and is treated as one of the four subfields of Anthropology. The other subfields of anthropology supplement the findings of archaeology in a holistic manner. These subfields are cultural anthropology, which studies behavioural, symbolic, and material dimensions of culture; linguistics, which studies language, including the origins of language and language groups; and physical anthropology, which includes the study of human evolution and physical and genetic characteristics. Other disciplines also supplement archaeology, such as paleontology, paleozoology, paleoethnobotany, paleobotany, geography, geology, art history, and classics.

Archaeology has been described as a craft that enlists the sciences to illuminate the humanities. The American archaeologist Walter Taylor asserted in his major work "A Study of Archeology" (1948, American Anthropological Association) that "Archaeology is neither history nor anthropology. As an autonomous discipline, it consists of a method and a set of specialised techniques for the gathering, or 'production' of cultural information".

History of Egyptology:
quote:

Egyptology is the scientific study of Ancient Egypt and Egyptian antiquities and is a regional and thematic branch of the larger disciplines of ancient history and archaeology. A practitioner of the discipline is an Egyptologist.

Egyptology investigates the range of Ancient Egyptian culture (language, literature, history, religion, art, economics, and ethics) from the 5th millennium BC up to the end of Roman rule in the 4th century AD.

Modern Egyptology (as opposed to an antiquarian interest in the land of Egypt) is generally perceived as beginning in the year 1822, when Jean-François Champollion announced his general decipherment of the system of Egyptian hieroglyphics for the first time, employing the Rosetta Stone as his primary aid. With subsequently ever-increasing knowledge of Egyptian writing and language, the study of Ancient Egyptian civilisation was able to proceed with greater academic rigour and with all the added impetus that comprehension of the written sources was able to engender.

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone wants to know where King got those photos from just go to this link

http://users.boardnation.com/~theoasis/index.php?board=7

Now can the picture spamming please stop? Enough is enough.

Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X-Ras

I never got my pictures from this forum. This is the first time I have seen this forum. Why are you trying to tell me where I got my pictures from? I get my pictures from all over the internet. But this is not one of the places I get my pictures from but thanks for showing us this website.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotep2u
Member # 9820

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotep2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings:

Folks IGNORE the Dodo Bird because for some reason the bird brain attacks most posters who comes to Egyptsearch.
Honestly if you are for Afrikan people then watch out because the hater will attack with relentless one liners showing his dis-pleasure that you don't think how he wants you to think or you don't worship him as a GOD, why do you think he uses the name Djehuti because he expects you to worship him.

OHH GREAT and MIGHTY DJEHUTI please forgive us of our sins, We your humble servants have strayed from Egyptian topics that you want us to discuss.
How dare we look at pictures of Afrikans that King shows us, King you are evil person Djehuti will take away your crown King so repent before it's too late, because Djehuti is upset.

What type of offerings should we sacrifice in the honor of the God of Egyptians discussions.

Hotep

--------------------
TruthSeeker

Posts: 477 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hotep2u:
Greetings:

Folks IGNORE the Dodo Bird because for some reason the bird brain attacks most posters who comes to Egyptsearch.
Honestly if you are for Afrikan people then watch out because the hater will attack with relentless one liners showing his dis-pleasure that you don't think how he wants you to think or you don't worship him as a GOD, why do you think he uses the name Djehuti because he expects you to worship him.

OHH GREAT and MIGHTY DJEHUTI please forgive us of our sins, We your humble servants have strayed from Egyptian topics that you want us to discuss.
How dare we look at pictures of Afrikans that King shows us, King you are evil person Djehuti will take away your crown King so repent before it's too late, because Djehuti is upset.

What type of offerings should we sacrifice in the honor of the God of Egyptians discussions.

Hotep

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] LMFAO!!!

Hotep2u that's some funny s***!

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Not as funny as Hotep's description of an AFRICAN PRE-ISLAMIC trance ritual as being an example of Arab-Islamic brainwashing! [Big Grin]

That's why Hotep appears to be mad at me! [Wink]

If I am a bird, I am the wise and oracular ibis, not a do-do, but speaking of do-dos, folks just ignore Hotep. He is just sour over his righteous exposure of his blind hatred against Muslims.

If I were an actual Egyptian god, I don't think any sacrifice or propitiation from the likes of him would be fit to receive.

[Embarrassed] Again, I suggest you change your name from 'Hotep' to Wakhakwi! It suits you most well!

rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
I understand what intention of many that want to put Egypt back in Africa historically. The early Egyptologist and many modern Egyptologist have/had their own agenda. I am quite understanding but ancient Egypt is much more than just halpotypes;genotypes,or phenotypes. The ancient Egyptians had a deep culture and way of life that is little explored by people on this board. Let me emphasize I am not against topics seeking the origins of the ancient Egyptians nor on their ''race'' but it appears that many other facets of ancient Egypt are being ignored.

Here's my free advice [Smile] .

Use the issue of the 'race' of the ancient Kemetians as a lure to get the folks into the door.

Then you can expose them to the aspects of Kemetic culture and history that most interest you.

The controversy over the identity of the Egyptians is *your friend*.

Without this relevant, political, polemical issue, AE is just musty history text.

How many forums are there with roiling LIVELY discussions on Sumererian, or Incan civilisation?

Not many. And why is that?

I've seen on this forum, many people have become interested in the Fulani, or the Tutsi, the Beja or Masai, in linguistics, skeletal anthropology and genetics....all because of the central 'controversy' over the identify of the AE.

Bottom line: it's YOUR JOB to make Kemetic culture interesting and relevant...to the "masses".

Don't underestimate yourself or the results of your efforts in that regard.

And Egyptian scholar willing to speak to the realities of Ancient Egypt, and not just pimp it t the "white ws.t" or bow down before Arab/Islamic imperialism is a very powerful person and makes and invaluable contribution. [Smile]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^I agree. It doesn't hurt to trick people into getting interested in the cultural aspects by their original interest in the 'racial' identity issue.

That was how I was not only able to learn alot more about Egyptian culture but put the cultural complex into its true [African] perspective.

Reid
Member # 11536

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hotep got jokes [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I understand where Hotep is coming from. Djehuti seems to have this idea that he runs this forum and that his word is the law. Djehuti just needs to realize that their is more than one voice on this forum. I don't think any changes to the forum needs to be taken. I enjoy reading about the race of the Ancient Egyptians. And while I don't agree with everything being said I really like seeing the different points of view. The only problem I have with this forum is that there is no search function. Its hard work going through all these threads manually. But If I think it is too difficult then I will use the google idea and see how this idea works.

Posts: 32 | From: Waterloo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Actually no. [Embarrassed] But don't get mad at me Reid, because your ignorance precedes you.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
How much more can this forum degress? First picture spamming, then African "clashing", and now a few of our 'unenlightened' (a huge understatement since I am being very polite here) posters have begun childish attacks on me.

Only in Egyptsearch. [Roll Eyes]

Reid
Member # 11536

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only Ignorant person seems to be you Djehuti. You say people are attacking you but you seem to be the person who attacks anybody new. You should really think about what you type before you call anybody childish. If the forum has degressed as you put it is only because of you and your comments. You think the forum is degressing then you should make some new topics up. To be honest I don't understand any thing you have said. From reading some of the older threads you were against the "Race" topics. It seems you liked it better when you had racist around so you could make fun of them. I guess you don't like that the New posters will stand up to you. If this is what you mean by degressing then I am all for it. Like people have been telling you before if you don't like the Picture threads then don't open them. I have an idea, just ignore them.
Posts: 32 | From: Waterloo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^Sorry, but I call it paranoia to accuse me of "attacking anybody new to the forum", and I dare say on your part, insecure.

Perhaps you are somewhat perturbed by that your fantasies of a "mixed-race" Egypt have been shattered(?).

Reid
Member # 11536

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mixed race? All I said was that Egypt had people you could call Asiatic. If this is supposed to be some cheap shot at me, then I hope you can do better then this. This was very pathetic. The truth is that Egypt had Asiatic people in it. what is "shatterd" Is you thinking that you own this forum and people have to listen to what you say. You have to realize that you don't own this forum and nobody cares what you think. What makes your word any better then anyone elses word.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Reid:

Mixed race? All I said was that Egypt had people you could call Asiatic. If this is supposed to be some cheap shot at me, then I hope you can do better then this. This was very pathetic. The truth is that Egypt had Asiatic people in it...

[Embarrassed] Of course Egypt had an influx of Asiatics during the Middle Kingdom, hence the Hyksos. This does not by any means changes Egyptian culture from African to part Asiatic.

On the other hand, you had ancient Greece which IS derived largely from Asiatics and whose culture had many Asiatic roots yet you never hear about Greece being 'Asiatic' but only European. Egypt is the one where people love to attribute there being an Asiatic flavor.

quote:
...what is "shatterd" Is you thinking that you own this forum and people have to listen to what you say. You have to realize that you don't own this forum and nobody cares what you think. What makes your word any better then anyone elses word.
LMAO [Big Grin] And exactly gave you the idea that I think I "own this forum"??

Seriously Reid, I think you need a break from the forum altogether and get some rest. You obviously aren't thinking clearly. [Big Grin]

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
I agree that ancient Egypt had some people from many regions of the globe. HOWEVER, that does not make ancient Egypt MORE "asiatic" or anything other than MAINLY African. The ancient Egyptians NEVER identified themselves with Asiatics or rather people from the Levant. So, even though there WERE people in Egypt from the Levant,the ISSUE becomes one of trying to gauge how large or small this population was, versus the INDIGENOUS NON Asiatic Egyptians. There is AMPLE evidence of people OVER emphasizing "asiatic" features among Egyptians, especially during periods of RESURGENCE AGAINST ASIATICS. Therefore, if you want to talk about Asiatics and Libyans in Egypt, then it is best to talk about those periods when Asiatics and Libyans were KNOWN to have taken power in Egypt, like the FIRST, SECOND or THIRD intermediate periods. The other periods of Egypt's history were MAINLY indigenous SOUTHERN Egyptian Africans, according to the EGYPTIANS themselves. So, while I agree that there were "asiatics" in Egypt, I disagree with trying to GO AGAINST THE GRAIN of Egyptian history to ARBITRARILY insert "asiatics" into Egypt's population and ruling elite TOTALLY in contradiction to the evidence.
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Of course Egypt had an influx of Asiatics during the Middle Kingdom, hence the Hyksos. This does not by any means changes Egyptian culture from African to part Asiatic.

On the other hand, you had ancient Greece which IS derived largely from Asiatics and whose culture had many Asiatic roots yet you never hear about Greece being 'Asiatic' but only European. Egypt is the one where people love to attribute there being an Asiatic flavor.

Matter of fact, the Greeks derived from both Africa [via the Nile Valley] and southwest Asia. Greece was not developed in absence of either one region.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Indeed.. Yet it seems we always hear about Egypt having somekind of "mixed" heritage but never Mesopotamia or Greece, despite the diverse backgrounds of its peoples.
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Its still too much trolling here, when will it stop? What ever happened to the more serious discussions. The forum should be named trollsearch.
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think perhaps EgyptSearch has recently been gaining higher ranking on google and it's being exposed to more people in search of topics about Egypt.

It's not neccessarily a bad thing.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
[Embarrassed] *sigh* I've been gone for almost 3 days and it appears the nonsense is still here.
sammy
Administrator
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds to me like we need to rename this forum "Egyptology" and create a new forum dedicated to African roots, Ancient history etc. Anyone have ideas for a new forum name?
Posts: 114 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
quote:
Sounds to me like we need to rename this forum "Egyptology" and create a new forum dedicated to African roots, Ancient history etc. Anyone have ideas for a new forum name?
You are the real sammy? Okay, the board is about Ancient Egypt and Egyptology but the origins of the ancient Egyptians is just one of the topics that has existed since the advent of Egyptology. We cannot help but to also discuss other factors like Archaeology;Genetic reserch;and bio-anthropology. This is why the topics often drift off into discussions not related to ancient Egypt/Egyptology.

Could you please clean out your private messages,sammy? I have been trying to send you a personal message.

BTW, if I am in violation of any thing let me know,sammy. I will stop it.

sammy
Administrator
Member # 2

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No violations at all :-) I'm surprised you're still putting up with all this to be moderator.
I understand what you mean about origins of Egypt, but it seems like we need a separate forum for all these off-topic African threads.

Posts: 114 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sammy:
No violations at all :-) I'm surprised you're still putting up with all this to be moderator.
I understand what you mean about origins of Egypt, but it seems like we need a separate forum for all these off-topic African threads.

An extension for such here on Egyptsearch probably won't be a bad idea, considering that Egyptsearch generates a great deal of traffic, which is a plus for the survival of any forum.
Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
decided this was a waste. Sorry
Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com