EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Recommended Readings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recommended Readings
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Throughout my readings in AE history I've not come across a substantiated claim that the Egyptian civilization is of African origin. I've been reading what you would call mainstream Egyptology. Would you mind recommending some books and sites for the African origin supposition. Thx.
Posts: 217 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

GENESIS OF THE PHARAOHS
Dramatic new discoveries rewrite the origins of ancient Egypt!
by Toby Wilkinson, Egyptologist

ISBN 0-500-05122 · 88 illustrations, 25 in color · 208 pages, (2003)

Peer Review Excerpt:

Genesis of the Pharaohs: Genesis of the ‘Ka’ and Crowns?
by Timothy Kendall, Archaeologist

In his Genesis of the Pharaohs, Toby Wilkinson shines new light on the Predynastic by demonstrating that the majority of rock drawings in the Eastern Desert of Upper Egypt date to Naqada I (c. 4000–3500 BC). Since the petroglyphs depict wild African fauna, hunters with bows and dogs, and men herding cattle, it is clear that the now nearly lifeless region up to 100 km east of the Nile between Quft and Hierakonpolis was at this time a well-watered, well-populated, game-rich savanna. That the rock artists were not mere isolated pastoralists but also part-time Nile dwellers is evident because their works commonly include boats. This implies that the artists probably moved from river to range in seasonal cycles. Because of this, and the fact that so many of the drawings echo subjects in later Egyptian art, Wilkinson makes a compelling case that the rock artists were the ancestors of the dynastic Egyptians. His conclusion: “the heavy reliance of these people on herding and hunting rather than agriculture suggests that their roots — and indeed the roots of Egyptian civilization — lay not so much along the Nile but in the pre-arid Sahara.” [Full Article]

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meskel
Member # 11979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meskel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything on or relating to Ethiopia? [Big Grin]
Posts: 234 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Throughout my readings in AE history I've not come across a substantiated claim that the Egyptian civilization is of African origin. I've been reading what you would call mainstream Egyptology. Would you mind recommending some books and sites for the African origin supposition. Thx
What have you read from mainstream Egyptology? Give some examples.

I would recommend:

Egypt in Africa by Theodore Celenko[out of print might have to order via inter-library loan]

The Egyptians by Robert Morkot

Egypt of the Pharaohs by Sir Alan Gardnier

Oxford History of Ancient Egypt edited by Ian Shaw

Ancient Egypt in Africa edited by David O'Connor

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotep2u
Member # 9820

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotep2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings:

The Kingdom of Kush: Handbook of the Napatan-Meriotic Civilization (Handbook of Oriental Studies/Handbuch Der Orientalistik) (Hardcover)
by Laszlo Torok (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Kush-Napatan-Meriotic-Civilization-Orientalistik/dp/9004104488

This book is a bit highly priced plus the information is some what biased against Afrikans in that he claims Kemet "Egyptianized" the Kushites. The author takes the so called "scholarly" approach, unfortunately the author dileberately does a POOR job in writing the truth about Kush.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inscription-Queen-Katimala-Semna-Egyptological/dp/0974002534

The Inscription of Queen Katimala at Semna: Textual Evidence for the Origins of the Napatan State (Yale Egyptological Studies) (Paperback)
by J. Coleman Darnell

Reviews

Synopsis
This is the first complete translation and commentary on the important tableau and inscription of Queen Katimala/Karimala at Semna. Proper understanding of the paleography, grammar, and content reveals Katimala to have been a Nubian ruler at the time of the Twenty-First to Twenty-Second Dynasties of Ancient Egypt. She emerges as a political and military leader who took control of at least Lower Nubia in the wake of failed military activities on the part of a male predecessor. Katimala's inscription is not illegible, as has often been stated, but is a well-composed Lower Nubian example of a politico-religious manifesto applying many of the conventions of early Egyptian literary and historical compositions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR AUSAR.

Does this book discuss the alliance that was formed between the Kemenu and Kushites?

It was the Kushites who formed a alliance with Kemet in order to remove the Hyksos does this book go into the details involved between that alliance?

Hotep

--------------------
TruthSeeker

Posts: 477 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, strange. The thread EGYPTIAN AFRICANITY: no new news
(clickable link)
quotes and cites several mainstream references
from the early 1900s. Of course there are more as we approach

Are there any current mainstrean Egyptologists who
posit extra-African origins for Nile Valley civilization?

Can you please supply a short bibliography of
your readings, including dates of publication?

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by katangah:
Throughout my readings in AE history I've not come across a substantiated claim that the Egyptian civilization is of African origin. I've been reading what you would call mainstream Egyptology. Would you mind recommending some books and sites for the African origin supposition. Thx.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I HAVE A QUESTION FOR AUSAR.

Does this book discuss the alliance that was formed between the Kemenu and Kushites?

It was the Kushites who formed a alliance with Kemet in order to remove the Hyksos does this book go into the details involved between that alliance?

The book breifly discusses the Hykos area and the archaeological site in Northern Sudan known as Kerma. The archaeological site of Kerma is usually identified with ancient Kush. The book mentions that some soliders deserted Kerma and joined the ancient Kemetians. You never get many details from the book about the Hykos era.

According to the letter intercepted by Kamose the king of Kush and the Hykos were working together to take over Kmt. What sources do you have that Kushites and Kemites worked together to overthrow the Hykos? The Medijay did work with the Kemites to overthrow the Hykos but not the Kushites.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^As usual is the confusion over the exonym Nubia.

The Egyptians allied themselves with a group of Nubians called the Medjay against both Asiatic Hyksos and another 'Nubian' group-- the Kushites.

Posts: 26356 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com