EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Origin of Circumcision among Arabs and Hebrews

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Origin of Circumcision among Arabs and Hebrews
GambA
Member # 12003

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GambA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did it come from???
Posts: 182 | From: I Forgot | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many men neglect doing the cleaning required. It can be the source of fatal infections and removal of the foreskin has probably arisen independently in various locations.

--------------------
Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Embarrassed] *sigh* Another redundant thread that has been covered several times now.

So I will just repeat myself again:

Circumcision originated in Africa since it is most commonly practiced there among both sexes and seems to have been practiced throughout the African continent from times immemorial. Outside of Africa, the custom is practiced by Semitic speaking peoples of the Near East. However, the Semitic languages as part of the Afrasian language phylum originated in Africa so it can only be taken that the custom entered the Near East with the languages.

Circumcision as it's practiced in the Near East is different from Africa in that boys are circumcised as small children, whereas in Africa both girls and boys are circumcised going into puberty as a rite of passage into adulthood. In Africa, a person is not really an adult-- man or woman until they are circumcised.

The custom seems to be a way of distinguishing the sexes further. The man's foreskin is analogous to the vaginal lips while a woman's clitoris is analogous to the penis etc. It was done to ensure that a male becomes fully male and a female fully female.

Posts: 26356 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To sam P:

Europe and 95% of Asia:China, Japan[the longest living and most disease free people in the world], Hindu India, Korea--all together 3 billion people do not practice circumcision. For whatever reasons note that many African cultures do not practice neither(male nor female) variety. Hence the bogus--bogus because there is no effect on Europe's and Asia's AIDS numbers--claim by some Western AIDS researchers in Africa that male circumcision hinders HIV transmission.

But Djehuti is right in that in Africa north of the Equator circumcision(male and female) is routine.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
[Embarrassed] *sigh* Another redundant thread that has been covered several times now.

So I will just repeat myself again:

Circumcision originated in Africa since it is most commonly practiced there among both sexes and seems to have been practiced throughout the African continent from times immemorial. Outside of Africa, the custom is practiced by Semitic speaking peoples of the Near East. However, the Semitic languages as part of the Afrasian language phylum originated in Africa so it can only be taken that the custom entered the Near East with the languages.

Circumcision as it's practiced in the Near East is different from Africa in that boys are circumcised as small children, whereas in Africa both girls and boys are circumcised going into puberty as a rite of passage into adulthood. In Africa, a person is not really an adult-- man or woman until they are circumcised.

The custom seems to be a way of distinguishing the sexes further. The man's foreskin is analogous to the vaginal lips while a woman's clitoris is analogous to the penis etc. It was done to ensure that a male becomes fully male and a female fully female.

^^^
Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kawashkar
Member # 11828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawashkar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Circumcision = African High Tech

(Another though. Perhaps the administrator will delete this post, too)

KAWASHKAR

--------------------
Olmecs are Amerindians

Posts: 413 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karwash, I suggest you look up the history circumcision, but no doubt your mixed-up mind might not be able to handle it. [Wink]
Posts: 26356 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kawashkar
Member # 11828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawashkar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti. Are you the voodoo priest that makes answers to dissapear? Hocus- Pocus....

Show Djehuti he is wrong and the post (or the whole thread) evaporates ....

[Big Grin]

KAWASHKAR

--------------------
Olmecs are Amerindians

Posts: 413 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kawashkar:

Djehuti. Are you the voodoo priest that makes answers to dissapear? Hocus- Pocus....

Show Djehuti he is wrong and the post (or the whole thread) evaporates ....

[Big Grin]

ROTFL [Big Grin] First of all, only moderators have the power to make threads disappear!

And second, I haven't been shown wrong yet, least of all by YOU!! LMAO [Big Grin]

I asked you to look up the history of circumcision, but I see you have not done it. Of course I can understand that YOU have been shown wrong but are too scared to admit it so...

History of Circumcision

The practice of male genital mutilation is far older than recorded history. Certainly, it is far older than the Biblical account of Abraham (Genesis 17). It seems to have originated in eastern Africa long before this time...

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can hardly believe that circumcision had only
one point of origin. Of course Africa is its
source in the adjacent regions where Afrisan
speakers practice it.

Didn't some Papuans practice circumcision?

Weren't there other Pacific peoples who did it too?

(If only I could access my copy of Briffault's The Mothers)

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^You are correct. Indigenous peoples of the Pacific in parts of New Guinea as well as the Western Desert of Australia also practice circumcision.

But my main point was that circumcision as it is practiced in the West has its religious origins among Semitic speaking populations of the Near East who in turn have their cultural and linguistic origins in Africa.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com