EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » the phaoron mentioned in The Holly Quran

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the phaoron mentioned in The Holly Quran
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in the holly Quran there are verses in Surat Younus

وَجَاوَزْنَا بِبَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ الْبَحْرَ فَأَتْبَعَهُمْ فِرْعَوْنُ وَجُنُودُهُ بَغْياً وَعَدْواً حَتَّى إِذَا أَدْرَكَهُ الْغَرَقُ قَالَ آمَنتُ أَنَّهُ لا إِلِـهَ إِلاَّ الَّذِي آمَنَتْ بِهِ بَنُو إِسْرَائِيلَ وَأَنَاْ مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِينَ
91 آلآنَ وَقَدْ عَصَيْتَ قَبْلُ وَكُنتَ مِنَ الْمُفْسِدِينَ
92 فَالْيَوْمَ نُنَجِّيكَ بِبَدَنِكَ لِتَكُونَ لِمَنْ خَلْفَكَ آيَةً وَإِنَّ كَثِيراً مِّنَ النَّاسِ عَنْ آيَاتِنَا لَغَافِلُونَ

90 We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: "I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who submit (to Allah in Islam)."
91 (It was said to him): "Ah now!- But a little while before, wast thou in rebellion!- and thou didst mischief (and violence)!
92 "This day shall We save thee in the body, that thou mayest be a sign to those who come after thee! but verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!"

The Question Now Is the dead body of that phaorn still present??
and what is the name of that pharon?

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As'Salamu Aleikum Sheikh:

So We seized him and his hosts, and We flung them into the sea: Now behold what was the end of those who did wrong! [Qur'ān 28:40]

So he resolved to remove them from the face of the earth: but We did drown him and all who were with him. [Qur'ān 17:103]

When at length they provoked Us, We exacted retribution from them, and We drowned them all. [Qur'ān 43:55]

It is clear from the above verses that the Pharaoh and his hosts were drowned. But it does not say what happened to the body of the Pharaoh after he was drowned. The verse below explains:

We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: "I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who submit (to Allah in Islam)." (It was said to him): "Ah now!- But a little while before, wast thou in rebellion!- and thou didst mischief (and violence)! "This day shall We save thee in the body, that thou mayest be a sign to those who come after thee! but verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!" [Qur'ān 10:90-92]

that Allah saved the body of the Pharaoh as a sign to those who come after him. The most relevant explanation here would be that the body of the Pharaoh washed ashore and his folks embalmed him.

So, there is no contradiction in the above verses. Rather they clarify fully the fate of the Pharaoh. It is clear for any Arabic speaker that the special mention of "in the body" (i.e. bibadanika) means clearly that it is the lifeless body of Pharaoh that was saved and not Pharaoh himself. This is confirmed by the use of the verb drown (i.e., aghraqa) in the above verses as the drowned are dead (even in English).

The commentaries of the Qur'ān give valuable linguistic openings about verse 10:92

"This day shall We save thee in the body, that thou mayest be a sign to those who come after thee! but verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!"

In order to get a full understanding of what is said in various commentaries we need to transcribe the verse 10:92 in Arabic:

falyawma nunajjīka bibadanika litakūna liman khalfaka 'āyah [...]

In the commentary of Ibn Kathīr, one reads the following:

quote:

Ibn cAbbās and other people from the salaf said that some people among the Children of Israel doubted about the death of Pharaoh. So, God ordered the sea to project his untouched lifeless body bearing his well-known shield on a najwah - a piece of land that juts out - in order that they know for sure that Pharaoh died. This is why He, the Almighty, said "falyawma nunajjīka" meaning "this day shall We raise you on a bulge" and "bibadanika" means "in your body" according to Mujāhid; Al-Hasan said "in a lifeless body" and cAbdullāh Ibn Shadād said "untouched body with no torn limbs so that he could be identified" whereas Abū Sakhr explained it [i.e., bibadanika] as "with your shield". There is no contradictions between these sayings as previously shown and God knows best.

So, according to the commentary of Ibn Kathīr, it is the lifeless body of Pharaoh wearing his shield that was projected on a bulge for everyone to check that he really died. If we stick to the linguistic alternatives highlighted by the commentary, we would translate verse 10:92 as "This day shall We project you with your shield on a bulge in order that you may be a sign to those who come after you" or "This day shall We project your lifeless body on a bulge in order that you may be a sign to those who come after you". If we adopt the common meaning of "nunajjīka", the verse could be rendered: "This day shall We save your lifeless body in order that you may be a sign to those who come after you". Of course, the reader will have noticed that "you" was omitted in the last translation. This is because while it is clear in Arabic that only the lifeless body of Pharaoh was saved, a word by word translation "save you in your body" would be somewhat redundant or misunderstood.

Various accounts with very similar narrations are quoted in the commentaries of al-Qurtubī and at-Tabarī. From the latter, we quote the following:

quote:

Muhammad Ibn Sacd told me: My father told me: My uncle told me that his father reported from his own father who reported that Ibn cAbbās commented on "falyawma nunajjīka bibadanika litakūna liman khalfaka 'āyah" that God saved Pharaoh from the sea for the sake of the Children of Israel so that they looked at him after he was drowned. If one asked why say "bibadanika" and whether it would be possible for Pharaoh to be saved without his body so that one needs to specify "bibadanika". It would be said that Pharaoh could be saved as a body without life/soul meaning lifeless.

Of course, it is worthwhile to check the various meanings of the word "badan" (in bi-badan-ika) in a good dictionary. We looked it up in Lisān al-cArab[3] the famous Arabic lexicon and we found that it means body as well as old deer and shield. Some narrators (e.g. Thaclab) said that it means any shield and others (e.g., Ibn Sīduh) said that it means a small shield more specifically. Typically, the Lisān quotes a hadīth from Imam cAlī(KW) that when he asked Fatimah(RA) for marriage he was asked: "What do you possess?". He answered "farasi wa badani" (i.e. my horse and my shield), badan being a shield made of chains/stitches. Also, in the Lisān, we checked that najwah means a high land that is not covered by the flood so that one could think to be saved on it, synonym najāh and plural nijā'. More interestingly, the Lisān quotes verse 10:92 in both entries (badan and najwah) and quotes additional narratives supporting what is in the Qur'ānic commentaries.

In a nutshell, all the commentaries agree on the fact that it is the lifeless body of Pharaoh that was projected ashore (this is why the verse mentions specifically "bibadanika") for the Children of Israel to identify beyond any doubt that he really died. They could do so thanks to his famous shield or because his lifeless body was not torn after he was drowned.

Read more,
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Contrad/Internal/qi025.html
And The Kings & Pharaohs Of Egypt

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Contrad/External/josephdetail.html

And Allah Knows Best

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL For a second there, I was getting the impression that the Quran somehow stated that the Pharaoh became Muslim!
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
LOL For a second there, I was getting the impression that the Quran somehow stated that the Pharaoh became Muslim!

Djehuti,

Read the article again. Any muslim child knows the Phararoh's last word

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://abuhosam.com/archives/2006/03/05/egypt/#comments

http://abuhosam.com/wp-up/image002.jpg

IS THAT THE PHAORON MENTIONED IN QURAN?

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
People says that this is the body of the phaorn That Allah said he will keep it in the above verse.

What's the name if that in the http://abuhosam.com/wp-up/image002.jpg

does anyone know the history of that in the pic? where did they find that body?

al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sheikh_Eltawheed(oneness of God):
People says that this is the body of the phaorn That Allah said he will keep it in the above verse.

What's the name if that in the http://abuhosam.com/wp-up/image002.jpg

does anyone know the history of that in the pic? where did they find that body?

Glorified Corpse WORSHIPER!
Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
That is a good question, Sheikh, but I don't know the answer. I hope someone from this forum can do a better job.

Ausar, any thought? I heard from someone that body of Pharaoh is in Cairo museum. Is that true?

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bodies of many pharaohs are in the Cairo museum. The particular mummy shown is of Rameses II I believe,and many do place him with the Exodus,but many archaeologist doubt the exodus is a real historical event. Not much textual or archaeological evidence exists for mass enslavement of Hebrews or Israelites in ancinet Egypt.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Thank you Ausar
lovingspirit :)
Member # 11660

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for lovingspirit :)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so you believe that the exodus has not really taken place????? [Eek!]
Posts: 284 | From: gods heaven | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingspirit :)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
next thing they will say holocaust is an act of the imagination too ??

--------------------
Always remembering that we are nothing without His Merciful hand over us.

Posts: 284 | From: gods heaven | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Loving Spirit, I try to be well balanced when weighing such historical events as the Exodus because they are based primarily on grouds of faith. Quite possibly a exodus happened but probably not in the manner which is described in the Torah or Qu'ran. You have to weigh both the evidence from the Torahg,Qu'Ran and that of archaeology;textual evidence or etc.

We have yet to determine going off even the following who exactly the per-aa[pharoah] of the exodus was.

I personally have only the faith given to me from my parents that such an event takes place,but the more I dig into ancient Egyptian history the more I question such an exodus tradition. I am basically undediced and leave such things to be primarily part of faith in one's religion or spirtual pratice.

Member # 11660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingspirit :)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the feedback ausar now its make sense to me what you said.

--------------------
Always remembering that we are nothing without His Merciful hand over us.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com