EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT:Arab Imperialism & its Role in AFrica & Egypt (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT:Arab Imperialism & its Role in AFrica & Egypt
trueblkking
Member # 11936

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblkking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know the mosque is sacred but like the pyramids it is only a man made structure aplace of worship to keep the rain off your head the true mosque is in one's and soul and heart and a muslim can pray in a swamp and it would not matter in alla's eyes, some people hold things so sacred to themselves that it almost becomes a thing of idol worship the one thing that the religion dispises, but as for the the artifacts of egypt putting aside the paganism behind it, people the people of egypt should not be so quick to get rid of it there is a lot of knowledge to be gained from books and scrolls and the very coffins themselves, till this very day civil engineers still do not understan the mathmatics behind the structure of the pyramids they are still trying to understand how they are structured and how they stood the test of time remember knowledge is power and with that you rule the world at least in the minds of men.
Posts: 28 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hikuptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely agree with u bro but thats not how things go when u deal with people in the EAst but sooner or later we will all find out the Truth.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Posts: 526 | From: Aswan Egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblkking
Member # 11936

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblkking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a you can view me on myspace you know what that right type in name(Kala Nemesis)
Posts: 28 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblkking
Member # 11936

Rate Member
just a question not trying to sound funny, but between Hikuptah, Africa and someothers i'm starting to wonder weather you brothas on here have jobs or you are just rich as hell because i know there is like a 12 hour time difference between where we are all located, i meen i go to sleep get up and go to work come home and it is like you people on this egypt search forum don't miss a beat tou guy's are on here like clock work, 24/7 i'm starting to feel like i'm talking to a machine and not people at all. it's like you uy's don't sleep.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But can someone explain how Arab imperialism's result is people like AMR who are obsessed with being "mixed" and denigrate anything 'pure' African?
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably because Amr's situlation [btw who is not here so we should not talk about them behind their backs] is more of a mixture of Western and Arabian imperilism. Arabs tend to also be hostile against ''blackness'' so its a two way imperilism. This can be confusing because there are Gulf Arabs that look like you average African American and even more like Central Africans. I have seen no discrimination towards them comparable to the Western world. Most ''black'' Gulf Arabs live,work and marry with their lighter skinned countrymen with little problem.

Yet a Western Africa that migrates to Saudi would get more discrimination.

Many Sudanese[who would be black in the West] probably measure themselves against the blackest people on the planet like the Dinka, Nuer and Shilluk so they feel they are not really African. Certain chracteristics like hair texture,nasal shape and even color come into account.

The other reason could be just that in the Arab world when your father is an Arab then you automatically are one regardless.

Trueblackking, I don't have a job I sit around collecting crazy checks and live in goverment housing. Very nice life if you ask me.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hikuptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar u put that very nicely about the Sudanese.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Posts: 526 | From: Aswan Egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Africa
Member # 12142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Africa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arabized Africans are in many places: Chad, Cameroon, Kenya, Tanzania...even Arabs from Sudan are darker than many Africans...I mean Nilo Saharans from that part of the world were quite dark(before mixing with the Arabs) compare to the average African. And where this Northern Sudanese came from, they all have the same blood as Southern Sudanese.
plan2replan Copyright © 2006 Africa

Posts: 711 | From: Africa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblkking
Member # 11936

Rate Member
ausar i'm not mad you, hell i'd do it if i could
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Africa dont get AFrican Muslims confused with Arabs there are Muslims in Pakistan Indonesia Malaysia even China but they are not Arabs because they are Muslims. Living like a Muslim is considered living like a Arab.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Africa
Member # 12142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Africa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are African muslim and Arabized African muslims...That's what I mean...They call themselves "Arabs"...what about the Bejas do they have also Arabized people?
plan2replan Copyright © 2006 Africa

Posts: 711 | From: Africa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ababda and Bisharin are partly Arabized Beja.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Africa
Member # 12142

Member Rated:
Thanks Yom
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
The Ababda and Bisharin are not Arabized Beja this is wrong information most of them dont even speak arabic but there native languages Tebadawi.
The Beja like most people of North Africa and Horn of Africa live like bedouins this is not Arabized just because there nomads and ride camels doesnt make them Arabized if u live with the Beja u will see they dont even follow the customs of ARabs or Muslims they have there own customs to call the Bisharin & Ababda as Arabized is an INSULT.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said they're partly Arabized. Many speak Arabic and have mixed with Arabs, as opposed to other "The Ababda" on JSTOR (1923) and others like it from JSTOR.

The Bisharin, though not as arabized, often speak and only Arabic as well.

a 20yr old in 1950 said he spoke no Bishari, his father understood but spoke only Arabic, and his grandfather knew the langauge of his ancestors better than Arabic: pos less, all mud houses, no tents) had lived there for a long time and become assimilated, don’t speak Bedauwye correctly being a drole mixture of Bishari and Arabic; probably mostly Bisharin Hamedor b, Qamhat b =true Bejas, more ancient than the bisharin, except the Shentirab and the Ababda are counted among the Qamhat b, have forgotten their ancestry. Bisharin Qamhat b are believed to be true Bejas, more ancient than the Bisharin, except the Shentirab and the Ababda are counted among the Qamhat b. Qamhat was a great personality, chief of the tribe, but became poor, all the tribe and its members were associated with other tribes.
Source (sorry for the random breaks)

Though plenty are not at all Arabized:

The Ababda are closely related to the Ali b and Hamador b sections of the Bisharin with whom they have intermarried. Like the Bisharin, Nubians and Abyssinians, the Ababda are also given under the general name of Ethopians in some travel literature.

More info, from Al-Ahram:

Though both Ababda and Bisharin originally speak different dialects of a verbal language called To-bedawie, or rather Rotana as it is most commonly known, Ababda have adapted Arabic as their mother tongue while Bisharin still cling to Rotana. Most Bisharins living in Shalateen can communicate in Arabic as well.

Two quick pictures to illustrate that the Bisharin and Ababda have at least partly mixed with Arabs.

Ababda
 -

Bisharin
 -

Note that many (most?) still look like other Horn Africans and have dark skin with curly hair.

Btw, what's with the limits on HTML tags and parentheses?

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the Baggara? Everything I have seen states that they are ARABS, but if you look at their homeland it is ALL in INNER AFRICA. Many of the Janjaweed are said to originate from tribes of the Baggara. Seems to me that indeed many people mistake the ANCIENT nomadic way of life as being a sign of ARABIZATION. Nomadism is nothing but another form of PASTORALISM which EVERYONE knows is INDIGENOUS to Africa. Likewise, there are MANY PURE BLOOD Africans who have ADOPTED pastoralist lifestyles surrounding CAMELS rather than CATTLE. These groups, like the RENDILLE peoples, are related to other pastoralist groups like the Massai. Unfortunately, many people dont understand that the DESERTIFICATION of Northern Africa has FORCED people to ADAPT many traits that seem SIMILAR to the ARABS but are NOT Arabic. For example, the ANCIENT clothing of the Egyptian peasant is seen all over Africa, yet many may mistake it as some form of ARABIZED dress, when it isnt.

But anyway, the information about the Baggara seem quite odd and does not seem to reflect any TRUE Arab identity. Of course, maybe SOME of these ARAB claims trace back to the ANCIENT connections between the cultures of SOUTH Arabia and Sudan, which indeed would be a LOGICAL fact. However, the ANCIENT Southern tribes of Arabia were much more SIMILAR physically to their African brethren, than those tribes most often identified with ARABS today. Unfortunately most modern scholars arent RIGOROUS enough in their research to POINT OUT such subtleties in the histories of these people and places.

quote:

The Baggara or Baqqarah (Arabic: البقارة) are a nomadic Bedouin people inhabiting Africa from between Lake Chad and the Nile, in the states of Sudan (particularly Darfur), Niger, Chad, Cameroon, Nigeria, and the Central African Republic. They are also known as Shuwa Arabs. They are cattle-herders, migrating seasonally between grazing lands in the wet season and river areas in the dry season. They are mostly speakers of the Shuwa dialect of Arabic.

Origins and divisions

Most are Muslims, thought to be partly descendants of Arab tribes who settled the region primarily from the fourteenth to the eighteenth century, descendants of the Juhayna group of Arabs that trace their ancestry to Libya. Those Juhayna who moved south where rainfall was more plentiful, such as south of the Marrah Mountains, took up the herding of cattle and became known as the Baggara, literally "those of the cow" or "cattle people". Their kinspeople who stayed north remained Abbala, "camel-men".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baqqara

And on a related note, while MANY claim that the "Arabs" in Sudan are all BLACK. I would like to point out that there are indeed MANY Arabs in the TRUE sense in Sudan. They are USING the BLACKS as COVER for their actions. From what I can see many of the tribes like those of the Baggara, which include the Habbania, Beni Halba, Rizeigat and Ta’isha are MAINLY black Africans but they have a CASTE system. This caste system means that the FATHER or LEADER of the clan and his IMMEDIATE KIN are most likely TRUE ARABS, who trace their lineages to the Arab invaders, while the REST are just "Arabized" locals. THIS is why there is SO MUCH confusion about the "Arabs" in Sudan. When Arabs enter an area, they KILL the men and RAPE the women, THEREFORE causing ALL the children to adopt the language, culture and IDENTITY of the ARAB FATHER or PATRIARCH. This is a HISTORICAL FACT throghout Africa. Trust me, there are MANY true ARABS in Sudan, but they are keeping a LOW PROFILE until the time is RIGHT. Many of these Arabs come from Libya and Egypt and were GRANTED land by the various Egyptian Sultans who CONTROLLED Sudan and took Sudanese slaves. Also, the British USED many of these "Arabized" groups to FOMENT unrest between "Arabs" and Africans (divide and conquer). This is the REAL root of the struggle in Darfur.

Look here at Saeed Madibo in the center of the page and you will see what I mean:
http://greatparanoiac.wordpress.com/2006/05/01/times-almost-up-in-sudan/

Also look here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meandophelia/with/152983308/

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to whether the Egyptians are Arabs...I suppose they are, since most speak Arabic as their native language, which IIRC is the definition of Arabs. Of course, that would make many of the Sudanese Arabs as well.

"Arab" is not a race.

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
I think we all have corrupted what it means to be Arab and speaking arabic is not one of them.
I am from Egypt my mother tongue is ARabic so then according to what YOm and a Few of u other Brothers wrote i would be considered Arabized as well so would all of the Horn of Africa.

Yom the problem with your information on the Bisharin & Ababda is that i have lived amongst them and i would not consider them Arabs because of there customs and there way of life is not the custom of Arabs the only thing that they do that makes them resemble ARabs is that they speak arabic thats like a Chinese Muslim who only speaks arabic would u consider him to be Arab. What about the Arabs who are half Somalian or Ethiopian would u say they are Africanized or Ethiopianized this ARabized concept is very Weird it doesnt explain any thing and even those pictures u showed of Ababda and Bisharin they are not even 10% Arabs.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

How about the Baggara? Everything I have seen states that they are ARABS, but if you look at their homeland it is ALL in INNER AFRICA. Many of the Janjaweed are said to originate from tribes of the Baggara. Seems to me that indeed many people mistake the ANCIENT nomadic way of life as being a sign of ARABIZATION. Nomadism is nothing but another form of PASTORALISM which EVERYONE knows is INDIGENOUS to Africa. Likewise, there are MANY PURE BLOOD Africans who have ADOPTED pastoralist lifestyles surrounding CAMELS rather than CATTLE. These groups, like the RENDILLE peoples, are related to other pastoralist groups like the Massai. Unfortunately, many people dont understand that the DESERTIFICATION of Northern Africa has FORCED people to ADAPT many traits that seem SIMILAR to the ARABS but are NOT Arabic. For example, the ANCIENT clothing of the Egyptian peasant is seen all over Africa, yet many may mistake it as some form of ARABIZED dress, when it isnt.

But anyway, the information about the Baggara seem quite odd and does not seem to reflect any TRUE Arab identity. Of course, maybe SOME of these ARAB claims trace back to the ANCIENT connections between the cultures of SOUTH Arabia and Sudan, which indeed would be a LOGICAL fact. However, the ANCIENT Southern tribes of Arabia were much more SIMILAR physically to their African brethren, than those tribes most often identified with ARABS today. Unfortunately most modern scholars arent RIGOROUS enough in their research to POINT OUT such subtleties in the histories of these people and places.

LOL Doug, it has been explained numerous times on this board mainly by Ausar that the Baggara are actually Nilotic tribes that have been Arabized.

In fact, we had an African who posted here who is well acquainted with the area in which the Janjaweed and Baggara live and he even created a thread on the subject here.

quote:
Originally posted by Underpants Man:

..."Arab" is not a race.

[Embarrassed] Well, try telling that to the 'Arab' Sudanese who claim to be a different 'race' from the peoples they rape and slaughter!
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
The REal Reason why Africans From Sudan who are Muslim claim to Be ARab is because they all want to be related to Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him even my Uncle does the same thing he claims he is related to prophet Muhammed but really its false he has no link to prophet Muhammed this is what even Muslims in Pakistan and Indonesia do they create a false geneology inorder to be related to Prophet Muhammed i donk know why none of the muslims in this forum never bring this up.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Israel:
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis:
quote:
Israel wrote:
Hence, East Africa has some deep issues. West Africans were different because their form of Islam was different, more "Africanized" because the desert , I suppose, was a buffer zone. Therefore, the Africans developed Islam in their own way, and the slave trade with the Arabs wasn't as devastating as on the East Coast of Africa.

How different? How did Islam in West Africa differ from the rest of Islam the rest of Muslims believed in? And are you seriously trying to tell me that west african slave trade didnt have as much impact on modern life than East African? East African former slaves same as European former slaves of are completly integrated in the middle East, but i can't say the same about West Africans in the new world. We should talk about it rather than "arab" (rather berber) slave trade in that region, in comparison to East Africa as you claim disastrous.

quote:
I am not against your ancestry, but these guys were pretending like they weren't African. They were kinda perhaping pretending that they weren't even Black!
aaah bullshit, how do you define acting "black"? They know they are Africans , most people from zanzibar have Persian ancestry and there is nothing wrong to acknowledge that, but i doubt any people from zanzibar have ever denied they were from africa, this is just onother case of Americans trying to lecture how a "black" should behave.

Yonis,

what the HELL is your problem? I have noticed that you most definitely have a problem. I don't know what it is, but maybe you got a little soul searching to do. First and foremost, you can read Edward Blyden's book called "Christianity, Islam, and the Negro Race"(something like that). He was from the Americas, went to West Africa, and conversed with alot of West African Muslims. He is the one who claimed that Islam in West Africa was "Africanized". So read the book, do a little research, and only then will you be qualified to discuss this with me.......

Concerning the slave trade, I WAS NOT SPEAKING OF THE ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE! I was speaking of the Saharan slave trade. I already stated that there was an impact upon West Africa concerning slavery, but I said that it was not as bad as the East African slave trade, got it? I am talking about the Arabian trade in slaves, NOT THE EUROPEAN TRADE, UNDERSTAND? East Africa was much more accessible to the Arabs and Persians than West Africa. And in West Africa, Black rulers governed the "Berbers" many times throughout West African history. Read Sheikh Anta Diop's book, "Precolonial Black Africa": he speaks on it. I can't say the same thing for East Africa(and when I say East Africa, I am speaking specifically about the Swahili Coast). Many times, the Swahili rulers were half-black, half-arab. Therefore, the cultural implications and circumstances concerning their rule was different. I remembering reading specifically in Ibn Battuta's account of West Africa that in Mali one of the local governors(or whatever) despised "white men(i.e. the Berbers and Arabs)" and had nothing but contempt for them. Is there a similar situation in Swahilian history? There might be, but I don't know. Perhaps you can tell me Yonis! Therefore, since you don't know(I admit at this point that I am assuming that you don't know, but perhaps you can prove me wrong.....), don't cast off my thesis as though I don't know what I am talking about!.........

Concerning the Swahilian "ancestry", like I said before, WATCH BILL GATES'S DOCUMENTARY, "THE WONDERS OF THE AFRICAN WORLD"(I think that is the name of it.........go to your local library and watch it!). Once you have watched the documentary, THEN you can tell me that what I said is b.s. But until you watch it, I don't care what you think about anything! Watch it! Then you will see how some of the "half-castes" try to distinguish themselves from the rest of the people. The shame that people feel concerning the fact that they were formerly enslaved............SO BEFORE YOU CUSS ME OUT, WATCH THE FILM HOMEBOY! THEN, AND ONLY THEN, do you have a right to speak your opinion to me! I saw what I saw. ANYBODY WHO SAW IT CANNOT NOT SIMPLY PASS OVER WHAT WAS SAID...........

In case that isn't enough, read V.S. Naipual's account of his journey to Africa. Off the coast of Kenya, there was a kid that told him, "'THese people are mad at us. They say that we stole Black Men, and took them to the sea to be sold as slaves.' I looked at this kid, with dark brown skin and curly hair, and I realized that here, being Arab was not based on skin color: it is simply a state of mind."

There you have it Yonis. Review the information I have provided before you tell me that it is bull---t. Salaam

No reply Yonis?
Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
up.

No reply Yonis? I thought so......

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com