EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: Lord of the Rings [Africa in European Mythmaking] (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: OT: Lord of the Rings [Africa in European Mythmaking]
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As another example of this African element, look at the story of Freya and Brisingamen and see if you cannot identify the African element. Look at Freya's costume. The whole imagery of a norse or ancient European goddess in a lavish boat going through a lush lilly pond with lanterns is heavily influenced by Africa and the lush watery imagery seen in ancient Egypt.

Another legend and myth often associated with Europe is the dragon. But yet that too has an African origin:

quote:

The king's prayer: "Ho crown of Lower Egypt! Ho red-crown! Ho Great Crown! Ho Crown great of magic! Ho Fiery Serpent! Grant that the dread of me be like the dread of you; grant that the fear of me be like the fear of you; grant that the acclaim of me be like the acclaim of you; grant that the love of me be like the love of you! Set by aba-scepter at the head of the living, set my sm-scepter at the head of the spirits, and grant that my sword prevail over my foes. Ho red-crown! If you have gone forth from me, so have I gone forth from you."

Reply by the crown: "If Ikhet the Great has borne you, Ikhet the Serpent has adorned you; if Ikhet the Serpent has borne you, Ikhet the Great has adorned you, because you are Horus encircled with the protection of his Eye."

From: http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/pyramidtext.htm

http://www.egyptianmyths.net/brazier.htm

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Doug, I think you are off your African center on this one. Exactly how are all those elements you pointed out 'African', when they are rooted in ancient indigenous European beliefs?? How is this is so when some of those elements are found in ancient Asian beliefs also??

It seems you are just pointing out universal human mythological traits.

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dragon is indeed a seemingly universal feature of many cultures. However, what I was saying is that a lot of modern mythic fantasy and science fiction has an African element. The point being that African legends and tales have influenced many European tales and many people are not aware of it. I am not saying that all or most European myths originated in Africa, just that some have some elements that may be African influenced.

The point about dragons is that some of the oldest references to fire breathing serpents are in Africa, but most people do not associate Africa with such legends of fire breathing serpents. And indeed many histories of the dragon myth omit the important and powerful images of serpents from ancient Egypt, of which there are many.

As for Freya, the story of her necklace being a powerful symbol of her "charms" brings to mind the image of the Menat necklace and Hathor. While this may not be a direct influence on the Norse legend, it is important to understand that such legends existed in Africa long before Europe, because many people don't associate Africa with such mythic legends, of dragons, of kings, of beautiful goddesses or castles. But such imagery is seen in some of the earliest cultures IN AFRICA.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A necklace? For crying out loud. Didn't even the
Neanderthals make and wear necklaces, so, the
Egyptian necklace harks back to non-HSS culture?
Hoo-hah.

This reminds of something I read long long ago
about how the pea-shooter was the forerunner of
the gun and thus the gun is attributed to those
peoples who made and used blowguns.

Something's missing. All the pieces ain't here.

Scandinavian myth owes very little if anything to
Egypt. Egyptian civilization was all over before
the Norse even had a mythology.

Africa is great on its own without trying to lay
every general human invention of mode of thought
at the door of "ripped off from Africa(ns)."

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ My point exactly. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Considering that I did not say that a necklace WAS an import from Africa, I would say that you are missing the point. What I am saying is that many legends and myths have patterns that are also found in Africa, whether they are directly influenced by Africa or not. The point being that the Euro Myth making mindset has made many believe in a far ancient mythic European history that does not actually exist, whereas the TRUE history of Africa and elsewhere that DOES have mythic figures and legends from a far distant past is forgotten. Do not forget that the purpose of legend and myth is to say something about a person or people through mythology and the mythology of Europe as larger than life heroes of a distant golden age, plays large on the minds of the young.

Anyway, I just thought that the story of Freya's necklace sounded very familiar to the story of Hathor's menat necklace:

Freyja's necklace:
quote:

n Norse mythology, Brísingamen (brisinga flaming, glowing; men jewellry, ornament) is the necklace of the goddess Freyja (or Frigg in some mythological writings). It is believed that when she wore it no man or god could withstand her charms, which was obviously a matter of great concern to the other goddesses during springtime when she reputedly wore it. The necklace also gave support to any army which she favoured on the battlefield.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/menit.htm

http://www.egyptartsite.com/symlst.html

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Yeah, and the goddess's necklace story sounds alot like that of Amaterasu, the Japanese sun goddess as well as a Chinese deity.

Again, you're off Africa here.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not missing nothing.

Africa is not Europe.
I can't stand anymore of this:
"See, Africa has what Europe has"
roorag.
Always nothing said about Africa unless
you put Europe or "de y man" in there somewhere.

Africa has no penis envy of Europe
Learn to see Africa through African eyes
and stop making Europe some kind yardmark
that Africa must match mirror image like.

Shoo what're we going to read next?
That Tinkerbell was ripped off from Africa?

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nuary32
Member # 10191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nuary32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard Crawshaw, a trustee for the Tolkien Society, said: "There was definitely no racial intent in his work. He detested racism."

^ What do you guys think of that statement? An utter lie(make note of the last sentence...)?

Posts: 214 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nur23_you55ouf:
Richard Crawshaw, a trustee for the Tolkien Society, said: "There was definitely no racial intent in his work. He detested racism."

^ What do you guys think of that statement? An utter lie(make note of the last sentence...)?

It's and attempt to avoid the racism in Tolkien's narrative - which is obvious and relevant, by baiting a discussion of Tolkien's *intent* which is unknowable and irrelevant.

Hitler intended to save Europe. He said so himself.

Can you prove that this was not his intent?

Why would you try, unless you are a sucker easily led off-point. [by action, Hitler murdered millions, regardless of "intent"]

The action of and artist is in his work -

Lord of the Rings is a racist narrative.

ie -> "there came from out of Far Harad Black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues." - Tolkien.

This is true regardless of what is professed, often disingenuously about *intent*, by the artist himself or by anyone else.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Yeah, and the goddess's necklace story sounds alot like that of Amaterasu, the Japanese sun goddess as well as a Chinese deity.

Again, you're off Africa here.

No I am not. As I said, there is a similarity. Such similarity in this case does not necessarily reflect influence, but in other cases it may.

And again, it is important for people to see that such legends and myths are not exclusive to Europe and that in many cases the African variety is far older.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
I'm not missing nothing.

Africa is not Europe.
roorag.

Since you mention it, Aesop is said to have been an Ethiopian or African by many sources. So, no it isn't about Africa having penis envy, because there is no contest. African traditions in legends, myths and folklore need no comparison.

But talk to the children and ask them about African folklore and legends about dragons, kings and queens. See if you don't get a blank stare. In fact, see if they don't tell you you are absurdly wrong. The average child of Africa has no idea of the rich tradition of African legends and folklore that is as rich and OLDER than those of Europe. And this is for a reason. Folklore and legend reinforces the ideas and stereotypes of the people they are designed for. As an example, since we are discussing modern fantasy, look at the "lost world" genre, which reflects Europe's insistence of itself as the center of the universe and everything else being "lost" until they discover it:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_World_%28genre%29

But yes, saying that all these elements of European legends and myths that have similarities to African legends reflect African influence is somewhat an overstatement.

However, Europeans tend to think of themselves as the originators and creators of fantasy, which reflects the same sort of cultural arrogance that is seen in many other aspects of European culture. The fact being that African traditions in these areas are far older and very influential in many ways. THAT is more or less what I am trying to get at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_fantasy

And while I am on it, how many of you all knew that the earliest cartoon characters of Warner and Disney were depictions of blacks?

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Felix the Cat, Bosco and Mickey Mouse are all stylized blackface characters who carried on minstrel type antics in animation. All of them, especially Fritz the Cat, were influenced by the Krazy Kat comic strip, which wasn't a black face character, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krazy_Kat

quote:

n his book, Of Mice and Magic, Leonard Maltin states that this early version of Bosko "was in fact a cartoonized version of a young black boy... he spoke in a Southern Negro dialect... in subsequent films this characterization was eschewed, or perhaps forgotten. This could be called sloppiness on the part of Harman and Ising, but it also indicates the uncertain nature of the character itself." [5]
Although Harman and Ising based Bosko's looks on Felix the Cat, Bosko, like Mickey, got his personality from the blackface characters of the minstrel and vaudeville shows popular in the 1930s. Whereas Disney masked Mickey by making him a mouse, Harman and Ising made Bosko a genuine black boy.

Keeping with the stereotypes of the minstrel shows, Bosko is a natural at singing, dancing, and playing any instrument he encounters. In fact, Bosko has the ability to play virtually anything as an instrument, be it a wooden bridge-turned-xylophone or a Dachshund-turned-accordion. In early cartoons, Bosko (voiced by Carmen Maxwell) even speaks in an exaggerated version of black speech (later cartoons would give him a falsetto voice). Despite the parallels between Bosko and the blackface performers, Ising in later years would deny that the character was ever supposed to be a black caricature.

Bosko:
 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2VLxjd3rA

And, of course, Bugs Bunny is heavily influenced by the African trickster tradition.

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit:

http://www.toonopedia.com/oswald.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9LmDpMO2k0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EQ90poN2k&feature=related

Real black face actor: Al Jolson (white gloves and all):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X04Tmtq6hw0&feature=related

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I'm not going to talk to children.
I'm going to talk to you.
Where was your keyboard during the Gassire's Lute postings?
Did you contribute anything to threads exploring "the Big Snake" mythos? -- clickable link
Post some African folklore and maybe people will begin to learn it.
Whining over the general EuroAmerican culture doesn't promote African folklore.
Tell us about some dragons, since you think it so important that "Africa has dragons just like Europe does."
You can only promote African culture by positively being part of it not by tearing down EuroAmerica.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

But talk to the children and ask them about African folklore and legends about dragons, kings and queens.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
I am promoting African folklore and traditions. The best way to promote African folklore and traditions is for people to create stories that reflect this tradition in movies, books and film. Unfortunately I am no writer or movie maker.

The point of the thread was the subtle or not so subtle racism in European myth, which means the stories themselves and the overall genre.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
We know what the subject header is.
I don't see where you contributed
an ounce of any African mythos to
this thread, not one story. Nor
did you show anything concretely
exclusively African in any Euro
mythos.

The best way to promote African
folklore and traditions is to
proliferate them, i.e., tell
some African stories to people.
Until and unless they hear the
stories repetitively and know
them by heart they'll never
enter your precious white media.

Instead you'll keep getting Santa
Claus in blackface and nonesuch
like an animal lion king instead
of Sundjata the real Lion King.

Nuary32
Member # 10191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nuary32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hitler intended to save Europe. He said so himself.

Can you prove that this was not his intent?

Why would you try, unless you are a sucker easily led off-point. [by action, Hitler murdered millions, regardless of "intent"]

Can tolkien really write a racist narrative without intending to make it racist(hypothetically assuming that he didn't intend to do so)? Intention is surely relevant, and the case seems to be that the guy was either falsely proclaimed by his trustee as a person who "detested racism", or someone who shouldn't be held accountable for work that is negatively perceived. I'm probably inclinded to believe the former, but the latter isn't completely out of the picture.

Hitler intended to save Eurpoe, but he also intended to do so by all means according to his views(Hitler didn't want to save europe in the implied sense anyway). His extreme actions were basically manifested via extreme intent to saving europe through genocide. He already knew that it may potentially take mass killings to carry out the aforementioned.

quote:
ie -> "there came from out of Far Harad Black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues." - Tolkien.
I can see how it may be perceived as racist, but I wouldn't be surprised if it escaped the eyes of many. A reccurrent theme in several literary works is good vs. evil (light and dark) which can possibly be rationalized by readers when they read of "black" characters.

quote:
This is true regardless of what is professed, often disingenuously about *intent*, by the artist himself or by anyone else.
Yes, and his narrative may even be a means of venting out his closet racism and xenophobia.(but that would of course require intent, making it all too relevant). Indeed his true colors as well would be shown in his works IF this is true.
Posts: 214 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
What difference does it make whether I intend
to crush ants under my foot as I trod along?
The little buggers get the bad end either way.

Even the best intentions cobblestone Hell's path.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

No I am not. As I said, there is a similarity. Such similarity in this case does not necessarily reflect influence, but in other cases it may.

And again, it is important for people to see that such legends and myths are not exclusive to Europe and that in many cases the African variety is far older.

^ So why even bring such similarities up unless you want to convey a human universal commonlity?
quote:

I'm not missing nothing.

Africa is not Europe.
roorag.

Exactly! That is one main line where I disagree with Doug is his quest to validate Africa through comparison with Europe, as if Europe is the standard to all regional cultures!

Thus we get nonsense like this past post...

quote:

And how about some symbolism:

This:
 -

and this:

-

I don't know if it's more hilarious or pathetic.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

^ So why even bring such similarities up unless you want to convey a human universal commonlity?
quote:

I'm not missing nothing.

Africa is not Europe.
roorag.

Exactly! That is one main line where I disagree with Doug is his quest to validate Africa through comparison with Europe, as if Europe is the standard to all regional cultures!

The point that I am making here is that European myths and legends were designed in reinforcing a world view and if that world view meant that blacks and everyone else NON EUROPEAN were savage, evil and ignorant, then the myths would reflect this. The REALITY is that Europe was HEAVILY influenced by the SAME PEOPLE that they chose to demonize and it was these SAVAGES and DEMONS that GAVE Europe some of its finest elements of culture, not the other way around. The point of showing the similarities is to show that there was influence. The iconography and style of the norse gods reminds me of people and traditions to the EAST, namely in Asia Minor and the Fertile Crescent. In fact, there are many scholars, linguists and historians who have made the point that the legends of the Aesir (norse gods) are relfective of the Kurgan Hypothesis, which describes the introduction of IndoEuropean culture and language into the Mediteranean and Europe. One sign of this is the ascendence of Patriarchal male dieties (Thor, Zeus) over older Matriarchal dieties (Cybele,Gaia,Hathor,Isis). It is in these older goddesses like Cybele and Isis that you see the origins of Freya in form, dress and symbolism. Likewise, the fact that Egyptian temples for thousands of years represented female dieties in all sorts of very elaborate dress also had a profound influence on this tradition. The facts and evidence are there and abundant showing the relationships between these cultures and the flow of such traditions. The point is that I wasn't really trying to go that deep into it.

But as I said, the relatively modern European myths aren't about telling the TRUE history of Europe and the spread of European culture, but they are about making Europeans larger than life and reflecting a general world view that was widespread at the time (Europe as the ORIGINATOR of high culture from an ancient "golden" age, as opposed to the recipient of culture from an ancient golden age OUTSIDE of Europe). Mordor from Lord of the Rings is in many was a reflection of the dark Islamic minions, the Moors, who were always a symbol of savagery and evil in Christianized European propaganda.

quote:

Thus we get nonsense like this past post...

quote:

And how about some symbolism:

This:
 -

and this:

-

I don't know if it's more hilarious or pathetic.
As for the last post, once you understand history as putting people, places and things together in context, what I said would make sense. This painting is not an ACTUAL picture of George Washington as he crossed the Delaware. It is purely political and designed to show the future president as strong, courageous and LEADING the charge for "freedom". Such symbolism of state and politics is ancient and is not "universal" as such artwork did not enter Europe until LATE. The origins of such artwork go back to Africa, Mesopotamia and further East. But this connection between older cultures and traditions of political/religious symbolism are not ABSTRACT in terms of the early American state. During the period of the late 1800s, the result of Napoleon's expeditions to the East had created a culture of Egyptomania among European aristocrats. This Egyptomania had a strong influence on the early founders of the American State. THAT is why so much of the symbolism of the country stems from the East, because interest IN THE EAST was all the craze in European elite circles at the time and the basis for expeditions to uncover more of the past in Africa and Asia. So, the idea that George Washington crossing the Delaware is a reflection of ancient traditions going back to the images of kings and officials in ancient Egypt is not far fetched at all. In fact, the painting was not even painted in AMERICA and it was painted almost 100 years after the events it described IN GERMANY. The overall composition is symbolic and not literal. Again, originally I just was making a general point and did not want to go deep into it. But anyway.

//links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-7359%28197511%297%3A2%3C70%3A%22CTDTP%3E2.0.CO%3B2-W&size=LARGE&origin=JSTOR-enlargePage

quote:

With the possible exceptions of DaVincis' Mona Lisa and Last Supper, this is perhaps the most universally recognized image in the entire history of art.

It is also an image that historians love to hate.

Painted in Dusseldorf, Germany around 1851, the artist had lived in America as a boy, and after going back to Germany, had returned to America many times (years later he would emigrate here). While here, he visited the Smithsonian and examined Washingtons uniform and sword, and carefully studied paintings and sculpture of the Great General which were done in Washingtons lifetime. Yet, despite this intensive research into historical accuracies, Leutze then let his artistic license run wild. Perhaps that is why this painting is usually classified in the "Romantic" school of art.

The actual crossing was done in the dead of night, during a driving snowstorm, and was completed by three a. m. Leutze indulged in symbolism showing Washington leading his men out of a stormy darkness into a new dawn of freedom. Indeed, although you can't make it out in our electronic image, in the original, in the sky directly above the foremost oarsman, Leutze painted in the morning star, invoking the legend of the wise ones following the star at Christmas.

Two future Presidents of the United States crossed the river that fateful night, James Madison and James Monroe. Also along with the army were a future Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, John Marshall, and famous rivals Aarron Burr and Alexander Hamilton.

Besides Washington, only two of the figures in the boat have been identified. Look closely at the fellow holding the flag, and you'll see James Monroe. He was quartered in the house where Washington made the decision to cross, and served as a scout and trusted adviser to the General, but there's nothing in the historical records to indicate he crossed in the same boat. Note the so-called "Betsy Ross" flag, with the stars in a circle. This design first came into existence some six months after the crossing.

The other recognizable figure, pulling on an oar at Washingtons knee, is Prince Whipple, a black patriot who has become a minor legend of the Revolution. As an early biographer said of him: "Prince Whipple was born in Amabou, Africa, of comparatively wealthy parents. When about ten years of age, he was sent by them, in company with a cousin, to America to be educated. An elder brother had returned four years before, and his parents were anxious that their child should receive the same benefits. The captain who brought the two boys over proved a treacherous villain, and carried them to Baltimore, where he exposed them for sale, and they were both purchased by Portsmouth men, Prince falling to Gen. Whipple. He was emancipated during the [Revolutionary] war, was much esteemed, and was once entrusted by the General with a large sum of money to carry from Salem to Portsmouth. He was attacked on the road, near Newburyport, by two ruffians; one was struck with a loaded whip, the other he shot...Prince was beloved by all who knew him. He was the "Caleb Quotom" of Portsmouth. where he died at the age of thirty-two leaving a widow and children."

But, while many black soldiers served in Glovers Marblehead Regiment, the unit that ferried the army across the river, Prince Whipple wasn't one of them. In fact, in December of 1776 he was in Baltimore.

Of course, few of the soldiers who crossed the river that horrible night to fight what was to be one of the few battles that can be said to have changed the course of the history of the entire world were as fortunate as Monroe or Madison. Major James Wilkinson, who was on his way to join Washington, found his route easy to follow: "There was a little snow on the ground, which was tinged here and there with blood from the feet of the men who wore broken shoes." Primary documents differ about Patriot casualties, but even the most pessimistic reflect that the only American dead after the battle were two soldiers who froze to death.

None of that means you have to agree with me, but I don't generally pull stuff out of thin air either.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Yeah, the artist needed the Egyptian harpooning
scene
-- had it even been uncovered in his day? -- because
he so lacked the imagination to paint a picture of an
actual event, Washington crossing the Delaware.

Pul-leez.

Are there Black Americans that beaten down that they
must imagine every accomplishment of their former
enslavers as a ripoff from Africa just because they
themselves were ripped off of Africa?

No, I don't get it and I don't want to get it.

My history culture and heritage stands quite well
on its own and I don't need Eurpean, Asian, or any
other contnent as a foil to validate it.

I'm sad to admit it but yes there does seem to be
some self esteem issues involved with some Black
American views of Africana. Such a pity, it's not
humorous in the least. In fact it's sad, very sad.

There's no connection between Freja wearing a necklace
in a boat on a pond and Nile river or marsh boating
fowling and harpooning scenes and Hathor's necklace. There
are ponds and marshes and rivers and boats all over
the world. Love goddesses with necklaces or other sexy
stuff are all over the world and far precede AE in time.

There is no connection between the fire breathing dragon
of European lore and the great serpent (not dragon) Ikhet.
Their functions are nothing alike in the least nor had Euros
any idea of Ikhet because they knew
not AE literature or mythology or spirituality in that era.

There is utterly and absolutely no connection whatsoever
between the painting of Washington's crossing, for he did
indeed cross the Delaware in a boat, and any AE boating
pictures or ancient Sudanese engravings of pharaohs in royal/war barges.

Every people on earth, their "myths and legends
were designed in reinforcing a world view," that
of their own. Nothing special or sinister about
johnny-come-lately Europe doing that too.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
This statement is more on the money though I'm not
sure Moors always symbolized savagery as much as
they did evil.

You only have to elide the r and d from Mordor to
get Moor which immediately invokes dar al~Islam.

quote:
Mordor from Lord of the Rings is in many was a reflection of the dark Islamic minions, the Moors, who were always a symbol of savagery and evil in Christianized European propaganda.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
I never said that the painting DEFINITELY was the result of influence in the mind of the painter from Egyptian scenes. However, the IDEA that American symbolism was influenced by Egypt in its early days is a fact that any historian will testify to. The only reason I posted it is because they looked so similar that it peaked my interest. I doubt that you would be able to find any evidence of any connection, even though publications of Egyptian art were available in the early 1800s.

quote:

Like Europeans, most Americans today take for granted the Egyptian symbols and forms that are part of their own cultural and historical baggage. The Washington Monument is, after all, a classic obelisk as Egyptian in design - and even in purpose - as the "Cleopatra's needles" found in New York's Central Park, on the banks of the Thames in London or in Rome.

Then too, half the Great Seal of the Republic is decidedly Egyptian. Look at the back of a dollar bill: to the right is the familiar eagle gripping a banner reading: E Pluribus, Unum - "Out of Many, One." But on the other side? On the other side is a pyramid surmounted by a human eye, over the legend, Novus Ordo Sedorum (sic) - roughly, "The New Order of the Ages."

As they saw it, Americans were creating a new order, and that meant establishing a bit of instant credibility through association with an old one. "With a newly won national identity," says Carrott, "Americans sought to achieve an ancient past for their land."

In this, Americans weren't too different from the Romans who dreamed up Romulus and Remus, and a wolf to suckle them, as founders of the state, later improving upon that by crediting Aeneas with the job. Aeneas, the Roman story went, came from Troy - every bit as ancient and as refined a place as the Greek city states that Rome was busily conquering.

Some American myth-makers found their Aeneas among Egyptian seafarers, who, they suggested, visited the shores of America, and left colonies long before Columbus or the Vikings. Robert Cary Long Jr., for example, an expert on Mayan ruins, believed the builders of pyramidal temples in Central America journeyed there from Egypt before the time of Cheops and the Great Pyramids at Giza. North America, of course, could boast no such ruins, but early Americans claimed a similar heritage anyway. "After all," says Professor Herb Kraft of Seton Hall University's Archeological Research Center on the North American Indians, "there are still... strange mounds, many of them pyramidal in shape, that dot the landscape in states like Ohio."

From: http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/198201/the.egyptian.revival.htm

The fact is that symbolism of state is very influential in the politics of Europe and America and a lot of that symbolism comes from the ancient world of the Mediterranean and Africa. It is also well known to most art historians that European portrait art is sometimes heavily embellished with symbolic compositions, forms and gestures, whether the average person knows it or not.

rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This statement is more on the money though I'm not
sure Moors always symbolized savagery as much as
they did evil.

You only have to elide the r and d from Mordor to
get Moor which immediately invokes dar al~Islam.

quote:
Mordor from Lord of the Rings is in many was a reflection of the dark Islamic minions, the Moors, who were always a symbol of savagery and evil in Christianized European propaganda.

Tolkien's wordplay was anything but sutble.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ LOL Why can't Tolkien just be an imaginative fellow who used Norse mythology, and not one who did so but also input his modern political/racial notions. [Big Grin]
TempAussie
Member # 23633

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for TempAussie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... In all reality all the tales of the elves ACTUALLY are reflections on ancient cultures of Africa, Asia and elsewhere, who DID worship nature. The dwarves refer back to the ancient anu and Twa of Africa and elsewhere. The hobbits are the small people that some scientists say existed in places as far away as Australia. ...

... However, what this FANTASY story does reflect is a FANATICAL desire among Western Europeans to put THEMSELVES on top of everyone else as a way of GETTING BACK at everyone else for being the LAST to become "civilized". ...

... NONE of it is REAL, but the IDEA is what counts, which states that Europeans are must become the Kings of Kings on the world stage and return power and glory to Europe, regardless of whether ancient Europe was the HOME of civilization or not, basically WHITE supremacy 101. ...

... Actually, to the reality is that the Myths reflect a way of Europeans trying to deny the fact that the TRUTH of history was that Western Europe was on the RECIEVING end of culture and CIVLIZATION and that they were BACKWARDS compared to their neighbors in the South and East. Their embarrassment at this state of BACKWARDNESS compared to Rome, Greece, Africa(Egypt, Sudan, ets) and ultimately the golden age Islamic empires of the Moors and later the Ottomans, is what sparked their desire to become "masters" of the world, based on a FANATICAL claim of racial purity (which never existed in fact). ...

... But I am claiming that much of Europe's claim to greatness is based on a whole BOATLOAD of B.S. that is NOT based on any historical fact and that Western Europe was the LAST to become civilized among men, not the FIRST. ...

... ALL of it has its origins in the MYTHOLOGY of Western Europe being the ORIGIN of civilization and culture, when it WAS NOT.

=============

Wow - where to start?

"In all reality all the tales of the elves ACTUALLY are reflections on ancient cultures of Africa, Asia and elsewhere, who DID worship nature."

Sorry mate, but you can't deny ANYone's worship of nature, just as much as catholics and neo-christian-romans WANTing for the whitewashing of indegenous culture of Western and Northern Europe to be forgotten in an imagined christian future, WOULD HAVE YOU BELIEVE, that nothing respectful of nature existed beforehand, only brutality, or cthonic madness, etc.

your use of "DID" in capitals, suggests you're just as racist in suggesting that nature was-not worshipped there. It did, and those that can proudly say-no to christianity/islam/judaism, STILL do so, even if having to do so while having to tell americans to stop blurring the lines when it comes to what's-religion and what's-ethinicity, with their own racist carelessnesss with what's-semitic and what's-jewish, etc.

It's important to be more EXACT in who you're talking about. "the west" , or "europeans" , is pretty vague.

---

"The dwarves refer back to the ancient anu and Twa of Africa and elsewhere."

Tolkein clearly states they were created FROM THE EARTH, and both resistent to (magic(sic)) as well as not being skilled in it, while skilled in crafts - there may well be similarities between mytholigical / folklore characters FROM the cultures you're mentioning, but that makes it a cultural IMITATION, not a "reference". And FYI, there are similar mysterious god/s-gifts myths about dwarves in cultures in europe too - underworld, cauldron-born, horse-born, sea-born, moon-borne, etc - generally folklore/mythical stuff - often with a, 'mixture of blessings' (some abilities/familiarities better than usual, in fatalistic 'exchange', for deficiencies). Those INCLUDE dwarves, so where's your proof?

---

"The hobbits are the small people that some scientists say existed in places as far away as Australia."

wwwwhat?
which "scientists"
took that from a google search, did you?

the hopeless, just-after-readers JOURNALISTS and REPORTERS, that cut&paste the momentary-comment, affectionate-descriptor used by the archaeoligcal anthropologist over in that island in indo near Aus, is only that - reporters and journos, TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION - in archaeology, there are MANY examples of small genetic dead-ends, AND temporary SOURCE points for genetics, of human genes where a population ADJUSTED to living in cramped conditions - caves, jungle floors, old-water-carved cavern-systems, etc - you wouldn't think Afghans would have SQUAT genes in them, would you? well there you go - it's hidden in EVERYONE.

BACK TO THE TOPIC ... hobbits, in terms of his creative process, were a migratory MIX of dwarven and elven blood via humans in the middle that LIVED IN BARROWS,.. part-UNDERGROUND dwellings, which OVER TIME, long-since the days of their xenophobia of each other in the 1st rendering of the earth or whatever, in Belieriand,.. ended up using their dwarven ... mmm ... instinct, desire, skill, whatever, in a kind of BALANCE, in hills, rather than DEEPLY underground.

They were a plot-contrievance in being-NEITHER elven NOR dwarvern, but with a mix of BOTH, so as to be confusing / surprising TO Sauron - as in, they're meant to be FAVORED, by huamns, since they are LESS-predictable than both elves and dwarves.

Frodo's resistence to the ring, is meant to be at least partly from that sort of mixture, as-was Sam's ability to hand-back the ring when they're so-close to the ring of fire, and the ring tries to get a grip on his mind, but that dwarvern, perhaps, resistence, doesn't let it/Souron's will/soul, in.

---

4 "...what this FANTASY story does reflect is a FANATICAL desire among Western Europeans to put THEMSELVES on top of everyone else as a way of GETTING BACK at everyone else ..."

LOL ... get over yourself man - civ developed in SMALL PARTS,.. over time, from all over the globe - there ARE no central or singular points of origin, and the pathetic flamewars in places like this just demonstrate to everyone what hypocrisy looks like when it's got temporary fingers to point at recent oppression / atrocities / dis-advantage/mistakes-of-our-nearest-generations.

"...FANATICAL desire among Western Europeans"

Tolkein, in portraying a contrast of war, versus nature-linked types like elves, is somehow GENERALLY thematic, of us-westerners-vs ..?

I can't remember how many times i've had to point out the the 'western' in LOTR, is NOT, the same western in R ;

as in ... the W in RL, is either something oringally a characterisation from chinese? who started using basic-compasses back when magnetics were first discovered, and the WINDS-FROM-THE ... of each direction, became a metaphor,
or, then a persian/turkish/mongol term for things west of them, or further south, things african/arabian from a south-asian POV ... even with that, you have 2 different concepts for what might APPEAR to be the same term, but it's not.

BACK to Tolkein's,.. HIS.. is of returning SEA POWER, in defiance-against Morgoth/Melkor/Sauron, in lands to the west being UNREACHABLE to them, and the SEA power of the elves having come to aid humans in times in the past, and-so UNLIKE in most of the world, the elves had managed to survive and humans ADOPTING being LESS-pure, LESS-human, in becoming mixed-blood,.. was actually an ELVEN power, or strength, AMONGST the human.

your and others BS about race, whiteness, and the usual, is just presumptive guesswork, guys.

Do your READING FIRST, before you start pointing fingers.

i.e. MORE ELVEN ... = LESS human = LESS pure.

hey, it's FUN to tell white-supremacists that on pages like these!! take it easy man! seriously. it's ... sigh... difficult, to tell it to some such as yourselves,.. but it's sure as hell FUN to tell it to them!

[Big Grin]

---

"...but the IDEA is what counts, which states that Europeans are must become the Kings of Kings on the world stage..."

"europeans" ... again, you're over-generalising,

and re "the world stage",
Tolkein SPECIFICALLY made a point about the limits of his SCOPE, when making the books - as in ... it was to have LIMITED, NON-global context for the most part, in the CONTEXT of what he'd experienced in war in-germany, in FIGHTING germans, this is,..

FIGHTING f***ing white-supremacists, no-less, and as a part of his LANGUAGE studies, which focused on germanic origins of some of the things in English which come from german languages, the LIMIT OF THE SCOPE of some of the LITERARY devices ... word-play more or less ... that he included in the series, including the elven / runic alphabet, in case you hadn't noticed.

He wasn't DELIBERATELY not making a story wthout most of the world in it ... he was deliberately making a story, with a west/east SCOPE, ending not-far BEYOND, germany, or vague geography 'with some stretching' ... to get a bit of a sense of that, re-read the differences between the elves that refused the journey, the avari - they'd be as-white-as-can-be ... if the germans had had their way, you might say.

If stripping LOTR of it's context after the war, they could've been ... pfff... who cares... light brown? spend a lot of time outdoors, but a lot of it under forest, so they'd not be as tanned as other elves?

Totally-not-the-point though.
to get "...world stage" from Tolkein's efforts, is rediculous. His constant theme in contrast, is WAR MACHINE like mentality, versus living in harmony with nature mentality. If you haven't got that from it, then you're way-off.

The context is one of INDUSTRIALISATION in germany, that goes back several hundred years, while the german crown DELIBERATELY UNDERDEVELOPED britain, and CREATED EMBITTERNESS / RESENTMENT in the UK, while the royal family had it's higher-branches in a german family

Only a declaration during? after? WWii , SEVERED the british royal family PERMANENTLY, from the german branches.

Not everything behind a writer's reasons,
is on-the-page man. Relax.

---

"...a way of Europeans trying to deny the fact that the TRUTH of history was that Western Europe was on the RECIEVING end of culture and CIVLIZATION and that they were BACKWARDS compared to their neighbors in the South and East. Their embarrassment..."

I actually LIKE your writing here, and agree to some extent, but you're again generalising - culture is FLUID, and non-stagnant/static. It's best not to characterise an ENTIRE PEOPLE, mm? you're characerising MANY, entire peoples. f-off - not every European's an-imperial mate - a lot of effort and blood and tears were spent BY europeans, to defeat European empires, in case you hadn't noticed.

---

"...their desire to become "masters" of the world..."

wwwwwhoa!

Nazis, wanted that
not "europeans".

there were plenty of europeans on the Allies side FROM THE START it wasn't just Britain/France.

---

"...and that Western Europe was the LAST to become civilized among men, not the FIRST..."

again, that's a generalisation - culture is gradual, fluid, and relative to what you VALUE - if a society values only building huts out of spruce up in Sweeden then it will SEEM primative to a mediterranean while then outlasting some imported limestone that dissolves in the rain,.. whatever.

"becoming civilised" is over-rated. [Big Grin] one can argue that no-where in the world is STILL, truly-civilised, NOR, has there ever-been anywhere that was - even in ancient Greece or Egypt you still had all kinds of cruelties based on class.. UNlike in simpler lands where LESS-imperial nature led to more relaxed social-order. It is actually paradoxical that the more slagging off of the less-imperial you slag off as you're putting it "less civilised" ... the MORE ovvious you reveal yourself as a hypocryte when ignoring all the suffering that empires created / used as a means to more power - think Egypt's slaves were motivated by a change to glance at a queen's tits when she's on parade? They had massive whips mate. nasty stuff. you're talking DEGREES of suffering in ALL our ancient pasts... achievement based on technology and innovation and science is mostly OPPORTUNITY based - as in ... your capacities with it START ... when you get the chance to - not some imaginary equal-starting-line , were europeans as you're putting it, equally-STARTing from some equal-point,.. and then-what ... CHOOSING to not develop science/etc?

probably mostly a problem with communication, a lack of translators, and soon-after, imperial imposition - greeks first then the romans. You don't get a lot of time to sit around pondering the wonders of the universe, when there's a roman conscriptor knocking at your door after your son, and you have to go club him to death and bury the body.

---

"...ALL of it has its origins in the MYTHOLOGY of Western Europe being the ORIGIN of civilization and culture..."

WHAT myth-origins are you going on about?

nothing i've ever heard or come across claims that.

some guff the Nazis came up with?

pffff. i'm as white as can be mate but i've never even looked at it. doesn't have ANY prescence in my life.

their-shit's on the fire now
when it used to be whoever they wanted's shit on the fire. [Smile] enjoy the reversal eh?

==============

Why are most on this forum so careless about generalisations?

Rich imperialists from recent history from europe, do NOT represent all the PEOPLE, living, or having-lived, in europe.

it's always a mistake to choose too-inclusive a word, rather than the class-enemy / fascist-enemy, we need to be more careful about describing.

Posts: 3 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TempAussie
Member # 23633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TempAussie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intention is surely relevant, and the case seems to be that the guy was either falsely proclaimed by his trustee as a person who "detested racism", or someone who shouldn't be held accountable for work that is negatively perceived. I'm probably inclinded to believe the former, but the latter isn't completely out of the picture.

"...the case seems to be..."

if you'd've watched the interviews in which he details some of his creative intent and processes after all the 'experiences', what we'd now call PTSD from the war, and understand it in-context of the german industrialisation hypocrisy of the 18th/19th centuries, in-which the german royal family wanted to leave britain UNDERdeveloped, but the by-products of WAR-MACHINE (as supposedly neccessary) like mentality was clashing with humanist/humanisms ... you'd KNOW, rather than leaving your point a deliberately-unanswered question.

Not that someone's works being negatively perceived is neccessarily something to have to answer-for, if the perceivER, is MISTAKING intent, or not-understanding the ACCESS to reading/starting materials that you're talking
about - as in ... considering what a writer COULD make these days, with the net... it's very easy to judge what someone MADE ... past-tense ... inamongst libraries full of imperial BS.

THAT, if anything, is the cause for some of the choices in his monsters characteristics,

although i disagree about the slant-eyed criticism...

simply because one slant-eyed characterism COMES FROM an INSECTOID or Lizard/serpentine base, of eyelid differences, and-also leaf-splitting or paied-leaf opening myth, in fae insectoid like faces, which are EMERGENT from the greenery, and when vindictive, hostile to humans, and-so portrayed as both victims, but also dangerous, or obscure, or unknowble, mysterious, dark,.. whatever. SOME, of that tradition, of eyes-amongst-the-greenery ... existed well-before christian mongol-horde monsters.

The animated MOVIE, in the 1960s, of the hobbit, got a lot of people rightly pissed about, 'the huns' helmets...

but that was NOT tolkein's choice, creation, nor anything else - same with many front-covers it/they was a creation of ADVERTISERS, and in the case of that particular animation,.. THEIR artistic directors, stylists, animators,.. lead-artists high on cat-pee like Kenny & Mr Browlowski,.. whatever mate. Not Tolkein. He actually made a concession of regret, that a PRODUCT, had that 'huns' characterisation in it.

as in ... when ALREADY being flogged for sales,.. he regretted that his name was being dragged through the mud because of it. That's clearly NOT some kind of un-apologetic neo-nazi or something, talking shit about white-supremacist-BS. It probably just happened without him noticing - they didn't have the same degree of scrutiny in what was being made, as the Tolkein-Trust does these days.

Posts: 3 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TempAussie
Member # 23633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TempAussie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:

[/qb]

[/qb][/QUOTE]Tolkien's wordplay was anything but sutble. [/QB][/QUOTE]

it was also geographically-constrained, in terms of it's SCOPE, per things to the east-of-germany, and south of all of the limited east-west rolls-sideways-map (a scroll with only east/west features) , and that's the MAIN reason, not-to read-into would be intentions too-deeply, else end up in YOUR OWN IMAGINATION, though your imaginING, of someone else's imagination/ing.

it gets very alice in the looking glass, very quickly.

When in the few passages where Tolkein is writing of travellers' descriptions of things they saw in the south, such as in the Far Harad, he's not making generalisations about the WHOLE WORLD, ffs, he's ending up putting into a very limited context of a very small nummber of travellers' stories of things they've seen when-afar from home - for all we know, the red-tongues / white faces, could've been face-painting or ceremonial ash, or something. whoopy-do. is dsecribing dwarves FROM the west, like those in i think it was taur en faroth? GENERALISING about all westerners as being "short", "dour",.. whatever?

NO - it is a single instance, not a general characterisation - by comparison, Tolkein clearly states that Sauron had CORRUPTED most of the other people's of the earth, far-lands? whaetever,.. and THAT was the reason, for their various flaws / crude-human brutalities,..

i.e. JUST AS MUCH, as the ones corrpupted by Sauron in western lands,

like it or not - the ones in western lands, were brutish, hairy, unclean/smelly, ate raw meat, whatever.

If he'd've written-in as a basic plot-premise, that elves had been created in... pff... thailand or something, would you be accusing him of being PRO Thai?

or would the LOGICAL PLOT DEVELOPMENTS, proximal, CLOSE... to where they're supposed to've been created, (by what's his?her? name, one of the gods in the simarillion) ... end up being REPETITIVELY LOCAL, to where you've made your plot-setting?

If a similar story was based around, say, Lake victoria, with it's freaky amasing visual nature, and the difference between those humoursly 'girly' SEEMing flamingo ankle-bands, was poked at ... would the REST of the world, be able to point out the difference between pink-water-elves emerging from the waters.. all spanky and smooth, compared to the writers... oooo ... clear-racism ... in making the humans seem primative by contrast?

and that the writer is trying to 'purify' the locals, into becoming MORE PINK?

F-off ... elves have a fae history going back longer than any christian BS is willing to admit-to, just as much as folklore ANYwhere, has greenery-dwelling folk that have deeper, older-origins, per various creation-myths.

Some argue, that because it was a white guy with Tolkein, borrowing from BOTH euro-western/euro-northern myths and culture, AS-WELL-AS some things from afar, especially creationary myth like stories or bases as some here have pointed out in similarities of names,..

... that it's truly staggering to see so many so blanket/stab-in-the-dark mis-diagnosing cultural-mis-approriation, or imitation, as racism - when 'white-devils' , appear in all kinds of shit in africa,.. does the whole world go up in arms, about one particular drama-school director, and slag them off, incensantly?

no. why? because anthropological, cultural, alien-natures, of foreign things,.. IS,.. natural.

it's called CAUTION, and it's a good thing.

when that turns into systemic/imperial racism/hostility, that's something else.

---

please at least TRY,.. to tell the difference between an-OIC turned war-veteran,
(yes that's spelt correctly)

portraying ORCs, who have lost their elven-origins?

it's critical to the war-machine THEME,

and if you miss it, you might as well not bother pretending to understand the series, OR the writer's intentions.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Wow. Thanks for restoring a very old lost thread.

Again, the thread topic was not a direct discussion of Tolkien's influences and heritage vs the role of mythology in reflecting a certain world view.

But yes, dwarves and nature worship on a grand scale is ancient in Africa. And in this day and age of so-called 'woke' entertainment, they still are not doing any live action versions of African mythology.

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethiopia and Lord of the Rings

quote:
Was Ethiopia the inspiration for Middle-earth in the Lord of the Rings trilogy? That’s what a several writers and LOTR bloggers seem to think. Their theory is based on the fact that so many of the place names on the classic fantasy series by J.R.R. Tolkien are remarkably similar to Ethiopian place names – the fictional Gondor and the real-life Gondar, Rohan and Roha, Harad and Harar, Barad-dûr and Bahir Dar.

Although Tolkien never visited Ethiopia, other facts bolsters the theory that at least some of LOTR was inspired by the Horn of Africa. For one thing, Tolkien was a native African – born in Bloemfontein in South Africa’s Orange Free State in 1892. And he began writing the first book shortly after Italy’s controversial invasion of Ethiopia in 1935. So even though the author lived in England at the time he wrote the books, without doubt Africa was part of his heritage and his psyche.

Read more about the theory in The Real Middle-earth: Discovering the Origin of The Lord of the Rings, a book by Michael Muhling. You can also find discussions about the theory at these link

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Links?
What the hell is this suppose to mean? When are invasions not controversial?
Italy’s controversial invasion of Ethiopia in 1935.

Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
Links?
What the hell is this suppose to mean? When are invasions not controversial?
Italy’s controversial invasion of Ethiopia in 1935.

Read more about the theory in The Real Middle-earth: Discovering the Origin of The Lord of the Rings, a book by Michael Muhling. You can also find discussions about the theory at these links:

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1131-real-middle-earth-discovering-origin-lord-of-the-rings.php

https://addisabram.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/the-real-middle-earth-ethiopian-origin-of-tolkiens-the-lord-of-the-rings/

http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2014/01/abyssianian-gondar.html

--------------------

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
quote:
One of the underappreciated aspects of Tolkien's genius, Garth believes, is that he was a "master synthesist". As he goes on, "People tend to think simultaneously that he got all his ideas from Northern myth and that he made everything up out of nowhere. In fact, he found his inspirations in many places". Or from all four points of the compass, as Garth sets about explaining in latest book, The Worlds of JRR Tolkien: The Places that Inspired Middle-earth. From the East, for instance, came medieval legends of Alexander the Great and the Egyptian infatuation with mortuary architecture that continues in the Middle-earth kingdom of Gondor. Among the least explored are those that came from the South, the classical influences that were so dominant in Tolkien's own cultural era. The author was explicit in the role that the Atlantis legend played in shaping his Númenor, for instance, and as Garth explains, his account of its downfall – a key element of the Amazon series – builds from Plato's account of the powerful Western sea-empire destroyed by hubris.
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20220824-the-ancient-roots-of-the-lord-of-the-rings?ocid=twcul

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com