EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » TURKS AND GREEKS IN EGYPT HOW DID THEY AFFECT THE EGYPTIAN poulation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TURKS AND GREEKS IN EGYPT HOW DID THEY AFFECT THE EGYPTIAN poulation
youssef
Member # 9774

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for youssef     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how did these country affect egypt
Posts: 198 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They affected Egypt through intermarriage and also by leaving imprints into the local Egyptian culture through cusine. Lots of Egyptian cusine come from Turkish and Greeks
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to Greek cuisine, most say that it was the Greeks that were influenced by the Egyptians. Even many of their common dishes have Egyptian or Arabic names. I imagine it goes both ways, as the two cultures were intimate for centuries.
Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tk101
Member # 12361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tk101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well its expected when two peoples meet, they exchange culture, ideas etc... so one could say thier effects were as mutual
Posts: 40 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When it comes to Greek cuisine, most say that it was the Greeks that were influenced by the Egyptians. Even many of their common dishes have Egyptian or Arabic names. I imagine it goes both ways, as the two cultures were intimate for centuries
Graf Gen, could you give me some examples of Egyptian influence on Greek cusine? I have found that much of what I thought was indigenous Egyptian cusine has non-indigenous origins. I would appreciate any information you might have.

Also how much Arabic influence vs. Greek or Turkish influence does modern Egyptian cusine have? The Lebanese and Palestineans have alot of Egyptian food but is that because of imitation or because said cusine originates there?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't Aish and Pita come from Ancient Egypt? I am not an expert on cuisine but wasn't most ancient Eastern Mediterranean agriculture (and thus grain dishes) spread about by encounters with Egypt as well? The popular moussaka and stuffed grape-leaves are also from Ancient Egypt from what I learned. Barley and other grain alcohol, as well as wine, have their origins in Egypt as well.
Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
That is possible but alot of different cultures have flat breads. I read somewhere that Greeks did adopt some forms of bread from the ancient Egyptians. I am sure Ayish Baladi and Ayish shams[sun bread] probably have ancient Egyptian origins. The problem with Egyptian cusine is its hard to determine what is ancient or recent developments. Alot of world cusine has foreign ingredients but indigenous recipes.

Stuff like feteer,koshari and mashy are indigeous to Egypt but I have no idea if they have an ancient origin. I know that Ful Medames does go back to ancient Egypt. Ta'miyya also came from Egypt but spread to the Levant.

What further complicates matters is we don't have any surviving recipe books from ancient Egypt. Offering formulas and study of mummies can tell us what they ate.

Wine making did not originate in Egypt. Beer-making might have either developed in Sumeria or ancient Egypt first.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the commonalities between Greece, Turkey, and Egypt were intensified during the Ottoman period.
Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youssef
Member # 9774

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for youssef     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about clothes,identity,the way they live wwhats the differences between these countries and what are the similarities
Posts: 198 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youssef
Member # 9774

Rate Member
also which genes should i say including ancient egyptian dominate most also i heard that most of the elite people could genetically be totally classified as europeans
Cats In The Craddle
Member # 12627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cats In The Craddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/631/chrncls.htm
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com