EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT:Yorkshire clan linked to Africa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT:Yorkshire clan linked to Africa
kifaru
Member # 4698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kifaru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6293333.stm
Posts: 167 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Article Quote
quote:

There are other precedents for the finding. When scientists analysed the DNA of the third US president, Thomas Jefferson, they found that his Y chromosome belonged to a haplogroup known as K2.

Jefferson's father claimed Welsh ancestry. But his Y-haplogroup is vanishingly rare in Europe and has not yet been reported in Britain.

In fact, genetic studies show that Thomas Jefferson's K2 haplogroup ultimately came from north-east Africa or the Middle East, the areas where it is most commonly found today.

Great Post. The genetic evidence of Thomas Jefferson mentioned in the article supports the research of J.A. Rogers, relating to the African ancestry of this president.

Can it be possible that the other 4 presidents mentioned by Rogers who appear to be white were also Africans?

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prof. Jobling:
quote:
"Human migration history is clearly very complex, particularly for an island nation such as ours, and this study further debunks the idea that there are simple and distinct populations or 'races'."
rasol:
quote:
Race in biology is defined by descrete and non overlapping lineages - or separable/common ancestries, which is typically not the case.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roman Imperial Borders and Trade Routes
 -
Yorkshire, England
 -

First Genetic Evidence Of Long-Lived African Presence Within Britain

The researchers, led by Professor Mark Jobling, of the Department of Genetics at the University of Leicester, first spotted the rare Y chromosome type, known as hgA1, in one individual, Mr. X. This happened whilst PhD student Ms. Turi King was sampling a larger group in a study to explore the association between surnames and the Y chromosome, both inherited from father to son. Mr. X, a white Caucasian living in Leicester, was unaware of having any African ancestors.

"As you can imagine, we were pretty amazed to find this result in someone unaware of having any African roots," explains Professor Jobling, a Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellow. "The Y chromosome is passed down from father to son, so this suggested that Mr. X must have had African ancestry somewhere down the line. Our study suggests that this must have happened some time ago."

Although most of Britain's one million people who define themselves as "Black or Black British" owe their origins to immigration from the Caribbean and Africa from the mid-twentieth century onwards, in reality, there has been a long history of contact with Africa. Africans were first recorded in the north 1800 years ago, as Roman soldiers defending Hadrian's Wall.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070124072328.htm
 -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/8538888.stm

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26246 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:  -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/8538888.stm

They even made a reconstruction of her burial based of the objects they found in her grave, and some imagination

-

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2685 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some more about the Ivory Bangle Lady

Leach, et al, 2010: A Lady of York: migration, ethnicity and identity in Roman Britain
Antiquity, 84

Link to the article

quote:
Modern methods of analysis applied to
cemeteries have often been used in our pages
to suggest generalities about mobility and diet.
But these same techniques applied to a single
individual, together with the grave goods and
burial rite, can open a special kind of personal
window on the past. Here, the authors of a
multidisciplinary project use a combination
of scientific techniques to illuminate Roman
York, and later Roman history in general,
with their image of a glamorous mixed-race
woman, in touch with Africa, Christianity,
Rome and Yorkshire.

--------------------

Posts: 2685 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Also interesting with Egyptian influence on Romans in York. Among the influences is a temple dedicated to the god Serapis

quote:
The Temple of Serapis was put up by one Claudius Hieronymianus, legate of the 6th Legion, at least according to the Latin inscription on the foundation stone. "Some have claimed the name Hieronymianus suggests his own Egyptian origins," Prof Fletcher says.
This is what happens when Egyptian gods meet Roman York...

--------------------

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
Also interesting with Egyptian influence on Romans in York. Among the influences is a temple dedicated to the god Serapis

quote:
The Temple of Serapis was put up by one Claudius Hieronymianus, legate of the 6th Legion, at least according to the Latin inscription on the foundation stone. "Some have claimed the name Hieronymianus suggests his own Egyptian origins," Prof Fletcher says.
This is what happens when Egyptian gods meet Roman York...
Why don't you get it?

Ancient Egypt is a Black African Civilization, no amount of claiming it as roman will change that.

We have proof of Ancient Egypt being Black African, the hieroglyph for Face, it spanned the entire lifetime of Ancient Egypt and there is no caucasoid or white looking ones, only Black African

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Something about Serapis

quote:
Serapis or Sarapis is a Graeco-Egyptian God. The cult of Serapis was created during the third century BC on the orders of Greek Pharaoh Ptolemy I Soter of the Ptolemaic Kingdom in Egypt as a means to unify the Greeks and Egyptians in his realm.

The cultus of Serapis was spread as a matter of deliberate policy by the Ptolemaic kings. Serapis continued to increase in popularity during the Roman Empire, often replacing Osiris as the consort of Isis in temples outside Egypt. Though Ptolemy I may have created the official cult of Serapis and endorsed him as a patron of the Ptolemaic dynasty and Alexandria, Serapis was a pre-existing syncretistic deity derived from the worship of the Egyptian Osiris and Apis and also gained attributes from other deities, such as chthonic powers linked to the Greek Hades and Demeter, and with benevolence derived from associations with Dionysus.

Serapis

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yorkshireman found to share DNA with African tribes
Last updated at 22:52em on 27.01.07
 -

Revis has always considered himself a true Yorkshireman who was proud of his ancestry.
But he has been forced to confront an entirely different heritage - after scientists uncovered that he has exactly the same DNA imprint as a tribe of African warriors.
Scientists last week announced the discovery of the first proof that slaves brought to Britain by the Romans left behind a distinct genetic heritage.
This strand was revealed to exist among just seven men with a particular surname hailing from the North of England.
However, the academics refused to disclose the identities of any of those men included in the study.
Now The Mail on Sunday has discovered that all of those with the African lineage have the surname Revis.
Last night, John, 75, a retired surveyor living in Leicester, said: "I started looking into my family history and traced my ancestors back to the mid-1700s.
"One line went to the States and became very successful while my immediate line stayed in the North of England and were mostly bakers. There was nothing to suggest that I was African."
John responded to a newspaper advert by Leicester University asking for people who have traced their ancestry to give DNA samples for a study on world populations.
He said: "The scientists took some of my DNA away for analysis and then one day they called me up and were very excited. They said I had a Y-chromosome that was extremely rare. I was flabbergasted. I had no idea that I was so culturally unique. But I am not going to start eating couscous and riding a camel."
John is attempting to take the discovery in his stride. He added: "It was a shock to find out that, because I was so blond and blue-eyed when I was younger, people thought I was Nordic or German.
"But the researchers said that if my DNA were examined then people would assume they were looking at a North African man.
"I suspect there must have been some big Berber tribesman who came to Britain with the Romans and spread his seed all over Yorkshire."
John is married with three children and six grandchildren. The news shocked his friends at Brookfield Bowls Club in Leicester.
He added: "It is a very white establishment which can be a little awkward in a multi-racial place such as Leicester.
"At least now they can say they have got one more ethnic-minority member but I doubt anyone would be able to pick me out. His wife Marlene was also taken aback."
She said: "I can hardly believe it. John has always seemed very English to me. He likes his roast beef and Yorkshire pudding on a Sunday. He has never asked me to cook anything unusual. My friends think our news is hilarious.
"The closest John ever came to the traditional Berber life was when he went camping with the Scouts. I don't think we've been in a tent since we got married.'
Scientists from Leicester University made the finding during research sponsored by The Wellcome Trust. They were examining the relationship between the male, or Y, chromosome and surnames.
Like surnames, the Y-chromosome is passed from father to son, virtually unchanged through generations.

Professor Mark Jobling said: "We found John was in the A1 group of Y-chromosomes, which is very rare and highly west African-specific.

"This study has shown what it means to be British is complicated and always has been. Human migration history is very complex, particularly for an island nation such as ours. This study further debunks the idea that there are simple and distinct populations or races."
Over time, the Y-chromosome accumulates small changes in DNA sequence, allowing scientists to study the relationships between different male lineages.
The surname Revis is believed to derive from Rievaulx Abbey in Yorkshire. Berber comes from the Latin word for Barbarian.
Fellow researcher Turi King said: "Our findings represent the first genetic evidence of Africans among 'indigenous' British people."
She added that Africans were first recorded in northern England 1,800 years ago, brought by the Romans to help defend Hadrian's Wall.
Ms King said: "The slave trade was responsible for the influx of Africans in the 16th and 17th Centuries. By the last third of the 18th Century there were 10,000 black people in Britain.

--------------------

Posts: 26246 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question is how exactly did his paternal lineage of A00 enter Britain? There are many who speculate that it entered during Roman Imperial times but there's nothing certain.

I rehashed this thread as balance to all the talk of Eurasian admixture in Africans. Admixture always works both ways. Though, I have noticed a disturbing trend in the BBC where far-left marxists are making it seem like every every 3rd man of the Imperial legion was a black African who married a native British woman.

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Yes there is a tendency to exaggerate the African presence in ancient Europe.

In Sweden we have had a trend of trying to place muslims and other immigrants in Viking age contexts in the name of inclusiveness. In an exhibition on a Swedish museum they even invented a muslim girl, who was talking some kind of suburban, immigrant slang and talked about how mixed everyone were in the viking age. Of course there were contacts with the muslim world, and some mixing took place, but there is a tendency to exaggerate the scope of it out of political reasons.

I also heard some debaters complain over that some posters at an exhibition on the Scandinavian bronze age showed blonde people. But blonde hair is actually found in a couple of Danish barrows from the bronze age.

Btw, some of the comments in the article from England was a bit funny, as if some African gene would govern what people like to eat [Smile]

quote:
She said: "I can hardly believe it. John has always seemed very English to me. He likes his roast beef and Yorkshire pudding on a Sunday. He has never asked me to cook anything unusual. My friends think our news is hilarious.

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Yes, I've heard about that as well. I've even heard of talk to get rid of-- either sell or melt down Viking coins and goods in place of Islamic goods. There is a difference between inquiry into foreign influence in your culture and replacing your culture altogether.

So apparently Africans are not the only victims of cultural identity theft.

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
^^ Seems it is going on both here and there.

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
A reconstruction of how Roman York (Eboracum) can have looked like in the third century AD

-

Eboracum

York

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com