EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » predynasty question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: predynasty question
fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading old threads about the southern borders and nubia which made me ask about this.
I read that ausar said this: Lower Nubia and Upper Egypt during the pre-dyanstic shared a culture. Before unification Upper Egypt was a series of cheifdoms streching from Nekhen to parts of Abydos. Eventually when unification of the lands the cheifdoms merged into one entity.

Then brian williams suggest 3 kingdoms on the nile. In the qustul incense burner there are remarks of victory over ta-shemau and ta-tjemeh
He(brian)even used the term military campaigns.

My question then begins to creep out and say that if they (ta-seti) engaged in campaigns and traded in goods such as leopard skin, ivory, gold and other minerals which would take man power and technologically advanced equipment to obtain this and if they were supposedly close to ta shemau ethnically and culturally then what is the chances of ta-shemau and ta seti joining together to conquer ta-meh and ta-nehesi(to control big trade spots, land occupation).

kathryn bard says that the area of lower nubia of the a group was inhospitable for big populous administrative functions to be carried out. Why then, if this is known, they dont assume that a military power such as described by the a group themselves(conquering ta shemau and ta tjmeh)would then actually move into territory that is more compliant to further advanments or benefits of the particular group. Hence forth the a group disappearance into better cultivating land, leaving the area between 1st and 2nd cataracts

I mean where else would egypt find a military to conquer ta-meh or put down rebellions in the ta-seti/ta-sehesi regions. scholars mention the relationship of ta-seti and ta shemau so much, it makes me believe that they were the same and if not then are there any specific evidences to point to who exactly were the inhabitants of nekhen to abydos?

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My question then begins to creep out and say that if they (ta-seti) engaged in campaigns and traded in goods such as leopard skin, ivory, gold and other minerals which would take man power and technologically advanced equipment to obtain this and if they were supposedly close to ta shemau ethnically and culturally then what is the chances of ta-shemau and ta seti joining together to conquer ta-meh and ta-nehesi(to control big trade spots, land occupation).
I agree.

quote:
kathryn bard says that the area of lower nubia of the a group was inhospitable for big populous administrative functions to be carried out. Why then, if this is known, they dont assume that a military power such as described by the a group themselves(conquering ta shemau and ta tjmeh)would then actually move into territory that is more compliant to further advanments or benefits of the particular group.
Right again. This is most consistent with the primary text. It explains why Ta Seti is referred to as the 1st Nome of Km.t. Moreover we know from archeology linguistics and genetics that the Nile Valley was settled from the South and from the post Holocene drying sahara.

quote:
Hence forth the a group disappearance into better cultivating land, leaving the area between 1st and 2nd cataracts

I mean where else would egypt find a military to conquer ta-meh or put down rebellions in the ta-seti/ta-sehesi regions. scholars mention the relationship of ta-seti and ta shemau so much, it makes me believe that they were the same

They overlap conceptually. Ta Shemu, Ta Seti, Nsu Biti, Resu, Nehesu, Ta Khent, Punt, Ta Neter, all reference the Upper Nile Valley in different social and political contexts that are not always clearly distinct or mutually exclusive.

The best example of this I know is from the 11 dynasty Prophesy of Neferti.

It refers to the rightful king of Km.t as someone who comes from Ta Seti.

Then a king will come from the South,
Ameny, the just)fied, by name,
Son of a woman of Ta-Seti, child of Upper Egypt.
He will take the white crown,
He will wear the red crown;
He will join the Two Mighty Ones.

http://ib205.tripod.com/prophecy_neferti.html

Which is it then...Ta Seti, or Upper Egypt?

After all, they are two completely different entities.

We know this because ws.t Egyptology says so. [Roll Eyes]

Nevermind that the Km.t say otherwise - clearly and in plain text.

It has always been my opinion that many ws.t egyptologists know the truth about km.t.

They simply have a vested political and psychological interest in not admitting the truth.

The only other alternative is to believe that ws.t Egyptologist read the primary text, but are really really stupid, and can't understand what they are reading.

I don't believe that. [Cool]

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com