EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » who is Diodorus Siculus talking to in his Magnus opus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: who is Diodorus Siculus talking to in his Magnus opus?
fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who is Diodorus Siculus talking to in his Magnus opus? when he says, "Now they relate that of all people the Aithiopians [Ethiopians] were the earliest, and say that the proofs of this are clear." Who is THEY? where is he when repoting this? should eithiopians be tooken generally?
If he is talking to egyptians then this would be crucial to the evidence of a lower nubian/upper egyptian origin because IF the nubt/abydos polity influenced militarily the ta-seti polity then where would they(ta-shemau) recieve troops from, ta-meh? ta-tjemah ta-seti could have easily reinforced their stronghold with their southern kindred(kememu polities). No different from abyssinia when it took over yemen before the birth of the prophet muhammed(saw);ref the koran "ch. the elephant"

the statement, "That they did not arrive as immigrants but are the natives of the country and therefore rightly are called authochthonous is almost universally accepted," implies that he
is in egypt because why would he mention the implicit assumption of others that ethiopians maybe are immigrants. eithiopian(or black skinned) Immigrants in areas of the sudan, ethiopia, chad, south lybia, ethiopia, chad, etc sounds very erroneous while if he(diodorus) where in egypt(especially during his time is I assume during the roman occupation) then it(the statement of them being immigrants) would comply better. With the influx of foreigners who would have been very far & away(like tom cruise [Wink] get it) from the original knowledge of keme then this would be more likely.

This is like assuming that la-raza(indi-azteca) are foreign to the frontier areas of the united states because you see the influx of european immigrants. This is assuming that if the eyewitness doesn't know american history and looks at the dominant population.
It reminds of a trip i took to morocco in which a bus ticket soliciter asked me where i was from. When i told him the u.s. he denied it vehemently as if i was trying to be smart(by the way do not ever try to be a smart ass with moroccans) he kept asking me if i was from latin america and i told him no. he persisted on until he throw his hands in the air and left. it was like that all over morocco. the guessing game. It was either morocco,mauretania,lybia,saudia arabia but not one claim close.

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Diodorus Siculus was probably talking about historians that came before him. You also have to consider the Greek to English translation which might not have the same literal meaning.

Other Greek historians,such as Herodotus,actually copied alot of their information from previous historians.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
herodotus took his info from an kemet priest but isnt herodotus a known liar?

--------------------
لا اله الا الله و محمد الرسول الله

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manetho and Diodorus Siculus believed alot of what Herodotus said was inaccurate but I think a better term is probably exagerater. Anyway, Just mentioned Herodotus in reference to Didodorus Siculus and getting alot of his information from second hand sources.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the question pertains Kemetic origins then Herodotus, Manetheo, Diodorus, et. al, can only pass on what they were told to begin with.

You have to place all evidence in context.

The above Greco-Romans are not eyewitnesses to the birth of Kemet.

So this is distinct from citing them as witness to things they actually saw.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abdulkarem3:
who is Diodorus Siculus talking to in his Magnus opus? when he says, "Now they relate that of all people the Aithiopians [Ethiopians] were the earliest, and say that the proofs of this are clear." Who is THEY?

Diodorus Siculus, Books II.35-IV.58

Within the book introduction, page vii:

"The Third Book opens with an account of the Ethiopians on the upper Nile, then describes the working of the gold mines on the border between Egypt and Ethiopia, and includes a long discussion of the Red Sea and the peoples dwelling about it, with some mention of the tribes along the shores of the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf. Much of this material was drawn from the geographer Agatharchides of Cnidus, whose work, On the Red Sea, is preserved to us in the excerpts of Photius. This work of Agatharchides, composed in the latter part of the second century B.C., embraced five Books and is on the whole a sober and fairly trustworthy discussion of that region; much of it was certainly based upon the stories and accounts of travellers in these parts and on personal observation."

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com