EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » color racism of kememou?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: color racism of kememou?
fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can anybody reference the source of this statement. I keep seeing it in anthro sites:
"From 1350 B.C., Egyptian paintings depict lower Nile peoples with red bodies, those from the east (Semites, Hittites) as being yellow, those from upper Egypt as white, and Nubians as black. When lighter Egyptians were in power, they referred to the subordinate group as “the evil dark-skinned race of Ish.” When darker Egyptians dominated, they called the conquered “the pale, degraded race of Arvad." Is this true?

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never come across such a reference while reading ancient Egyptian texts translated. The only mention to color I have seen is within the Hymn to Aten and maybe some other texts. Most of the comments were not racist in nature but descriptive.

Also, if you got this from a website you should email them asking for direct texts translation or from what second hand source they aquired this information.

I have also never seen any depiction of Upper Egyptians as being white.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always ask in these cases where the poster is getting their information from.

90% of the time - they choose not to answer.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the "wretched Kushite" type pejorative is
easy enough to track down in the original, I've
yet to track down the "pale degraded Arvad" jibe
since I first read it in Rogers (either Nature Knows
No Colorline
or Sex and Race vol. 1) decades ago.

quote:
Originally posted by abdulkarem3:
can anybody reference the source of this statement. I keep seeing it in anthro sites:
"From 1350 B.C., Egyptian paintings depict lower Nile peoples with red bodies, those from the east (Semites, Hittites) as being yellow, those from upper Egypt as white, and Nubians as black. When lighter Egyptians were in power, they referred to the subordinate group as “the evil dark-skinned race of Ish.” When darker Egyptians dominated, they called the conquered “the pale, degraded race of Arvad." Is this true?

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, the wretched Kush'' pejorative is not a reference to color. I have yet to find an Egyptian text that shows disdain based upon complexion. We also know that Asiatics and Libyans were called wretched as well.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, on all counts. Colourism or racism was not
a factor of AE society as far as what my studies reveal.
They had nothing even approaching a colorline, limpieza
de sangre, Jim Crow, apartheid, or herrenvolk policy
limiting or denying education, housing, employment,
marriage, etc., based on skin colour.

I think the Greeks introduced something akin to, but not
the same as, the above policies when they segregated
Alexandria. (This isn't in reference to natural system of city
quarters, where arious ethnies themselves decided to live
in 'hoods of their own.)

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Yes, the Ptolemies in the latter part of their rule established a law that to attend gymnasia you had to prove paternal and maternal lineages back to Greeks. Romans took it further establishing that no Egyptians could go into Alexandria unless they were servents not could any Egyptian intermarry with a Roman citizen.

See Alan K Bowman's Egypt After the Pharoahs for such claim.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com