EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: Excellent site on Afircan history

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Excellent site on Afircan history
Mmmkay
Member # 10013

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mmmkay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came upon a site with excellent and fairly detailed overviews of african kingdoms and civilizations here: http://endingstereotypesforamerica.org/ghana.html

I started the link there cuz for some reason the hopme page does'nt work, nevertheless I was impressed with the accurate information (with citings) presented becase it is rare to find a site on the subject that does'nt mix in non-sense and pseudo-scientific fantasy without real historical basis (such as runoko rashidi) or in converse eurocentric bias and distortion (wikipedia).

check it out and see what you think.

Posts: 426 | From: Cali-for-nia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx! This is one of the best sites I've ran across in a minute, concerning African history. Good find, very on point...

--------------------
mr.writer.asa@gmail.com

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Booo on any overview of African history that does not mention Kemet/Egypt.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:

^ no Egypt, half-story.
Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rasol, I think I found your website

http://geocities.com/seasidehighsoccer/sahara.htm#_note-9

This sounds like some of your views, good page.

Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mmmkay:
I came upon a site with excellent and fairly detailed overviews of african kingdoms and civilizations here: http://endingstereotypesforamerica.org/ghana.html

I started the link there cuz for some reason the hopme page does'nt work, nevertheless I was impressed with the accurate information (with citings) presented becase it is rare to find a site on the subject that does'nt mix in non-sense and pseudo-scientific fantasy without real historical basis (such as runoko rashidi) or in converse eurocentric bias and distortion (wikipedia).

check it out and see what you think.

This is great. Medieval Mali SHOULD be seen as one of the most successful empires of the Medieval era, but it's not for the obvious reasons. Which is why things like the Timbuktu manuscripts are so important because they are a written history.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by X-Ras:

It's not mine though. Never seen it before until now.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

You have a website Rasol?
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
quote:
quote:

Dude was being funny ... this is not Rasol site ...

Read the site:

quote:
Names for ancient Egypt as a source for racial classifications

One of the many names for Egypt in ancient Egyptian is km.t (read "Kemet"), meaning "black land". More literally, the word means "something black". The use of km.t "black land" in terms of a place was generally in contrast to the "desert" or "red land": the desert beyond the Nile valley. When used to mean people, km.t "people of Kemet", "people of the black land" is usually translated "Egyptians". This word that the Egyptians used to describe themselves was never used to describe other peoples of Africa.

Science

Most modern scientists have abandoned the use of mutually exclusive races. This is in large part because DNA evidence has shown that there is little genetic basis for race.

There is greater genetic diversity within populations than between them. There are greater genetic differences between different groups classified as "black" than between the other races. Some groups of people classified as black are more closely related to white or Asian peoples than other black people.[citation needed]

Also look at this images on the page ... especially that image of the four so called races:

seriously ... We know what the real one looks like ...

This doesn't even resemble what Rasol would have written.

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KaBa Un Hru:
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
quote:
quote:

Dude was being funny ... this is not Rasol site ...

Read the site:

quote:
Names for ancient Egypt as a source for racial classifications

One of the many names for Egypt in ancient Egyptian is km.t (read "Kemet"), meaning "black land". More literally, the word means "something black". The use of km.t "black land" in terms of a place was generally in contrast to the "desert" or "red land": the desert beyond the Nile valley. When used to mean people, km.t "people of Kemet", "people of the black land" is usually translated "Egyptians". This word that the Egyptians used to describe themselves was never used to describe other peoples of Africa.

Science

Most modern scientists have abandoned the use of mutually exclusive races. This is in large part because DNA evidence has shown that there is little genetic basis for race.

There is greater genetic diversity within populations than between them. There are greater genetic differences between different groups classified as "black" than between the other races. Some groups of people classified as black are more closely related to white or Asian peoples than other black people.[citation needed]

Also look at this images on the page ... especially that image of the four so called races:

seriously ... We know what the real one looks like ...

This doesn't even resemble what Rasol would have written.

LOL, I was joking, but the references to Keita sure sound like rasol's views, thats what I was getting at.
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Lol, true, but at least they touched upon it a bit and put it with in the context of Africa.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com