EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Where did most AE live?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where did most AE live?
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told several times here that most ancient Egyptians lived in southern Egypt, but I have encountered a source saying the opposite:

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/people/index.htm

quote:
There were three main population centres: the Nile valley between Thebes and the first cataract, the Faiyum, and the Delta.

To make all the lower lying land along the upper reaches of the Nile fit for cultivation the earth banks of the river had to be cut, in order for the annual flood waters to fill the large scale irrigation basins which had come into being through the building of dams. These earthworks often required cooperation on a scale beyond the capabilities of single villages and was contributory to the formation of regional power centres.
The Faiyum, a natural oasis irrigated by the Bahr Yussuf was developed during the Middle Kingdom, when large tracts of land were reclaimed from the Lake and put under cultivation. Under the Ptolemies it was preferred to other regions by the Greeks who settled there in large numbers.

The Delta posed problems of drainage and was difficult to settle as few regions were permanently above the level of the high Nile. The marshes along the northern coastline were much of the time water-logged. These problems were overcome to some extent by building dams and drainage canals. In the end the majority of the Egyptian population lived in Lower Egypt.

Well, what made you think the reverse was true?
Posts: 7103 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe by "in the end," they mean by the end of Ancient Egypt, which is easily believable, because by Roman and Greek times, this did become the case, partly due to the influx of foreigners. Especially since many date the end of AE to 30 BC with the death of Cleopatra, when it had been ruled by Greeks for 300 years and Persians for 200 before that. During this time there would have been a population increase in the delta compared to other regions due to the building of Alexandria and its closeness to regions from which foreigners would emigrate.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yom:
Maybe by "in the end," they mean by the end of Ancient Egypt, which is easily believable, because by Roman and Greek times, this did become the case, partly due to the influx of foreigners. Especially since many date the end of AE to 30 BC with the death of Cleopatra, when it had been ruled by Greeks for 300 years and Persians for 200 before that. During this time there would have been a population increase in the delta compared to other regions due to the building of Alexandria and its closeness to regions from which foreigners would emigrate.

That is possible, but I have seen the phrase "in the end" used to conclude a paragraph (e.g "in the end, it doesn't really matter"). The author could have meant "in conclusion, the majority of the population lived in Lower Egypt".

The weird thing is that I've also read claims that the population concentration varied depending on the location of the capital; i.e. most people would have lived in southern Egypt during the New Kingdom and in northern Egypt during the Old Kingdom. I actually have seen a statement from a peer-reviewed source saying that the population was mostly in Upper Egypt, but I cannot find it at the momemnt.

Why does this have to be so confusing?

Posts: 7103 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Does anyone else have comments?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Yes, it is baseless...unless the author can specify the timeframe(s) in question, and what set of premises he/she is deriving his/her conclusion, e.g. why the Delta would have higher population than further up the Nile:

The author tells us why the Delta was a relatively uninhabitable place, or else why it proved to be a challenging environment for inhabitation, then immediately dives into this:

In the end the majority of the Egyptian population lived in Lower Egypt.

It's true that in the predynastic times, that there was a period when the Delta was marsh-like, and undesirable for inhabitation. This has been noted several times here; for example, in this topic: What the finer archeological details reveal about population intensity...

I mean, surely the author is not telling us that the relatively less populated upper Nile Valley overpowered the more heavily populated Delta region, and became the basis for the predominant ruling sections in the ensuing dynastic period, are they?

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
set of premises he/she is deriving his/her conclusion
Reminds me of my logics class. lol

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com