EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ramses II's throne name?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ramses II's throne name?
Nay-Sayer
Member # 10566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nay-Sayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone chime in on what's the correct transliteration of Ramses II's throne name. I was under the impression that it is transliterated as Usermaatra Setepenra...
Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, the guy had 200 wives and concubines, 96 sons and 60 daughters. How did he have time to rule? Hell of a busy man [Big Grin]
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^LMAO [Big Grin] Yeah Yonis, how he was able to make time enough to preside over construction projects, govern his people, and fight wars is beyond me!

To Nay-Sayer: You are correct that User-maat-re Setep-en-re was one of Ramses II's throne names.

Like many African cultures, names were important in Egyptian society and this couldn't be more true for the Pharaoh.

A pharaoh had 5 names altogether-- 4 official royal titles or throne names and his personal name--

1. The Horus-name (manifestation of the god Heru )

2. He of the two ladies (the two national goddesses represented by the cobra-goddess of Lower Egypt, Wadjet and the vulture-goddess of Upper Egypt, Nekhbet)

3. The golden name (expressing eternity)

4. He of the sedge and bee (another expression denoting Upper and Lower Egypt)

5. Son of Ra, the sun god (i.e., personal name).

"Ramses" is the Greek version of his personal name which is actually pronounced Ramessia.

Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In which texts do we learn about Rameses' 150 children?

--------------------
Truth - a liar penetrating device!

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:
In which texts do we learn about Rameses' 150 children?

http://www.touregypt.net/19dyn03.htm
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I take it that you don't know which concrete evidence, records or primary texts touregypt is basing that information on?

--------------------
Truth - a liar penetrating device!

Posts: 5964 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is in official Egyptian texts. Rameses had over a hundred children, though how many of these children is biologically his I do not know.
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he rotated between his wives and concubines just
a rate of one per week we can see it didn't really
take up much of his time fathering so many children
especially if he "entertained" two to five of them at
once during his more hornier moods and appetite.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

It is in official Egyptian texts. Rameses had over a hundred children, though how many of these children is biologically his I do not know.

Which official Egyptic texts state that he fathered 150 children?
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

True.
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

LOL I don't know if the Pharoah had more than one woman at one time, but definitely just a rotation of one woman a week could yield such a large number of offspring.
quote:

Pretty much all the royal records during Ramses II's time. There is no question or argument about it. In fact, it is one of the very few things Egyptologists agree with.

Again, all the texts speak of these children being 'his', but as how many this applied in the biological context remains to be seen. If you remember, it is a common custom for Pharaohs to claim children as his own even though they are not biologically his. Although, it is by no means impossible for him to have that many biological children considering the size of his harem.

Supercar
Member # 6477

quote:

quote:

Pretty much all the royal records during Ramses II's time. There is no question or argument about it.
...which is why, going onto the third reply now, that you haven't produced a shred of specific examples of "primary texts" that attest to the 150 children he biologically fathered? I am not presenting an argument, for I don't know what the case 'really' is; I am however presenting a question about it. So yes, there is a question about it, that has yet to be answered.
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For him to have so many children, Rameses II must have had more hot black chicks than a MTV video. Makes me want to get a time machine and travel back to ancient Egypt, circa RII's time.
Posts: 7094 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said all his kutty was black?

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^LMAO You guys are nuts! Seriously, though it wasn't uncommon from Pharoahs or any powerful kings at that time to have that many women.

As to Supercar, I'm telling there are primary texts which document Ramses children. If you want I can try to email an Egyptologist for examples of some.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Who said all his kutty was black?

"Kutty"? [Confused]
Posts: 7094 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we guys get back to the actual topic or something significantly related to it? [Roll Eyes]
Nay-Sayer
Member # 10566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nay-Sayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
To Nay-Sayer: You are correct that User-maat-re Setep-en-re was one of Ramses II's throne names.

What about the correct pronounciation? As I understand it - the 't' in 'maat' is silent...
Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^Where did you hear this? As I understand it, consonants in the Egyptians language (like all Afrasian languages) are definite, whereas the vowels are loose. A word that ends in a vowel followed by a 't' is grammatically feminine. Thus the concept of Maat (pronounced Ma'at) which means truth/order was also personified as a goddess.
Nay-Sayer
Member # 10566

Member Rated:
Maybe I heard wrong. @least now I know that the 't' in 'maat' isn't silent. Thank you for clearing that up.
Nay-Sayer
Member # 10566

Member Rated:
dp

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com