EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: for the genetists, why do horn african mix always look un-african? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: OT: for the genetists, why do horn african mix always look un-african?
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
West Africans

-

-

-

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Indeed I was generalising about West Africans. It is not uncommon at all to find "straight haired" Africans in Nigeria. These are the Fulani types (and I'm sure some other ethnic groups I'm not aware of). It's just that in most parts of Nigeria, it is the "crunchy" hair type that most people have.

The average man on the street in Lagos, if you asked him, would tell you that the girl in the picture below is "mixed race" (presuming some Arab/Fulani/Hausa mixture).

-

But then again, the Fulanis are instrumental in spreading these rumors. They tend to believe they are "mixed" also.

I find it fascinating how people from Guyana would have the exact same hairtype as some Fulanis of Nigeria. The girl pictured above has the *exact* same skin tone and hair-type as my girl's younger sister. It really is a mystery (well not really for me - but I still find the phenomenon fascinating).

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Science cannot be substituted by hearsay; rather, it tests one's ability to methodologically present material that is falsifiable, subject to scrutiny.

*As a matter of simple geography, west Africa comprises all that lies on the westward section of the continent; neither coastal northwest Africa, nor sub-Saharan west Africa limits what is west African.

*The individuals in the images presented are Malians.

*There is nothing remotely extraordinary about the skin pigmentations of these individuals, with respect to the sub-Saharan African continuum. If there is, a scientific demonstration of how so, would be in order.

*What specific long-held Fulani oral traditions relay that they are "mixed"; that is -- "mixed" in what sense? It goes without saying, that this is the 21st century; we all ought to be able to look beyond long scientifically-shattered and dead 19th century-conceived anthropological constructs.

*The urge to stereotype is precisely the sort of dogmatic mentality that motivated the creation of the "Forest Negro" archetype which was artificially confined to a geography as its only authentic habitat, that it could not ideally transcend -- aka sub-Saharan Africa, which is yet another bogus idealized concept -- i.e. short of simply meaning "below the Sahara", wherein any reality that otherwise didn't accomodate the idealization, was simply explained off as having come about through the agent of foreign transmission.

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no way that anyone can reason with a person who not only hates his own women (Nigerian) and says openly and proudly that he likes white women and extremely light women.

The boy refers to African hair that he doesn't like (ie. thinks is not straight enough for him) derogatorily as "crunchy".

This numbskull is the most pathetic creature to ever post on this forum.

But what else would one expect from a supposedly grown ass man who listens to "hip hop".

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at nape of the girl's neck. It's not straight.
She doesn't have naturally straight hair. Naturally
straight hair isn't wooly anywhere at the root.

Fulani do not have straight hair. Fulani make a big
fuss about their hair and spend inordinate amounts
of time tending to it in nearly constant braiding and
conditioning. It's a pursuit of beauty, a main ethos among them.

quote:
Originally posted by Explorateur:
West Africans

-

As for Fulani's own opinion on mixture their self-written
(not oral) histories will provide all one needs to know
on which ethnies they consider part of their root stocks
and there are more than one kind of Fulani even as
far as their own ages old ideas about their origins go.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mmmkay
Member # 10013

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mmmkay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argyle104:
There is no way that anyone can reason with a person who not only hates his own women (Nigerian) and says openly and proudly that he likes white women and extremely light women.

The boy refers to African hair that he doesn't like (ie. thinks is not straight enough for him) derogatorily as "crunchy".

But what else would one expect from a supposedly grown ass man who listens to "hip hop".

I will admit, you do make some interesting observations sometimes.

How can you be "pro-black" and and yet openly admit to preferring light-skinned women?

quote:

She appears to have a wavy/curly texture of hair.

Its not really "woolly" or "crunchy" as horus would say.

Posts: 426 | From: Cali-for-nia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boofer
Member # 15638

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boofer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that some non-Fulani Nigerians call some Fulani "mixed" or "white people." I don't have a primary source for this though.

The girls in the pictures posted look more like Tuaregs than Fulani to me. Imo, Tuaregs resemble more of an intermediate between North African and West Africans. Some Fulani do as well, based on pictures (which i admit is not the best source) and my own perception, but most have more classic stereotypical "Sub-Saharan features" compared to Tuaregs.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There is no way that anyone can reason with a person who not only hates his own women (Nigerian) and says openly and proudly that he likes white women

I DON'T LIKE WHITE WOMEN (ALSO I DON'T "HATE" ANY WOMEN OR ANYONE). IN FACT, I FIND WHITE WOMEN TO BE EXTREMELY UNATTRACTIVE AND LACKING IN "SPICE" AND "COLOUR".

How does that sound? [Smile]

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Look at nape of the girl's neck. It's not straight.

Fulani do not have straight hair. Fulani make a big
fuss about their hair and spend inordinate amounts
of time tending to it in nearly constant braiding and
conditioning. It's a pursuit of beauty, a main ethos among them.

quote:
Originally posted by Explorateur:
West Africans

-

As for Fulani's own opinion on mixture their self-written
(not oral) histories will provide all one needs to know
on which ethnies they consider part of their root stocks
and there are more than one kind of Fulani even as
far as their own ages old ideas about their origins go.

True Dat.

I said "straight hair" for lack of a better word. I'm sure you understand the point I'm trying to make in the difference between hairtypes. Shall I call it "Indian hair" since it is common among Indians?

My boy Othman B. Tofa is right here, right now (I'm sure you've heard of his father - he's a BIG MAN in Nigeria) and he insists that he has Arab admixture.

What can I say, I can't tell him who he is! [Big Grin]

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mmmkay:

quote:

She appears to have a wavy/curly texture of hair.

Its not really "woolly" or "crunchy" as horus would say.

"Crunchy" hair is my hair type which is the most common type of Black African hair and I don't have anything against it. What exactly is derogatory about the word "Crunchy"? I picked that word in fact with the opposite intent.

FACT: When I rub my hair with my hands, there is a crunchy sound. It is not so with "wavy" or "straight" hair.

"Wavy" would be more appropriate for the hairtype I've been referring to as "Straight". (I stand corrected).

My words may be inaccurate but I'm sure those who have a brain have already figured out the point I'm trying to get across.

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

How can you be "pro-black" and and yet openly admit to preferring light-skinned women?

You know, Mmmkay you're alright but you're a cheeky cunt sometimes.

When did I *ever* say I liked white women? I generally don't say I don't like white women so as not to sound rude but fact is - white women do nothing for me. FACT: I find them repulsive most times. I'm sorry.

I might prefer (Lamb) Balangu to (Beef) Suya, but how does that imply that I like Chicken at all? [Wink]

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insults deleted - Henu

[ 29. December 2008, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Henu ]

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Insults deleted - Henu

[ 29. December 2008, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Henu ]

Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Explorer:
*Science cannot be substituted by hearsay; rather, it tests one's ability to methodologically present material that is falsifiable, subject to scrutiny.

*As a matter of simple geography, west Africa comprises all that lies on the westward section of the continent; neither coastal northwest Africa, nor sub-Saharan west Africa limits what is west African.

*The individuals in the images presented are Malians.

*There is nothing remotely extraordinary about the skin pigmentations of these individuals, with respect to the sub-Saharan African continuum. If there is, a scientific demonstration of how so, would be in order.

*What specific long-held Fulani oral traditions relay that they are "mixed"; that is -- "mixed" in what sense? It goes without saying, that this is the 21st century; we all ought to be able to look beyond long scientifically-shattered and dead 19th century-conceived anthropological constructs.

*The urge to stereotype is precisely the sort of dogmatic mentality that motivated the creation of the "Forest Negro" archetype which was artificially confined to a geography as its only authentic habitat, that it could not ideally transcend -- aka sub-Saharan Africa, which is yet another bogus idealized concept -- i.e. short of simply meaning "below the Sahara", wherein any reality that otherwise didn't accomodate the idealization, was simply explained off as having come about through the agent of foreign transmission.

Understood.

Admittedly, I need to see a lot more Africa for a better perspective.

Mmmkay
Member # 10013

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mmmkay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Herukhuti:
quote:
quote:

When did I *ever* say I liked white women? I generally don't say I don't like white women so as not to sound rude but fact is - white women do nothing for me. FACT: I find them repulsive most times. I'm sorry.

I might prefer (Lamb) Balangu to (Beef) Suya, but how does that imply that I like Chicken at all? [Wink]

I don't really pay attention to argyle, but he's a entertaining and occasionally observant troll.

Though I did'nt appreciate that "cheeky cunt" comment I see now. But I didn't mean white, just lighter skinned.

Its cool. [Cool] I ain't hatin on you my dude. [Big Grin] Were cool.

Posts: 426 | From: Cali-for-nia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't really pay attention to argyle, but he's a entertaining and occasionally observant troll.

Though I did'nt appreciate that "cheeky cunt" comment I see now. But I didn't mean white, just lighter skinned.

Its cool. [Cool] I ain't hatin on you my dude. [Big Grin] Were cool.

You're obviously trying to show&prove you're better than I am at subliminal patronization. You win. [Cool]

Now get off my... [Big Grin]

Mmmkay
Member # 10013

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mmmkay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
]You're obviously trying to show&prove you're better than I am at subliminal patronization. You win. [Cool]

Nah I'm just tryin to squash needless beef.

We need to stay on page (?)

BTW I was never on your (nutz).

So lets call it a night.

[Cool]

Member # 11484

Rate Member
^ Come on Dude, you're ma boy. There's never no beef. I never said you were on my nutz. [Big Grin]
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^ Indeed I was generalising about West Africans. It is not uncommon at all to find "straight haired" Africans in Nigeria. These are the Fulani types (and I'm sure some other ethnic groups I'm not aware of). It's just that in most parts of Nigeria, it is the "crunchy" hair type that most people have.

The average man on the street in Lagos, if you asked him, would tell you that the girl in the picture below is "mixed race" (presuming some Arab/Fulani/Hausa mixture).

-

But then again, the Fulanis are instrumental in spreading these rumors. They tend to believe they are "mixed" also.

I find it fascinating how people from Guyana would have the exact same hairtype as some Fulanis of Nigeria. The girl pictured above has the *exact* same skin tone and hair-type as my girl's younger sister. It really is a mystery (well not really for me - but I still find the phenomenon fascinating).

Yeah, i find it fascinating too when i see Africans who look just like Afro Americans and others in the diaspora over here.

I saw an Afro-Mexican babe who looks like a few African ladies i've seen posted on here (mostly a few 'Somalis' but not just East Africans).

I've seen pictures posted particularly of alleged West Africans who look very similar to friends, fam, and me. This one picture matches my brother dead on. Not to mention i've met a few and basically only the accent and foreign [a subtle stranger (don't ask [Big Grin] )] demeaner give it away.

Of course, often what we take in on peoples we take in from a left-brain, divisive, either/or type perspective which could be why most people don't seem to easily grasp the fact that race doesn't exist as a biological entity in today's humans. When we start using our right brains (i'm right-brained [Cool] but just apply my self to retain specific facts discussed here) things start to clear up.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boofer:
I think there are two big problems with the question:

1. Your own perception of Somali vs. "other" traits/phenotypes

2. The fact that you're assuming what the parents look like.

The only problem is that those people are not mix Africans from the horn. They are not mix Africans at all. I can't believe people fell for this.
Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think part of the problem is that people do not realize that the Fulani are a HUGE ethnic group. The ones in the North are similar to some Tuaregs an d indeed have some mixture like some Tuareg groups. This mixture being intra African as well as non African. The point being that African features are so diverse that mixture is the norm among African groups. The main issue some people are concerned about are what 'features' are indigenous to Africa. Well, pretty much all of them, except white skin. So trying to find a non African source for certain African features, other than white skin, is primarily the result of ignorance. Human features and feature diversity are the OLDEST in Africa and it is FROM those features that LIGHT SKIN and WHITES get theirs from, not the other way around. The ONLY feature whites can give Africans is primarily WHITE SKIN. Thin lips are indigenous to Africa, thin noses, narrow faces and so on. THAT diversity does NOT come from Non Africans.

Anyway, most of the Fulanis I have seen look like this, and these images are from across Ghana, Nigeria and Mali:

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/_leonid/417164427/

Mali(?):
 -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandals/421646458/

Niger:
 -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nygus/342987249/

Mali:
 -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/_leonid/215693221/

Mali:
 -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30462932@N07/2855859322/

Nigeria:
 -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abuja/172575198/

To me the most distinguishing feature about Fulani people is the nose. Nothing else says Fulani to me more than this one feature. Again, it is simply an example of the diversity of African features as opposed to some NON AFRICAN legacy.

None of these features are non African, especially when you realize they originate in East Africa:

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nygus/127678344/in/set-72157594210229942/

-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nygus/127676250/in/set-72157594210229942/

Such features originate in Africa and can be found in all PARTS of Africa. So how on earth can they be claimed as non African? They can't. If you understand that ALL human diversity starts in Africa, then you will understand why such a statement is ludicrous. All humans, including whites, get most of their features as a result of being descended from black Africans, not vice versa.

And OF COURSE African Americans would look like Africans......... Duh.

African Americans have a WIDE range of diverse features that can be found all across Africa and it is BECAUSE they are African. How else did they get their features?

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug M, I don't see much distinction in the Fulani nose. I think what sets Fulani aparts is their language and culture. If the attire, dressing, adornments, hairstyle and tattoos/markings are remove they wouldn't be distinguishable or distinctive. 'Certain' fulani groups look distinctive such as the Woodabe. The Tuareg don't look distinctive to me only the so-called mix ones look distinctive.

Africans Americans mainly have Bantu features. Any features outside of that is due to admixture.

Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my eye, the Fulani I have seen all have very similar nose shapes. Of course that shape is not unique to Fulani, but it occurs quite often among them.

African Americans have diverse features and I am not talking about skin color. There is no one type of West African feature and it has nothing to do with being a Bantu. There are Nigerians with aquiline noses and features like East Africans and there are Nigerians with FULL lips and broad noses. There is no one type of West African feature and this is why there is so much diversity among African Americans. Bantu is a linguistic group that is or was spoken among hundreds of various ethnic groups in Africa. Bantu has absolutely nothing to do with African features as it is a language not a phenotype.

African Americans look like Africans because they are Africans. Period. African Americans are diverse just like Africans are diverse. Bantu has nothing to do with it.

The only feature that is due to admixture in African Americans is white skin, because that is truly the only feature that is not indigenous to Africa.

West Africa and Sub Saharan Africa has hundreds of ethnic groups, hundreds of types of features and hundreds of types of cultures. That is a broad and diverse population of people from which African Americans derive their features from. A good example of this is Bernie Mac, Michael Jordan and Samuel Jackson. NONE of them have broad stereotypical Bantu features.

Nigerians
 -

(Fulani of Nigeria)
 -
http://flickr.com/photos/gdstone/17129191/

-

Hausa:
 -

-

http://flickr.com/photos/janchan/sets/1021060/with/47745555/

Ghana:
 -

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Some mixed Africans in the Americas:

Afro Brazilians:

-

-

-

-

-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beija-flor/sets/72157594437275578/with/335463126/

They still look pretty much African even if they are mixed.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not disputing there may be post Triangular Trade
African in them but nothing in their features look
out of place for certain Amazonian populations.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

Afro Brazilians:

-

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
quote:
In my eye, the Fulani I have seen all have very similar nose shapes. Of course that shape is not unique to Fulani, but it occurs quite often among them.

African Americans have diverse features and I am not talking about skin color. There is no one type of West African feature and it has nothing to do with being a Bantu. There are Nigerians with aquiline noses and features like East Africans and there are Nigerians with FULL lips and broad noses. There is no one type of West African feature and this is why there is so much diversity among African Americans. Bantu is a linguistic group that is or was spoken among hundreds of various ethnic groups in Africa. Bantu has absolutely nothing to do with African features as it is a language not a phenotype.

African Americans look like Africans because they are Africans. Period. African Americans are diverse just like Africans are diverse. Bantu has nothing to do with it.

The only feature that is due to admixture in African Americans is white skin, because that is truly the only feature that is not indigenous to Africa.

West Africa and Sub Saharan Africa has hundreds of ethnic groups, hundreds of types of features and hundreds of types of cultures. That is a broad and diverse population of people from which African Americans derive their features from. A good example of this is Bernie Mac, Michael Jordan and Samuel Jackson. NONE of them have broad stereotypical Bantu features.

Nigerians
 -

(Fulani of Nigeria)
 -

-

Hausa:
 -

-

Ghana:
 -

It seems like you agreed with me. I have to disagree with the Bantu part. Bantu is not just a language. It is also a ethnic group of people who share similar culture, language, faith and/or religion and phenotype come into play. There is a such thing as a Bantu ethnic group and features/phenotype. Bantus are mainly broad nose, large thick lips, thick rough skin, and short nappy hair. You find these features MOSTLY in Bantu groups. African Americans mainly look like Bantus from Central and Southern Africa. Any phenotype outside of this is due to admixture. Our ancestors was not as diverse when they came to the America on the slave ship. They practically all looked the same. Let's not forget that our ancestors did not have long, flowing hair. It wasn't neither curly, wavy, straight and soft. Americans who have hair like that gets it from admixture. I know Africans have straight, soft, wavy, curly hair but they are not African Americans ancestors so we could not have got it from them.

Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
quote:

quote:

Afro Brazilians:

-

These people look straight out of the Amazon. They look like Amerindians or Indigenous South Americans.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:

quote:

Afro Brazilians:

-

I agree, because they are Amazonians, especially for this particular photo as they look more Amazonian than African.

At the same token they don't look much different than some African mixed populations in Mali and the Sahara.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Bettyboo:
quote:

Nigerians
 -

(Fulani of Nigeria)
 -

-

Hausa:
 -

-

Ghana:
 -

It seems like you agreed with me. I have to disagree with the Bantu part. Bantu is not just a language. It is also a ethnic group of people who share similar culture, language, faith and/or religion and phenotype come into play. There is a such thing as a Bantu ethnic group and features/phenotype. Bantus are mainly broad nose, large thick lips, thick rough skin, and short nappy hair. You find these features MOSTLY in Bantu groups. African Americans mainly look like Bantus from Central and Southern Africa. Any phenotype outside of this is due to admixture. Our ancestors was not as diverse when they came to the America on the slave ship. They practically all looked the same. Let's not forget that our ancestors did not have long, flowing hair. It wasn't neither curly, wavy, straight and soft. Americans who have hair like that gets it from admixture. I know Africans have straight, soft, wavy, curly hair but they are not African Americans ancestors so we could not have got it from them.

And I am saying that you are completely wrong. African Americans have a wide range of features owing to the fact that they come from a wide range of groups across West Africa. And I also disagree because no anthropologist characterizes a single group of Africans as Bantu. If so, please find some up to date studies on these Bantu and the distinct Bantu features that they posses. Such concepts are simply old racist stereotypes propagated in America and Europe that have nothing to do with the TRUE diversity of African people. Africans speaking Bantu languages have a RANGE of features and the broad nose, big lipped variety of Africa is found among ALL African groups from North to South and East to West. Similarly you will also find the thin nosed, thin lipped variety of African in ALL PARTS of Africa. We often focus on East Africa as a place with many people with those types of features, but such features are found ALL ACROSS AFRICA.

African Americans look like Africans and that includes a wide range of African features.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Some Congolese

I guess this is what you mean by stereotypical Bantu:

-

-

-

But all Congolese or Central Africans don't look like that.

-

-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theatrum-belli/sets/72157609118142953/with/3031923530/

-

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Malians:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

http://flickr.com/photos/osvaldo_zoom/sets/72157602139737793/

http://flickr.com/photos/osvaldo_zoom/sets/72157602130593640/

And that is just Mali. Similar diverse features can be found in ALL countries of Africa.

But going back to the title of the thread, if you aren't familiar with the diverse features of Africans, how can one say what features are UN African, other than white skin?

Of course, if you follow the historical racist anthropological typologies of whites, all black Africans have big huge lips and noses, when they don't and never have.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Just an example from South Africa, Bonnie Henna:

-

-

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1710266624/nm1973790

Other south Africans:

-
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:010426_Pano_Kinder_auf_Auto-x.jpg

Omo people Ethiopia:

-

-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlesfred/sets/1188741/with/54848679/

Gondar people Ethiopia:

-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlesfred/sets/1227185/with/56648715/

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Doug M wrote:
quote:

So Doug, if "west" Africans are so diverse in features and they have features that resemble so called "east". Why do you say that only "west" Africans were brought over to the Americas. Wouldn't northern, southern, and eastern have been brought over also?

Why are you once again exhibiting your eurocentric inspired racism onto Africans?

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Bettyboo wrote:
quote:

Now for some scholarship. (see below)

lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/i?pp/PPALL:@field(NUMBER+@band(cph+3a10007))

You have just been discredited and destroyed.

The scholarly documented facts and evidence about African American origins from throughout the entire continent of Africa cannot be wished away with emotional knee-jerk fantasy.

Don't cry Bettyboo. : )

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
To compliment the above scholarly link with even more scholarship, see below. This solidifies the origins of African Americans as being from throughout the entire continent of Africa.

North Africa

google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&suggon=0&as_qdr=all&q=%22slaves+from+northern+africa%22+americas

Berbers

google.com/search?as_q=america&hl=en&suggon=0&num=100&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=berber+slaves&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&cr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=a ny&as_d t=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images]http://www.google.com/search?as_q=america&hl=en&suggon=0&num=100&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=berber+slaves&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&cr=&as_ft=i&as_ filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_oc ct=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

Southern Africans

google.com/search?hl=en&suggon=0&as_q=&as_epq=slaves+from+southern+africa&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_ nlo=&as _nhi=&safe=images

Ethiopians

web.syr.edu/~affellem/napti.html

East Africans

jwsr.ucr.edu/archive/vol5/number1/v5n1r1.php
(east african slaves in new york)

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
More scholarship that cements Bettyboo's scholarly beatdown.

white people
archive.salon.com/books/it/2000/06/15/white_slaves/

West Asians
toptraveldealz.com/bermuda/bermuda-history.html

Turks
[url= http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=%22turkish+slaves%22+america]www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=%22turkish+slaves%22+america[/url]

Indians
google.com/search?as_q=america&hl=en&suggon=0&num=100&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=east+indian+slaves&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&cr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_o cct=any &as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

Japanese
google.com/search?as_q=&hl=en&suggon=0&num=100&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=japanese+slaves&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&cr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as _dt=i&a s_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

Chinese
google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&suggon=0&as_qdr=all&q=+%22chinese+slaves%22+%22latin+america%22&btnG=Search

Persians
google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=%22persian+slaves%22+america]www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=%22persian+slaves%22+america

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Also for those who wish to attain my level of intellect and scholarship, notice that Bettyboo never provides any facts or evidence to support his/her arguments.

His/her posts consist of nothing but adhoc racial fantasies.

This is why I am able to administer scholarly beatdowns to her on a regular basis.

Insult deleted - Henu

[ 29. December 2008, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Henu ]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ As usual, he offers no valid answers, but only links to his 'google searches' instead of actual sources.

Insults deleted - Henu

[ 29. December 2008, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Henu ]

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also for those who wish to attain my level of intellect and scholarship, notice that Bettyboo never provides any facts or evidence to support his/her arguments.

This is why I am able to administer scholarly beatdowns to the imbecille on a regular basis.

Imbecile Im"be*cile
Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Indeed, the self-contradiction is evident.

Oh, and...
quote:
argyle104 wrote:

Also for those who wish to attain my level of intellect and scholarship,...

-
ROTFLMAOH @ this poor fool's delusion!

Insult deleted - Henu

[ 29. December 2008, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Henu ]

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Djehuti wrote:
quote:
no valid answers, but only links to his 'google searches' instead of actual sources
So you're saying the exerpt below from the research that was provided in my scholarly links is a lie?

History of Bermuda
"In 1509, the Portuguese started to trade Arabian slaves because aside from ridding from those people, they also gained profit."

Now is your chance to refute the above with facts and evidence that directly refutes what the scholars have carefully researched.

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Djehuti wrote:
quote:

And you also believe the excerpt below from the scholarship in the links posted is a lie also right?

"With these findings documented in 18th-century American newspapers, Indian Americans, or South Asian Americans, or Desis, as many of them like to call themselves, stand on the cusp of rewriting their history by acknowledging the full complement of their heritage—including that of slaves in America."

Djehuti, since you believe the scholar is lying please provide your evidence that refutes him.

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
According to Djehuti the below is a lie.

lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/i?pp/PPALL:@field(NUMBER+@band(cph+3a10007))

What is your evidence against it Djehuti?

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

So you're saying the exerpt below from the research that was provided in my scholarly links is a lie?

History of Bermuda
"In 1509, the Portuguese started to trade Arabian slaves because aside from ridding from those people, they also gained profit."

Now is your chance to refute the above with facts and evidence that directly refutes what the scholars have carefully researched.

LOL Okay so you actually provide a quote. That's a start. Now how about the source or author. Or do you not know how to properly cite information?? My point is if you're gonna cite sources you're gonna have to do better than give links of 'google searches'. That was pretty much your M.O. on this forum, and when you're not doing that, you make ad-hominem attacks. All the while you give compliments to yourself as being "intellectual" and "scholarly" yet you even criticize true scholars like Rasol! ROTFLOL

Insults deleted - Henu

[ 29. December 2008, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Henu ]

Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nigerians
 -

(Fulani of Nigeria)
 -

-

Hausa:
 -

-

Ghana:
 -

And I am saying that you are completely wrong. African Americans have a wide range of features owing to the fact that they come from a wide range of groups across West Africa. And I also disagree because no anthropologist characterizes a single group of Africans as Bantu. If so, please find some up to date studies on these Bantu and the distinct Bantu features that they posses. Such concepts are simply old racist stereotypes propagated in America and Europe that have nothing to do with the TRUE diversity of African people. Africans speaking Bantu languages have a RANGE of features and the broad nose, big lipped variety of Africa is found among ALL African groups from North to South and East to West. Similarly you will also find the thin nosed, thin lipped variety of African in ALL PARTS of Africa. We often focus on East Africa as a place with many people with those types of features, but such features are found ALL ACROSS AFRICA.

African Americans look like Africans and that includes a wide range of African features.

I am saying that I am completely right! Bantu is not just a language; it consists of ethnic groups that share the same language, culture, religion/faith, food, music, and phenotype. Majority of African-American comes from Central and Southern African mainly from these Bantu groups. MOST bantus have thick, rough skin, broad nose, large lips, and short nappy hair. African-Americans ancestors weren't as diverse in looks. They all practically looked the same - sharing the same phenotype and features. Any African-American with straight, narrow, thin nose and soft straight, wavy, or curly hair got it from admixture.
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
quote:

This is why I am able to administer scholarly beatdowns to her on a regular basis.

Now you know, you never administer a scholarly beatdown, at least not to me.

[ 29. December 2008, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Henu ]

Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Insults deleted - Henu

[ 29. December 2008, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Henu ]

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
I am saying that I am completely right! Bantu is not just a language; it consists of ethnic groups that share the same language, culture, religion/faith, food, music, and phenotype. Majority of African-American comes from Central and Southern African mainly from these Bantu groups. MOST bantus have thick, rough skin, broad nose, large lips, and short nappy hair. African-Americans ancestors weren't as diverse in looks. They all practically looked the same - sharing the same phenotype and features. Any African-American with straight, narrow, thin nose and soft straight, wavy, or curly hair got it from admixture.

You have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about. African Americans come from all over Africa and the African Diaspora in the Americas. They have diverse looks and features. Bantu is not an anthropological term used in ANY sense other than as a language. It is not used to define phenotype, culture or anything else. In fact, you will be hard pressed to find much about Bantu in any book of African cultures. What you WILL find is the description of VARIOUS groups with various cultures and some of whom who speak Bantu languages.

Like I said, please provide scholarly sources for your definition of Bantu as being more than a linguistic grouping. You will find none.

Case in point, here are some South Africans, where is the BANTU features among them:

-

-

-

-

-

-

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricoons/sets/72157610950898054/?page=6

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Insults deleted - Henu

Woe, woe, hold up now! Either you mistook my reply to Argyle as a reply to you, or your just being a tad bit defesensive about Argyle as he's your boyfriend.

Insults/trolling deleted - Henu

[ 29. December 2008, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Henu ]

Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

You have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about. African Americans come from all over Africa and the African Diaspora in the Americas. They have diverse looks and features. Bantu is not an anthropological term used in ANY sense other than as a language. It is not used to define phenotype, culture or anything else. In fact, you will be hard pressed to find much about Bantu in any book of African cultures. What you WILL find is the description of VARIOUS groups with various cultures and some of whom who speak Bantu languages.

Like I said, please provide scholarly sources for your definition of Bantu as being more than a linguistic grouping. You will find none.

Case in point, here are some South Africans, where is the BANTU features among them:

-

-

-

-

-

-

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricoons/sets/72157610950898054/?page=6

YOU have NO IDEA of what you're talking about. African-Americans descendants derived mainly from Central and Southern African practically from Bantu groups. Bantu is NOT just a LANGUAGE; it is also ethnic groups that share the same/similar language, culture, food, music, art, dance, cultural dress/attire, and phenotype. African-Americans ancestors was not as diverse; they practically all looked the same. Most Bantu groups have thick, rough skin, broad nose, extra large thick lips, short nappy hair, and very dark, black skin. That is how African-Americans ancestors looked. Any African-Americans who have features that contradict that is certainly mix. African-Americans with long, flowing soft, curly, or straight hair is mix. African-Americans who have a straight, narrow, thin nose is mix. Our ancestors did NOT have those features.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com