EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » ot: Saharan rock art (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ot: Saharan rock art
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

This particular fresco which, though strictly Saharan, has a Chadic or
maybe central and east African feel about it. Some say she is Auset
(Isis). The provence of this art piece is Inaouanrhat, Tassili N Ajjer in
the middle of the Sahara of southeast Algeria. A larger size repro is in
Henri Lhote

The Search for the Tassili Frescoes

New York: EP Dutton, 1959

Me, I think the figure is of a legendary or mythological
woman or goddess. Her pose suggests she may be
fleeing. More likely she is, perhaps, in a ritual dance.

She appears to have no hands or maybe her hands
are covered. Whatever. Toward the wrist end of her
forearms is some kind of meshed and woven covering.
They are tied, clamp-like, at the ends. The right hand
covering has a single long thread. The left hand covering
has four threads 2/3 as long as the right hand thread.

She also has meshed anklets. Her armlets have fiber threads
hanging from them and her skirt likewise is composed of
fibrous threading, not at all appearing to be a cloth.
Between the skirt and the belly are two strings of beads(?).
Her knees are wrapped in a material similar to that of the
armlets but without any strand attachment. The left knee
wrapping does has something attached to it that extends in
length down to the anklet. It appears to be solid and may
be cloth or leather.

That the figure is female is attested by the slightly
protuberent rounded belly, no hint of a penis seen
behind the skirt, and two long thin breasts. The breasts
are profusely scarified. Scarification is also evident
on the shoulders, the sides or chest to the stomach, and
the right leg. There is some stratified marking on the
right thigh that doesn't appear to be raised bumps of
scarification. The left leg may be missing scars because
they were only raised on the outer side of the leg.

The absence of hands or their covering is one piece of
evidence of the legedary or mythological significance
of the figure. Even more so is the prescence of horns
either growing directly from the head or as part of a
headress. Then there is some sort of aura looking part
of the drawing of the head that composes part of the
forehead nose and upper lip. This "aura", mask, or
headressing completely surrounds the short Afro style
hair and sits up over the crown of the head above the
hair. It's possible that what's taken for horns, actually
represents something else that is associated with what looks
like a field of grain or grass stretched between them. This
"field" adds to the legendary/mythological interpretation and
has something represented by medium sized dots under it that
fills up the space between the "horns", borders the bottom of
the "horns", and borders the face, neck, and collar of the figure.

The painting was executed on the wall of a completely
isolated shelter indicating a sacred space. There are
other figures superimposed on, in front of, and under
the raised right leg of the main figure. These smaller
figures drawn above the knee level of the main figure
appear to be mostly male. The vast majority of them have
a bushy Afro and a goatee beard. Two of them have very
short hair or are bald. Four of them, though in a
fleeing stance, are headless! One set of three men are
armlocked in perhaps a dance step? Alongside them are
three bushy Afro figures with broad hips, thick thighs,
and possibly small breasts, most likely they are female
and a part of the dance. All these little figures are
nude.

Below the knee level is another scene. Another female
depicted in larger size than those already described
but smaller than the main figure, also appears to be
a legedary or mythological personage. Only her head,
arms, and torso are drawn. She has a skirt, breast, side
and stomach scars, armlets, strands dangling from the
right arm, and a headress or nimbus. Surrounding her
is what looks like a rainbow. She is approached by
two small figures, a female walking with the right arm
upraised, and a goateed male in a position of obeisance,
legs spread, proffering a bowl, perhaps containing an
offering of some type.

The entire scene may relate a single motif or story or
set of beliefs held at least 6000 years ago. The paintings
are executed in the style of the Masks period. There are
paintings very similar in style to the "Horned Goddess" in
Sefar. One such has a waistband with clothlike or leather
material hanging from it like the Horned Goddess has on her
left knee. It also has the same type anklets. Another shows
pubescent females with body, thigh, and leg scars.

[ 30. April 2007, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Horus_Den_1 ]

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note: she's been dubbed "White Lady"

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Please call me MIDOGBE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "White Lady" nickname actually comes from its putative resemblance with the "White Lady" of Brandberg, Namibia, noticed by BREUIL in the 30's:
 -
 -

Could you please tell us who identified this character with Isis and why? Did the people who advocated this identification claim this as being the result of the bogus early theory of influence of Egypt and Eurasia on Saharan Art or the other way around?

Also, I am not very knowledgeable about modern "Chadic" culture...What in the painting made you think it looks "Chadic"?

Did you identify other cultural traits from specific to other recent Ethnic/Linguistic groups as well?

What do you think about the relevance of the comparatism between Kemetic and Saharan Art?

Posts: 307 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are more of your so-called "red" people. LOL:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ 18. June 2007, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Horus_Den_1 ]

Posts: 26237 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are no native white people of Africa, and there are no white people in the paleolithic anywhere.

Leucoderm 'white' people are the result of recent mutations which disable the melanin receptors, this process occured during the ice ages and reached it's most extreme among the depgimented European Nordes who are the major outliers in terms of skin color amongst human populations.

-

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dr. Nina JABLONSKI

From the reconstructions we have been able to do (using molecular and other
comparative data), darkly pigmented skin was the original state for ALL members
of the genus Homo
(that is, for our lineage beginning about 2 million years
ago). It is impossible to say exactly how dark this was, but it was probably
much darker than a "medium hue" and **approached those seen in equatorial Africa today.**

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
There are no native white people of Africa, and there are no white people in the paleolithic anywhere.

Leucoderm 'white' people are the result of recent mutations which disable the melanin receptors, this process occured during the ice ages and reached it's most extreme among the depgimented European Nordes who are the major outliers in terms of skin color amongst human populations.

-

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Where are no native white people of Africa, and there are no white people in the paleolithic anywhere.

-

If white people are the result of mutations during the Ice Age, why are the Eskimoes brown skin, eventhough they live in extreme cold?

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Please call me MIDOGBE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Saharan art" anyone?
Posts: 307 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If white people are the result of mutations during the Ice Age, why are the Eskimoes brown skin, eventhough they live in extreme cold?
People with depigmented skin have an easier time synthesizing vitamin D. Since a large percentage of the Inuit diet is fish, which is rich in vitamin D, the Inuit haven't lost as much melanin as Europeans.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean literally there are no people with black or white skin? The Sudanese and Wolof aren't BLACK to you? I've seen many whites with pale skin. I don't know what you're looking at.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ebony Allen:
What do you mean literally there are no people with black or white skin? The Sudanese and Wolof aren't BLACK to you? I've seen many whites with pale skin. I don't know what you're looking at.

Evergreen Writes:

What is the melanin level that seperates Black skin from Brown skin? What is the melanin level that distinguishes White skin from Olive skin? I eagerly await your answer.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nice Vidadavida *sigh*
Member # 13372

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nice Vidadavida *sigh*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are very pretty pictures, thanks Alktruri [Smile]
Posts: 336 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
quote:

-

THE EVOLUTION OF HUMAN SKIN AND SKIN COLOR
by Nina G. Jablonski

One of the most interesting aspects of this investigation was the examination of groups that did not precisely fit the predicted skin-color pattern. An example is the Inuit people of Alaska and northern Canada.

The Inuit exhibit skin color that is some-what darker than would be predicted given the UV levels at their latitude. This is probably caused by two factors. The first is that they are relatively recent inhabitants of these climes, having mi-grated to North America only roughly 5,000 years ago. The second is that the traditional diet of the Inuit is extremely high infoods containing vitamin D, especially fish and marine mammals. This vitamin D–rich diet offsets the problem that they would otherwise have with vitamin D synthesis in their skin at northern latitudes and permits them to *retain more darkly pigmented skin.*

Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
quote:

-

THE EVOLUTION OF HUMAN SKIN AND SKIN COLOR
by Nina G. Jablonski

The first is that they are relatively recent inhabitants of these climes, having mi-grated to North America only roughly 5,000 years ago.

Evergreen Writes:

This is also consistent with the migration of Oceanic Asians to the America's and the finds of these Oceanic Asian phenetic types in early Olmec graves.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T-rex is correct about why many Inuit retain dark complexions.

Other than that, this thread has also been diverted from its main topic into that of "human skin color" which our resident troll had already been defeated and debased by Jablonski.

Either way, indigenous peoples of the Sahara have always been 'black'.

Posts: 26237 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note to moderators

I often disagree with fellow forum members. Yet,
I don't request their banishment. Disruption is
the name of Jaime's game. None are so blind save
they who can't see that. Neither does suggesting
ignoring the banned work. The proof? Why this very
thread!

Jaime does one thing, comment on colour. To be
precise, anti-black comments. When he did that,
what happened? Even though this thread began
garnering subject matter posts, it was diverted
to another colour conversation.

And who caused it? A person who loudly brays on
the irrelevance of colour and who will, after
broaching the colour issue, now cry that all ES
AE&E does is talk colour.

Nobody likes a heavy handed moderator but wake up.
This guy is clearly disruptive, diverting the forum
to his agenda by hijacking others' threads seldom
starting his own.

How long will you tolerate this and force us to
be captive to it?

--------------------

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I wrote that piece a few years ago and now don't have
the index cards noting who drew the Isis analogy or why.
Probably, as you said, it resulted from pro-Egypt
diffusionists from back in the day before the "Bird Lady"
paintings were disclosed as fraudulent.

The scarification pattern most closely matched that
of what I've seen on Chadic female bodies hence my
call on a Chadic feel.

I can't articulate what about the entire scene (which
isn't in the c

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I wrote that piece a few years ago and now don't have

call on a Chadic feel.

isn't in the cheezy image I had no choice but to use)
culturally resembles which cenral/east African ethny.

I never given any thought to similarity of Saharan
and Kemitic art because frankly I don't see any.

I'm very interested in your opinions about this painting
and hope you get to look at a quality repro. Also
what
do propose in answer to your last two questions?

quote:
Originally posted by Gedegbe:

Could you please tell us who identified this character with Isis and why? Did the people who advocated this identification claim this as being the result of the bogus early theory of influence of Egypt and Eurasia on Saharan Art or the other way around?

Also, I am not very knowledgeable about modern "Chadic" culture...What in the painting made you think it looks "Chadic"?

Did you identify other cultural traits from specific to other recent Ethnic/Linguistic groups as well?

What do you think about the relevance of the comparatism between Kemetic and Saharan Art?

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Some of the Saharan rock art has also been identified as Fulani nomads by certain facial features and hairstyles as well as cattle customs which are still practiced today.
Quetzalcoatl
Member # 12742

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quetzalcoatl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Evergreen Writes:

This is also consistent with the migration of Oceanic Asians to the America's and the finds of these Oceanic Asian phenetic types in early Olmec graves.

Can you provide me with a direct quote and a citation for this? I thought the idea was that the Olmecs were Mande and/or Egyptian.
Posts: 833 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
The Horned Goddess fresco presents nothing remotely
similar to pastoral Fulani. Ba analyzed other pieces
that in fact do show that Fulani herder practices
stretch back to the time of a green Sahara.
http://ennedi.free.fr/abaniora.htm

This poor quality repro, often dubbed "Peul Girls," has
facial features that are just as much Soninke or Malinke
as Fulbe.

Let's not be hastily anachronistic. Fulani, and other later
sahel ethnies, aren't depicted in early Saharan rock art.

The people on the rock art would very much later
branch off and recombine to compose the peoples
founding the sahel and savanna states.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
This is the Bird Head Goddesses fake that mislead many
an archaeologist, ethnologer, and historian.
 -
Much to his credit Lhote removed it from later
editions of his book. He admitted one of his art
crew fabricated it.

Ausar, can you dig up the exchange we had on this
after you brought it to my attention years ago?

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
This is one of the prime Saharan painting's Ba used.

-  -

The "calf rope" used to divide a pastoral Fulani
encampment is very noticeable. Evidence like this
show that Fulani have local antecedence that far
outweighs any distant infusions or accretions.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I remember discussing this one with an Amazigh friend.
She pointed out to me that maybe one of the "women"
may really be a man (beard) and that one of the ladies
is an Amazon (she has a bow).

-  -

-

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
 -

--------------------

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
 -
Copy of rock paintings at Sefar, Tassili n'Ajjer,
by Henri Lhote. Currently on display at the Musée de
l'homme in Paris, the 6,000-year-old paintings show
human and animal life in the early Algerian Sahara

Palimpsests of a lost paradise

Two Paris exhibitions reveal the variety and multi-layered
history of the Algerian Sahara, writes David Tresilian

With more than 80 per cent of its land area covered by desert, visitors to Algeria have
traditionally confined themselves to the country's coastal regions. Yet, as twin
exhibitions on the Algerian Sahara in Paris confirm, the desert, though inhospitable, is not
uniform, and it contains the remains of some of Africa's oldest cultures, making parts of it at
least a kind of vast museum open to the sky.

The two exhibitions, "Tassili d'Algérie -- Mémoires de pierre" at the Musée de l'homme
and "Saharas d'Algérie" at the Muséum national d'histoire naturelle, present the prehistoric
rock paintings and engravings from the Tassili n'Ajjer area of the Algerian Sahara near the
country's borders with Libya and Niger, placing them in the context of the Sahara as a whole.

Tassili
means plateau in tamahaq, the language of the local Touareg people, and the
Tassili n'Ajjer is one of two vast desert plateaux in the south-east of Algeria, the other
being the nearby Tassili Hoggar, containing one of the most important groupings of prehistoric
rock art in the world and recording the climatic changes, animal migrations and development of
human life in the Sahara from around 6,000 BC to the first centuries of the present era.

The rock images, thought to number some 15,000, were discovered in the early 20th century by
French archaeologists working in Algeria, and they were first displayed outside Algeria in
1958 at a Paris exhibition of full-size copies made by archaeologist Henri Lhote, according to
André Malraux "one of the most striking exhibitions of the half century". The present
exhibition presents a selection from these copies, starting with rock engravings from the
so-called "bubaline" period around 6,000 BC, which show animals that are now confined to more
southerly temperate zones of Africa, such as elephants, giraffes and rhinoceros, indicating
that at this early date this now extremely arid area would have enjoyed a quite different
climate. Later images, and those most beautifully copied by Lhote and his team, are
the rock paintings from the "round head" and "bovidian" periods, that show human figures
and animals painted in strong, dark colours, often in bizarre and impossible arrangements.

The earliest of these paintings from the "round head" period, so-called because of the human
figures' rounded heads which are geometrically decorated but without features, show early
agriculture and animal husbandry, again featuring elephants, giraffes and early
domesticated animals. The human figures, in dark ochre with pointillist decoration, float above
and within such scenes, some of them being as much as six metres long and surrounded by other
floating or "swimming" figures in attitudes that are sometimes difficult to interpret.
Later paintings adopt a more naturalistic style, showing scenes of daily
life, as well as scenes showing animal husbandry and herds of cows and other animals. At this
time the Saharan climate would have been humid but not tropical, ideally suited to this type of
husbandry and similar to that found in parts of sub-Saharan Africa today. From 4,000 BC on the
climate became progressively more arid, with desertification pushing the local populations
further south,
and later paintings record the introduction of the horse into the region
around 2,000 BC, and finally of the camel in around 200 BC.

These final images, called "cameline" because of their subject matter, record the beginnings of
the nomadic lifestyle associated with today's Touareg populations in Algeria, Mali and Niger,
as increasing desertification and the disappearance of previous eco-systems favoured
the development of regional trading caravans and nomadism. Camels, now associated firmly with
north Africa in the popular imagination, originated in Central Asia, but they swiftly
proved their worth in the now arid Sahara. Such images, the exhibition suggests, superimposed on
those drawn or painted thousands of years earlier, still preserve the memory of an earlier
Sahara of animal and vegetable abundance, the tropical climate then supporting what was later
to become something of a "lost paradise".

"Saharas d'Algérie", the parallel exhibition at the Muséum national d'histoire naturelle, across
Paris at the Jardin des plantes, explains the geography and animal and human populations of
the present Algerian Sahara, drawing attention not only to the region's geographical diversity,
with its vast reg and hamada, rocky plateaux uniform in every direction as far
as the eye can see, erg, or sand seas, tassili and scattered oases, but also to its
different human populations and how these have adapted themselves to the harsh environmental
conditions. The exhibition focusses on the Algerian Touareg, former nomads now mostly
settled around Tamanrasset to the south of the Tassili n'Ajjer plateau and in Djanet, the
nearest settlement to it. Called Kel-Tagoulmoust, or the "veiled people", on
account of elaborate turbans worn to protect themselves from the heat, the Touareg have now
found a new role as guides to the growing numbers of tourists visiting Tassili n'Ajjer and
Tassili Hoggar, both Algerian national parks.

Saharas d'Algérie also presents materials on the desert's many oases, the best known of which for
foreign visitors is still likely to be Biskra in the north, described by André Gide in his novel
L'Immoraliste. Gide, like most of his contemporaries, did not venture to the oasis
settlements further south, which include the M'Zab Valley, 400km directly south of Algiers,
classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with the Tassili n'Ajjer plateau. This oasis,
containing seven towns, among them the fortified city of Béni Isguen founded in the 11th century,
would once have played a significant role as a staging post on caravan routes across the Sahara
and from sub-Saharan Africa to the Mediterranean. Today, the Sahara's main product
is not dates but oil and gas, and immense pipelines run from the gas field of Hassi R'Mel,
north of M'Zeb and one of the largest in the world, to the Mediterranean coast from where gas
is shipped to Europe. An asphalt road has linked Algiers to Tamanrasset since 1978, and more
recently a similar road has reached Djanet, leading the Touareg to abandon their camels for lorries.

It is a matter for regret that the Musée de l'homme exhibition, presenting the splendid
copies made by Lhote of the Tassili n'Ajjer rock paintings to the public for the first time since
1958, has been able to present so few of them: according to exhibition material Lhote made
hundreds of such copies, but only a handful of these are on display. More distressing still,
however, is the condition of the palais de Chaillot itself, now a fast-deteriorating and
empty shell following the removal of the museum's collections to the Louvre prior to the
opening of the new Musée des arts premiers on the Quai Branly in 2005.

The future of this landmark building on the place du Trocadéro is apparently under debate.
But at present its condition makes a depressing introduction to an otherwise fascinating exhibition.

"Tassili d'Algérie: Mémoires de pierre", Musée de l'homme, palais de Chaillot, Paris. 21 May
2003 to 5 January 2004; "Saharas d'Algérie, les paradis inattendus", Muséum national d'histoire
naturelle, Jardin des plantes, Paris. 30 April to 12 October 2003.

© Copyright Al-Ahram Weekly. All rights reserved

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Here's that "Peul Girls" piece I was talking about
earlier. Plenty Malien who aren't Peul look like they do.

-

--------------------

Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
[QB] I wrote that piece a few years ago and now don't have

I have it (from a note by serious and apparently relatively unbiased French scholar MUZZOLINI)that this paintings were a joke from his crew to make LHOTE believe that XVIIIth Dynasty's artists created this paintings in Algeria, not that it was ideologically driven. Do you know more about it?

quote:
call on a Chadic feel.

isn't in the cheezy image I had no choice but to use)
culturally resembles which cenral/east African ethny.

Is this the kind of scarifications or their repartition on the body that made you feel the character looked "Chadic"? I'm saying that because I've seen several Vodun/Orisha priests with this kind of spotted scarifications.

Also still referring to religious Bight of Benin people, I'm wondering if the spots on the character's skin aren't painted spots rather than scarifications. What do you think? (I'll try to take a look at the books I've seen these pics for more precise infos asap)

quote:

I never given any thought to similarity of Saharan
and Kemitic art because frankly I don't see any.
I'm very interested in your opinions about this painting
and hope you get to look at a quality repro. Also
what
do propose in answer to your last two questions?

Actually, that's not that I don't see any similarities between them, but rather than I don't know how relevant they are!

When I started to compare arts at a layman level (as I still do), I noticed some common features between Dahomey, Saharan , Kemetic arts that were mostly dealing with style of human representations (i.e.the stereotypical Ancient Egyptian posture, important characters being depicted as much bigger than less important ones, skin tone, etc.), but I quickly realized that those features were universal and couldn't be attributed to a common way of thinking/heritage especially with a such important hiati between the different arts (know this can sound stupid but that was actually what I was first thinking at the time!).

Same with animal-headed characters. Even cases like the orned rams/sun-disk headed Amun comparison leave me suspicious although I've never seen similar instances in distant cultures. I guess only specific and complex ornaments such as the Atef crown would convince me but I've yet to see one. French scholar LE QUELLEC also made a mention of mythological similarities illustrated by an Egyptian scene featuring Hathor resembling a Messak scene which sounded pretty convincing to me.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Well there is little doubt that there was much contact between the myriad peoples that once shared the Sahara as home when it was once green.

Btw Takruri, have you heard of this woman before? [Big Grin]

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
While scarification is spread nearly throughout the
continent where the dark skin makes for permanent
beautiful keloids, the particular patterns are bound
to vary due to everything from asthetics to ritual
specifications or symbology. It's the pattern not the
scarring that makes me think Tschad (which isn't so
far from Tissili N'Ajjer at all and the Tibesti is in the
Sahara anyway, though the Chadics with similar body
art patterns are south of the lake iirc).

I know the repro isn't the highest of quality but in
the book where it's clearer the body art looks like
keloid rather then paint but then keloids aren't
white so obviously your point's better than mine.

quote:
Originally posted by Please call me MIDOGBE:
Is this the kind of scarifications or their repartition on the body that made you feel the character looked "Chadic"? I'm saying that because I've seen several Vodun/Orisha priests with this kind of spotted scarifications.

Also still referring to religious Bight of Benin people, I'm wondering if the spots on the character's skin aren't painted spots rather than scarifications. What do you think? (I'll try to take a look at the books I've seen these pics for more precise infos asap)

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Many of these carvings depict Nile Valley and desert fauna that retreated from the region soon after 3500 BC, including elephant, giraffe, rhinoceros and ostrich. Also depicted are indigenous desert wildlife such as ibex, gazelle and antelope. There are also images of people, including those wearing the typical penis pouch and others with ornamental wigs, which can also be dated to about 3500 BC. Other rock art depicts boats and groups of people wearing feather ornaments, who were originally thought to have been invaders who moved into the area from the Red Sea. However, somewhat recent scholarship appears to prove otherwise. More likely, they were probably indigenous people who came in contact with others from the Nile Valley, and in fact, these people may have spent a part of their lives in the Nile Valley, migrating to the eastern desert during specific seasons.

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Myra, what's the provenance of that pic? Is it
the desert between the Nile and the Red Sea?

--------------------

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the Pharaonic Period, as now, desert nomads traveled from water source to water source across the coastal regions of the southern part of the Eastern Desert. In reports from expeditions during these times, the people who inhabited the desert were collectively referred to as "Medjay" Today, we make the assumption that the Bedja and Ma'aza tribes who inhabit the region are the descendants of the pharaonic Medja, but mostly because of the similarities in their names. This may not be the case, however. There is no documented continuity of settlement, since during the fourth and fifth centuries, nomadic groups called the "Blemmyes" penetrated the region. The Medjay were used by the ancient Egyptians as scouts and workers, organized under their own chiefs on pharaonic expeditions.

Nubian soldiers and scouts carefully controlled and monitored the "desert of Coptos". The southern desert areas and especially the gold deposits in the Wadi Barramiya and the Wadi Mia across from Edfu were controlled by the viceroy of Nubia. [Source]

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Nope. This honey's more my taste in a Red Sea Jewess.
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

Btw Takruri, have you heard of this woman before? [Big Grin]

Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
alTakruri:
I actually do have a Black and White picture of the upper-part of the painting.

I forgot to say I never saw elsewhere than in areas susceptibles to have been influenced by Ancient Saharan culture pics of two headed bulls with no behinds, kind of "siamese" twins.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^What?? I'm a little confused. Exactly, which Saharan art are you speaking of Midogbe??

Also Myra, you think the modern day Beja are not the direct descendants of the Medjay? If so, then who then? Or rather what is your take on the history of the Eastern desert nomads??

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Also Myra, you think the modern day Beja are not the direct descendants of the Medjay? If so, then who then? Or rather what is your take on the history of the Eastern desert nomads??

The Medjay, which were dwellers of the Eastern Desert is identified with the 'pan grave' culture. The Medjay are the forefathers of the Beja (known to the Romans as the “Blemmyes).

Reference:

Encyclopedia of the Archaeology of Ancient Egypt, by Katheryn A. Bard (1999)

She is coming out with a revised edition May 11th as a textbook.

Horus_Den_1
Member # 12222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horus_Den_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saharan rock art  -
Posts: 107 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Masked Figure. Sahara. Algeria. Archaic or Round Head style.
9000-7000 BCE

-

Horned Figure. Sahara. Algeria. Archaid or Round Head Style.
9000-7000 BCE

-

-

The human and human-like figures express a very high degree of symbolism (e.g. the 'Great God' at Sefar),
which seems to infer a more developed society, with well established religious beliefs and rituals.

This could be the most ancient ethno-mycological finding up to the present day, which goes back to the
so-called "Round Heads" Period (i.e. 9,000-7,000 years ago). The centre of this style is Tassili, but
examples are also to be found at Tadrart Acacus (Libya), Ennedi (Chad), and at Jebel Uweinat (Egypt)
(Muzzolini, 1986:173-175).

Jebel Uweinat, Egypt (South West corner of Egypt's Western Desert (or Libyan Desert))
8000 BCE

-

-

-

Research Site:

The Missing Links

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Ms Myra

A 1,000 1,000 blessings unto you
(especially for the Horned Goddess)!

ATTN Moderator
Could you place that photo beside (not below)
the repro in the initial post, please. Thanx.

Quetzalcoatl
Member # 12742

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quetzalcoatl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of days ago , alTakruri asked Myra in reference to a painting of a boat:
quote:
Myra, what's the provenance of that pic? Is it
the desert between the Nile and the Red Sea?

I, too, would be interested in the answer. Are there many more pictures of boats? where are they mostly found?
Posts: 833 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quetzalcoatl
Member # 12742

Member Rated:
another paper supporting the original color of modern humans as dark;

Lao, O., et al. 2007 “Signatures of Positive Selection in Genes Associated with Human Skin Pigmentation as Revealed from Analyses of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms,” [u]Annals of Human Genetics [/u] 71: 354–369

Summary
Phenotypic variation between human populations in skin pigmentation correlates with latitude at the continental level. A large number of hypotheses involving genetic adaptation have been proposed to explain human variation in skin colour, but only limited genetic evidence for positive selection has been presented. To shed light on the evolutionary genetic history of human variation in skin colour we inspected 118 genes associated with skin pigmentation in the Perlegen dataset, studying single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), and analyzed 55 genes in detail. We identified eight genes that are associated with the melanin pathway (SLC45A2, OCA2, TYRP1, DCT,
KITLG, EGFR, DRD2 and PPARD) and presented significant differences in genetic variation between Europeans, Africans and Asians. In six of these genes we detected, by means of the EHH test, variability patterns that are compatible with the hypothesis of local positive selection in Europeans (OCA2, TYRP1 and KITLG) and in Asians (OCA2, DCT, KITLG, EGFR and DRD2), whereas signals were scarce in Africans (DCT, EGFR and DRD2). Furthermore, a statistically significant correlation between genotypic variation in four pigmentation candidate genes and phenotypic variation of skin colour in 51 worldwide human populations was revealed. Overall, our data also suggest that light skin colour is the derived state and is of independent origin in Europeans and Asians, whereas dark skin color seems of unique origin, reflecting the ancestral state in humans.

fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
could this saharan pass as reddish-brown

--------------------
لا اله الا الله و محمد الرسول الله

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl:
A couple of days ago , alTakruri asked Myra
in reference to a painting of a boat:
quote:
Myra, what's the provenance of that pic?
Is it the desert between the Nile and the Red
Sea?

I, too, would be interested in the
answer. Are there many more pictures of boats?
where are they mostly found?

Eastern Desert "Boat" Rock Art

-

The "chieftains" boat from Wadi Abu Wasil, Eastern Desert

4500 BCE

-

Petroglyph reflecting an occupied boat with oars and a star overhead.
This petroglyph is located in the Wadi Hammamat in the Eastern Desert
and the general interpretation of the imagery is religious in nature,
perhaps depicting an afterworld journey. Interestingly, many of the
occupants of the boats in the petroglyphs of the Eastern desert reflect the
same position, arms upraised and bent, almost into a circular position.
This position is also seen reflected in early clay forms of prehistoric
deities and could have developed into the later two-plumed figure.

-

This petroglyph is located in the Wadi Barramiya in the Eastern Desert
and was discovered during Toby Wilkinson's expedition (December
2000). Perched high upon the cliff face, has saved it from modern graffiti.
Again you'll find the occupants with the same type of arm positioning. What
is quite intriguing about the rock art of the Eastern Desert is the frequent
use of boats. Whether or not they were all meant to depict journeys into
the afterworld is a matter of speculation.

-

Petroglyph reflecting an occupied boat, with the
occupant wearing a very interesting head-dress
and pointing westward. This petroglyph is
located in the Wadi Barramiya
as well, but
has unfortunately been defaced by modern
graffiti, a common hazard to any rock art within
easy reach. The head-dress worn by the occupant
of the boat seems a precursor to the twin-plumed
head-dress usually seen worn by later gods. If
it is, and the occupant of the boat is a deity,
it makes the direction in which he is pointing
all the more interesting as west was the land of
the dead in ancient Egyptian religion. This
could be the earliest representation of a
funerary deity.

Wadi Hammamat Desert People

In this part of the Eastern desert live the Ababda Bedu people.

-

-

-

References:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/lankester2/page5.html

http://www.geocities.com/mangascochise/rocks2006egypt.html

Quetzalcoatl
Member # 12742

Member Rated:
Thank you Myra.

These boats were located between the Nile and the Red Sea. Are there boat pictures in places like the Hoggar and Tibesti?

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl:
Thank you Myra.

Are there boat pictures in places like the Hoggar and Tibesti?

I didn't find any pictures of boats on their rock art.

Tibesti Chad Rock Art, 7000 BCE

-

More pictures of Tibesti:

http://www.tibesti.org/presentation/rupestres.htm

Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
Djehuti:
You may be familiar with a double bovine depicted on a Predynastic Egyptian Palette: that's the one I was referring to as well as its ressemblances with other "double bovines" from Séfar (Tassili) and from Sumerian archaic Sumerian dynasties. I'll try to find some pics of them online later.

Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
 -

Hmmm...I guess we all agree that these characters look like modern Fulani, right?
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I don't what moderns they approach
but I'd hardly whittle it down to
modern Fulani. There's no one way
to look Fulani.

I'd just say they're some generic
Saharan/Sahelien elongated Africans
of unspecified particular ethnicity
and leave it at that.

--------------------

Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
^
I wasn't referring to these characters' phenotypes, but to their hairdresses.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com