EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: Sumerians may have been Australoid (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT: Sumerians may have been Australoid
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Means little; according to the Oxford mainstream crowd the AEs are still a "contested race".
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anguishofbeing

Thats the sad thing about breaking barriers. It takes time for change to be acknoweledged and we see alot of people jumping through hoops to twist and turn the TRUTH to serve their purpose.

It's not an easy road to trod, but we can make a difference by pressing the mainstream with right and to the point questions that forces the TRUTH out of them.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dzosser*
Member # 17690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dzosser*   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anguishofbeing:
Means little; according to the Oxford mainstream crowd the AEs are still a "contested race".

DO YOU EVER SHUT UP?
SLEEP?
SO ANYTHING NORMAL?
RACIST

Posts: 32 | From: Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eurafrican was an old term that referred to the old mediterranean type which is euphamism for Negro, just like the term Armenoid.

You asked an important question. The answers to this questions are not simple but I will try and explain. The Elamites, Sumerians, Tamil and Mande speakers formerly lived in the Sahara. In ancient times these people were called Kushites, and were related to the C-Group people.

When we compare lexical items from these languages we can see the similarities. These languages also share many cognate terms.

• ENGLISH SUMERIAN MANDING TAMIL
    chief kal,kala kele﷓tigi gasa(n)
    field gan ga kalan
    eye(l) igi akki
    eye(2) ini,en nya kan
    arrow kak kala kakam
    granary kur k'ur﷓k'ur kutir
    road sila sila caalai
    father pap pa appan
    lord manus mansa mannan
    male mu moko maakkal
    to recite sid siti
    to buy sa sa cel
    grain se se
    seed gen ge 'to sprout'

═════════════════════════λ 2;═════════════════════════ 552;═════════════
    English Dravidian Manding
    top, summit kona kun
    one ondu do
    two pattu ta
    four naal nani
    person uki moko
    fish(filet) bale bake
    skin uri wuru,guru
    house lon lu
    head kuku ku
    tongue na ne
    blacksmith inumu numu
    foot karal koro
    liver karal kura
    mud burada boro, buru
    give idu di
    stone kaly kulu
    cloud kaar ka, kaba
    fire ti ta
    mountain kunru kuru
    elder,grandfather maama maa﷓maa
    ═════════════════════════λ 2;═════════════════════════ 552;═════════════
    ELAMITE ENGLISH MANDING
    ﷓ak and ka
    turna know, awaken kuna, fori
    sahri death sa
    murta to erect kura
    ﷓mar from a place ma
    li give di
    tela to go tara
    Nap God Nala
    tus habitation du
    husu ill﷓omened dyugu
    kuta lance keru
    lan,lani silver dala
    ki one killi
    ta place ta
    kik sky,heaven ka
    sari sculpter se
    ufat steel tuufa
    tela to go ta
    khali great ka
    dau help deema
    ko king,lord ka
    na say na
    para to watch fere﷓ke

As you can see Mande shares many terms with both Sumerian and Tamil. Although they share lexical items we can also see differences between the three languages. These differences probably are the result of the migration patterns of these groups into Asia. The historical research make it clear that the Sumerians left Africa first. They would have interacted with the Ubaid people who were the rulers of Mesopotamia when the Sumerians arrived. Naturally these two different people would have exchanged lexical items.

The Tamil speakers settled the Indus Valley. Another group of Tamil speakers along with Mande speaking people landed in Iran founded the Elamite civilization and migrated from there across Central Asia into China and beyond in search of metals. The Tamil speaking Tamil used a syllabic script.

-

When we compare monosyllabic Tamil and Sumerian terms we see great similarities, that prove the genetic relations between these two languages which Loga refers to as Sumero-Tamil. After the fall of the Harappan civilization the Tamil speaking people began to migrate into South India.

In China the Tamil founded the Shang civilization. They were defeated by the Shang-Anyang people who spoke Austro-Asiatic languages.

The Tamil migrated into Yunnan Province and from there into Southeast Asia which was probably sparsely occupied at this time by Austro-Asiatic speaking people. As the Hua or Han people forced the Austro-Asiatic people from North China, some Austro-Asiatic people began to push the Tamil speakers across Southeast Asia into India.

Many of the Austro-Asiatic people were still living in India .During the interactions between the Austro-Asiatic and Tamil speakers there was probably an exchange of lexical items as a result of bilingualism in Southeast Asia and later India.

The Austro-Asiatic speakers mainly remained in the North, while the Tamil from Southeast Asia probably continued southward to join the Tamil speakers of the Indus Valley who were by then living in South India.Other Dravidian speaking people probably entered India from the land mass that formerly connected India and Africa.

As a result of these migrations we can explain the differences in lexical items between Sumerian and Tamil by possible periods of bilingualism among Austro-Asiatic and Tamil speakers, and Sumerian and Ubaid speakers.

• There is also a close relationship between the Austronesian
    /Polynesian, Manding and Tamil languages:

English Austronesian Tamil Manding

house,building *balay gibu,pura fa, ba

write *surat carru sewe

iron,metal *bari irumpu bara 'tongs of
    the blacksmith'

cultivate,arable
    land *babaw bey,benni be

yam *qubi kiranku,kuni ku

garden *qumah kalli ka

dog *wasu ori wuru

canoe,boat *qaban kalam kulu

holy man *datu,tu'i tuyan tu

deity ku ko ku

high chief mana mannan mansa

unit of land mo'o man ma

fallow land *talun natu dugu

pondfield lo'i pulam

stone chisel ko'i kere

The cognition of these languages is not surprising given the
    affinity between the Dravidian languages in spoken Southeast Asia
    and the Pacific.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although they may have had the same root I believe Elam and Tamil left Africa long before the development of C-group which was one of the later expressions of the Red and Black ware culture.

From what I've read C-group people were also largely pastoralists affiliated with both bovidian Libyan culture and pastoralist Sudanic cultures.

--------------------
D. Reynolds-Marniche

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:
Although they may have had the same root I believe Elam and Tamil left Africa long before the development of C-group which was one of the later expressions of the Red and Black ware culture.

From what I've read C-group people were also largely pastoralists affiliated with both bovidian Libyan culture and pastoralist Sudanic cultures.

What is your evidence for this proposition?

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
quote:
Originally posted by dana marniche:

What is your evidence for this proposition?

The first and most important evidence is that Elam dates long before the C-group culture and thus if it is related it must have have the same source as the C group somewhere in the Sahara. I get that source from what has been discovered found about the neolithic Saharan culture and its relationship to C-group and early Nubian/Nilotic culture, i.e. A - group, Amratian, Naqqada etc.
Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump.
Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deleted.
Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
I don't think the average sumerian was black in 4000b.c to 2000b.c for example,but i don't think most were white either.
Now some were black and some were white.
Most were brown phenotype wise.

Anyway anybody else want to post what race the average sumerian looked like?

Note- i posted 4000b.c because that's the start of sumerian civilization,so even if most were black in mesopotamia it was way back in the past or before sumerian civilization in mesopotamia.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I agree with your assessment. I think the average Sumerian was a "brown" type. The "Australoid" phenotype in discussion is mostly associated with Proto-Euphrateans who preceded the Sumerians.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ I agree with your assessment. I think the average Sumerian was a "brown" type. The "Australoid" phenotype in discussion is mostly associated with Proto-Euphrateans who preceded the Sumerians.

As of 2022, I agree. And those "Australoids" in all probability were people of a phenotype similar to the early UP/LSA colonists of Arabia from Africa, not necessarily close relatives of modern Australasians.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I'm curious as to how much related to Africans they were if any. Perhaps 'Basal Eurasian'?

What is known is that the Proto-Euphrateans did have 'southern' features.

'Excavations at Kish' (1931):
Buxton and Rice on Sumerian remains- "The forehead was retreating and the brow ridges were always prominent, the cheek bones were rather broad and the nose also was broad, in some case inclining to extreme platyrrhine… There can be no doubt that this type is that which has been described by Sergi, Giuffrida-Ruggeri, and Fleure, and named the Eurafican type…"
T.K. Penniman- "First there is the Eurafrican.. In ancient times, this type is found in Mesopotamia and Egypt and may be compared with the Ombe Capelle skull. It is possibly identical with men who lived in the high desert west of the Nile in paleolithic times.."

You can read the whole paper here: Report on the Human Remains Found at Kish

Here's another older paper: Whence Came the Sumerians? (1929)

Though here is a more recent source on the topic: Physical Anthropology and the "Sumerian Problem" (2006)

Interestingly, the author of the last source above makes note of similarities to peoples of India that tend to get glossed over. This also makes me think of the Arab-Indian HBS gene that may be another clue to ancient African connections.

-

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A thread....

-
 -  -

-

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Here's an interesting study on the Marsh Arabs of southern Iraq who are presumed to be the closest descendants of the Sumerians:

In search of the genetic footprints of Sumerians: a survey of Y-chromosome and mtDNA variation in the Marsh Arabs of Iraq

Abstract
Background
For millennia, the southern part of the Mesopotamia has been a wetland region generated by the Tigris and Euphrates rivers before flowing into the Gulf. This area has been occupied by human communities since ancient times and the present-day inhabitants, the Marsh Arabs, are considered the population with the strongest link to ancient Sumerians. Popular tradition, however, considers the Marsh Arabs as a foreign group, of unknown origin, which arrived in the marshlands when the rearing of water buffalo was introduced to the region.

Results
To shed some light on the paternal and maternal origin of this population, Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) variation was surveyed in 143 Marsh Arabs and in a large sample of Iraqi controls. Analyses of the haplogroups and sub-haplogroups observed in the Marsh Arabs revealed a prevalent autochthonous Middle Eastern component for both male and female gene pools, with weak South-West Asian and African contributions, more evident in mtDNA. A higher male than female homogeneity is characteristic of the Marsh Arab gene pool, likely due to a strong male genetic drift determined by socio-cultural factors (patrilocality, polygamy, unequal male and female migration rates).

Conclusions
Evidence of genetic stratification ascribable to the Sumerian development was provided by the Y-chromosome data where the J1-Page08 branch reveals a local expansion, almost contemporary with the Sumerian City State period that characterized Southern Mesopotamia. On the other hand, a more ancient background shared with Northern Mesopotamia is revealed by the less represented Y-chromosome lineage J1-M267*. Overall our results indicate that the introduction of water buffalo breeding and rice farming, most likely from the Indian sub-continent, only marginally affected the gene pool of autochthonous people of the region. Furthermore, a prevalent Middle Eastern ancestry of the modern population of the marshes of southern Iraq implies that if the Marsh Arabs are descendants of the ancient Sumerians, also the Sumerians were most likely autochthonous and not of Indian or South Asian ancestry.

Go to:
Background
The Near East is well known for its important role in human history, particularly as a theatre for great historical events that changed the face of the world during the Neolithic period. The temperate climate and fertile soil brought by the continuous flooding of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, made the Mesopotamian region ideal for early revolutions in agriculture and farming. In particular, the southern part of Mesopotamia (the delta between the two rivers in the present day southern Iraq) has been historically known as the Garden of Eden (biblical name) or Sumer Land, the land of Abraham.

The Mesopotamian civilization originated around the 4th millennium BC in the low course of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. This alluvial territory, which emerged progressively by soil sedimentation, attracted different populations from the northern and eastern mountains but, whereas traces of their culture are present in the territory, as documented by the Ubaid-Eridu pottery, nothing is available for their identification. Only two groups of populations arrived later and in larger number leaved historical records: Sumerian and Semitic groups. The Sumerians, who spoke an isolated language not correlated to any linguistic family, are the most ancient group living in the region for which we have historical evidence. They occupied the delta between the two rivers in the southern part of the present Iraq, one of the oldest inhabited wetland environments. The Semitic groups were semi-nomadic people who spoke a Semitic language and lived in the northern area of the Syro-Arabian desert breeding small animals. From here, they reached Mesopotamia where they settled among the pre-existing populations. The Semitic people, more numerous in the north, and the Sumerians, more represented in the south, after having adsorbed the pre-existing populations, melted their cultures laying the basis of the western civilization.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would be nice to get aDNA from Mesopotamia, both from Sumerians and their predecessors.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com