EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » “Nappy Hair”.? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: “Nappy Hair”.?
Inmybackgarden.
Member # 13388

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inmybackgarden.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God put the proof on the Black Man's head .

I had a picture to put here but for some reason its saying no remote imaging allowed on here ????confused
im interested in hair ancient hair styles and to modern day African and Egyptian .
Can any one here give more information on nappy hair or are you yourself got nappy hair.

Posts: 53 | From: Daffodill land entering Egypt | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have nappy hair and proud of it. I probably have the biggest Afro is the country when my hair isn't cornrowed.
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upload your image to photobutcket. It should be fine.

Hair is hair, IMO. I myself have wavy/curly hair. I enhance the waves with comb thru wave gel and a wave cap.

When it grows out I have a loosely curled Afro.

I've heard it said that the Ancient Egyptians wore wigs but I think they also had natural hairstyles. I've seen alot of artwork with men wearing Afros and women with braids.

-

-

Here's a nice video presentation of Egyptian art:

THE TRUTH FROM THE TOMBS OF EGYPT

The Truth From The Tombs Of Egypt Part II

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indigenous Africans' hair ranges from the spiral tuft forms of Khoisan to the curly and wavy forms of Ethiopians. So-called "kinky" hair lies between these two extremes and is not as 'tight' as the spiral form or as loose or straight as the curly and especially wavy forms.

Judging from the many tomb paintings, the Egyptians had hair similar to other northeast Africans-- curly to wavy but no doubt there were some 'kinky' types present.

-

^The above picture is said to be of an Egyptian man with his natural hair and not a wig due to the fact that his ear shows.

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mdu Ntr word for a lock of Egyptian hair is;
Napy...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ touche'
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:

Napy...

Yeah, I almost forgot about that! LOL

What a coincidence!

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by X-Ras:
I have nappy hair and proud of it. I probably have the biggest Afro in the country when my hair isn't cornrowed.

I bet not as big as this one! [Smile]

-

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nile Valley hairdos as reminders of the modern styles
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inmybackgarden.
Member # 13388

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inmybackgarden.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
quote:
Originally posted by X-Ras:
I have nappy hair and proud of it. I probably have the biggest Afro in the country when my hair isn't cornrowed.

I bet not as big as this one! [Smile]

-

kool one this tickled me pink
[Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 53 | From: Daffodill land entering Egypt | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nice Vidadavida *sigh*
Member # 13372

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nice Vidadavida *sigh*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Napy...

WOW [Eek!]
Posts: 336 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Napy...

That's interesting.

I think nappy is considered to be deragotory nowadays (e.g. Don Imus's "Nappy headed-hoes" comment).

Kinky and frizzy are more acceptable, or just plain curly (wooly?).

Btw, Wally I've been meaning to ask you about the color schemes on your website:

http://www.geocities.com/wally_mo/coco_hues.html

The symbolic/conventional table seems sensible but I'd like to know the source for this art interpretation. From what I have heard the Egyptians did not give detail on the symbolism behind their artwork and opinions have varied among Egyptologists based on personal interpretation.

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masonic Rebel
Member # 9549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Masonic Rebel   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
God put the proof on the Black Man's head .
Question is this a Kola Boof quote ?

I believe so and I agree with this statment.

Posts: 567 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Masonic Rebel:
Question is this a Kola Boof quote ?

I believe so and I agree with this statment.

I think its a common Black pride remark that wooly hair was a divine trait of the "original" people. The spiral of the hair coinciding with the rotation of the planets, galaxies, and double helix.

I personally think it is lunacy but I don't protest too much unless someone is saying something that is clearly hateful.

Let people have their religion as long as they don't force it on me.

King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Indigenous Africans' hair ranges from the spiral tuft forms of Khoisan to the curly and wavy forms of Ethiopians. So-called "kinky" hair lies between these two extremes and is not as 'tight' as the spiral form or as loose or straight as the curly and especially wavy forms.

Judging from the many tomb paintings, the Egyptians had hair similar to other northeast Africans-- curly to wavy but no doubt there were some 'kinky' types present.

-

^The above picture is said to be of an Egyptian man with his natural hair and not a wig due to the fact that his ear shows.

I have kinky hair, but realistically, it's not AS nappy as some people's. When my head is freshly shaven, it's VERY fine actually and naturally wavy. Some Black people have joked with me that I have Indian in me because my hair can look so fine at times. LOL!!!
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God put the proof also on the Black Woman's head

-

Angela Yvonne Davis - Professor, University of California, Santa Cruz

Quote: "It is both humiliating and humbling to discover that a single generation after the events that constructed me as a public personality, I am remembered as a "hairdo".

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inmybackgarden.
Member # 13388

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
God put the proof also on the Black Woman's head

-

Angela Yvonne Davis - Professor, University of California, Santa Cruz

Quote: "It is both humiliating and humbling to discover that a single generation after the events that constructed me as a public personality, I am remembered as a "hairdo".

So my dear are you saying your this woman in the picture ,well well i would be happy with hairdo like that and very proud that God made me the proof of "big hair"
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love my "nappy hair" (althought it is in locks now) Imagine this experience when I got married, and my husband saw my hair for the first time..... [Wink]
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inmybackgarden.
Member # 13388

Member Rated:
Hi Khadija,im see your over the other side didnt know it was your area to come here nice to see you here ,im read from time to time there but sometimes i may answer then think what the heck no-way "lol"gone quiet there im just reading some story of love uhmm interesting .Love to show your ""nappy locks" with us please.

--------------------
Among the flower beds of waterlillys

Honi B
Member # 12991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honi B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love my "nappy hair" (althought it is in locks now) Imagine this experience when I got married, and my husband saw my hair for the first time.....

Ha! I'm such a visual person [Embarrassed] , sometimes too visual [Eek!] . Are you saying that you were a virgin when you were married (thats nice) or [Confused] .. what experience?! (sorry, could you explain for me?)

Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wear my hair straght out, it's a closer to the nappy side, which is fine, because I like nappy better.

I really doesn't take much for my hair to be loose and curly, people on my football were asking if I too were mexican or part mexican or something lol.

Guess they don't know that Mexicans are really just a blend of peoples, Americans, Europeans, and Africans.

Any way, I hadn't really sought info. on african hair and Djehuti made an interesting assertion:

that nappy(kinky) hair is between spiral tuft and waivy/curly types.

I preiously thought kinky was the kinkiest type.

quote:
Mansa said:

I think nappy is considered to be deragotory nowadays (e.g. Don Imus's "Nappy headed-hoes" comment).

Kinky and frizzy are more acceptable, or just plain curly (wooly?).

I really didn't give a hoot, until everybody started making a big deal out of it.

What's sad is that you're observation is right,
nappy is a bit pejorative. Not so much just ho, as if you were to replace nappy headed ho's with big booty ho's, you have a potential [funny] positive. Though we would have then taken a look at our vernacular.

Anyway, a much better point is

'white's' have -> pale, pasty and fair

neutrals, negatives and positives respectively,

whereas we have -> kinky, wooly, and such.

All nuetrals and potential negatives.

I say nappy should be happy! [Embarrassed]

quote:
The above picture is said to be of an Egyptian man with his natural hair and not a wig due to the fact that his ear shows.

Djehuti, may I ask where particularly did you get all that detailed knowledge of Kemetian art, and really everything else Kemetian? -An accumulation over the years? Man, that's a lot of knowledge.

MAybe we need a thread about the meanings of art, and NOT just 'racial' nor spiritual, but how to tell some stuff.

Boy I've seen you identify some stuff!  -

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inmybackgarden.
Member # 13388

Member Rated:
Do you use oil for your "nappy hair" im use coconut or home-made base with honey and almond .

--------------------

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Inmybackgarden.:
Hi Khadija,im see your over the other side didnt know it was your area to come here nice to see you here ,im read from time to time there but sometimes i may answer then think what the heck no-way "lol"gone quiet there im just reading some story of love uhmm interesting .Love to show your ""nappy locks" with us please.

LOL, yes, I am all over the place, i just make comments on almost every thing. Yes, I love my hair, but honestly, i did not even like my hair until about 4 years ago. At that point in my life, i learn to love all of me. I stop putting chemicals in my hair, and went all nautral 100%. I went about one year, then i twisted it to locks, and it just grew and grew.

I have been in hijab for since October 2005, so very sorry, can not share with you. [Wink]

Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Honi B:
i love my "nappy hair" (althought it is in locks now) Imagine this experience when I got married, and my husband saw my hair for the first time.....

Ha! I'm such a visual person [Embarrassed] , sometimes too visual [Eek!] . Are you saying that you were a virgin when you were married (thats nice) or [Confused] .. what experience?! (sorry, could you explain for me?)

Oh its ok let me explain.

I was not virgin on my wedding night ( i am divorcee with 3 children). But my husband was (yes this was nice)

When I began to practice Islam almost 2 years ago, I cover my hair. So when I met my husband, he did not see it until our wedding night (which was 2 days after we met in person) I had explain the whole hair thing to him, because i know he seen old pics of me, before I was muslim, and my hair was different.

Well our first night together was very funny, cause he asked Wow, how do you do that to your hair, so I explain to him. He actually loves my hair, and is always touching it and trying to learn how to twist it. It is actually so funny if you can imagaine.

I asked is he ok, and he said yes, he love it,cause it is different, and he never see anything like it. Now i teach him how to do it for me, so I would have to wait for my lazy daughter to find time in her busy life to help me maintain it.

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
Do you use oil for your "nappy hair" im use coconut or home-made base with honey and almond .

Yes that's what's up, dont for get the shea butter!
100% natural, if i cant eat it, it is not going in my hair. Actually, i make all my hair and skin products, right in my own kitchen.

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Do you use oil for your "nappy hair" I use coconut or home-made base with honey and almond .

I use 100% Jojoba Oil for my hair and face. It makes my hair and skin real soft. I also use it as my bath oil.

Unlike common vegetable oils, jojoba oil is chemically very similar to human sebum. Sebum acts to protect and waterproof hair and skin, and keep them from becoming dry, brittle, and cracked.

Inmybackgarden.
Member # 13388

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:
quote:

Yes that's what's up, dont for get the shea butter!
100% natural, if i cant eat it, it is not going in my hair. Actually, i make all my hair and skin products, right in my own kitchen.

Depends on how and what you do with it and im been using this method for over 30 years now my mam and me dad used to put just pure amla with rose oil in it which im use on my children but with me losing my hair trhough illness now its mostly straight and corse hair bushy
Inmybackgarden.
Member # 13388

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:
quote:

LOL, yes, I am all over the place, i just make comments on almost every thing. Yes, I love my hair, but honestly, i did not even like my hair until about 4 years ago. At that point in my life, i learn to love all of me. I stop putting chemicals in my hair, and went all nautral 100%. I went about one year, then i twisted it to locks, and it just grew and grew.

I have been in hijab for since October 2005, so very sorry, can not share with you. [Wink]

I was joking with you im not into all that its personal and showing your picture here would be a big mistake if your clever you could use disguise [Wink] "joking"
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Oh LOL I got it now [Big Grin]
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nappy is only pejorative to those who've imbibed
a foreign value system and are ashamed of their
features that don't emulate those of their white
god colonizers . Nap is the measure of a sheep's
wool. The higher the nap count the better quality
the wool (or in the case of cotton, the terrycloth).

quote:

"nap" arrived in English around 1440 from the
Middle Dutch "noppe," meaning "tuft of wool."
The "nap" of wool or cloth is the layer of
projecting fibers on the surface,

Nappy hair is high quality hair, or at least so
thought the ancient Hebrew authors of the sacred
scriptures that describe the Ancient of Days as
having "the pure wool" hair.

quote:

I beheld till thrones were placed, and one that
was ancient of days did sit: his raiment was as
white snow, and the hair of his head like pure
wool; his throne was fiery flames, and the wheels
thereof burning fire.

Daniel 7:9

So just how and when and by whom did the very hair
texture of the holiest quality become pejorative and
who bought into that perversion of spirituality and why?

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^LOL @ how this discussion turned into how each one takes care of his or her hair.

quote:
Originally posted by Willing Thinker {What Box}:

Djehuti, may I ask where particularly did you get all that detailed knowledge of Kemetian art, and really everything else Kemetian? -An accumulation over the years? Man, that's a lot of knowledge.

MAybe we need a thread about the meanings of art, and NOT just 'racial' nor spiritual, but how to tell some stuff.

Boy I've seen you identify some stuff!

Actually, right now much of what I know about these 'details' of Egyptian culture and history come from this forum! [Big Grin]

After several more years in this forum, you'll have such knowledge yourself. LOL

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Nappy is only pejorative to those who've imbibed
a foreign value system and are ashamed of their
features that don't emulate those of their white
god colonizers . Nap is the measure of a sheep's
wool. The higher the nap count the better quality
the wool (or in the case of cotton, the terrycloth).

- Takruri is correct-- hair texture, like any other physical traits whether it be skin color or facial features are "measured" or "valued" by the culture or society one lives in. If one lived in a society dominated by people with straighter hair long enough, those who do not have such a trait will eventually adopt and accept the notion that they do not measure up or not good enough. They devalue or value themselves upon the standard set by those in charge. Hence, colorism (favoring of lighter skin) is an issue for African Americans as well. Heck, even 'brown' hispanics and Southeast Asians suffer from it.
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
quote:
Takruri is correct-- hair texture, like any other physical traits whether it be skin color or facial features are "measured" or "valued" by the culture or society one lives in. If one lived in a society dominated by people with straighter hair long enough, those who do not have such a trait will eventually adopt and accept the notion that they do not measure up or not good enough. They devalue or value themselves upon the standard set by those in charge.

The year 1906

-

Closeup

-

Only to be used in dressing the Hair and it will make short harsh, kinky hair behave and stay in place if used as directed at the same time imparts a beautiful gloss to the hair.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, one of the premier BA entreprenaurs who made part
of her fortune off of "bad hair" to look like "good hair."

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inmybackgarden.
Member # 13388

Member Rated:
 -
"wow"

--------------------

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Matted hair, which in the above case appears to have
been nappy before matting. However, all grades of hair
will mat when left undisturbed over a length of time.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Inmybackgarden.
Member # 13388

Member Rated:
My cousins only seem to wash theres once in every 3months can you answer this for me they are not here for me to ask them and no computer where they are .I Know theres a reason for this to why they do this but they never tell .

--------------------

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I wash and oil mine frequently to keep
them healthy and free of sweat and dirt.

Inmybackgarden.
Member # 13388

Member Rated:
quote:
I wash and oil mine frequently to keep
them healthy and free of sweat and dirt.

Nice answer but i can assure you they are clean people i know its to do with the texture of hair or maybe its a culture thing i actually dont know .
Neith-Athena
Member # 10040

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neith-Athena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hair was a problem for me when I was growing up. When I was a preteenager I watched the Spanish soap operas on television and all the women had long, straight hair. (They never show black people on Hispanic television in this country, and when they show Native Americans [from Central or South America - I do not like the term "Indian"] that do not look mixed with European elements, they are always servants on the hacienda who say "Don" and "Dona" to their white and mestizo overlords.) I would get a towel and put it over my head, which I then shook to get the feeling that I had long, flowing hair. Later on for some time I prayed to god that when I woke up my hair would be long.

That obviously did not happen, I stopped believing in god (at least the Judeo-Christian one) many years ago, and I stopped using chemicals in my hair two years ago. I now have shoulder-length dreadlocks, and I want them to grow past my waist. Also, I would not change my hair for anything.

Posts: 140 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to put a shirt over my head and pretend that it was my hair and I would pretend that I was white.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neith-Athena
Member # 10040

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neith-Athena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the media are so toxic for Black children when they are growing up and exposed to so many subtle and not-so-subtle anti-black messages in newspapers, magazines, and on television. If I ever had a child I would not expose him/her to any of that rubbish. Plus, the American media are so biased. The only images they have of Africans is of poor, desperate, starving people who cannot govern themselves. Of course, they never go into the history of colonization and imperialism, and the fact that the CIA assassinates leaders such as Lumumba whose policies are anathema to Uncle Sam. Then they wonder why they cannot elect their leaders democratically, when Blacks are not allowed to vote in places like Florida.

I would probably home-school my child too.

Posts: 140 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my little dreadlocks and wear them as a crown.. [Smile]
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neith-Athena if you mind me asking, why did you stop believing in God? Was it really because of the hair or other things?

You know that in Judeo-Christian belief, God is the god of everyone. And that ultimately, Christian, Judaic, and Islamic beliefs stem from a common Afrasian tradition that began in Africa anyway.

I think the problem is that Christianity was been 'white-washed' for too long.

Being raised Catholic I am far too weary of the icons of (white) Jesus and (white) Mary and even (white) God which is blasphemous and even breaks one of the Ten Commandments (thou shall make no graven images).

As for soaps, it is the same situation in the Philippines with all actors and actresses being light-skinned (mestiza) or northern Asian looking. Every now and then you see a black 'Negrito' but they usually play 'comedic' parts only. The Funny thing is you seem some Filipinos who get tans and 'frizz' up their hair to emulate their favorite African American artists LOL.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Thank you Djehuti.

quote:
Originally posted by Ebony Allen:
I used to put a shirt over my head and pretend that it was my hair and I would pretend that I was white.

I used to do this too. Not to feel 'white', but just to feel sexy  - [Smile] .

Or maybe to have straight hair.

Or to immitate and make fun of the straight hair I noticed on many females, and white people in particular.

All I remember is that I would have fun and act goofy doing it. [Big Grin] Moving my head and body in retarded, and circular motions to see the effect of the 'hair' or shirt, which I may have only realized looked like hair after a min.

By the way, in case my earlier post made seem like I have my hair grown out, I don't. I way describing how it was when it was grown out.

~ W. Box? ~ [Cool]

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mansa Musa:
I think its a common Black pride remark that wooly hair was a divine trait of the "original" people. The spiral of the hair coinciding with the rotation of the planets, galaxies, and double helix.

I personally think it is lunacy but I don't protest too much unless someone is saying something that is clearly hateful.

Let people have their religion as long as they don't force it on me.

WHAT?!

It is true.

Nappy(: = -> super) hair is symbolic of the deep, supernatural mystical, immensity, and the devine Jurisdiction of the universe [Cool]

just as white(= flowing) hair is representative of the beauty prestige and majesty and power of the wind - [Smile]

Woo Winters YO STUFF IIZ GOOD! (I'll be quite now C. W. 'For you get me [Smile] )

Nice Vidadavida *sigh*
Member # 13372

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nice Vidadavida *sigh*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Neith-Athena if you mind me asking, why did you stop believing in God? Was it really because of the hair or other things?

You know that in Judeo-Christian belief, God is the god of everyone. And that ultimately, Christian, Judaic, and Islamic beliefs stem from a common Afrasian tradition that began in Africa anyway.

I think the problem is that Christianity was been 'white-washed' for too long.

Being raised Catholic I am far too weary of the icons of (white) Jesus and (white) Mary and even (white) God which is blasphemous and even breaks one of the Ten Commandments (thou shall make no graven images).

As for soaps, it is the same situation in the Philippines with all actors and actresses being light-skinned (mestiza) or northern Asian looking. Every now and then you see a black 'Negrito' but they usually play 'comedic' parts only. The Funny thing is you seem some Filipinos who get tans and 'frizz' up their hair to emulate their favorite African American artists LOL.

I see no difference between Whites/Arabs/Middle Easterners/Jews.

They are all the same comparitively to blacks. As far as the Judeo-Christian God being God to everyone...that is circular reasoning. The Bible/Quran nor it's God can validate itself with itself.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Ancient Kemetian hair utensils:

-

-

-

What do you guys make of both men and women wearing wigs and extensions? I remember a past thread where someone cited a source which stated men wore more elaborate wigs than women although I don't know how true this was.

Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Matted hair, which in the above case appears to have
been nappy before matting. However, all grades of hair
will mat when left undisturbed over a length of time.

This is not true. Bone straight hair don't mat at all.
Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ebony Allen:

I heard a lot of black women say this. This is shocking. [Eek!]
Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
I have nappy hair, but it is not thick; it's thin. It also straightens easily. If I wash my hair and braid it afterwards then take the braid out, my hair is straight. I have to set my hair with rollers to get an afro.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com