EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egyptian houses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian houses
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When most people think of a traditional African house, they think of a structure with a pointed roof made of grass or leaves. Most Ancient Egyptian houses, on the other hand, seemed to have had flat roofs, like this:

-

Why was AE housing different from other African houses? Did they simply not have enough vegetation to use for roofs? Or maybe they didn't need pointed houses because of the lack of rain (my dad once told me that the idea behind a pointed roof is to let water or snow slide off so it doesn't knock the house down).

Posts: 7084 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The architecture in Africa is rather diverse. Compare the ancient Egyptian dwelling to standard housing amongst the Yoruba,Hausa or Sahelian people. Modern Egyptian peasants and Nubians have similiar dwellings such as the ancient Egyptians. It's rather pratical considering that people work with the local materials they have to build the best dwellings they can.

You just have to investigate to see not all Africans have the standard round pointed thatched roof dwellings.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. I myself was wondering if African housing was more diverse than the classical pointed-roof African hut.

Now that I think about it, this Hausa house does look vaguely similar to the Ancient Egyptian house, albeit with more decorative flourishes.
 -

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7084 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I have posted this before, but many Early European travellers to Africa pointed out that they had cities and that many featured square or rectangular dwellings. This is across Africa.
Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Indeed, what is this talk of a "traditional African house" or a "classical" pointed roof hut?? As if all African peoples built their houses the exact same way.

T-rex, you pretty much answered your own question when you say that a people's housing architecture depends on the environment they lived in. Pointed roofs are indeed built for houses that recieve rain; something that just doesn't happen much in arid Egypt. And as others have answered, there are quadrilateral shaped, flat-roofed houses in other parts of Africa including West Africa and not just the round pointed roof kind.

And just to show you the silliness with stereotyping the shapes of houses with certain groups of people:

Traditional (ancient) houses of Celtic Europe:

-

-

But according to you, because they are round and have thacthed pointed roofs they are "African-like" LOL

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtesy of Myra Wysinger:

African Cities and Towns before the European Conquest
 -

Benin city, prior to British conquest
 -

Ibn Battuta (travels from 1325-1354) writes about Kilwa during his visit to the Swahili Coast:
quote:
We stayed one night in this island [Mombasa], and then pursued our journey to Kulwa, which is a large town on the coast. The majority of its inhabitants are Zanj, jet-black in colour, and with tattoo marks on their faces. I was told by a merchant that the town of Sufala lies a fortnight's journey [south] from Kulwa and that gold dust is brought to Sufala from Yufi in the country of the Limis, which is a month's journey distant from it. Kulwa is a very fine and substantially built town, and all its buildings are of wood.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/1354-ibnbattuta.html
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obelisk_18
Member # 11966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obelisk_18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

why dont ya just say bump instead eh?
Posts: 447 | From: Somewhere son... | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

Egyptian homes were constructed from mudbrick. The houses were typically built with windows set high to let hot air escape during the day, while allowing cool air during the night.

More on Egyptian housing and houseplans here:

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/town

http://www.ancient-egypt-online.com/ancient-egypt-houses.html

Not only were Egyptian houses flat, but the owners and family would spend time on the roofs.

Oh and here are a couple of books on African housing and architecture:

-
Ancient African Town (Metropolis)
by Fiona MacDonald

-
African Architecture: Evolution and Transformation
by Nnamdi Elleh

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, I remember from an old thread way back that someone (maybe Ausar) brought up the fact that remains of round huts with pointed roofs were found dating back to predynastic times, and that such houses were depicted in sacred texts like the Book of the Dead, as if they were of some ritual or religious significance. Perhaps these houses represented the ancestors.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ ...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com