EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ancient Egyptian and east african hair styles. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ancient Egyptian and east african hair styles.
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:

Fertility figure/doll: Bagarra, Sudan

-

Reference:

Hair in African Art and Culture, by Roy Sieber, The Museum for African Art - New York (2000)

Ancient Egyptian fertility doll
 -

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LindaGabriel
Member # 17738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LindaGabriel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love these hairstyles, I see a lot of these in an online store that sells hair wigs in Atlanta.
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Yes, one excellent point that Ausar and others have made to tie the ancient Egyptians to other black Africans is that the natural hair of most Egyptians is actually shorter than many think which is why Egyptians (both men and women alike) wore wigs and/or extensions. And again, the Egyptian hairstyles are no different from those found in other parts of Africa.
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Where are the Eurasian hairstyles of Egypt? [Big Grin]
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Libyan hairstyle

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Okay, and how are those Eurasian??!

Those Libyan braids still look African, and so do their ostrich feather plumes you fool! [Big Grin]

Here is more well preserved portrait showing how most ancient Libyans looked like.

-

^ The paint is faded but you can still see that the original color is dark brown like the Egyptians i.e. BLACK!

As for their features, they are no different from modern (black) Berbers like the man below.

-

Eurasian?? I highly doubt it!

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
[QB] ^ Okay, and how are those Eurasian??!

Those Libyan braids still look African, and so do their ostrich feather plumes you fool! [Big Grin]

Here is more well preserved portrait showing how most ancient Libyans looked like.

-

^ The paint is faded but you can still see that the original color is dark brown like the Egyptians i.e. BLACK!

Actually my post was not a reply to your post
but a general reply to the thread starter, and example of an African hairstyle.
The word "black" as applied to brown skinned people in the context you are using it is meaningless and adopting a stereotyping mentality.

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the lion

Don't really want to get between you and Djehuti's arguements but I was just wondering, What would you call those brown skinned individuals if Black to you is too strong a term?

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by KING:
the lion

Don't really want to get between you and Djehuti's arguments but I was just wondering, What would you call those brown skinned individuals if Black to you is too strong a term?

Peace

I would call them a brown skinned individual like you did. To call them black is an inaccurate stereotype that betrays the color sense. Many of us have digested this stereotype and think it's correct now, that skin is a source of pride.
I don't know why you assume black is a strong term. Is "green" a strong term?.

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the lion

So what you are trying to say is that ALL Africans are Brown skinned indviduals and calling them "Black" is a stereotype?

I assumed that Black was too strong a word for you because you claim it as an stereotype?

Don't forget the people you want to claim as "mixed" called there country "Blacks" KM.T.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
the lion

So what you are trying to say is that ALL Africans are Brown skinned indviduals and calling them "Black" is a stereotype?

I assumed that Black was too strong a word for you because you claim it as an stereotype?

Don't forget the people you want to claim as "mixed" called there country "Blacks" KM.T.

Peace

If KMT was a word meaning "dark skin" the the Kemites would have referred to the Kushites as KMT.
KMT is a word that refers to a geographical region.
For example the Isonghee who invented the abacus
are not KMT.

JMT2
Member # 16951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMT2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lion:
quote:
the lion

Peace

If KMT was a word meaning "dark skin" the the Kemites would have referred to the Kushites as KMT.
KMT is a word that refers to a geographical region.
For example the Isonghee who invented the abacus
are not KMT.

-
Posts: 191 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the lion

Who is you to try and change the meaning of the Word KM.T if it means a geographical region, then where is the letters for this?

What people DO know is that KM with the T at the end makes it a feminine and it is plainly BLACKS. The Hyroglphs for KM shows a piece of wood burnt at the end does not Hint at all about geography.

What makes you think you know more about these words then the Kemetians themselves?

Peace

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the lion

To make it more clear for you to understand:

Km.t nw.t > equivalent to black people/ the blacks

Km.t yw > equivalent to citizens/black people

Kememou > again black people, an alternative to the above

rm.t.km.t > again citizens/black people

Now after this your really going to have to give up on your "Mixed" Egypt. If you want mix then look no further then Greece. Greece had a little of Africa and Asia.

Peace

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
the lion

Who is you to try and change the meaning of the Word KM.T if it means a geographical region, then where is the letters for this?

What people DO know is that KM with the T at the end makes it a feminine and it is plainly BLACKS. The Hyroglphs for KM shows a piece of wood burnt at the end does not Hint at all about geography.

What makes you think you know more about these words then the Kemetians themselves?

Peace

I am going by the fact that the Kemetians used the word in a geographical context rather than a racial context.
If they were using it in racial context the Kushites would be KMT.
It is you who are inserting that.

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the lion

Please post the FACTS you claim to be following???

What we Know about KM.T is exactly how I worded it. I did not twist the words to serve my Ideas, I just relayed it to you on how the Kemetians showed it THEMSELVES.

We also know that Ta Seti, a region in "Nubia" was also the first nome of Egypt so again we see Nubians and Egyptians linked together.

Before I go on further I want to know where you get your FACTS from.

Peace

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the lion

I will continue showing you how wrong you are on Kemet and Nubia, Nehasy if you can I hope you pick up this book:

The Book of Portals names a KM.t[nwt] composed
of Rt Rmt and Nhhsw inhabiting ancient Egypt and
ancient Sudan respectively, i.e., dwellers all along the
length of the entire Nile Valley known to its author(s).

This book groups Kemetians and Nubians and sudanese as one community as said by the Kemetians themselves. Why would you try and discount what the Kemetians said themselves?

Peace

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] the lion

Please post the FACTS you claim to be following???

What we Know about KM.T is exactly how I worded it.

you do the same hustle Wally does you take the word out of context and isolate it.
Black is a color. Nowhere does Budge indicate that it means Negroid or refers to skin color.
As you have pointed out the Egyptians most often use a medium reddish brown color to depict themsleves. They most often use the color black when depicting Kushites. although not always.

You notice the distinct and obvious difference that Egyptians often used to paint Kushites in scenes with Egyptians. That's the color black.
Is it the race black also? Look at what YOU are saying.
Imagine someone directing a mural project. They would be making some figures black and others brown. Do you think they had no words to describe those two different colors simply because there is no word for brown listed in Budge's dictionary?
Do you think they just used the two colors arbitrarily?
Many of the Egyptians were brown skinned yet they lived in an area which was renowned for it's fertile black soil. If you have ever seen this type of black soil you would realize that it's color is nearly black rather than like their skin tone which is most commonly medium reddish brown.
Open your eyes.
I'm wrong? Thens how me the mdr ntr where people are described in racial terms as per skin color or stop this.

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
the lion

No Hustle just TRUTH. Please post where you get your FACTS from. You said alot but it amounts to NOTHING just Hot air and special pleeding.

I gave you WORDS from what the Kemetians called themselves as well as people around them said. I have no problem with your POV the only thing is that it's WRONG so I corrected it and you still have not shown me where you get your FACTS from so like I will ask again.....please post where you get your FACTS from. While you ponder this read this to get a little visual of KM.T:

-

Now this shows you the chared wood and the word KM used with it. Now please show me where you get your FACTS from????

Peace

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I'm sorry King I don't read French, you win.

Also, please indicate the title and author of this book

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
the lion

Sigh [Frown]

It's not about winning...It's about sharing ideas and respectfully learning from each other
The French text is from Diop and Erman and Grapow's Wörterbuch der ägyptischen Sprache Worterbuch der aegyptischen Sprache (Expression of Particular Terms).

Peace

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
the lion

Sigh [Frown]

It's not about winning...It's about sharing ideas and respectfully learning from each other
The French text is from Diop and Erman and Grapow's Wörterbuch der ägyptischen Sprache Worterbuch der aegyptischen Sprache (Expression of "Particular Terms).

Peace

you continue to fail at putting the word in the context of a text from the mdr ntr that shows racial context. Diop does not prove that the word kmt is associated with skin color and not a black element of Egypt namely the black soil which was pointed out by ancient authors as being different from reddish brown soil in some of the neighboring countries. Just wishful thinking on Diop's and your part that the term means "all people with from medium brown to nearly black skin" .
If that is what it meant then the Kushites would be called KMT and theor would be a separate word for Egypt.
He attempts to cover himself:
"also used to describe themselves as a people as distinguished from all foreign peoples"
-Diop

Was Egypt the "country of black men" Of course not it was only one region in a whole continent of dark skinned people, many darker than the Egyptians themselves. The concept makes no sense.
If Egypt was the "country of black men" what was Kush?
"The country of the even darker?" ???

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
the lion

All see from you is your opinion and continued special pleeding.

Whether you agree with what KM.T stands for or not is just your opinion. The TRUTH is that was what the Kemetians CALLED THEMSELVES. I am still waiting on where you get your FACTS from. You have failed to provide anything of TRUTH in your posts. All I see is nonsense and whineing.

How do I fail in putting the word in context when I gave you a LIST of Words from the Kemetians and what they called themselves. Please don't tell me about the Black soil garbage that Eurocentric egyptologists came up with from Herodetus who also claimed the Kemetians as being a Black people. It seems you are really like those eurocentric Egyptologists who claim Herodetus was right that it was Black soil, but wrong that the Kemetians were Black people.

Now I will Continue to ask you what FACTS do you get your info from. I keep waiting to read these FACTS that trumps what the Kemetians called themselves and whos words are more reliable then the People themselves.

Peace

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the lion

What is so hard to understand??? Their is NO WORD in KM.T for soil. The word for soil or land in Kemetic language is TA so if you want soil it would be KEM TA. Why you bring up this soil nonsense is beyond me all I can say is try something else.

Peace

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

Actually my post was not a reply to your post
but a general reply to the thread starter, and example of an African hairstyle.
The word "black" as applied to brown skinned people in the context you are using it is meaningless and adopting a stereotyping mentality.

LOL Yet most people called "black" ARE actually brown in color. It may be a stereotype but at least it makes more sense the nonsense you and your Arabashed brained people of northern Sudan to call obvious black people as "green" or "blue".

-

-

The Egyptian king and the West African girl are both technically brown but obviously are both labeled as 'black' by everyone else in the world except by north Sudanese psychos who are also called 'black' by everyone else. Sorry if that pains you. [Big Grin]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Yet most people called "black" ARE actually brown in color. It may be a stereotype but at least it makes more sense the nonsense you and your Arabashed brained people of northern Sudan to call obvious black people as "green" or "blue".

-

This guy looks Indian to me, just an opinion
Doctoris Scientia
Member # 17454

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctoris Scientia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Yet most people called "black" ARE actually brown in color. It may be a stereotype but at least it makes more sense the nonsense you and your Arabashed brained people of northern Sudan to call obvious black people as "green" or "blue".

-

This guy looks Indian to me, just an opinion
^what the ****, get out of hear with that noncence. Please post me an Indian who resemble Tut.

Here some Africans that do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26516861@N00/4665912808/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9117951@N08/4644920575/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz77/3275290538/in/set-72157613282226912/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz77/3298434456/in/set-72157613282226912/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz77/3304048019/in/set-72157613282226912/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7334357@N04/4458982332/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypertornado/4208955247/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aprilrinne/3817564821/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/friedaryckaert/4435143791/in/pool-11816495@N00
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotravel/3872872284/in/set-72157622072720463/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotravel/3873012895/in/set-72157622072720463/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotravel/3873794038/in/set-72157622072720463/

I've seen so many damn Africans who more "Indian" then the above guy. You sound so ignorant, and it's obvious that you have an agenda, and have no knowledge of African populations and history.

Indian

http://parentsunderground.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/surgery1.jpg

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ It's obvious the guy (the deranged lion) is delusional. Every sane person can see that the bust of Tut portrays a black man and specifically AFRICAN. Yes there ARE black Indians, but Tut is African NOT Indian or any other Asian.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com