EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » King Tut Exhibit Prompts Debate on His Skin Color (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: King Tut Exhibit Prompts Debate on His Skin Color
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is so irritating about the documentary is to see in the re-enactment is so many white people playing AE. Although the main characters Kiya and Tuts wife were sistas, the characters were still overwhelmingly Euro, Leaving the impression of Euro domnance.
Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportbilly
Member # 14122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportbilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing, if you ever get in contact with these shoddy propagandists. Ask her why she refuses to use the skin tone the Egyptians used when they made his sculptures and paintings? Instead of playing this retarded game of, "But we don't know what color he might have been." We know, and so does she.

People like her use all kinds of BS rationalizations like, "Well, the pale-skinned depiction of Tut is accurate, because he was royalty, so he would have spent most of his time in the royal palace, out of the sun."
Funny, the Egyptians sure didn't seem to think that about him. They thought he was dark brown under all circumstances. So why the continuance of the denial then?

After so many years of claiming the world is flat the Flat Earth Society now has to admit they were wrong. Worse, that they'd been lying.
I know the peolpe on these boarsd have been fighting the good fight awhile but I hope you'll continue to be patient. Until recently I was one of those folks in the, "Maybe the Egyptians were a "blended" ethnicity."
But unlike me these people were supposed to have based their scultpure off of exhaustive "research." To me that research seems to consisted entirely of watching The Ten Commandments.
Most laypersons haven't seen Egyptian scultpures or wall-paintings. They haven't seen the Egyptian tomb paintings showing egyptians next to Caucasians and the way the Egytians clearly distringuished their skin tone from the whites. Most people still think the Egyptians were showing themselves as having really, REALLY dark tans. I'm a pretty smart guy (okay, I like to think I am!) but almost all of what I knew (thought I knew) of ancient egypt came from movies and novels written by the very people who ardently pretend that the earth is flat. It wasn't until VERY recently that I began to look into it with anything approaching more than a casual glance. Guess what I found, the depictions the Egytians left of themselves didn't look like some "blended" ethnic group (the new term many whites who still resist saying "black" are trying to use as a "compromise" term in the hopes critics like me will get off the "Tut was black" assertion) the depictions were defninitive, and the inescapable conclusion is that the Egytians were Africans of Ethiopian origin. Granted my "research"came almost entirely from pictures and sculptures they did, but what else do I need?
When I took the ton of evidence the Egyptians left of themselves, how excrutiatingly throrough they were in documenting themeselves and everyone around them, I had to throw out the white, Cecil B Demille version of AE. BTW there's a scene in the Ten Commandments when Nefertiti is being carried by presumably Egyptians on a litter, and the guy out front of blonde! [Big Grin]

Pressure MUST be applied to National Geographic, Time, whomever, that the dabate is over, was over the moment the first European looked at all those dark skinned people. Playing the game of, "If their skin is obsidian-black then they're just whites with a tan," is through.
The naysayers who have tried to put forward the sham of Egypt not being black are ginally realizing the jig is up.

I'm convinced beyond all measure the Egytians were mroe than "dark," they were black. I just can't square the hair of a nubmer of them. Where's they get that stringy hair from?

Posts: 248 | From: Way Down South | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is part of the misconception . . .indegenous Africans do not have curly or straigtish hair. It most be due to admixture . . . NOT. See sticky above.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sportbilly:

One more thing, if you ever get in contact with these shoddy propagandists. Ask her why she refuses to use the skin tone the Egyptians used when they made his sculptures and paintings? Instead of playing this retarded game of, "But we don't know what color he might have been." We know, and so does she.

That is a big question I want to ask Jablonski or someone else ask! What reason do we have to "guess" about his color when we have several painted depictions including his painted bust! Which leads me to another thing that upsets me greatly-- Why the hell is the Nefertiti bust so prized over that it is over-shown and displayed and now even fought over, yet you hardly hear a peep let alone even see the painted bust of the most famous ancient Egyptian of them all, Tut?!! [Mad]

Or maybe I am just asking questions that I already know the answer too, but I am just to angry to admit it! [Frown]

quote:
People like her use all kinds of BS rationalizations like, "Well, the pale-skinned depiction of Tut is accurate, because he was royalty, so he would have spent most of his time in the royal palace, out of the sun."
Funny, the Egyptians sure didn't seem to think that about him. They thought he was dark brown under all circumstances. So why the continuance of the denial then?

The funny thing is that Jablonski's works were cited on numerous occasions on this thread mainly in that since the first humans were sub-saharan Africans they were of course black and the same is true for the first humans to leave Africa and colonize Eurasia and the rest of the world.

Now, what is so hard about admitting that Tut and the Egyptian people, as a population who never left Africa were also black?! The whole "they were somewhere between ebony black and lily white" is a huge and hilarious (if not frustrating) cop-out.

quote:
After so many years of claiming the world is flat the Flat Earth Society now has to admit they were wrong. Worse, that they'd been lying. I know the peolpe on these boarsd have been fighting the good fight awhile but I hope you'll continue to be patient. Until recently I was one of those folks in the, "Maybe the Egyptians were a "blended" ethnicity."
But unlike me these people were supposed to have based their scultpure off of exhaustive "research." To me that research seems to consisted entirely of watching The Ten Commandments.

Yes, flat-earth society is a perfect label. LOL What you have are people who are desperate to keep the 'old ways' or traditions of Eurocentrism.

quote:
Most laypersons haven't seen Egyptian scultpures or wall-paintings. They haven't seen the Egyptian tomb paintings showing egyptians next to Caucasians and the way the Egytians clearly distringuished their skin tone from the whites. Most people still think the Egyptians were showing themselves as having really, REALLY dark tans. I'm a pretty smart guy (okay, I like to think I am!) but almost all of what I knew (thought I knew) of ancient egypt came from movies and novels written by the very people who ardently pretend that the earth is flat. It wasn't until VERY recently that I began to look into it with anything approaching more than a casual glance. Guess what I found, the depictions the Egytians left of themselves didn't look like some "blended" ethnic group (the new term many whites who still resist saying "black" are trying to use as a "compromise" term in the hopes critics like me will get off the "Tut was black" assertion) the depictions were defninitive, and the inescapable conclusion is that the Egytians were Africans of Ethiopian origin. Granted my "research"came almost entirely from pictures and sculptures they did, but what else do I need?
When I took the ton of evidence the Egyptians left of themselves, how excrutiatingly throrough they were in documenting themeselves and everyone around them, I had to throw out the white, Cecil B Demille version of AE. BTW there's a scene in the Ten Commandments when Nefertiti is being carried by presumably Egyptians on a litter, and the guy out front of blonde! [Big Grin]

Eurocentrism is perpetuated through propaganda, see here.

quote:
Pressure MUST be applied to National Geographic, Time, whomever, that the dabate is over, was over the moment the first European looked at all those dark skinned people. Playing the game of, "If their skin is obsidian-black then they're just whites with a tan," is through.
The naysayers who have tried to put forward the sham of Egypt not being black are ginally realizing the jig is up.

Unfortunately National Geographic actually started out as a racist publication of a Eurocentric view of the world and its cultures. Although it has gotten alot better over time, they still have some ways to go. A perfect example of this would be their genographic project where they labeled the E3b paternal lineage as "Near Eastern" in origin even though it originated in Africa!

quote:
I'm convinced beyond all measure the Egytians were mroe than "dark," they were black. I just can't square the hair of a nubmer of them. Where's they get that stringy hair from?
What do you mean by "stringy" hair, and to what specific individuals did you come to this idea? Most Egyptians had curly to wavy hair. And many shaved their heads and wore wigs sometimes from plant fibers. I hope you don't use mummy hair as an example since, the hair form, texture, and sometimes color can be altered from the embalming chemicals used in mummification let alone thousands of years of corrosion.
Posts: 26349 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Blaze
Member # 13931

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Blaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with these so-called professinals is that they try to incorpirate European custumes into this ancient African culture. Example,when scientist say that they meaning the ancient royal Egyptians would've been pale due to being inside all day is hella funny. Maybe royalty of Europe might have,but how can they imply that those ancients did that. It makes me so angry that scientist dissort the blantent truth. The dame writting is on the wall.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ It's much more than falsely imposing European customs! The issue is over actual biology, and what this scientist has done is try to obfuscate, muddy, and make unclear what skin color Tut was when we know the bio-history as well as history of the Tut and the Egyptian people. And we even have portraits of him found his own tomb!

But even the idea that he stayed indoors was silly, since archaeology shows pharaohs spent a great deal of their time outdoors as well.

Posts: 26349 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King Patroclus Exhibit Prompts Debate on His Skin Color
by James Mfume-Jackson NPR Stories

Morning Edition, August 28, 2017 • The King Patroclus exhibition has drawn millions of visitors to museums across the country since it opened two years ago. But some European-American scholars believe the exhibition makes King Patroclus look too Black. The debate over Patroclus’ race led the Diop Institute of Science Museum in Atlanta, where the show is on display, to sponsor a conference on the subject.

The show, Patroclus and the Golden Age of the Myceneans has drawn a steady stream of protesters since it opened in Seattle. But nowhere have they been as persistent or vocal as in Atlanta.

More than 500 people showed up to hear scholars discuss Patroclus’ race at the Diop Institute. The auditorium couldn't hold them all, so the museum had to set up big-screen TVs in the lobby. The three speakers said the exhibition on display upstairs gives the false impression that King Patroclus was white.

And worse, says Temple University professor Andrew DeCamp, it implies that Greece is not a part of Europe.

"We asked the students as they were coming out of the museum, you've seen the exhibition of King Patroclus, 'Where is he from?'" DeCamp said. "You would discover that people can see the exhibition of Patroclus, and come out and not know that they have seen Europe."

A forensic reconstruction of Patroclus’ head and shoulders at the Diop Institute exhibit is remarkably lifelike, until you get right up close to it. On the side of the glass case, there is a disclaimer that reads, "The features of [Patroclus's] face are based on scientific data. But the exact color of his skin and hair cannot be determined with full certainty."

"Our best guess is that he was neither lily white nor ebony black. He was probably somewhere in between," said Ebony Lawson, author of Greece: Between Africa and Western Europe.

Lawson teaches anthropology at Howard University. She also served as an advisor to the team from the National Geographic Society that produced the forensic reconstruction of King Patroclus that's currently on display. Lawson points out that it's only a working hypothesis. Scientists have not been able to retrieve much DNA evidence from Patroclus or other ancient Mycenaean cemeteries.

But they do have a good idea of who lived in Greece 3,000 years ago — and she says they probably looked a lot like Grecians today.

"Modern Grecians are a very heterogeneous group," Lawson said. "Some of them have very African features such as dark hair and eye color. Others of them have very European or so-called Southern European features. This is because the Greece itself was a tremendous byway for movement of people in the past and present."

Lawson says Patroclus’ skin probably looked like a mixture of those people, only darker, because as a young prince he would have spent most of his time outside, training as a warrior-prince and unprotected from the sun. The speakers at the Diop Institute presentation rejected that hypothesis. In fact, they seemed to enjoy making fun of it.

"Okay, now let's look what this really is about. This is shocking. See if you recognize the person on the right," said activist Albert England, who remain best known as the founder of White Folks Day. He got a big laugh by comparing the reconstructed image of King Patroclus with a picture of a young Missy Elliot.

The panelists believe the Grecians of Patroclus’ time had, for the most part, very dark skin, like people from North Africa. Charles Bush is the director of International Health at Harvard School of Medicine.

"Whenever ancient writers, Hebrew or Persian, make any reference to ancient Grecians' color, it's always darker than Western Europeans," Bush said. "There was no issue back then. There was no discussion. There was no debate. It only became a debate in the last 200 years."

"When we look at the representation of the Grecian royalty on the walls of tombs, we see a range of sort of moderate, tan-colored skin on the royalty," Lawson said. "This probably is a fairly close approximation of what skin color these people actually had."

Lawson speaks with the patience of someone who has answered this question many times before, and expects to keep answering it until more definitive evidence comes along. That's why she hopes the King Patroclus exhibition will inspire students to become interested in reconstructing the past.

That could let the students, Lawson says, "make a better stab at this in 20 or 25 years' time."

Until then, we'll have to make do with an educated guess.

--------------------
Black Roots.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice parody but some anthropologists seriously
did include Greeks among coloured people. And
as silly as it sounds, in the USA the civil rights
act of 1964 gave Greeks (other north Meds, east
Meds, east Europeans, all Jews and all orthodox
Christians) protection against discrimination in
the workplace.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Nice parody but some anthropologists seriously did include Greeks among coloured people. And as silly as it sounds, in the USA the civil rights act of 1964 gave Greeks (other north Meds, east Meds, east Europeans, all Jews and all orthodox Christians) protection against discrimination in the workplace.

Evergreen Writes:

I agree. In fact, the movie the Godfather was really about the assimilation of Italians into White Protestant culture in subtext. This is the quandry faced by Medi-Centrics historically.

For us however, my approach is to spin the whole "Were the AE's Black" debate on its head and focus on "Were the Ancient Greeks White". This is the proactive/offensive approach.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL at Evergreen's parody. Let me try it myself.

Olmec Exhibit Prompts Debate on Their Skin Color
by Joel Rose NPR Stories

Morning Edition, August 28, 2028 · The Olmec exhibition has drawn millions of visitors to museums across the country since it opened two years ago. But some Native American scholars believe the exhibition makes the Olmecs look too Spanish. The debate over Pacal's race led the Franklin Institute Science Museum in Philadelphia, where the show is on display, to sponsor a conference on the subject.

The show, The Golden Age of the Olmecs has drawn a steady stream of protesters since it opened in Los Angeles. But nowhere have they been as persistent or vocal as in Philadelphia.

More than 500 people showed up to hear scholars discuss the Olmecs' race at the Franklin Institute. The auditorium couldn't hold them all, so the museum had to set up big-screen TVs in the lobby. The three speakers said the exhibition on display upstairs gives the false impression that the Olmecs were Iberian.

And worse, says Temple University professor Dancing Moose, it implies that Mexico is not part of Mesoamerica.

"We asked the students as they were coming out of the museum, you've seen the exhibition of the Olmecs, 'Where are they from?'" Dancing Moose said. "You would discover that people can see the exhibition of the Olmecs, and come out and not know that they have seen Native America."

A forensic reconstruction of an Olmec king's head and shoulders at the Franklin Institute exhibit is remarkably lifelike, until you get right up close to it. On the side of the glass case, there is a disclaimer that reads, "The features of [this Olmec guy's] face are based on scientific data. But the exact color of his skin and the size and shape of many facial details cannot be determined with full certainty."

"Our best guess is that he was neither lily white nor coppery brown. He was probably somewhere in between," said Nina Jablonski, author of Skin: A Natural History.

Jablonski teaches anthropology at Penn State University. She also served as an advisor to the team from the National Geographic Society that produced the forensic reconstruction of the Olmec chief that's currently on display. Jablonski points out that it's only a working hypothesis. Scientists have not been able to retrieve much DNA evidence from Olmec corpses.

But they do have a good idea of who lived in Mexico 3,000 years ago — and she says they probably looked a lot like Mexicans today.

"Modern Mexicans are a very heterogeneous group," Jablonski said. "Some of them have very Southern European features. Others of them have very Native American or so-called 'Mongoloid' features. This is because Mexico itself was a tremendous byway for movement of people in the past and present."

Jablonski says the Olmec king's skin probably looked like a mixture of those people, only lighter, because the king would have spent most of his time inside his palace, protected from the sun. The speakers at the Franklin Institute rejected that hypothesis. In fact, they seemed to enjoy making fun of it.

"Okay, now let's look what this really is about. This is shocking. See if you recognize the person on the right," said activist Soaring Wolf, who remain best known as the founder of National Powwow Day. He got a big laugh by comparing the reconstructed image of the Olmec chief with a picture of a young Antonio Banderas.

The panelists believe the Olmecs had, for the most part, coppery-brown skin, like pre-Columbian Native Americans. Blind Owl is the director of International Health at Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta.

"Whenever ancient writers, Mayan or Spanish, make any reference to ancient Olmecs' color, it's always red," Owl said. "There was no issue back then. There was no discussion. There was no debate. It only became a debate in the last 200 years."

For example, Mayan historian 13 Death's Head wrote in the fifth century BC that the Olmecs were "red with straight black hair."

But as anthropologist Nina Jablonski points out, it's hard to say exactly what ancient historians meant when they described the skin they saw as "red."

Jablonski speaks with the patience of someone who has answered this question many times before, and expects to keep answering it until more definitive evidence comes along. That's why she hopes the Olmec exhibition will inspire students to become interested in reconstructing the past.

That could let the students, Jablonski says, "make a better stab at this in 20 or 25 years' time."

Posts: 7108 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, back, lota arguin goin on here:

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

What part of this don't you understand? You must REALLY believe that these people are dumb. They are LIARS. If you and I can see it, WITHOUT any "special" training, then WHY CAN'T these SO CALLED EXPERTS SEE IT? And what else therefore is the purpose of Egyptology, as a so-called "umbrella" discipline if it contradicts ALL the OTHER DISCIPLINES? That is the POINT some people FAIL to comprehend. If it CONTRADICTS and CONSTANTLY GOES AGAINST published research then WHY do you consider it a superset of these disciplines? It isn't. Pure and simple. It is simply a DESIGNED to do JUST THAT as has been SHOWN over and over and over by the PUBLICIZED statements of Hawass and others who REFUSE to [...]

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
And what part do you not understand, that Eurocentrism and Egyptology are not the same?! Egyptology is the study of Egypt and its antiquities plain and simple. Yes, the problem is that the field is plagued with and is indeed dominated by a Eurocentric institution but that is not to say that the field in itself is Eurocentric.[...]

Is Doug M trying to say that perhaps outside of ideal Egyptology, that is, what Egyptology [/i]should be[i/], it has always been Eurocentric?

EDIT:

Yes, it would seem I was quite correct.

quote:
DOUG:

That is all nice sounding theoretical talk, but I am talking fact not theory. [bEgyptology was built by for and in the defense of white supremacy. Nothing more and nothing less. SURE, IN THEORY it is supposed to be a[...]

Well, in that it (modern Egyptology) was started from a Eurocentric view, Egyptology was/is primarily motivated in the defence of racist white supremacist propaganda,. But that still does not make studying Egypt 'white supremacist' thing to do.

Yes it is possible Doug M that Egyptology is and has always been so heavily dominated and motivated by Eurocentrism, it has itself been and become a Eurocentric field - however

this just means what we've known (or come to know):

We should therefore just persist our discourse outside of popular/Eurocentric perameters, rules, and CONSTRUCTS. [Cool]

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:

King Patroclus Exhibit Prompts Debate on His Skin Color
by James Mfume-Jackson NPR Stories

Morning Edition, August 28, 2017 • The King Patroclus exhibition has drawn millions of visitors to museums across the country since it opened two years ago. But some European-American scholars believe the exhibition makes King Patroclus look too Black. The debate over Patroclus’ race led the Diop Institute of Science Museum in Atlanta, where the show is on display, to sponsor a conference on the subject.

The show, Patroclus and the Golden Age of the Myceneans has drawn a steady stream of protesters since it opened in Seattle. But nowhere have they been as persistent or vocal as in Atlanta.

More than 500 people showed up to hear scholars discuss Patroclus’ race at the Diop Institute. The auditorium couldn't hold them all, so the museum had to set up big-screen TVs in the lobby. The three speakers said the exhibition on display upstairs gives the false impression that King Patroclus was white.

And worse, says Temple University professor Andrew DeCamp, it implies that Greece is not a part of Europe.

"We asked the students as they were coming out of the museum, you've seen the exhibition of King Patroclus, 'Where is he from?'" DeCamp said. "You would discover that people can see the exhibition of Patroclus, and come out and not know that they have seen Europe."

A forensic reconstruction of Patroclus’ head and shoulders at the Diop Institute exhibit is remarkably lifelike, until you get right up close to it. On the side of the glass case, there is a disclaimer that reads, "The features of [Patroclus's] face are based on scientific data. But the exact color of his skin and hair cannot be determined with full certainty."

"Our best guess is that he was neither lily white nor ebony black. He was probably somewhere in between," said Ebony Lawson, author of Greece: Between Africa and Western Europe.

Lawson teaches anthropology at Howard University. She also served as an advisor to the team from the National Geographic Society that produced the forensic reconstruction of King Patroclus that's currently on display. Lawson points out that it's only a working hypothesis. Scientists have not been able to retrieve much DNA evidence from Patroclus or other ancient Mycenaean cemeteries.

But they do have a good idea of who lived in Greece 3,000 years ago — and she says they probably looked a lot like Grecians today.

"Modern Grecians are a very heterogeneous group," Lawson said. "Some of them have very African features such as dark hair and eye color. Others of them have very European or so-called Southern European features. This is because the Greece itself was a tremendous byway for movement of people in the past and present."

Lawson says Patroclus’ skin probably looked like a mixture of those people, only darker, because as a young prince he would have spent most of his time outside, training as a warrior-prince and unprotected from the sun. The speakers at the Diop Institute presentation rejected that hypothesis. In fact, they seemed to enjoy making fun of it.

"Okay, now let's look what this really is about. This is shocking. See if you recognize the person on the right," said activist Albert England, who remain best known as the founder of White Folks Day. He got a big laugh by comparing the reconstructed image of King Patroclus with a picture of a young Missy Elliot.

The panelists believe the Grecians of Patroclus’ time had, for the most part, very dark skin, like people from North Africa. Charles Bush is the director of International Health at Harvard School of Medicine.

"Whenever ancient writers, Hebrew or Persian, make any reference to ancient Grecians' color, it's always darker than Western Europeans," Bush said. "There was no issue back then. There was no discussion. There was no debate. It only became a debate in the last 200 years."

"When we look at the representation of the Grecian royalty on the walls of tombs, we see a range of sort of moderate, tan-colored skin on the royalty," Lawson said. "This probably is a fairly close approximation of what skin color these people actually had."

Lawson speaks with the patience of someone who has answered this question many times before, and expects to keep answering it until more definitive evidence comes along. That's why she hopes the King Patroclus exhibition will inspire students to become interested in reconstructing the past.

That could let the students, Lawson says, "make a better stab at this in 20 or 25 years' time."

LMAO [Big Grin]

What's good for the goose is good for the gander! [Wink]

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"..."
Posts: 22245 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some videos from Penn Museum on the history of race and science (and racism in science):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xCdtra-0Qs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15656C1jT6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2McW6cW__4

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^I am going to watch the symposium today.

quote:
For those who don't understand why Egyptology is an institution of white supremacy look at this list of the major institutions of Egyptology:

Egypt and Africa

* Supreme Council of Antiquities, Egypt
* National Center for Documentation of Cultural and Natural Heritage
* German Archaeological Institute, Cairo
* Institut français d'archéologie orientale, Cairo
* St. Shenouda Center for Coptic Studies
* Department of Ancient Studies, University of Stellenbosch

North America

* Brown University
* The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago
* Johns Hopkins University
* University of Memphis Institute of Egyptian Art and Archaeology
* University of Pennsylvania
* University of Toronto
* UC Berkeley
* UCLA
* The Wilbour Library
* Yale University

South America

* Uruguayan Institute of Egyptology
* Instituto de Egiptologia Rio de Janeiro

Asia

* Waseda University Egyptian Expedition

Australasia

* Monash University
* Macquarie University

Austria

* Academy of Sciences, Austria--Synchronisation of Civilisations

Belgium

* Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
* University of Liège

Czech Republic

* Czech Institute of Egyptology, Charles University, Prague

France

* Egyptology at the College de France
* Archeovision, Bordeaux

Germany

* Freie Universität Berlin
* University of Bonn
o Book of the Dead Project
* University of Göttingen
* University of Hamburg
* University of Heidelberg
* Heidelberg University Library
* University of Leipzig
* University of Marburg
* University of Munich
* University of Münster
* University of Trier
* For other information about German institutions see Virtuelle Fachbibliothek Ägyptologie

Italy

* University of Pisa

Netherlands

* Leiden University
* The Netherlands Institute for the Near East (NINO)
* The Centre for Computer-aided Egyptological Research (CCER)

Russia

* Centre for Egyptological Studies, Moscow

Switzerland

* University of Basel

UK

* The Griffith Institute Oxford
* University of Cambridge, Faculty of Oriental Studies
* University of Liverpool SACE
* Department of Classics and Ancient History Swansea
* The Egypt Centre, University of Wales, Swansea

And this does not even list the major Museums that have large amounts of Egyptian artifacts, most of which are NOT on public display.

99% of these institutions are OUTSIDE Egypt and NONE, other than that in Egypt, is in AFRICA. If you ask anyone from ANY of these institutions is Egypt part of African culture or civilization, you should expect and not be surprised that you will get the same nonsense answer that was given by Hawass and Ms. Jablonski. That is precisely because all of these institutions will package and disseminate Egypt to the media and public at large of these countries as being more closer to THEM than to Africa and Africans, meaning closer to white Europeans and their descendants than black Africans and their descendants. Not to mention that the vast majority of those who do field work in Egypt are ALSO white Europeans as well.

And there are many others such as those in Poland and South Africa to name a few. EVERYONE but Africans of course are supposed to feel that this is their heritage, as if Egypt is NOT in Africa.

The real reason why I prompted this thread was because of this post.
Posts: 22245 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ish tried to respond but your inbox is full

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Some videos from Penn Museum on the history of race and science (and racism in science):

quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:

I can't believe Doug is asking us are supposed to watch a video from The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology

U Penn is another white supremacist institution just like like all the rest on the list complete with a collection of stolen Egyptian artifacts.
Watching the video is legitimizing a white supremacist organization, it's cover

Posts: 42989 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

quote:

I can't believe Doug is asking us are supposed to watch a video from The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology

U Penn is another white supremacist institution just like like all the rest on the list complete with a collection of stolen Egyptian artifacts.

lol At your sarcasm. You dumb dork
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Punos_Rey:
Ish tried to respond but your inbox is full

I think it should be okay now.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

wake up, U Penn is no different from the other white institutions Doug listed, sarcasm has no effect on that fact
Posts: 42989 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Understand the history:

quote:

Samuel George Morton (January 26, 1799 – May 15, 1851) was an American physician and natural scientist. Morton, reared a Quaker but became Episcopalian in midlife, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, attended Westtown School, and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1820. After earning an advanced degree from Edinburgh University in Scotland, he began practice in Philadelphia in 1824. He was one of the founders of the Pennsylvania Medical College in Philadelphia and served as its professor of anatomy from 1839 until his resignation 1843. He was elected a member of the American Antiquarian Society in 1844.

Samuel George Morton is often thought of as the originator of "American School" ethnography, a school of thought in antebellum American science that claimed the difference between humans was one of species rather than variety and is seen by some as the origin of scientific racism.

Morton argued against the single creation story of the Bible (monogenism) and instead supported a theory of multiple racial creations (polygenism). Morton claimed the Bible supported polygenism, and within working in a biblical framework his theory held that each race had been created separately and each was given specific, irrevocable characteristics.

After inspecting three mummies from ancient Egyptian catacombs, Morton concluded that Caucasians and Negroes were already distinct three thousand years ago. Since the Bible indicated that Noah's Ark had washed up on Mount Ararat, only a thousand years ago before this, Morton claimed that Noah's sons could not possibly account for every race on earth. According to Morton's theory of polygenesis, races have been separate since the start.

Morton claimed that he could define the intellectual ability of a race by the skull capacity. A large volume meant a large brain and high intellectual capacity, and a small skull indicated a small brain and decreased intellectual capacity. He was reputed to hold the largest collection of skulls, on which he based his research. He claimed that each race had a separate origin, and that a descending order of intelligence could be discerned that placed Caucasians at the pinnacle and Negroes at the lowest point, with various other race groups in between. Morton had many skulls from ancient Egypt, and concluded that the ancient Egyptians were not African, but were Caucasian. His results were published in three volumes between 1839 and 1849: the Crania Americana, An Inquiry into the Distinctive Characteristics of the Aboriginal Race of America and Crania Aegyptiaca.

Morton's theories were very popular in his day, and he was a highly respected physician and scientist. The anthropologist Aleš Hrdlička called Morton "the father of American physical anthropology". Crispin Bates has noted that Morton's "systematic justification" for the separation of races, along with the work of Louis Agassiz, was also used by those who favoured slavery in the United States, with the Charleston Medical Journal noting at his death that "We of the South should consider him as our benefactor for aiding most materially in giving to the negro his true position as an inferior race."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_George_Morton

The University of Pennsylvania has a big legacy associated with folks like Morton as Philadelphia was important in the history of the development of the study of Science in the United States. It is also has a big Egyptology department.

This symposium was part of a series of discussions on race and the "science" of race in Academia, Anthropology and Archaeology. Meaning it is impossible to claim that these things don't exist.

https://prss.sas.upenn.edu/

quote:

The Program on Race, Science and Society (PRSS) is a new initiative at the University of Pennsylvania devoted to transformative and interdisciplinary approaches to the role of race in scientific research and biotechnological innovations, aiming both to promote social justice and to dispel the myth that race is a natural division of human beings.

But here is this point. We don't need more Liberal funded "social justice warriors". There needs to be more Africans trained to be able and go out and do their own research in Africa and elsewhere on human biological history instead of simply sitting on the sidelines being cheerleaders for against Europeans and their theories.

I mean some folks like spewing half baked amateur wanna be anthropologist info on forums instead of actually BECOMING real anthropologists and publishing actual papers.....

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

wake up, U Penn is no different from the other white institutions Doug listed, sarcasm has no effect on that fact
I am not talking about what they did in the past, I am talking about this symposium and how they put in effort to change / correct things.

Of course I understand the (historical and present) impact of these institutions.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
But here is this point. We don't need more Liberal funded "social justice warriors". There needs to be more Africans trained to be able and go out and do their own research in Africa and elsewhere on human biological history instead of simply sitting on the sidelines being cheerleaders for against Europeans and their theories.

I mean some folks like spewing half baked amateur wanna be anthropologist info on forums instead of actually BECOMING real anthropologists and publishing actual papers…..

I agree with this, and I addressed this point a few days ago somewhere else.

They do debate on Samuel George Morton, and how his work was systemically racist and steep and maintained by others (till this day).

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the motivation for why African people would want to enter anthropology is different from whites as Africans generally don't have a race issue so it would be about revealing truth as opposed to whites and their distorted reality.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
I think the motivation for why African people would want to enter anthropology is different from whites as Africans generally don't have a race issue so it would be about revealing truth as opposed to whites and their distorted reality.

This is certainly true, and that is what is being emphasized in at this symposium.

This is what archeology, anthropology and egyptology etc (now genetics as was explained) are western academic studies courses, with a recent history.

It has always been used to impose white supremacy.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

I mean some folks like spewing half baked amateur wanna be anthropologist info on forums instead of actually BECOMING real anthropologists and publishing actual papers.....

2017 top 200 Universities in Africa

Rank University Country
1 University of Cape Town za
2 University of South Africa za
3 University of Pretoria za
4 University of the Witwatersrand za
5 Universiteit Stellenbosch za
6 University of KwaZulu-Natal za
7 University of Johannesburg za
8 University of Nairobi ke
9 The American University in Cairo eg
10 University of the Western Cape za
11 Rhodes University za
12 Cairo University eg
13 North-West University za
14 Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University za
15 Universiteit van die Vrystaat za
16 Universidade Eduardo Mondlane mz
17 Makerere University ug
18 University of Ibadan ng
19 Cape Peninsula University of Technology za
20 Mansoura University eg
21 University of Ghana gh
22 Kenyatta University ke
23 Université de la Reunion re
24 Université Cheikh Anta Diop sn
25 Egerton University ke
26 Moi University ke
27 Durban University of Technology za
28 University of Dar es Salaam tz
29 University of Lagos ng
30 Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology gh
31 The German University in Cairo eg
32 Ain Shams University eg
33 Tshwane University of Technology za
34 University of Botswana bw
35 Obafemi Awolowo University ng
36 University of Khartoum sd
37 Université Mohammed V ma
38 Strathmore University ke
39 Addis Ababa University et
40 Université Abou Bekr Belkaid Tlemcen dz
41 Al Akhawayn University ma
42 Namibia University of Science and Technology na
43 Université des Frères Mentouri de Constantine 1 dz
44 Zagazig University eg
45 Université des Sciences et de la Technologie Houari Boumediène dz
46 Ahmadu Bello University ng
47 Université Kasdi Merbah de Ouargla dz
48 University of Zimbabwe zw
49 University of Fort Hare za
50 Assiut University eg
51 Benha University eg
52 Alexandria University eg
53 University of Namibia na
54 University of Ilorin ng
55 Covenant University ng
56 University of Nigeria ng
57 Université Cadi Ayyad ma
58 Université Mohamed Khider de Biskra dz
59 Sudan University of Science and Technology sd
60 Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology ke
61 Ndejje University ug
62 University of Mauritius mu
63 The British University in Egypt eg
64 Central University of Technology za
65 United States International University ke
66 Vaal University of Technology za
67 Université Mouloud Maameri de Tizi Ouzou dz
68 University of Rwanda rw
69 Université Sidi Mohamed Ben Abdellah ma
70 Jimma University et
71 University of Benin ng
72 University of Zululand za
73 Université Batna 1 dz
74 Université d'Alger 1 dz
75 Sokoine University of Agriculture tz
76 University of Zambia zm
77 Université Ferhat Abbas de Sétif 1 dz
78 Helwan University eg
79 Université Abdelhamid Ibn Badis Mostaganem dz
80 Université Abderrahmane Mira de Béjaia dz
81 University of Abuja ng
82 University of Port Harcourt ng
83 Mzumbe University tz
84 University of Swaziland sz
85 Modern Sciences and Arts University eg
86 South Valley University eg
87 Federal University of Technology, Minna ng
88 Jaamacada Kismaayo so
89 Misr International University eg
90 University of Venda za
91 Misr University for Science and Technology eg
92 Université Abdelmalek Essadi ma
93 Université Hassiba Ben Bouali de Chlef dz
94 Uganda Christian University ug
95 Université Ibnou Zohr ma
96 Université de Yaoundé I cm
97 University of Limpopo za
98 Université Djillali Liabès de Sidi-Bel-Abbès dz
99 Université Badji Mokhtar de Annaba dz
100 University of Malawi mw
101 Universidade Católica de Angola ao
102 Université Gaston Berger sn
103 Tanta University eg
104 University of Cape Coast gh
105 Ashesi University College gh
106 Federal University of Technology, Owerri ng
107 Université des Sciences et de la Technologie d'Oran dz
108 Université Ibn Tofail ma
109 Université de Lomé tg
110 Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences tz
111 Universidade Católica de Moçambique mz
112 Université Ahmed Ben Bella d'Oran 1 dz
113 Université Mohamed Boudiaf de M'sila dz
114 University of Education, Winneba gh
115 University of Agriculture, Abeokuta ng
116 Université Hassan II de Casablanca ma
117 Mount Kenya University ke
118 Africa University zw
119 Kafrelsheikh University eg
120 Université de Dschang cm
121 National University of Science and Technology zw
122 October 6 University eg
123 Université 20 Août 1955 de Skikda dz
124 Fayoum University eg
125 École Nationale Polytechnique dz
126 Minoufiya University eg
127 National University of Lesotho ls
128 Nahda University eg
129 Mbarara University of Science and Technology ug
130 Université de Ouagadougou bf
131 Université 8 Mai 1945 de Guelma dz
132 Al-Azhar University eg
133 Federal University Oye-Ekiti ng
134 Midlands State University zw
135 Université Saad Dahlab de Blida dz
136 Suez Canal University eg
137 Université Moulay Ismail ma
138 Minia University eg
139 Université de Sfax tn
140 Pharos University in Alexandria eg
141 Mangosuthu University of Technology za
142 Usmanu Danfodio University ng
143 Université de la Manouba tn
144 Université M'hamed Bouguerra de Boumerdes dz
145 Université d'Abomey-Calavi bj
146 Université IBN Khaldoun Tiaret dz
147 Future University Egypt eg
148 The University of Dodoma tz
149 Ghana Technology University College gh
150 Lagos State University ng
151 Walter Sisulu University za
152 Federal University of Technology, Akure ng
153 Université d'Antananarivo mg
154 The International University of Management na
155 Université Chouaib Doukkali ma
156 Babcock University ng
157 Bayero University Kano ng
158 Université Hassan 1er ma
159 Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration gh
160 American University of Nigeria ng
161 Universidade de Cabo Verde cv
162 École Nationale Supérieure en Informatique dz
163 Université Mohammed Premier ma
164 Ladoke Akintola University of Technology ng
165 Mekelle University et
166 Université Mohamed Seddik Ben Yahia de Jijel dz
167 Université Amar Telidji de Laghouat dz
168 Afe Babalola University ng
169 Université Larbi Tebessi de Tébessa dz
170 African University College of Communication gh
171 Technical University of Kenya ke
172 Daystar University ke
173 Université de Lubumbashi cd
174 Maseno University ke
175 Universidade Agostinho Neto ao
176 University of Eastern Africa, Baraton ke
177 Universidade Metodista de Angola ao
178 Université Docteur Moulay Tahar de Saida dz
179 Valley View University gh
180 University of Tripoli ly
181 University of Benghazi ly
182 University of Jos ng
183 Ahfad University for Women sd
184 Sohag university eg
185 Beni-Suef University eg
186 Damanhour University eg
187 Arba Minch University et
188 The Copperbelt University zm
189 Institut National Polytechnique Félix Houphouët-Boigny ci
190 Landmark University ng
191 Université de Monastir tn
192 Catholic University of Eastern Africa ke
193 International University of Africa sd
194 Nile University eg
195 Université de Nouakchott mr
196 KCA University ke
197 Nnamdi Azikiwe University ng
198 Kenya Methodist University ke
199 Damietta University eg
200 Université de Buéa

Africans seem not to be that interested in Egyptology. Why is this sudaniya ?

Perhaps the only universities that offer degrees in Egyptology are

University of Stellenbosch
Department of Ancient Studies
South Africa

and

University of Khartoum, Sudan
Department of Archaeology

Concerned member of public
Banned
Member # 22355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Concerned member of public   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I mean some folks like spewing half baked amateur wanna be anthropologist info on forums instead of actually BECOMING real anthropologists and publishing actual papers…..

I agree with this, and I addressed this point a few days ago somewhere else.

They do debate on Samuel George Morton, and how his work was systemically racist and steep and maintained by others (till this day).

Nott, Gliddon & Morton actually revised/changed their views to argue AE civilization was an indigenous development. Grafton Elliot Smith is also called a "racist" by Afrocentrist but I find his views on Egypt to be quite reasonable.
Posts: 949 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Concerned member of public
Banned
Member # 22355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Concerned member of public   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
2017 top 200 Universities in Africa
The top 20 are nearly all either in South Africa (dominated by white scholars) or in Egypt (dominated by Arab scholars). I might get called a racist (so be it), but blacks don't seem to be able to do research or run academia/universities to a high standard.
Posts: 949 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com