EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Happy Holidays with the Mdu Ntr

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy Holidays with the Mdu Ntr
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again the Holidays (Christmas/Kwamzaa/Hanukkah) are upon us and so, I would like to offer some expressions that you can use to customize your cards or season's greetings using the Mdu Ntr (M'dah.oo Nt'chair) language:

Season's Greetings - Shu Udjai (Shoo Uj'eye)

Peace on Earth - Hotep hr Ta (Hoh'tayp hr Tah)
Eat, Drink, and be Merry - Ounem, Su, Ounof (Wen'm, Soo, Wen'ohf)
Joyful, Joyful - Ounof, Ounof (Wen'ohf, Wen'ohf)

Salutations
"My love, always, (your name)" - Meriti enekh, (Mair'eetee n'aaykh)

"Your wife," - Hime.ek (Hee'mayk)
- husband, - Khai.et (Kheye't)
- son, - Sa.et (Sa'ate)
- daughter - Sat.t ek (Sayh'aak)
- brother - Son.et (Son'ate)
- sister - Son.t ek (Sayn'aak)
- mother - Maau.ek (May'wayk)
- father - Itafe.et (Ee'tah'fayk)

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Honi B
Member # 12991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honi B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Wally! (I make my own cards) How would you say or write "Happy New Year" ?
Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooops, small typo:
- father - Itafe.et (Ee'tah'fayk)
should have read;
- father - Itafe.et (Ee'tah'fayt)

...sorry
[Wink]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Honi B:
Thank you Wally! (I make my own cards) How would you say or write "Happy New Year" ?

This is easy, we know that "Ounof" = joyful and by using synonyms, we also get: rejoice, joy, gladness, happy, merry...

rompe = year

moui = new (adjective)

Now, in the Mdu Ntr, the ordinary adjective always follows the noun it modifies; rompe (the noun) moui (the adjective) - thus we have, and we say to you and to everyone:

Ounof Rompe Moui! (Wen'ohf Rohm'pay M'wee)
---

P.S. Of course if you would want to write "Happy New Year" 'technically' and therefore more obscure you would write;
Wnf Rmp.t Mwj [Confused] [Smile]

Ounof Rompe Moui! (Wen'ohf Rohm'pay M'wee)

Honi B
Member # 12991

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Honi B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to ask about another word (you may have already posted it somewhere,but I'm too short on time to "search" for it) the word is Blessings. Thanks again Wally and
Shu Udjai to you and yours!
[Smile]
Honi B

Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Very intersting, Wally! [Big Grin]
Posts: 26280 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Honi B:
I forgot to ask about another word (you may have already posted it somewhere,but I'm too short on time to "search" for it) the word is Blessings. Thanks again Wally and
Shu Udjai to you and yours!
[Smile]
Honi B

The expression "blessing(s)" is derived from the Ancient Egyptian ontological notions of the Ba + Ra + Ka and is thus:

Baraka = blessing, to bless

This word has (as have so many others) been adopted into the Arabic language with the same meaning; some other words derived from the Mdu Ntr are:

Moses = he is born of...

Mary = my beloved

Onofrio (Italian) = from "Osiri Won Noufr" or "Osiris the original Good/perfection" ; an example is actor Vincent Phillip D'Onofrio (Pyle in Full Metal Jacket and Det. Robert Goren in Law & Order: Criminal Intent.)
---

Barakai, Honi B - "my blessings, Honi B..." [Wink]

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Barakai, nebu! - "My blessings to every one! (for the New Year)
---Wally [Smile]

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Again, here's some music from Egypt, Sudan, and Ethiopia for the season:

(Note: you'll have to scroll down to "Listen to Samples"... )

Sabla Tolo: Journeys into Pure Egyptian Percussion
by Hossam Ramzy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004TRU5/qid=1149363171/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-1376722-3464735?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Nubian Magic
by Ali Hassan Kuban
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003S44/sr=8-6/qid=1149362515/ref=sr_1_6/104-1376722-3464735?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Ethiopiques Vol. 20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AQ69BS/qid=1149362918/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/104-1376722-3464735?s=music&v=glance&n=5174
(I especially like "Amlak Abet Abet" and "Soul Tezeta" ; but you really have to hear the entire cuts.)

Ounof Rompe Moui! "Happy New Year!" [Big Grin]

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Holidays! [Wink]

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com