EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT: AAPA 2008 Abstracts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: AAPA 2008 Abstracts
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evergreen Posts:

Program of the Seventy-Seventh Annual Meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists

Do new Alu polymorphism data
distinguish the Northern vs. Southern
routes out of Africa?

R.L. Raaum et al.

Support for an initial migration of anatomically modern Homo sapiens through the Levant rests primarily on fossil evidence from this region (e.g., Skhul and Qafzeh). Recent publications documenting many basal Eurasian mitochondrial haplogroups in Southeast Asia and Oceania has led to the alternate hypothesis that modern humans initially dispersed from Africa following a coastal route from the Horn of Africa, along the coast of present day Yemen and Oman, and proceeding quickly to Southeast Asia and Oceania. In order to better evaluate the most likely route taken out of Africa, we collected Alu polymorphism data for Yemeni, Bedouin, Palestinian, and Ethiopian population samples. These populations were chosen to cover the putative paths of the Northern and Southern dispersal routes. A principal components analysis of these data shows that these Middle Eastern populations are genetically intermediate between African and non-African populations. In order to further investigate population history in these groups, we used structure to infer African ancestry. Interestingly, the Yemeni, Bedouin, and Palestinian samples show differing patterns of inferred African ancestry,suggesting that these groups may have distinct histories. A genetically intermediate position between African and non-African populations could result from quite different histories, of which the two extreme possibilities are (1) populations founded in the midst of the initial out of Africa migration, or (2) a recent admixture of non- African and African groups. We performed coalescent simulations in order to better understand the expected pattern of inferred ancestry under these two scenarios.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:
A principal components analysis of these data shows that these Middle Eastern populations are genetically intermediate between African and non-African populations.

Evergreen Writes:

This new study seems to contradict the study by Lovell et al. which claimed that Ethiopians were intermediate between Africans and Eurasians. It now seems that "Middle Eastern" populations are the intermediate group. This makes sense in that Middle Eastern and Southern Europeans carry lineages that derived in Africa and spread to Eurasia post Holocene.

Evergreen Posts:

Annals of human genetics
2005 May;69(Pt 3):275-87
Lovell et al.

Ethiopia: between Sub-Saharan Africa and western Eurasia

Ethiopia is central to population genetic studies investigating the out of Africa expansion of modern humans, as shown by Y chromosome and mtDNA studies. To address the level of genetic differentiation within Ethiopia, and its relationship to Sub-Saharan Africa and Eurasia, we studied an 8 kb segment of the X-chromosome from 72 chromosomes from the Amhara, Oromo and Ethiopian Jews, and compared these results with 804 chromosomes from Middle Eastern, African, Asian and European populations, and 22 newly typed Saharawi. Within Ethiopia the two largest ethnic groups, the Amhara and Oromo, were not found to be statistically distinct, based on an exact test of haplotype frequencies. The Ethiopian Jews appear as an admixed population, possibly of Jewish origin, though the data remain equivocal. There is evidence of a close relationship between Ethiopian and Yemenite Jews, likely a result of indirect gene flow. Within an African and Eurasian context, the distribution of alleles of a variable T(n) repeat, and the spread of haplotypes containing Africa-specific alleles, provide evidence of a genetic continuity from Sub-Saharan Africa to the Near East, and furthermore suggest that a bottleneck occurred in Ethiopia associated with an out of Africa expansion. Ethiopian genetic heterogeneity, as evidenced by principal component analysis of haplotype frequencies, most likely resulted from periods of subsequent admixture. While these results are from the analysis of one locus, we feel that in association with data from other marker systems they add a complementary perspective on the history of Ethiopia.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neith-Athena
Member # 10040

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neith-Athena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is that contentious term again, "sub-Saharan." I do not quite understand how they are intermediate if they are Africans in Africa, and not north of the Sahara either.
Posts: 140 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you're being a bit 'tongue n cheek' but I too noticed that instead of trying to portray east africa as 'intermediate' it is now south-west asia sited as such.

Of course - what is or is not intermediate is a function of what is compared to what.

Europeans are intermediate between Asians and Africans.

Southern Europeans are intermediate between North Africans and Northern Europeans.

Clines anyone?

ps - Interestingly, the Yemeni, Bedouin, and Palestinian samples show differing patterns of inferred African ancestry,suggesting that these groups may have distinct histories.

^ Possibly signs of refreshing frankness? No more knee jerk invocations of the 'slave trade' every time African ancestry turns up in another Eurasian population? ?

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neith-Athena
Member # 10040

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neith-Athena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order to better evaluate the most likely route taken out of Africa, we collected Alu polymorphism data for Yemeni, Bedouin, Palestinian, and Ethiopian population samples. These populations were chosen to cover the putative paths of the Northern and Southern dispersal routes. A principal components analysis of these data shows that these Middle Eastern populations are genetically intermediate between African and non-African populations.

I am not exactly being tongue-in-cheek because they are playing games: since when are Ethiopians "Middle Eastern"? How can one expect any frankness or scientific veracity when the terms are constantly being changed around? And again, what do they mean by intermediate? That is a real, non-ironic question (mostly).

Posts: 140 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Yes, it could well be taken that way, in the manner which the author set up the phrase in that extract, but it seems that the intention here was to compare a population(s) from the African Horn, since this area is part of the alledged "Southern" route - the most widely accepted thesis about the earliest successful major a.m.h. OOA migrations, to those in "southwest Asia" [dubbed here as "Middle East"]. Perhaps this part of the abstract is a telltale sign of this intention:

Recent publications documenting many basal Eurasian mitochondrial haplogroups in Southeast Asia and Oceania has led to the alternate hypothesis that modern humans initially dispersed from Africa following a coastal route from the Horn of Africa, along the coast of present day Yemen and Oman, and proceeding quickly to Southeast Asia and Oceania.

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:

Of course - what is or is not intermediate is a function of what is compared to what

Yeap, and it is from this context, that it becomes more apparent that the "intermediacy" in this instance, doesn't necessarily have to contradict the intermediacy of Ethiopian in some other study.

This study appears to be saying that the so-dubbed "non-African" populations near to the African region that formed part of the said southern route taken in the aforementioned OOA migrations, when compared with the tested Africans and non-African populations further away from this African route, appear to lie in between the Africans and the non-African groups. This in my opinion would make sense, as alluded to in the last piece of the abstract, since these populations live right across the other side of the Red Sea, with east Africans being on the other side. Interaction between both sides of the Red Sea has been ongoing, and so, it isn't hard to imagine why those populations on the "southwest Asian" end of the Red Sea, would be relatively genetically closer to Africans on the other end of the Red Sea, than those populations much further away from the Red Sea. Recent African ancestry in Yemen, Oman or Palestine would tend to move these groups towards the African sample candidates, while "Eurasian" derivative lineages, would tend to pull them away from the said Africans, and hence place them in an intermediate position between Africans and non-Africans. If there is any indication of this rationale, perhaps it would be found in this piece of the intro post:

A principal components analysis of these data shows that these Middle Eastern populations are genetically intermediate between African and non-African populations. In order to further investigate population history in these groups, we used structure to infer African ancestry. Interestingly, the Yemeni, Bedouin, and Palestinian samples show differing patterns of inferred African ancestry,suggesting that these groups may have distinct histories. A genetically intermediate position between African and non-African populations could result from quite different histories, of which the two extreme possibilities are (1) populations founded in the midst of the initial out of Africa migration, or (2) a recent admixture of non- African and African groups. We performed coalescent simulations in order to better understand the expected pattern of inferred ancestry under these two scenarios.

Ethiopians in other studies lay in an intermediate position mainly for two reasons:

1) that region happens to be one of the most diverse parts of the African continent, having both populations bearing amongst the deepest clades and those bearing relatively shallower clades. Of course, those deep clades tend to produce polarity leaning towards other Africans, since these deep clades are rare to non-existent in non-African groups, while some of shallower clades in Ethiopians are shared across the Red Sea. So in a huge sample containing African specimens from virtually every region of the continent and specimens from not only across the Red Sea, but also from the other side of the Mediterranean sea and far east Asia, Ethiopians would appear to be intermediate between their fellow African counterparts and non-Africans.

2)Related to the above reason, is the fact that non-Africans clades are derivatives of a subset of African lineages coming from the eastern end of the continent, and are largely of the post M168 clades - hence M168 forming the immediate basis of non-African paternal lines, while L3 is the sole African mtDNA clade, that forms the basis of non-African maternal lines.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neith-Athena:

I am not exactly being tongue-in-cheek because they are playing games: since when are Ethiopians "Middle Eastern"? How can one expect any frankness or scientific veracity when the terms are constantly being changed around? And again, what do they mean by intermediate? That is a real, non-ironic question (mostly). [/qb]

Actually my reply was to Evergreen, yours simply posted a couple minutes ahead of it.

I don't think the abstract says anything about Ethiopians being middle-easterners.

A genetically intermediate position between African and non-African populations could result from quite different histories appears to reference non-Africans as Middle Easterners.

the Yemeni, Bedouin, and Palestinian samples show differing patterns of inferred African ancestry.

To this study Yemini, Benouin Palesinian = Mid EAst and Ethoipian = African (?)

Anyway I regard the *Middle-East* as a bogus term even when applied to Levantines.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
thiopians in other studies lay in an intermediate position mainly for two reasons:

1) that region happens to be one of the most diverse parts of the African continent, having both populations bearing amongst the deepest clades and those bearing relatively shallower clades.

By some measures the horn of Africa is the most genetically diverse area of the world because it is the fulcrum from which all populations dessiminate.

Erroneous Eurocentrism tries to imply that this makes the horn of Africa some sort of hybrid, but the more apt conception is *ancestral*, and ancestors cannot be conceived as hybrids of their own offspring.

Neith-Athena
Member # 10040

Rate Member
^ So the conclusion would not be that most Ethiopians are mixed with non-Africans? Rather, that those shallower clades are African in origin but gave rise to out-of-Africa dispersions?
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MS, can you tell me exactly what you mean by deep
clades and shallow clades by way of a partial list
example. At first I thought you were referring to
age but as I continued reading I'm not so sure I
understand what's meant. Thanks.

-----

I did a little research of my own but still am not
quite sure. Does the shallowness or depth of a clade
depend on how close it is to the root or the tip with
major clades being shallow while sub-sub-clades are deep?

Anybody who can help me understand this, I appreciate your help.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
^ So the conclusion would not be that most Ethiopians are mixed with non-Africans? Rather, that those shallower clades are African in origin but gave rise to out-of-Africa dispersions?

The study of the genetic pattern in a single chromosome from 1,600 individuals in 42 populations around the world found extensive variety in the DNA of groups in sub-Saharan Africa, but very few differences among those in Asia, Europe, the Americas and the Pacific Islands, researchers report.

This pattern of variation suggests that all non-Africans derive from a single common ancestral population which migrated out of northeast Africa," said Sarah Tishkoff, a graduate student at Yale University who is the lead author of the study, which is being published on Friday in the journal Science.

And of subtler interest....

research team led by Sarah Tishkoff of the University of Maryland has now resolved much of the puzzle. After testing for lactose tolerance and genetic makeup among 43 ethnic groups of East Africa, she and her colleagues have found three new mutations, all independent of each other and of the European mutation, which keep the lactase gene permanently switched on.

The principal mutation, found among Nilo-Saharan-speaking ethnic groups of Kenya and Tanzania, arose 2,700 to 6,800 years ago, according to genetic estimates, Dr. Tishkoff’s group is to report in the journal Nature Genetics on Monday. This fits well with archaeological evidence suggesting that pastoral peoples from the north reached northern Kenya about 4,500 years ago and southern Kenya and Tanzania 3,300 years ago.

Two other mutations were found, among the Beja people of northeastern Sudan and tribes of the same language family, Afro-Asiatic, in northern Kenya.

Both Nilo-Saharan speakers in Sudan and their Cushitic-speaking neighbors in the Red Sea hills probably domesticated cattle at the same time, since each has an independent vocabulary for cattle items, said Dr. Christopher Ehret, an expert on African languages and history at the University of California, Los Angeles. Descendants of each group moved southward and would have met again in Kenya, Dr. Ehret said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/science/10cnd-evolve.html?_r=1&em&ex=1165986000&en=d673320418266b7b&ei=5087%0A&oref=slogin

^ note: Beja are native to Sudan and Egypt.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Indeed, there are are certain nuances involved in the statement that Ethiopians are the "intermediate" group.

First of all, could this intermediate position come from the fact that some Ethiopians have Eurasian ancestry such as in the form of J?

And second, as Rarsol stated could this come from the fact that all Eurasians descend from a subset that is Ethiopian derived? If this is the case why call Ethiopians intermediate between Eurasians and "Africans" if Ethiopians are Africans?

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Simple: The deeper a clade, the greater tmrca has accumulated age. Hope that helps.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keins
Member # 6476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There is that contentious term again, "sub-Saharan." I do not quite understand how they are intermediate if they are Africans in Africa, and not north of the Sahara either.

This pseudo-science application-withdrawl-reapplication of terms is the norm in Eurocentric research terms when it comes to East Africa and The Horn. When their contrite definition does not fit their agenda, then they switch its meaning or make exceptions so that diffusionism works. Example:- Africa does not have any “advance” civilization, although Egypt is in Africa it does not count because of special circumstances. They divide Africa into north and sub-Sahara for racist and racialist reasons but Ethiopians, Somalis, and many east Africans are exceptions to this because it does not fit their dogmatic world view.
Posts: 318 | From: PA. USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Yes Keins.

This is also why racial classification paradigm is critical to them.

Pattern is:

Deny African agency.

If fail....

Claim any African agency is Caucazoid.

If fail...

Deny African agency is Negroid.

^ The third recourse is sucker bait, which still tricks too many Africanists.

The race paradigm only exists and is -only needed- to allow whites to claim the accomplishments of non-whites, and europeans to claim the accomplishments of non-europeans.

It's critical to understand that Eurocentric white supremacists *must* do this, because European and white agency in history is provably limited.

Ex: Neither whites nor Europeans exist in ancient history -> so let "us" invent the ancient African caucazoid - a true oxymoron.

This bluff needs to be called out, and never played into.

The race paradigm is not required, and in point of fact is directly contra the interests of Africanists - precisely because it side-steps the fundamental truth of the African origins of humanity, and with it, acknolwedgement of the antiquity of African culture, African civilisation and phenotypes [such as black skin].

The race paradigm allows Eurocentrists to lead us by the nose into a quagmire of evasion/irresolution, predetermined by mutual agreement to assert the illogical mantra of race.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yes, like when one of our members sadly said he would leave the forum all because we pointed out that accross Africa there were indigenous Africans that were not negroid by definition ... he was simply clinging on to (and broadening his definition of) negroid because he had accepted it as black-african, and thinking ES members were somehow threatenly that black-african connection to Kemet, and giving it to the 'caucasian' type, which cannot be the african type. Lunacy really.
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neith-Athena
Member # 10040

Rate Member
Are many African ethnicities lactose-intolerant?
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keins:
quote:

This pseudo-science application-withdrawl-reapplication of terms is the norm in Eurocentric research terms when it comes to East Africa and The Horn. When their contrite definition does not fit their agenda, then they switch its meaning or make exceptions so that diffusionism works. Example:- Africa does not have any “advance” civilization, although Egypt is in Africa it does not count because of special circumstances. They divide Africa into north and sub-Sahara for racist and racialist reasons but Ethiopians, Somalis, and many east Africans are exceptions to this because it does not fit their dogmatic world view.
True. As a result they go through verbal gymnastics to fake out the lame.

The Akkadian and Ethiopian Semite languages are closely related. The fact that J haplogroup appears in Ethiopia results from the fact that it was taken there by the Akkadians.

The correspondence between many African and Asian mtDNA and Y-chromosomes are the result of recent migrations of the Kushites into Asia after 4000 BC.

The scientist, following the Eurocentric model of history--which maintains that Blacks/Africans played almost no role in the rise of civilization-- push the dates for the appearences of these genes back tens of thounsands of years to deny the ancient model of history propagated by the Classical writters that the first civilizations were founded by Africans from Kush.

The dates for these genes are all the product of statistical models and are not supported by any ancient skeletal evidence.

Moreover this discussion of the migration of humans into the Levant is pure fiction. The earliest modern homo sapian sapiens to appear in Europe and West Asia, were Cro-magnon Africans carrying the N haplogroup 34,000 years ago. The Levantine material is at least 6-10,000 years later. Everyone knows this, but they manufacture myths about the Levant to make it appear that it was a great center of ancient dispersal for man, because the people who live there today are classified as "white"/caucasoid.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes Keins.

Pattern is:

Deny African agency.

If fail....

If fail...

The race paradigm only exists and is -only needed- to allow whites to claim the accomplishments of non-whites, and europeans to claim the accomplishments of non-europeans.

It's critical to understand that Eurocentric white supremacists *must* do this, because European and white agency in history is provably limited.

Ex: Neither whites nor Europeans exist in ancient history -> so let "us" invent the ancient African caucazoid - a true oxymoron.

The race paradigm is not required, and in point of fact is directly contra the interests of Africanists - precisely because it side-steps the fundamental truth of the African origins of humanity, and with it, acknolwedgement of the antiquity of African culture, African civilisation and phenotypes [such as black skin].

The race paradigm allows Eurocentrists to lead us by the nose into a quagmire of evasion/irresolution, predetermined by mutual agreement to assert the illogical mantra of race.

Race matters. The Liberal whites, Marxist and Conservatives all agree that Blacks should forget about race.

They say this because while they advise people to be race neutral they publish monographs and books which imply through the pictorial depictions of members of the ancient nations that they were white. Many of these picture that depict the caucasopid type are usually not that old, but they have suceeded in whiting the African out of ancient history.

As noted by DuBois, in his confrontations with Marxist and Liberal whites and their negro accomodationist middle class supporters--race matters. You can only get Blacks to understand their role in ancient history by demonstrating that these people were Black just like them. And not only Black, but Blacks called Kushites, who left Africa between 4000-3500BC.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Exactly!
Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so for you a root is a deep clade
and a tip is a shallow clade. Right?
Thanks, and can you help me out with
some kind of partial listing for a
clear visualization?

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Solver:
quote:

Simple: The deeper a clade, the greater tmrca has accumulated age. Hope that helps.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mentu
Member # 14537

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mentu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Rasol:
quote:

A spot on explanation as to why whites like to steal other people's history.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
J is not Eurasian. It is far northeast African.
quote:
Modern humans had been present in the Levant (the
east region of the Mediterranean) since at least
111,100 years ago, but the population was never
extensive and was limited to a few sites. During
this early phase of the last ice age, the eastern
Mediterranean was effectively an extension of
northern Africa
with similar climatic conditions
and animals.

. . . .

As we have seen, the Middle East has always been
an extension of north-eastern Africa
to both
grazing aimals and the humans who hunted them, ...

Spencer Wells
The journey of man : a genetic odyssey

Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, c2002
pp 98, 106

Eurasian doesn't enter the picture until KR-M9.

Geography => http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=004662#000002

Haplogroups => http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005791;p=2#000080

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

... Eurasian ancestry such as in the form of J?

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Race matters. The Liberal whites, Marxist and Conservatives all agree that Blacks should forget about race.
^ This is a political ideology. Even if every word above was correct [and it is not], it only explains why race is politically significant to you.

When you insert your political ideology into science however - you are in error. This defines psuedo-science.

In this sense your invocation of Marxism is apt.

Since Marxism also attempted to legitimize itself by claiming to be scientifically valid - ie - scientific socialism.

But socialism is and ideology, not a science... the same is true for racialism.

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Race is not just political it is Science. Science is full of race:

Am J Hum Genet. 1998 February; 62(2): 420–434.
Copyright notice
Different genetic components in the Ethiopian population, identified by mtDNA and Y-chromosome polymorphisms.
G Passarino, O Semino, L Quintana-Murci, L Excoffier, M Hammer, and A S Santachiara-Benerecetti
Dipartimento di Genetica e Microbiologia, "A. Buzzati Traverso," Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy.
This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
Abstract
Seventy-seven Ethiopians were investigated for mtDNA and Y chromosome-specific variations, in order to (1) define the different maternal and paternal components of the Ethiopian gene pool, (2) infer the origins of these maternal and paternal lineages and estimate their relative contributions, and (3) obtain information about ancient populations living in Ethiopia. The mtDNA was studied for the RFLPs relative to the six classical enzymes (HpaI, BamHI, HaeII, MspI, AvaII, and HincII) that identify the African haplogroup L and the Caucasoid haplogroups I and T. The sample was also examined at restriction sites that define the other Caucasoid haplogroups (H, U, V, W, X, J, and K) and for the simultaneous presence of the DdeI10394 and AluI10397 sites, which defines the Asian haplogroup M. Four polymorphic systems were examined on the Y chromosome: the TaqI/12f2 and the 49a,f RFLPs, the Y Alu polymorphic element (DYS287), and the sY81-A/G (DYS271) polymorphism. For comparison, the last two Y polymorphisms were also examined in 87 Senegalese previously classified for the two TaqI RFLPs. Results from these markers led to the hypothesis that the Ethiopian population (1) experienced Caucasoid gene flow mainly through males, (2) contains African components ascribable to Bantu migrations and to an in situ differentiation process from an ancestral African gene pool, and (3) exhibits some Y-chromosome affinities with the Tsumkwe San (a very ancient African group). Our finding of a high (20%) frequency of the "Asian" DdeI10394AluI10397 (++) mtDNA haplotype in Ethiopia is discussed in terms of the "out of Africa" model.

doi:10.1016/S0531-5131(03)01627-3
Copyright © 2003 Published by Elsevier Science B.V.
MtDNA coding region SNPs for rapid screening and haplogroup identification of forensic samples
Anita Brandstätter a, Thomas J. Parsons b and Walther Parson a, ,
a Forensic Molecular Biology, Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Innsbruck, Müllerstrasse 44, 6020, Innsbruck, Austria
b Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Building 101, 1413 Research Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20850, USA

Available online 12 April 2004.
Abstract
Analysis of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) is a promising application in forensic human identification. We selected 16 SNPs from the coding region of the human mitochondrial DNA in order to ascribe samples to 1 of the 9 major West European Caucasian mitochondrial haplogroups. The selected SNPs are targeted in two multiplex-systems, via the application of the SNaPshot™ kit, a multiplex method based on the dideoxy single-base extension of unlabeled oligonucleotide primers. By screening these SNPs prior to sequencing analysis of the hypervariable regions in the control region, we would be able to rapidly differentiate between stains or hairs in high volume case work or to eliminate multiple suspects from an inquiry.

Characterization of the Caucasian haplogroups present in the SWGDAM forensic mtDNA dataset for 1771 human control region sequences
Allard MW, Miller K, Wilson M, Monson KL, Budowle B
Download this paper for $25 PDF () View License Agreement

Source: JFS (November 2002)

Abstract
Currently, the Scientific Working Group on DNA Analysis Methods (SWGDAM) mtDNA dataset is used to infer the relative rarity of mtDNA profiles (i.e., haplotypes) obtained from evidence samples and for identification of missing persons. The Caucasian haplogroup patterns in this forensic dataset have been characterized using phylogenetic methods. The assessment reveals that the dataset is relevant and representative of U.S. and European Caucasians. The comparisons carried out were both the observation of variable sites within the control region (CR) and the selection of a subset of these sites, which partition the variation within human mtDNA control region sequences into clusters (i.e., haplogroups). The aligned sequence matrix was analyzed to determine both single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in a phylogenetic context, as well as to check and standardize haplogroup designations with a focus on determining the characters that define these groups. To evaluate the dataset for forensic utility, the haplogroup identifications and frequencies were compared with those reported from other published studies.

Determination of Human Caucasian Mitochondrial DNA Haplogroups by Means of a Hierarchical Approach
Human Biology, Jun 2004 by Santos, Cristina, Montiel, Rafael, Anglés, Natàlia, Lima, Manuela, Et al
Abst
In this paper we propose a hierarchical approach that allows the screening of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroups in populations that have essentially West Eurasian mtDNA backgrounds but that could have some non-West Eurasian contributions. To develop and validate this scheme, we used data on 18 coding region polymorphisms (17 analyzed by RFLP analysis and 1 by sequencing) and sequences of hypervariable segment I (HVSI) of the mtDNA control region from the Azores Islands (Portugal) population. The proposed scheme allows the characterization of almost all West Eurasian and African major clusters by means of RFLPs. Furthermore, the scheme includes information on situations in which sequencing is pertinent to defining a particular haplogroup. The validity of the scheme is ensured by (1) using relatively stable polymorphic positions, (2) screening more than one position to define a specific haplogroup, and (3) typing confirmatory positions. Dubious samples can be resolved by sequencing. The robustness of this approach was assessed by sequencing all samples for HVSI, taking advantage of the previously established relationships between RFLPs and control region sequence polymorphisms. The use of this hierarchical approach avoids the screening of unnecessary control region polymorphisms and therefore results in a more rapid and cost-efficient screening than one in which all polymorphic positions are analyzed. Even if this approach leads to a lower level of phylogeographic resolution than the sequencing of all samples, it allows us to define population movements on a continental level and can be applied, unlike sequencing all samples, with a low cost in any laboratory.

Enough said

rasol
Member # 4592

^ None of your abstracts, claim or prove the existence of race.

This is your usual - cut and paste of irrelevant spam - which signals your failure in any debate.

quote:
Enough said
translation: You have nothing of relevance to say.

I agree.

Of relevance:

Race and Genetics

After sifting through decades of data on cranial shapes, skin color, hairtexture, and now allelic variation, contemporary race scholars have concluded that no combination of physical characteristics can be used to define race because human biological traits vary continuously and nonconcordantly.

But if races are not distinct genetic categories of humans, then what is race and why might it matter to those studying human health or behavior?

Race is a social stratification process that creates identity and hierarchy through social interaction.

Conclustion:

Biomedical scientists are currently engaged in cataloging,
lumping, and splitting human genetic variation. In addition
to comparing individuals, scientists make genetic comparisons
between groups of people. When genetic markers
vary between human groups, the variation tends to be
gradual and continuous, rather than discontinuous. Between-
group variation is generally a matter of statistically
significant differences in allele or marker frequencies,
rather than an allele or marker that is present in one group
and absent in another.

The recent focus on between-group genetic comparisons
has raised inevitable questions about race. Contemporary
molecular genetic data show that humans are not
naturally divided into four or five discrete racial categories.

Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

quote:

OK, so for you a root is a deep clade
and a tip is a shallow clade. Right?
Thanks, and can you help me out with
some kind of partial listing for a
clear visualization?

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Solver:
quote:

I meant precisely what I aready said above - think relativity when reading into it. For visual aid, see the Y chromosome chart or tree - e.g. the deepest clades in the African context [and hence, world context as well], would be the likes of A-M91 and BR-M94 superclades, to be followed by B-M60 and CR-M168.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yes Keins.

Pattern is:

Deny African agency.

If fail....

If fail...

Which is exactly why "race" is null and void, though people like Sshaun still believe in it. [Wink]
Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Evergreen Posts:

Migration from medieval Europe to the Middle East with the crusades.

P.D. Mitchell1, A.R. Millard2. 1Faculty of
Medicine, Imperial College London, UK,
2Department of Archaeology, Durham
University, UK.

During the 12th and 13th centuries thousands of people moved from Europe to the Middle East to fight, undertake pilgrimage, or settle and make a new life. We investigated three populations from the crusader kingdom of Jerusalem, to determine who was born in Europe and who came from the Middle East. Oxygen and strontium stable isotope analysis was performed on tooth enamel from skeletal remains excavated from crusader contexts. Twenty individuals from the coastal city of Caesarea (10 high status and 10 low status), three soldiers from the castle of Jacob’s Ford, and two local Syrian Christian farmers from the village of Parvum Gerinum were
analysed. Results were compared with known geographic values for oxygen and strontium
isotopes. Unexpectedly, the crusader city of Caesarea appears to have been almost entirely populated by people born in Europe (19/20), with very few born locally (1/20). Historians have presumed that geographic origin would have affected social status, but this was not the case. The soldiers from Jacob’s Ford Castle included one from Europe, and two probably from the Middle East. Both controls from the farming village of Parvum Gerinum had spent their childhood in the area of the village, which matches our understanding of limited mobility among poor medieval farmers. This is the first time that stable isotope analysis has been applied to the study the migration of peoples between medieval Europe and the Middle East at the time of the crusades.

--------------------
Black Roots.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just about to say that message was especially for Marc & Winters.

quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:

The Liberal whites, Marxist and Conservatives all agree that Blacks should forget about race.

So? Ok, I get where you're coming from: The point being that the status-quo - maintained - can remind us of our 'races' position unabated. Right?

So their 'racial' status is left intact, above our own.

But you see, that only happens if we continue to believe in 'race'. As long as we play by their 'game', and in their social 'matrix', it serves their purpose.

You don't realize that they make up rules there, as evidenced by the ever changing terminology, definition flexible to their conveniance:

Example: Kemet goes from

1. 'Nordic invaders'

to
  2. 'Mediterraneans'

(and when such notions of invaders are refuted)

they pull
  3. 'dark African Caucasians' [lol]

out of their a s s, etc., etc.

When you define your own super-broad range for Africans, they're never foolish enough to play in your world, or to allow your definition to dictate they're psuedo-scientific one.

Think about it: if you made something up, for a reason, why let someone create something contradictory to your agenda?

The best approach would be to expose their lie as such.

Also, don't let what white liberals, marxists, and conservatives say turn you off; how easy do you want to make it for them to use psychology on the brothuh?

quote:
They say this because while they advise people to be race neutral they publish monographs and books which imply through the pictorial depictions of members of the ancient nations that they were white.

quote:
As noted by DuBois, in his confrontations with Marxist and Liberal whites and their negro accomodationist middle class supporters--race matters.
Ofcourse it does in the social and political senses.

Still, why accept, and fight from the petty underdog position given to you,

when you can out right destroy the system altogether?

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Actually the problem with Winters, Washington, and the like is that they too have been so consumed with racialism which of course was imposed on them by whites, that they play into white peoples hands and then come up with all this nonsense of negroid/Kushite Dravidian Indians, negroid/Kushite Chinese and negroid/Kushite Anatolians and even Celts!!

They are just as silly and stupid as the white racists they fight against. [Embarrassed]

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
When you define your own super-broad range for Africans, they're never foolish enough to play in your world, or to allow your definition to dictate they're psuedo-scientific one.
Precisely - this leads directly to a dead end.

And it serves the interest of the supporters of the status quo to continue this dead end.

The race typology of Negroid, K-zoid and Mongoloid, was FA-BRI-CATED by Eurocentrists in the 17th century to service white supremacy.

This paradigm must be rejected if we are to understand history free of the blinders of Eurocentric racism.

That's why the most profound current and -powerful- African scholars, such as Keita and Kittles, have moved beyound the self imposed limits of slavish repetition of Eurocentrism.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com