EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ancient Technology

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ancient Technology
Aliym
Member # 12012

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Aliym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Title of the Documentary: "Search of ancient technology"

Maybe its kind of imaginary documentary,,But I found it kind interesting so I'd like to share it,,Speacially the part of plane in first video I found it so interesting,,But the part of the Genetic Engineering sounded for me so imaginary,,However I dont know,,But I liked the documentary,,Enjoy.

Al Salam Alykom

Posts: 712 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KemsonReloaded
Member # 14127

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KemsonReloaded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More fantasy gibberish! When are some Europeans ever going to wake up, get real and stop fantasizing?
Posts: 213 | From: New York City, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aliym
Member # 12012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aliym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah,,Iam kind agree about the fantasizing matter,,Even though this cloudy mysteries are really so ineresting but yeah I feel there is kind of fantasizing.

But there is something I'd like to ask about it in the documentary,,This part about The Apis Bull,,This thing about that the scholars believe that the sarapeum designed to be the final resting place to Apis bull,,And then the archeologists expected to find a mummified bull,,But they found tiny broken bones,,And it mentioned that the scholars undecided about the exact nature of the remains they found there.

So Is this information accurate??,,And Are there any other opinions about the nature of the remains they found??,,If it is possible I will apperciate if there somewhere else I can read about this matter much more.

Thank you in advance

Posts: 712 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People long ago used to fantasize about going to the moon.
Others fantasized about the pyramids being power plant foundations.

Whites say the pyramids are big coffins, and blacks say, OK.

Imagination is not a bad thing.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aliym
Member # 12012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aliym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^Sure imagination not a bad thing likewise its so important in many aspects for humans,,But in same people do need to make a balance between realism and fantasizing specially when it come for studying something.

The videos above include many mysteries about ancient civilizations,,many of them really so interesting but I think it needs to be studying deeper from different sides than choose the outer vistors as just the only solution for those mysteries.

I dont know how to explain,,But if you watched the part about genetic engineering in it you might get what I wanna say much better.

quote:
Whites say the pyramids are big coffins, and blacks say, OK.
^^^ Sorry I must missed something about the world,,Since When they started to devide humans between black and white??!!!! [Confused]

However,,still hope to find someone on here who can answer my question about The bull Apis.

Have a nice day

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand corrected. On this site, whites is replaced with, Europeans. Forgive me.

Anyway, this African liked to imagine a new kind of processor to make computers run faster.
He found some money started a company, and transformed his imagination into something real. Sun Microsystem purchased his company, and now the processor he imagined powers Sun's high end computers. The processor is called, Niagara.

-

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KemsonReloaded
Member # 14127

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KemsonReloaded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name of the man above and below is Professor Kunle Olukotun.

-

Kunle Olukotun, Stanford University, USA

Kunle Olukotun has been a Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Stanford University where he has been on the faculty since 1991.

Olukotun is well known for leading the Stanford Hydra research project which developed one of the first chip multiprocessors with support for thread-level speculation (TLS). Olukotun founded Afara Websystems to develop high-throughput, low power server systems with chip multiprocessor technology. Afara was acquired by Sun Microsystems; the Afara microprocessor technology, called Niagara, is at the center of Sun's throughput computing initiative. Niagara based systems have become one of Sun's fastest ramping products ever. Olukotun is actively involved in research in computer architecture, parallel programming environments and scalable parallel systems. Olukotun currently leads the Transactional Coherence and Consistency project whose goal is to make parallel programming accessible to average programmers. Olukotun also directs the Stanford Pervasive Parallelism Lab (SPPL) which seeks to proliferate the use of parallelism in all application areas.

Olukotun is an ACM Fellow (2006) for contributions to multiprocessors on a chip and multi threaded processor design. He has authored many papers on CMP design and parallel software and recently completed a book on CMP architecture. Olukotun received his Ph.D. in Computer Engineering from The University of Michigan.

http://www.hipeac.net/acaces2007/index.php?page=lecturer&lecturer=Kunle%20Olukotun

Posts: 213 | From: New York City, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Roman World Map 105AD
 -

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re:Kunle Olukotun

Obviously a man of very intellect in the field of computer engineering. I checked his personal WP and found it curious that he mentioned only his doctorate from University of Michigan. Most likely he(Nigerian Yoruba) did his indergraduate and MA in Nigeria.

Each man has the right to lead his life as he sees fit but Olukoton's career is just another instance of contemporary Africa's present unfortunate[but changeable] situation.

Africa's problem is that its technological base is thin given the way in which those technologists(engineers, metalurgists, etc.) who could make a difference are siphoned off to the European world--provided they could be used in providing the West with extra brain-power.

For a long time China did not allow this kind of brain-power poaching and the result is that technological products at any level are exported from there. Cuba has done the same thing--the result being that Cuba is a good market for biotech products.

Without some kind of enlightened approach the human capital exploitation of Africa will continue in the way in which its physical human capital was exploited for the benefit of the West during from the 16th to the 19th centuries. The main difference is that the earlier human capital was unwilling; this time around it is forced to be willing and the selection is much more discriminating.

The "money system" post repeats that Africa is rich with diamonds--so where are the diamond processos and refiners? It shouldn't be Israel or Belgium or Holland.
The "money system" post repeats that Africa is rich with uranium, gold, cobalt, petrolem--but lacks the human capital and physical capital technology to mine and process such. Such requires a "machine tool" technology and skilled personnel at the level of Olukotun. But the enticements and temptations to lead a research life where everything is ready-made are just too strong for most.

Finally, it should be borne in mind that in a world where the West relies on its military technology and prowess to corner the world's resources especially those in Africa and West Asia it's the brain power of people like Olukotun and others who will be offered the DoD grants to do the research. Africom is already off and running.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Considering Africa has no computer manufacturers, no computer component manufacturing facilities, and unlike India and China, no government sponsored higher educational push, the brain drain of any high level resources is of no surprise.

South Africa is the world's number source of gold, yet these mines are in the hands of Europeans. The ANC failed to reverse this situation proving, money talks and bs walks.

Interestingly, free African nations do have the option of converting to their own gold or silver backed currency, but they have not.
I often wonder why Mugabe hasn't moved to do so, since external forces defeat his progress with increased inflation. With a precious metals based currency, they would be unable to do so.

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But computer manufacturing is now basic technology. Any engineering student(there are thousands in places like Nigeria) can just get the parts and assemble a computer. In fcat that's how most manufacturing is done these days: parts are supplied from the cheapest suppliers and the product is then assembled. So places like Nigeria and South Africa can easily do this kind of thing if the will is there.

Same for appraising, cutting, polishing and refining diamonds. Easy stuff, but the will is just not there. Maybe, it's just fear!

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
INTEGRATING computers is a basic skill set, but manufacturing computers platforms such as done by Dell, HP, and IBM, SUN requires more expertise in the areas of designing integrated circuitry and systems engineering as Dr. Olukotun above demonstrates.

The leaders of African nations must emphasize this direction and provide resources to allow their citizens to focus on this type of development.

You are correct in that Africa has the capability. The problem seems to be the lack of adequate leadership to allocate the budget required to kick off and maintain the effort.

It's amazing since Africa has all the raw materials and resources to, overtime, become a world leader in this area, but the current leadership misses the boat in actually leading their citizens to do it.

Also, Dr. Olukotun had two partners in his venture. Both of them were anglo.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by meninarmer:

I stand corrected. On this site, whites is replaced with, Europeans. Forgive me.

Anyway, this African liked to imagine a new kind of processor to make computers run faster.
He found some money started a company, and transformed his imagination into something real. Sun Microsystem purchased his company, and now the processor he imagined powers Sun's high end computers. The processor is called, Niagara.

-

Don't forget about Philip Emeagwali who invented the supercomputer!

Of course, I've known for a while that Africans are typically not only known for being just as 'smart' and scholarly as Asians but have been making great innovations in science. Particularly I've noticed Nigerians making alot of innovations in the realm of computer science.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Meninarmer,

But a good start would be just doing the assembly work en masse--then selling intra-contintentally at cheaper prices than are now available. New computersd are sold in Africa but they cost about 20% more than in the West.

I believe the whole problem goes back to the problem of "false consciousness"--something this website tries to grapple with. 99% of the Africa's dominant classes(presidents and their governments regardless of education) have liitle knowledge of African history or even the history of t he West. The sole exception might be Mbeki and to a lesser degree Mugabe.

The post-colonial educational systems are to blame it would seem. Very few universities in Africa try to work the ideas of Cheikh Anta Diop, Kwame Nkrumah or Frant Fanon into their relevant areas. Students who know about them usually obtain information on their own. So you can have students in engineering and the sciences like Olukotun who on obtaining their university training would be thinking non-stop about how to get to the West. There is no consciousness of African history beyond the local level--if that all. Such students cannot be blamed because their goverments do little to help the situation.

The West has been able to play a successful zero-sum game with Africa for the last 500 years. And it continues to do so without much impediment. Initially the West got Africa's muscle power--first in the Americas then later in Africa proper-- for free for 300 years as it sought to develop its economies. After machines and advanced technologies replaced muscle power in the West there was the question of what to do exactly with all that almost obsolescent--in the West's eyes--muscle. The solution as of now is simply to encase the bearers of all that excess muscle in well-guarded prison warehouses.

Yet the pay-out from the original crime still continues. The U.S. maintains its dominance in world athletics--China is now seeking to challenge that in time for the next Olympics--mainly because of African muscle and Brazil maintains its dominance in world football again because of African muscle. And Africa, even in jest, is so totally mesmerised that it has never reqested a loan back of its long-leased muscle power. But other Western nations, not to be outdone, actively seek to confer quick citizenship on already successful African muscle so that it could compete with the U.S. and Brazil.

So as 2008 approaches[actually ~5008, African time] Africa presents itself as historical oxymoron: the elder parent and grandparent of all of humanity but viewed by most of the world today as a young child still almost helpless and innocent about the way the world is run.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com