EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT. My SNP test results.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT. My SNP test results.
Prince_of_punt
Member # 9845

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prince_of_punt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Egyptsearch.

I have been a member of this site for atleast 2 years, however I have not posted much recently due to personal matters.

Today I got my SNP Y-chromosome test results back.

I was tested as E3b1 (positive on M35,M78, DYS391).

If anyone could clarify what my results mean I would be grateful. I expected to test at E3b1 due to my backround, but am slightly puzzled at the DYS391 and what cluster that would put me in.

Would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 265 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ausarian
Member # 13266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ausarian   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, your results simply mean that you are just one more candidate amongst the many who have contributed to the statistics which shows just how frequent E3b1 is in eastern Africa. Using Cruciani's nomenclature conventions, your chromosome would be placed in E3b1a, since you tested positive for M78, and naturally M35 [with E3b1 = M35 and E3b1a = M78].

The microsatellite locus of DYS391 as you have just noted, doesn't really say much at this point, without a number used to designate the tandem repeats, which would suggest its uniqueness at that particular locus from that in other E3b-bearing, and indeed other Y chromosomes. Without specifics on this locus and other presumably characteristic microsatellite loci of your Y chromosome, the mere mention of the DYS391 locus doesn't tell us much. However, since it is obvious that you've tested positive for both M35 and M78, from what I know thus far, the mention of DYS391 here may well indicate that it is associated with beta cluster-bearing E3b chromosomes, which have in part been discerned from other E3b chromosomes, except for those characterized by the M81 mutation [fairly common in Amazighan/Berber speaking groups] - i.e. if we go by Cruciani's nomenclature conventions [where M81-bearing chromosomes are now designated by E3b1b instead of E3b2], by a unique tandem repeat at the DYS391 locus designated by the number 9, i.e. DYS391 = 9. Now of course, E3b1a (M78) chromosomes bearing the beta cluster are largely characterized by the unique microsatellite loci alleles designated by DYS413 = 23/21 and the 10-repeat allele at DYS439, designated as DYS439 = 10.

This is the most I can clue you in on at the moment, unless we are given specifics of other microsatellite loci on your Y chromosome, that will give us an even clearer and more unequivocal picture of its place in the M78 network.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince_of_punt
Member # 9845

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prince_of_punt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply Ausarian much appreciated!

I have been researching quite a bit recently and came to a similar conclusion as yourself, as DYS391=9 may be E3b1 Beta cluster indication. Ofcourse as you stated I have not taken a further test beyond what I have now.

Being a novice at genealogy, I try to get as much information as possible from a wide variety of sources.

From what I have read, most Somalis have E3b1 with the rare DYS19-11 allele. I suspect that this puts me outside of this allele.

Posts: 265 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ausarian
Member # 13266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ausarian   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prince_of_punt:

From what I have read, most Somalis have E3b1 with the rare DYS19-11 allele. I suspect that this puts me outside of this allele.

Yes, the DYSI9-11 STR is generally associated with the gamma cluster, which is prevalent in much of the Somali samples collected. You could well be outside of that cluster, *if* the allele at DYS391 turns out to be that 9 repeat arrangement...which isn't exactly clear as of yet, but given its emphasis and no mention of any other specified microsatellite locus, I can only suspect that it represents the said 9 tandem repeat allele.

Again, more *specific* info about your Y chromosome at DYS19, DYS391 and other DNA segments is warranted before a clear judgment can be made about your place in the E-M78 clusters!

Posts: 233 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince_of_punt
Member # 9845

Member Rated:
Well on my SNP report it actually specifies as being positive at M96 and DYS391/p.

Im not sure what the /p means...

--------------------
Hello!

Ausarian
Member # 13266

Rate Member
^Short of any specific number following the locus-designation number, or that following the "p", or yet point blank - the serial letter designations of the nucleotide pattern in question, I can only speculate on what "/p" entails here. For instance, it could have something to do with the position of the locus on the chromosome - like say, the short arm of the chromosome(?) Any speculation however, would need independent corroboration...preferably from the testing party(s) who was responsible for your DNA results.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com