EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Naked Egyptian mummies need to cover up at Manchester Museum!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Naked Egyptian mummies need to cover up at Manchester Museum!!
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fury as museum bosses cover up naked Egyptian mummies to protect 'sensitivities' of visitors

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:21 PM on 21st May 2008

Mummies at a museum are being covered up after visitors complained about them being displayed 'naked'.

One exhibit, the mummified remains of Asru, a chantress at the Temple of Amun in Karnak, has been seen unwrapped for 120 years.

But now, along with the partially-wrapped male mummy of Khary and a child mummy, it is being covered after calls for more respect and dignity to be shown to the ancient remains at Manchester Museum.

They will stay covered from head-to-toe during a consultation period, during which the museum in Oxford Road, Manchester, is asking for the public's views.

'Incomprehensible' Bob Partridge has attacked Manchester Museum's decision to cover up mummies after visitors complained about them being 'naked'

Unwrapped: Dr Rosalie David, keeper of Egyptology at the museum

Critics have branded the decision 'politically correct rubbish' that will make the museum a 'laughing stock'.

The museum's collections of ancient Egyptian artefacts is world renowned and one of the largest in Britain.

Bob Partridge, chairman of Manchester Ancient Egypt Society, said the move was 'absolutely incomprehensible'.

He said: "We are shocked and amazed this has been done in advance of any 'results' from the public consultation.

Naked truth: Mummies at Manchester Museum are being covered up

"The mummies have always been sensitively displayed and have been educational and informative to generations of visitors to the museum.

"We hope the decision will be reversed. If not, it will be a sad time for Egyptology in Manchester and indeed the UK.

"I find it astounding the museum covers the mummies, when in the same building it holds the much publicised exhibition of the uncovered body of Lindow Man.

"Lindow Man died a violent death and it could be argued this could be more upsetting to visitors than the mummies."

Museum director Nick Merriman said: "We get a regular stream of feedback from people saying it is insensitive to display unwrapped mummies.

"We are trying to follow government guidelines about how they should be displayed with respect and sensitivity.

"f the overwhelming opinion of the public is that they want the mummies unwrapped, we would have to take that very seriously."

He added that the body of Lindow Man, the north west's iconic archaeological find, is displayed in the way it was found in Lindow Moss bog, near Wilmslow.

He said: "The mummies were not deposited unwrapped in the ground." The museum has asked for feedback on its website, which has sparked a fierce debate.

One person said: "Do those who dream up such policies even consider who pays their wages? Totally misguided." Another person wrote: "Cover up mummies and human remains? What utter rubbish."

Of the supportive comments one said: "I think the museum should be applauded in being experimental."

A message from George L Mutter, MD, associate professor of pathology at Harvard Medical School, said: "For decades Manchester Museum has been a leader in the scientific study of human mummies. The decision to hide the mummies from view is a step backwards."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1020891/Fury-museum-bosses-cover-naked-Egyptian-mummies-protect-sensitivities-visitors.html?ITO=1490

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo Nongowa
Member # 14918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jo Nongowa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ No respect for the dead.

But then again, whats new, Europeans and some West Asian nations have a tradition of treating the dead of the rest of humanity as something 'other', in contrast to their 'glorious dead'.

Posts: 387 | From: England, UK | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No respect for the dead??

And how does this look to you? What's the purpose of going to the museum then after all??

-

-

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's enough for them to put a piece of fabric on the private parts, kinda like how they dressed when alive.
Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
No respect for the dead??

And how does this look to you? What's the purpose of going to the museum then after all??

-

-

The Museum is nothing more than an attempt to rationalize the pillaging of lands and ancient cultures considered "Primitive" by Europeans and in order to satisfy their greed, Of course Africa from Ancient Egypt to Benin City, Mali, Ghana, Sudan...Africa seems to be the most pillaged.

No respect for the dead simply refers to the fact that the Ancient Pharoahs of the Nile never wanted to be dug up and put on exibit by a bunch and gazed at by a bunch of pink pale faced invaders.

I mean how would Euros feel if we dug up the British royals or the Popes of Italy and put them on display in the Egyptian Museum

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a Royal body had a key to the past and were so enigmatic and steeped in history I would help dig them up myself.

If I were to travel to see a Mummy and arrived to see a tablecloth I would be gutted!

I will tell you what this is, it is a cheap way of advertising the exhibition. Typical!
It has been uncovered for 120 years and now, when society is the most open minded towards nudity it has ever been we cover the body.

To even look at this on an ethical level will please the museum who clearly are trying to attract attention ready for the holidays next week

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt antiquities chief hails 'naked' mummies cover-up

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5inRBY4fRPJcg0BHtT8mKE4bLzeng

meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jo Nongowa:

But then again, whats new, Europeans and some West Asian nations have a tradition of treating the dead of the rest of humanity as something 'other', in contrast to their 'glorious dead'.

If they had RESPECT they would have left them where they laid in their tombs, as was their wish.
If you believe their religion, removing them bodies destroyed their souls in the afterlife.

What they did to Tut to get hold of his gold shows all the respect they had was much more for the gold than for Tut.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by meninarmer:
quote:

If they had RESPECT they would have left them where they laid in their tombs, as was their wish.
If you believe their religion, removing them bodies destroyed their souls in the afterlife.

What they did to Tut to get hold of his gold shows all the respect they had was much more for the gold than for Tut.

Tell this Hawass!!
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Originally posted by meninarmer:
quote:

Tell this Hawass!!
Man F- Zawi Hiwass. I agree with the poster that said removing the Body goes against all Kmetian culture and beliefs of the Afterlife.

Exactly just like someone said the "Egyptians" were never black. They except for a select few are a disgrace to the Ta-Mery and to their Kemmou Ancestors.

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissObsessive
Member # 15390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissObsessive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just seems silly and pointless to me. I know people are saying no respect for the dead by digging them up in the first place but thats done now and its been happening for years so if they were going to cover the mummies up they shouldnt have put them on display in the first place but i just think its pathetic Its hardly offensive or sexual in anyway its a natural process anyway so I dont see what the problem is and why it needs covering up. I just really dont see the point at all its just pathetic
Posts: 6 | From: Sunderland, UK | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com