EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Critical examination of the Sefar "smiter"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Critical examination of the Sefar "smiter"
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this thread I want to examine the so-called
"smiting of enemies" painting in Sefar by using
the source theGaul pulls it from.

To that end first note the name of the article
The Tassili n’Ajjer: birthplace of ancient Egypt?
which can be read in full context by following
the link.

The very title tells the direction of travel or
influence, Tassili the elder originator to AE
the younger receptor. That is what the author,
Philip Coppens is proposing. This is the exact
opposite of what theGaul supposes, origin and
movement from Egypt to Tassili.

I've tried to explain this several times but each
time it is ignored as if ignorance will make it go
away.

quote:
Originally posted by The Gaul:
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Harping on one piece from Sefar is disengenius
as that piece is not indicative of Fulani culture
and so bears no relevance to Fulani origins in KM.t

I would remind once again that SE Algeria is not
Egypt. Nothing ... shows a date contemporaneous
to Ancient Egypt nor transposition from the Nile
Valley to the Tassili massif.

... Tassili preceded Ancient Egypt and the smiter motif
first appeared in Sefar before later showing up in Egypt.

This is consistent with what we know of the middle
and lower Nile Valley absorbing immigrants from the
drying Green Sahara as well as those moving downstream
from Sudan.

the "smiting of enemies" rock art painting is clearly similar to Dynastic Egypt. Perhaps you missed this?

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something caught my eyes Altakruri,the bird headed goddesses,is that the ones that you said were faked?

Also I know you guys hate youtube cut and paste videos but I really like this one,a chance to see the Sahara in a three demensional setting.

Plus I kinda like Bauval's books.so yet again if you missed it here goes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHAqFIU61JQ

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The resounding silence of a response, given the subject of the intro citation, is noticeable.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well looking at the time It's still early yet.it's 17:30 where I Am at.

Not to complain but if some Jerk throw out an afrocentrics are the cause of of gobal-warming,expect to get at least a doz response in a second. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's keep this thread on point please, thank you.
The point of this thread is very specifically one
precise painting in Sefar supposedly depicting an
Ancient Egyptian pose labeled "striking the enemies."

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this excerpt we see Coppens sourcing Wim Zitman
for both Tassili birthing Egyptian civilization and the
"smiting the enemies" motif.
quote:
... Wim Zitman... argues for a connection between the rock paintings of the Tassili and the origin of the Egyptian civilisation, wondering whether the shamans of the Tassili might not have been the “Followers of Horus” that have been the subject of so much speculation in the past decade by the likes of Robert Bauval and Graham Hancock. Rather than from the mythical Atlantis, might they have come from a region southeast of the Atlas mountains, i.e. the Tassili?
Zitman offers a novel point of departure for the
Shemsu Hor (Followers of Horus) travelling from
Tassili to Egypt whereas we know their route was
from upriver in Sudan downriver toward Egypt.

Nonetheless neither Coppens nor his source Zitman
is proposing an Egypt to Algeria movement of motifs
or people.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Before getting to the heart of the "smiter" matter
let's look at two peripheral pieces

quote:
For Zitman, the origin of ancient Egypt can be found in a culture and area that stretches into the Tassili, where there is the pose painted on a cliff face in Sefar that would later adorn the front walls of several Egyptian temples. And that cannot be a coincidence.
I strongly agree there cannot be a coincidence
involved here but for a reason far from what
Coppens supposes. There cannot be a coincidence
because I say there is no "smiter" at Sefar as
analysis of photographic evidence will show.

In fairness it's Coppens who's placing overemphasis
on the Sefar "smiter" as seen here
quote:
... a religious doctrine, [] began to be written down on the cliff faces, including the “Great fishing god”, which by 3500 BC became incorporated in Dynastic Egypt as the symbol of Pharaonic control and which would throughout Egypt’s history be depicted on its great temple walls.

Let's just note that again Algeria is preceding
and giving direction to Egypt per Coppens. But
just what is it the Zitman actually says?

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Coppens sets a stage placing Zitman at odds with Lhote
quote:
Sefar. Little is written about the city. Lhote does not provide many details, except a map, showing its extent, as well as the presence of several streets and avenues, tumuli, tombs and something that he calls the “esplanade of the Great Fishing God”. Lhote named the character as he seemed to be carrying fish. But a closer inspection of the photograph that successive expeditions have taken, suggests what Zitman had always felt could be the truth: rather than a “fishing god”, was this character not depicted in a pose that the ancient Egyptians knew as “smiting the enemy”? It was a pose that was used by the Pharaohs to display their mastery over the forces of chaos.

The “Great Fishing God” of Sefar is thus potential evidence that there is indeed a link between Egypt and the Tassili.

But Zitman has a book of his own,

Willem H. Zitman
Egypt: "Image of Heaven": The Planisphere And the Lost Cradle

Adventures Unlimited Press, 2006.

In it he has a sub-chapter Lhote's Discovery of the
Prehistoric Rock-Painting called Nekhet
. There Zitman
makes an Egyptian connection case for a painting not
found in Sefar but at Tin Tazarift called "the Swimmer"
and identified with an image of Nekhen dated to 1190
BCE in a Ramesside era. But Zitman does have a lot to
say about the "smiting the enemies" pose.

--------------------

Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good content, which is hard to come by these days on ES.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ What about evidence of trade routes from Egypt to Western Africa via Chad? I have heard theories of such trade occurring as early as proto-dynastic times if not predynastic times.
Posts: 26300 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Before getting to the heart of the "smiter" matter
let's look at two peripheral pieces

quote:
For Zitman, the origin of ancient Egypt can be found in a culture and area that stretches into the Tassili, where there is the pose painted on a cliff face in Sefar that would later adorn the front walls of several Egyptian temples. And that cannot be a coincidence.
I strongly agree there cannot be a coincidence
involved here but for a reason far from what
Coppens supposes. There cannot be a coincidence
because I say there is no "smiter" at Sefar as
analysis of photographic evidence will show.

In fairness it's Coppens who's placing overemphasis
on the Sefar "smiter" as seen here
quote:
... a religious doctrine, [] began to be written down on the cliff faces, including the “Great fishing god”, which by 3500 BC became incorporated in Dynastic Egypt as the symbol of Pharaonic control and which would throughout Egypt’s history be depicted on its great temple walls.

Let's just note that again Algeria is preceding
and giving direction to Egypt per Coppens. But
just what is it the Zitman actually says?

I've been enthralled in Wally's thread, and really dont have much time to post here M - F. Since Wally's thread is winding down, this one caugh tmy eye today, so let's begin.

If you read the piece thoroughly, you will see that it ws an earlier expedition by Lhote that gave the name "Great Fishing God". This was Lhote's characterization and his alone. It was later expeditions in which closer inpections were given that Zitman then likened them more to the "Smiting of Enemies", and this is the image you find on Egyptian temple walls.

quote:
Lhote named the character as he seemed to be carrying fish. But a closer inspection of the photograph that successive expeditions have taken, suggests what Zitman had always felt could be the truth: rather than a “fishing god”, was this character not depicted in a pose that the ancient Egyptians knew as “smiting the enemy”? It was a pose that was used by the Pharaohs to display their mastery over the forces of chaos.
As for the dates, if you read this piece carefully, you would see they gave 5000 B.C. and earlier due to the fact that a wild Buffalo with long horns, which were painted on the Tassili rocks, became extinct at that time, thus is what archaeologist used to date the paintings:

quote:
One of the most prominent and common representations is the Bubalus Antiqus, the ancestor of modern domesticated cattle, resembling the modern east African buffalo, but with much larger horns. As it became extinct around 5000 BC, it has allowed archaeologists to date the Tassili rock paintings.
This coincided with similar rock paintings found between the Nile and Red Sea by Toby Wilkinson:

quote:
These depictions are very similar if not identical to what was discovered by the likes of Toby Wilkinson in similar sites and similar rock paintings in the region between the Nile and the Red Sea. He dated these paintings to the 5th millennium BC, which overlaps with the paintings of the Tassili.
So there were rock paintings from Tassili, to the Red Sea, and not covered by this piece further in West Africa. Nothing gave a direction or whether one site preceded the other. The title is merely meant to drag in readers...marketing 101. As you can see within this article:

quote:
For Wilkinson, these rock paintings show that pre-Pharaonic Egyptians were not settled flood-plain farmers, but semi-nomadic herders who drove their cattle in between the lush riverbanks and the drier grasslands. He also identified that several of these paintings were located around ancient trade routes. For a “semi-nomadic people”, it is by no means a long stretch of the imagination to argue that they trekked throughout the savannah, from east to west and backwards . And thus, in Pre-dynastic Egypt, Egypt and the Tassili were more than likely “one”.
They also quoted Lhote, though it sounds a bit "Hamitic" to me:

quote:
"The most common profile suggested that of Ethiopians, and it was almost certainly from the east that these great waves of pastoralist immigrants came who invaded not only the Tassili but much of the Sahara.”
So they used an extinct animal here to place the paintings to at least 5000 B.C. and earlier at BOTH the Nile to Red Sea rock art sites AND the Tassili.

If you have a link to provide that these have been radio-carbon dated, given that the Tassili site is difficult to access due to political unrest (hostages were taken in some expeditions as noted in this article), please post it for the forum.

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Well, bring it on, flesh it out.
Don't expect me to do it for you.
Be sure to list the items of trade
in both directions and where the
items were produced pre-trade.

Let's try to do things here like
you do in the classroom without
speculation or loose recollection
but with hard facts and supporting
evidence, please.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ What about evidence of trade routes from Egypt to Western Africa via Chad? I have heard theories of such trade occurring as early as proto-dynastic times if not predynastic times.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Continuing from post 7

Zitman defines "smiting the enemies" as a ritual
pose of a king of Egypt
quote:

in which he uses one fist to hold one or more enemies
by the hair, while his other arm is raised, this fist
brandishing a battle-axe or some other kind of weapon.

Zitman

Egypt

p. 53

Does Zitman rename the painting Lhote called the
Great Fishing God (Grand Dieu Pêcheur)? I can only
find him mention Lhote naming an open space the
"square of the Fish God." But I do not find Zitman
contesting Lhote on the name of this painting

-
 -  -

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
"Smiting the enemies" is a major theme for Zitman.
He associates it with the constellation Orion.

-  -

But when it comes to the "square of the Fishing God"
Zitman's associations are with the Nommo. Now I don't
know what ol' Grand Dieu Pêcheur is dangling, but a
Nommo is as good a guess as any.

I do know his pose is neither that of Orion or any
Egyptian king "smiting the enemies" nor does it fit
Zitman's written description posted above.

The whole idea of Grand Dieu Pecheur being renamed
for "smiting the enemies" has nothing to do with
Zitman or any expedition (or the numerous plain
old tourists visiting the site weekly) but springs
from the mind of Philip Coppens.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now this is the topic right here. I picked up that book by Laird, this is very interesting stuff.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Seems Al-takruri just doesn't want you as his b**ch anymore, but perhaps it was Wadi Howar that you indeed heard of.

quote:
Located at the southern fringes of the Libyan Desert, Wadi Howar is the largest dry river system in the presently hyper-arid and uninhabitable Eastern Sahara, stretching over 1,100 km from its source area in eastern Chad to the Nile. Geoscientific investigations have shown that during the early Holocene this wadi was the Nile's most important tributary from the Sahara. Later, it became a chain of freshwater lakes and marshes supported by local rainfall, until it ultimately became extinct about 2,000 years ago. A once ecologically favoured area of settlement and communication route between the inner regions of Africa and the Nile valley, Wadi Howar bears abundant prehistoric sites providing evidence of important population movements and interregional cultural contacts
http://www.uni-koeln.de/sfb389/a/a2/a2_main.htm

Also, the abundance of "mushroom" like patterns in both Tassili rock art and Nile Valley art at El-Hosh proves without doubt there was cultural contact, With the Nile Valley being the pre-cursor:

El-Hosh

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/archaeology/2001-03-06-egypt-oldest-art.htm

quote:
German explorer and ethnographer Hans Winkler surveyed the area in the 1930s and published a number of the drawings. These include bizarre-looking curvilinear designs, capped with mushroom-shaped protuberances
Tassili

quote:
He saw figures that were sprouting mushrooms all over their bodies, like at Matalen-Amazar and Ti-n-Tazarift. Others were holding them in their hands, and still other figures were hybrids of mushrooms and humans. He noted that there was one depiction of a shaman in antler headgear with a bee’s face, clutching mushrooms

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Seems Al-takruri just doesn't want you as his b**ch anymore, but perhaps it was Wadi Howar that you indeed heard of.

-
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
"Smiting the enemies" is a major theme for Zitman.
He associates it with the constellation Orion.

-  -

But when it comes to the "square of the Fishing God"
Zitman's associations are with the Nommo. Now I don't
know what ol' Grand Dieu Pêcheur is dangling, but a
Nommo is as good a guess as any.

I do know his pose is neither that of Orion or any
Egyptian king "smiting the enemies" nor does it fit
Zitman's written description posted above.

The whole idea of Grand Dieu Pecheur being renamed
for "smiting the enemies" has nothing to do with
Zitman or any expedition (or the numerous plain
old tourists visiting the site weekly) but springs
from the mind of Philip Coppens.

So I take it that you believe, or is taking the liberty to assume that Coppens is lying when he said it was Zitman who believed it to be akin to the "Smiting of Enemies" in the article:

quote:
But a closer inspection of the photograph that successive expeditions have taken, suggests what Zitman had always felt could be the truth: rather than a “fishing god”, was this character not depicted in a pose that the ancient Egyptians knew as “smiting the enemy
Why would Coppens need to lie about this if I understand you correctly?
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
The evidence in my series of posts speak loudly
for themselves. There is no disputing them as
they are direct citation of Coppens, Zitman, the
Sefar rock painting of the Grand Dieu Pêcheur,
astronomy, and Seti I themselves.

Conclusion:, there's no Sefar "smiter"
outside of Coppens' vivid imagination.

Only a properly cited quote referenced
from Zitman can void that conclusion.
Come back only when you can produce one.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
To theFrenchman

You have much unattended work waiting you in
the parent thread in the form of six questions
you keep running from.

Six times now I've asked you to man up
but childlike you shirk responsibility.
Yu have lost face by failing to answer.

"Ya a runnin an ya runnin an ya runnin away,
but you cyaan run away from yasef, no no no."

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh like you providing evidence Jews the world over are descendants of children of Israel? lol
Posts: 4165 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
To theFrenchman

You have much unattended work waiting you in
the parent thread in the form of six questions
you keep running from.

Six times now I've asked you to man up
but childlike you shirk responsibility.
Yu have lost face by failing to answer.

"Ya a runnin an ya runnin an ya runnin away,
but you cyaan run away from yasef, no no no."

The answers lie in the work provided by Moussa Lam linked there, and I've also asked you for this same evidence for the same time-frame to prove they were somewhere else if not the Nile Valley, yet NADA!! At least Clyde provided the wavy line ceramics to support our side, yet can't you find these somewhere in Senegal or Morroco for the same time-frame?

As far as the "Smiter" being the imagination of Coppens and lying on Zitman, I don't watch soap operas.

Also, the "Smiter" being the imagination of Coppens, is just as much so the "Great Fishing God" being the imagination of Lhote, and the "Nommo" being the imagination of Zitman with regards to this rock art. Regardless of any imagination, it's undeniable that this specific painting resemble the "Smiting" paintings of the Nile Valley. I don't need any of the men above to tell me that. I have eyes too.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
You sure have a funny way to concede defeat.
Not only do you not watch soap operas you don't
do reading comprehension or critical analysis.

I have successfully shown that Coppens is the
author of the idea that the Grand Dieu Pêcheur
should be renamed "smiting the enemies."

Coppens claims it's Zitman's idea yet no such
concept appears in Zitman's book Egypt.

I have juxtaposed images of Grand Dieu Pêcheur,
the constellation Orion, and Seti I striking
the "smiting the enemies" pose for compare
and contrast between the three to see which
match the description
quote:
one fist to hold one or more enemies by the hair,
while his other arm is raised, this fist brandishing
a battle-axe or some other kind of weapon

Every reader can judge for theirself whether it's
Zitman or Coppens who's challenging Lhote and if
the Grand Dieu Pêcheur's two upraised arms with
fingers extended looks anything like Seti I with
a mace in the closed fist of one upraised arm and
the fist of the other arm, which is held straight
out, grasping the hair of enemies.

Moral of the story: Grand Dieu Pêcheur is not what
you argue it to be and if you weren't gullible you
wouldn't have fallen for it.

I'm glad you brought it up as a lesson in what a
journalist untrained in Egyptology, ethnology, or
archaeology will do to the unwary. No Egyptologist
or other related academician has even noticed this
stuff from Coppens. You on the otherhand ... But then
who can blame a drowning man from grasping at straws?
Perhaps the Tin Tazarift "Swimmer?"

___________________________________________ The only thing the Great Fishing God resembles
 -  -

is the Great God of Sefar, another painting from the same Round Head era LSA Algerian town. By
studying the two of them, and others like them, we could learn a lot about this LSA SE Alerian
civilization other than abusing it as a doormat for Egyptian daydreaming.

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
You quite honestly are showing that puberty is still coursing through your veins with the immaturity displayed. If you have a problem with what Coppens wrote, instead of accusing the man, someone you personally don't know, of being a liar, why don't you e-mail him and correspond directly Detective Al? Then you somehow implicate me for simply bringing this information and point of view out for more to see? [Embarrassed] Honestly, what type of "critical analysis" can YOU personally do having NEVER been to neither Sefar or the Nile Valley? Throwing around all these innuendos about people you have never met about an historic site you have never been to. Really?

Maybe some "Egyptologist" have never made the claim because the great majority of them NEVER leave Egypt! Most of them won't even cross the border into Sudan for crying out loud! Much less all the work that has yet to be discovered in the Horn.

Makes for a juicy soap opera don't you think? Why would Coppens feel the need to lie on Zitman? What is the motive to lie on another person when he already writes his own books and does his own lectures? Wouldn't that discredit all his work and what he does on the book and lecture circuit? Why hasn't Zitman come out to distance himself from claiming such a thing by now? ?? Get on it Detective Pubes!!! This is gettin juicy!

As for the painting itself, to YOU it's just a "God of Sefar". To YOU it somehow means Tassili and SE Algeria would be a "doormat" to Egyptian pharoanic society. To others, it simply means Sefar may have had connections to the Nile Valley. Something that is pretty much indisputable at this point as more information arises. To others it simply adds another piece to the story of that part of Africa at that time. Don't go immaturily throwing your own pubescent opinions on what YOU think it means to others.

Also, comparing a rock art painting, painted on the rough surface of rock, to a painting done at a later date, on intentionally cut smooth stone blocks makes no sense. If you want to make a comparison, then compare it to some other ROCK ART of that time period. You are comparing artwork seperated by THOUSANDS of years.

As you can see, not even all of the "Smiter" carvings in Egypt are the exact same compared to the ONE you showed:

-

Whether it brings out the 16 year old in you or not, I cetainly can see the similarities, while noting one is from an earlier time period and less refined. ALL ideas have a beginning and as they grow, become more refined and more exact in their meaning. It's a simple thing to see here. At the end of the day, I only take it as something to think about. But you....the Great Egyptologist that has NEVER been to Egypt, probably not even Africa has it ALL figured out???

ALL of it is conjecture, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. No need to charge strangers with lying or call names because your own OPINION differs from theirs.

Now get on it Detective. Let's find out the true story... [Roll Eyes]

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Oh snap Detective! He's trying to implicate Toby Wilkinson too!

quote:
Some of the rock paintings also show boats, such as at Sefar and Aouanrhet. These depictions are very similar if not identical to what was discovered by the likes of Toby Wilkinson in similar sites and similar rock paintings in the region between the Nile and the Red Sea.
quote:
For Wilkinson, these rock paintings show that pre-Pharaonic Egyptians were not settled flood-plain farmers, but semi-nomadic herders who drove their cattle in between the lush riverbanks and the drier grasslands. He also identified that several of these paintings were located around ancient trade routes
Getem Detective Pubes!! [Eek!]
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, bring it on, flesh it out.
Don't expect me to do it for you.
Be sure to list the items of trade
in both directions and where the
items were produced pre-trade.

Let's try to do things here like
you do in the classroom without
speculation or loose recollection
but with hard facts and supporting
evidence, please.

First of all, I just raised the question. It's not a premise that I support since I don't know much about and have read it from a few sources. I was just hoping if you knew more about it. Second of all, the reason I brought it up was I thought it would help explain any diffusion or movement of cultural concepts between Egypt and the western Sahara. I don't argue one way or the other whether Egypt to Tasili or vice-versa. You know my personal premise is simply common origins in the Sahara period. I will try to find more about this Chadic trade-route on my own if you don't have the info.
quote:

Oh please don't take your anger out on me. Djehuti is b**ch to nobody. Takruri and I have had our disagreements and misunderstandings in the past but at least I'm man enough to settle it with him. Do not be an Openass as one is enough for this forum! [Wink]

And yes I do recall it was a Wadi in Chad where this route was discovered.

Posts: 26300 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Continuing from post 7

Zitman defines "smiting the enemies" as a ritual
pose of a king of Egypt
quote:

in which he uses one fist to hold one or more enemies
by the hair, while his other arm is raised, this fist
brandishing a battle-axe or some other kind of weapon.

Zitman

Egypt

p. 53

I believe the ritual weapon used to smite the enemies is the 'pear-shaped' mace, as it is the most common weapon used in the smiting scenes and is almost always found buried with deceased kings and even royal women since predynastic times.

quote:
Does Zitman rename the painting Lhote called the
Great Fishing God (Grand Dieu Pêcheur)? I can only
find him mention Lhote naming an open space the
"square of the Fish God." But I do not find Zitman
contesting Lhote on the name of this painting

-
 -  -

I don't know about a "fishing" god, but I am aware of fish god or deity represented by a fish totem that was worshipped by various peoples across the Sahara from the Hausa in Western Africa to peoples in Chad. Even the earliest Hausa founding legends make reference to a fish deity.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
DJ I bumped up a Saharan thread for stuff about
trade and what not. Anyway that was a friendly
increase-the-knowledge challenge not banter for
barnyard bantam bouting. So please clue us in,
doubtless the main routes used after Islam were
in use for centuries if not millenia before Islam
and we know portions of the routes go back to the
stone age because of the presence of local works
crafted from imported materials in damn near every
region be it forest or Green Sahara.

--------------------

The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
quote:
Oh please don't take your anger out on me. Djehuti is b**ch to nobody. Takruri and I have had our disagreements and misunderstandings in the past but at least I'm man enough to settle it with him. Do not be an Openass as one is enough for this forum! [Wink]

And yes I do recall it was a Wadi in Chad where this route was discovered. [/QB]

No pubescent anger here. Where do you detect this? Just an observation...purely made in jest [Wink]

As for this painting, again, to purely base an argument on the artistic side, between artworks seperated by thousands of years does not hold.

What can't be ignored, besides the similarity in artwork, is the underlying essence is that of one who controls the land , i.e. one who controls the forces of chaos:

quote:
But a closer inspection of the photograph that successive expeditions have taken, suggests what Zitman had always felt could be the truth: rather than a “fishing god”, was this character not depicted in a pose that the ancient Egyptians knew as “smiting the enemy”? It was a pose that was used by the Pharaohs to display their mastery over the forces of chaos .
Also of note is that within both pieces of artwork from the NV and Sefar, is that it is of obviously an important person, since both are figures that wear a crown of some sort, whether it be a pharoah, king, or god figure.

As for the constant reference to a "Fishing God", again, there is only ONE man who made that reference, and his name is Henri Lhote. There still i sno consensus on what the Sefar figure is holding in it's left hand, and neither the septor-like figure in the right. How can you let ONE man define something thousands of years before his time, in a land he has no links to, while denying what others see in the artwork, is quite shallow and agenda driven behavior.

akoben
Member # 15244

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Oh please don't take your anger out on me. Djehuti is b**ch to nobody

No pubescent anger here. Where do you detect this?
Mary was merely projecting again. Obviously Great Jew's bitches likes to project. LOL
 -

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This piece ..

Other researchers, notably Wim Zitman, have identified an astronomic connotation to the various figures. He specifically focuses his attention on the so-called “swimmer”, depicted at Ti-n-Tazarift, and argues that this is in fact the depiction of a constellation. He also argues for a connection between the rock paintings of the Tassili and the origin of the Egyptian civilisation, wondering whether the shamans of the Tassili might not have been the “Followers of Horus” that have been the subject of so much speculation in the past decade by the likes of Robert Bauval and Graham Hancock. Rather than from the mythical Atlantis, might they have come from a region southeast of the Atlas mountains, i.e. the Tassili?

... seemed kinda interesting to me after seeing Myra's posting of this depiction from the Sefar Tassili N' Ajjer site.

Just found it interesting light of the fact Dogon knowledge was "perplexing" enough for them to wonder about them having had contact with Ancient Kemetians or people Kemetians had contact with, rather than the possible chance Kemetians' ancestors just might have met the Dogans'!

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
theFrenchman

Let me quote you:
"As for this painting, again, to purely base an argument on the artistic side, between artworks seperated by thousands of years does not hold."

Now let me ask you. Then why do you persist in
doing just that?

I have shown that Zitman makes no such appraisal.
I since I've cited Zitman's complete sub-chapter
on Lhote and shown that Zitman references not the
Great Fishing God at Sefar but the Swimmer at Tin
Tazarift, you must produce a quote in support of
what you keep posting in proof of its validity or
admit it does not hold water.

Having been asked to do this repeatedly already,
and with your failure to comply, is proof enough
you can't find Zitman saying any such thing. To
rely on Coppens supposedly relying on Zitman is
a but a chain of imagination. What's more, it's a
piss poor research methodology.

It's archaeological fact we want here not some
journalist's unsupported suppositions.

You may continue dissembling but the astute are not swayed by anything except facts, all grand
standing aside.

quote:

As for this painting, again, to purely base an argument on the artistic side, between artworks seperated by thousands of years does not hold.

What can't be ignored, besides the similarity in artwork, is the underlying essence is that of one who controls the land , i.e. one who controls the forces of chaos:

quote:
But a closer inspection of the photograph that successive expeditions have taken, suggests what Zitman had always felt could be the truth: rather than a “fishing god”, was this character not depicted in a pose that the ancient Egyptians knew as “smiting the enemy”? It was a pose that was used by the Pharaohs to display their mastery over the forces of chaos .

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
All subsequent reports since Lhote generally retain
his labels. Zitman, in particular raises no complaint
over Lhote's labelling of the Great Fishing God

But, pray tell, are you not doing the very thing you're
protesting, using one man to define something 1000s
of years before his time in a land he has no links to?

And as you yourself are a Frenchman, you should be the
last to grandstand about a land one has no attachment to.

quote:
How can you let ONE man define something thousands of years before his time, in a land he has no links to, while denying what others see in the artwork, is quite shallow and agenda driven behavior.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Here we see the "smiting the enemies" pose in the constellation Orion
and on a temple facade of Seti I. Duly note, one arm is outstretched
while the other arm is raised forming, from arm to arm, a 90° angle.

-  -

-

Also see the Great Fishing God in a
more than anything else, "hands up"
or a "behold" pose, forming a letter
W. Its fists aren't clenched but its
fingers are opened.

Orion/Seti I and the Great Fishing God
aren't nearly striking the same pose.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ The picture is not that clear. What is he holding? A fish or an enemy by the hair??
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I dunno what the objects are even after zoom.
I can't say its holding them because the
fingers are open not clenched into fists.

An argument can be made for a 'was'-like
scepter and a human head dangling by the hair.

But again I'd look to similar art right
 -  -  -
there in this Tassili for explanation rather than a place and time over 1000 miles and 3000 years away.

Ta Setis revenge
Member # 15713

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ta Setis revenge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In this thread I want to examine the so-called
"smiting of enemies" painting in Sefar by using
the source theGaul pulls it from.

To that end first note the name of the article
The Tassili n’Ajjer: birthplace of ancient Egypt?
which can be read in full context by following
the link.

The very title tells the direction of travel or
influence, Tassili the elder originator to AE
the younger receptor. That is what the author,
Philip Coppens is proposing. This is the exact
opposite of what theGaul supposes, origin and
movement from Egypt to Tassili.

I've tried to explain this several times but each
time it is ignored as if ignorance will make it go
away.

quote:
quote:

Harping on one piece from Sefar is disengenius
as that piece is not indicative of Fulani culture
and so bears no relevance to Fulani origins in KM.t

I would remind once again that SE Algeria is not
Egypt. Nothing ... shows a date contemporaneous
to Ancient Egypt nor transposition from the Nile
Valley to the Tassili massif.

... Tassili preceded Ancient Egypt and the smiter motif
first appeared in Sefar before later showing up in Egypt.

This is consistent with what we know of the middle
and lower Nile Valley absorbing immigrants from the
drying Green Sahara as well as those moving downstream
from Sudan.

the "smiting of enemies" rock art painting is clearly similar to Dynastic Egypt. Perhaps you missed this?

can you please do me a favor?
I need to find the link that had the picture of Septimius Severus the black emporer of Rome again...

I seen it in this site one day and forgot to copy the pic into my library....

You seem to be one of the very knowledgable ones that frequent this site...

can you help me?...

Posts: 81 | From: Newark, Nj | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Save to your hard drive immediately. On the 'net
bleached images are rapidly replacing this one.

-

Next time please start a different thread for a
request, thank you, no need to respond here in
this thread.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com