EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Famed Nefertiti bust a fake: expert

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Famed Nefertiti bust a fake: expert
Narmer Menes
Member # 16122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmer Menes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/famed-nefertiti-bust-a-fake-expert-20090505-au3g.html
Posts: 365 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old news!!!!!!!!

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001343;p=1#000000

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old news Narmer. There is a therad on this already but. . .

""The pigments, which can be dated, are really ancient," he added."

and

"The historian said the archaeologist had hoped to produce a new portrait of the queen wearing a necklace he knew she had owned and also carry out a colour test with ancient pigments found at the digs."

why carry out color test using "original" pigment. Isn't that a big no-no?

I am on the fence with this one. The bust being cut vertical may be an issue.

But I have come across some Ethiopian women that look like her.

- - oops beat me to it TL.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmer Menes
Member # 16122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmer Menes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured it was very likely old news, but as I am a rather sporadic member of these boards, I sometimes miss the news thats posted. Feel free to delete it...
Posts: 365 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very good fake using ancient pigment. Makes it more convincing to use actual Ancient Egyptian pigmentation. Something easily available at the time.

I think the bust is not entirely a fake. The real face had been sanded down and plastered over.

The missing eye and vertical cut is a clear give away. Fake!

--------------------
Across the sea of time, there can only be one of you. Make you the best one you can be.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think the bust is not entirely a fake." ????

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hammer
Member # 17003

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you say it is then we know it must be
Posts: 2036 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just Who is this Chick Nefertiti?

Her image is literally everywhere. It can even be found on
stamps and paper money in the Arab world. One would have to believe,
from all this exposure, this fame, that she was the quintessential Ancient
Egyptian queen. The epitome of the Ancient Egyptian lady of antiquity.
Small problem though, she doesn't look Egyptian! She doesn't even look
like the other portraits we have of her - the ones we rarely see. In fact she
looks like a white woman! Strange? Well, so is the story behind this famous
bust:

A German excavator by the name of Ludwig Borchardt 'discovered' the painted
limestone bust in 1912. (The same year Charles Dawson 'discovered' the fake -
British missing link - the Piltdown man. This hoax lasted 40 years.) The
circumstances of its export to the Berlin museum were the source of controversy
at the time. (Some suggested that Borchardt did a little of the painting himself.)
It did not go on exhibit until 1924!

One is immediately reminded of the fake Egyptian figure of Tetisheri, Queen
mother of the 17th and 18th dynasties, which also did not look Egyptian. It too,
looked like a white woman. The figure was part of an exhibit held by the British
museum in 1990. The exhibit was titled "Fake? The Art Of Deception." The
Testisheri hoax lasted 100 years.

Now we know that the Berlin bust is also a hoax.

"NEFERTITI" - THE UBIQUITOUS BUST & A FRAUD!
 -

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com