EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Big Myth:East Africans Represent the Ancient Egyptians (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Big Myth:East Africans Represent the Ancient Egyptians
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
quote:
"For too long, social and political commentators have talked and written
as though Africa lies outside the main stream of world historical
development--a separate entity to which the social, economic and
political patterns of the world do not apply. "

- Kwame Nkrumah - Class Struggle in Africa

These distortions can be seen everywhere, and on every topic, including even
this one:

1) the migrations of European tribes, their formations into ethnic groups and
nationalities, are presented matter of factly and calmly accepted as such.
i.e., http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/MA/GERMANS.HTM

2) in discussing African migrations, we suddenly shift to some amazing
distortions that simply defy common sense and logic -

-- a) 'Egyptians remained in Egypt'; but of course the Slavs, Goths, Romans,
Angles, Saxons, Greeks, did not remain in their homelands...

--b) 'there is no evidence of a mass exodus from Egypt to West Africa'; now
we're in the Bible! and what are described in Europe as migrations, in Africa
it suddenly has to become an 'exodus' or of Africans 'fleeing' - Africans,
perhaps the most mobile of groups on the planet, can only move from a
spot in order 'to flee' an oppression, nee exodus...

3) add nauseum

---

Ancient Egypt was a Pan-African state; a collective of African ethnicities
who were drawn to this land due to the similar enticements which would
lead others to migrate to Rome, to England, and to America...

Ancient Egypt was held together by culture and the unifying lingua franca
of the Mdu Ntr...

And like in Ancient Ghana, Songhai...Africans came freely from and left freely
to other parts of the Continent; this social pattern exists to this day.

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The linguistic connection between Western Africa and ancient Egypt deserves more attention from academia. Upon my own self admittance, most of my understandings is mostly based on second translations done by Egyptologist and linguists. So please donot take my position as definate.

When approaching this particular subject there should be a strong logical basis for such claims. This means employing a combination of the scientific method,logic and common sense. This also means that such claims should be air tight and can stand non-biased criticism. Yes, I realize everbody has bias including myself.

Let's explore some claims made. It was stated that there would be little material evidence of mass migration in times of war and faminine. This might be partially true,but its also relative to what population fled ancient Egypt and the size of this population. This point was glossed over by many of the posters. Its a fact untill the induction of the camel that large amounts of people could not go across the Sahara. Much of the means of transport in ancient Egypt was by donkeys and or boats. Oral legends are good and reliable but can also be tainted by foreign elements. The poster is correct that most Western/Central Africans have oral legends of tracing to regions outside. It should be pointed out that many also have legends coming from Yemen and Arabia also. Some even claimed to be connect to Persian such as the Kisra legends. What are we to make of such claims?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
The linguistic connection between Western Africa and ancient Egypt deserves more attention from academia. Upon my own self admittance, most of my understandings is mostly based on second translations done by Egyptologist and linguists. So please donot take my position as definate.

When approaching this particular subject there should be a strong logical basis for such claims. This means employing a combination of the scientific method,logic and common sense. This also means that such claims should be air tight and can stand non-biased criticism. Yes, I realize everbody has bias including myself.

Let's explore some claims made. It was stated that there would be little material evidence of mass migration in times of war and faminine. This might be partially true,but its also relative to what population fled ancient Egypt and the size of this population. This point was glossed over by many of the posters. Its a fact untill the induction of the camel that large amounts of people could not go across the Sahara. Much of the means of transport in ancient Egypt was by donkeys and or boats. Oral legends are good and reliable but can also be tainted by foreign elements. The poster is correct that most Western/Central Africans have oral legends of tracing to regions outside. It should be pointed out that many also have legends coming from Yemen and Arabia also. Some even claimed to be connect to Persian such as the Kisra legends. What are we to make of such claims?

You have to refer to the Classsical literature. Therein we find mention of migrations into Asia, where the Kushites established many civilizations. For example the Elamites/Persians made it clear that they came from ancient Kush as noted by the Classical writers. These populations were later forced out of asia by Gutians, Indo-European speakers and etc. It is only natural that these populations would remember their sojorn in Asia. Moreover, most Yemeni haplogroups are of African origin, so these connections can be explained by archaeology, e,g, the Tihama civilization that spread from Nubia into Arabia.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StTigray
Member # 16910

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for StTigray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truthcentric:
Even if the Egyptian language is related to various Niger-Congo languages, would that be necessarily be because Niger-Congo-speakers are descended from Egyptians. I'm more inclined to think that maybe Niger-Congo and Afroasiatic may have a common origin...and even then, Nilo-Saharan would be a better candidate for a relative of Afroasiatic than Niger-Congo.

The problem I have with people trying to link Egypt with western and southern Africa is that they're endorsing the myth of a culturally homogeneous Africa. They expect us to believe that Africans, despite being the most genetically heterogeneous people as well as being distributed across the world's second-largest continent, all have one culture. That is not even close to being true.

Tell me, did ancient Greeks have the same culture as Finns? Did Classic Mayans have the same culture as Iroquois? Did Tang Dynasty Chinese have the same culture as headhunting tribes in Borneo? If not, why should ancient Egyptians have had the same culture as Yorubas or Zulus?

That is an incredibly good point
Posts: 163 | From: United States | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks,

Truthcentric is the white racist Tyrannosaurus who use to post here using passive troll tactics.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

I don't know if the following has any relevance but colonial documenters say it wasn't that rare to see Teda/Tibbu (Nilo-Saharan speakers) jogging from different oases crisscrossing hundred miles of the Sahara only to search for some missing camel. I don't think people like the Teda pastoralists who were probably evolved over thousands of years in that area would have found it that difficult to move throughout the Sahara. Its probably the reason why in the Neolithic there was so much relatedness between the varying Saharan oases.
Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Move it up.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
 -

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti did you see from above thread what happens when you let the genie out of the bottle?
Posts: 43114 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com