EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » trans. Wallis Budge: EDICT AGAINST THE BLACKS Usertsen (Sesostris III )

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: trans. Wallis Budge: EDICT AGAINST THE BLACKS Usertsen (Sesostris III )
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fashionable for black folk to look at ancient Egypt and say that it was black people in a great nation who did great things and some white people, who used to try to steal full credit for it, in light of current archeology and anthropology suggesting possibly a black civilization have now retreated to a position of it being semi-black but some say black people still cannot take full credit for it (whatever taking credit of people who died two thousand years ago really means).

The evidence of who the Egyptians were is slim, there are not many remains to look at. Now me not being one to jump on the political bandwagon I question the whole premise that Egypt was a black civilization. My ancestors don't come from North Africa so I'm not particularly attached to it. Africa is a huge continent.
You could easily call the Egyptians imperialists who conquered other nations in order to extract minerals and other resources just like other imperialists have done in modern times.
I'm not really sure if they were "black" or not.
I wouldn't be surprised if if the ruling class of ancient Egypt were people from Mesopotamia who came and took command of local black people in the area. I look at some of the early statues of the Kings and they look like non black Semites or Mediterraneans to me. Others do look black in certain statues but many of the greater statues they don't look black to me. I'm sorry it's just me objective view of it. I suppose it would be nice if these great pyramid builders looked black to me but many just don't. Now you can go to other alternate statues of some of the same Kings and they look blacker. Many of those statues are not as realistic and appear to be made by mediocre craftsmen. There is on burial mask with black features that Wally posts. I think it may be of one of the Thutmose's and that to me is a great piece and he does look African. The wood King Tut bust has a dark skin tone but to me the features don't look African. Then you look at the gold Tut burial mask which is a great masterpiece and he has black looking lips and overall looks African.
So I think there may have been a mixture of Mesopotamian and black Kings going on in ancient Egypt. They had the people spending years and years building these incredible but useless pyramids, tombs for the Kings. The afterlife was exclusive to people who could afford the ritual process.
Now looking at this features thing one could think they're being pro black and say well anybody with this reddish toned skin must have been black because black people in Africa are very diverse. This is true but just because we are diverse and you can find Somalis and Ethiopians that have certain types of noses doesn't mean that Mediterraneans or Mesopotamians weren't some of the Kings in Egypt in the early dynasties, yes the early dynasties.
Now I'm sorry that what I'm saying doesn't seem to fall into the "pro black" camp but it's just the way I'm seeing things. I'm going to have to put politics second to an area which I believe no one is really certain of.
In ten years from now I think "pro black" politics is going to move beyond ancient history anyway. The culture of ancient Egypt has been over and done with for two thousands years. The people there practice Islam and that's not going to be changing. I would be careful of riding on the black nationalism tip about ancient Egypt because one day there may be proof that the place was not as black as you had hoped. It's not such a bad thing. It was certainly not all "white" either. It appears to have been a multicultural joint, probably more power sharing than in America today from whichever angle you want to look at it.
Development in Africa is coming from many different areas and the focus on ancient Egypt by some of us Americans is going to blow over.

Now I move on to this 12th dynasty Egyptian text called the Edict Against the Blacks by King Usertsen (Sesostris III or "Senusret III")
Does it prove anything? I don't know you be the judge. It was translated by Wallis Budge in his book Literature of the Ancient Egyptians.
First some background on Usertsen (Sesostris III)

While there had been fortifications built in Nubia, Amenemhet II and Senusret II, Senusret III's predecessors, had not been extremely active in Nubia militarily, and some Nubian groups had gradually moved north past the Third Cataract. Khakaura Senusret III (aka Sesostris III) initiated a series of devastating campaigns in Nubia very early in his reign (perhaps year 6) in order to secure his southern borders and protect the trading routes and mineral resources. Apparently, the Nubians were a troublesome lot during his reign, for Senusret III would again have to mount campaigns in at least the years 8, 10, 16 and 19 of his reign. Regardless, these campaigns seem to have been for the most part successful, for the king had inscribed on a great stele at Semna erected in year 8 of his rule, now in Berlin,

"I carried off their women, I carried off their subjects, went forth to their wells, smote their bulls; I reaped their grain, and set fire thereto".

In other words, he killed their men, enslaved their women and children, burnt their crops and poisoned their wells. The stele also provides that no Nubians were allowed to take their herds or boats to the north of the specified border.To facilitate these military actions in Nubia, he had a an existing bypass canal around the First Cataract (rapids) at Aswan, originally dug in the Old Kingdom by Merenre (or Pepi I) cleared, broadened and deepened. According to an inscription, he had it repaired again in year eight of his reign. This canal was near the island of Sehel.Most of Senusret III's military attention was directed towards Nubia, but he is also noted for a campaign in Syria against the Mentjiu, where rather then a goal of expansion, he seems to have been after retribution and plunder. We owe this information to a a stele belonging to an individual named Sobkkhu, who apparently also participated in the Nubian campaigns. The king apparently led this campaign himself, capturing the town of Sekmem, which may have been Shechem in the Mount Ephrain region.
The plunder from the Nubian and Syrian campaigns was mostly directed towards the temples in Egypt, and their renewal. For example, at Abydos, an inscription by a local official named Ikhernofret states that the king commissioned him to refurbish Osiris's barge, shrine and chapels with gold, electrum, lapis lazuli, malachite and other costly stones. He also adorned the temple of Mentuhotep II at Deir el-Bahari (West Bank at Luxor) with a series of six life size granite standing statues of himself wearing the nemes headdress. They once lined the lower terrace.

-

Literature of the Ancient Egyptians

By E. A. Wallis Budge

Page 50 (or page 100, also page 48)

The earliest known annals are found on a stone which is preserved in the Museum at Palermo, and which
for this reason is called “The Palermo Stone”; the Egyptian text was first published by Signor A. Pellegrini in
1896. How the principal events of certain years of the reigns of kings from the Predynastic Period to the
middle of the fifth dynasty are noted is shown by the following:
[Reign of] SENEFERU. Year ...
The building of Tuataua ships of mer wood of a hundred capacity,
and 60 royal boats of sixteen capacity.
The Literature of the Ancient Egyptians

Page 51

Raid in the Land of the Blacks (i.e. the Sudan), and the bringing
in of seven thousand prisoners, men and women, and twenty thousand
cattle, sheep, and goats.
Building of the Wall of the South and North [called] House of
Seneferu.
The bringing of forty ships of cedar wood (or perhaps “laden with
cedar wood").
[Height of the Nile.] Two cubits, two fingers.
[Reign of Seneferu.] Year ...
The making of thirty−five ... 122 cattle
The construction of one Tuataua ship of cedar wood of a hundred
capacity, and two ships of mer wood of a hundred capacity.
The numbering for the seventh time.
[Height of the Nile.] Five cubits, one hand, one finger.
The royal historical inscriptions of the first eleven dynasties are very few, and their contents are meagre
and unimportant. As specimens of historical documents of the twelfth dynasty the following may be quoted:

EDICT AGAINST THE BLACKS

This short inscription is dated in the eighth year of the reign of Usertsen III. “The southern frontier in the
eighth year under the Majesty of the King of the South and North, Khakaura (Usertsen III), endowed with life
for ever. No Black whatsoever shall be permitted to pass [this stone] going down stream, whether travelling
by land or sailing in a boat, with cattle, asses, goats, &c., belonging to the Blacks, with the exception of such
as cometh to do business in the country of Aqen[1] or on an embassy. Such, however, shall be well entreated
in every way. No boats belonging to the Blacks shall in future be permitted to pass down the river by the
region of Heh.”[2]
[Footnote 1: This district has not been identified.]
[Footnote 2: The district of Semnah and Kummah, about 40 miles south of Wadi Halfah.]
The methods of Usertsen III and his opinions of the Sudani folk are illustrated by the following inscription
which he set up at Semnah, a fort built by him at the foot of the Second Cataract.
“In the third month[1] of the season Pert His Majesty fixed the boundary of Egypt on the south at Heh
(Semnah). I made my boundary and went further up the river than my fathers. I added greatly to it. I give
commands [therein]. I am the king, and what is said by me is done. What my heart conceiveth my hand
bringeth to pass. I am [like] the crocodile which seizeth, carrieth off, and destroyeth without mercy. Words (or
matters) do not remain dormant in my heart. To the coward soft talk suggesteth longsuffering; this I give not
to my enemies. Him who attacketh me I attack. I am silent in the matter that is for silence; I answer as the
matter demandeth. Silence after an attack maketh the heart of the enemy bold. The attack must be sudden like
that of a crocodile. The man who hesitateth is a coward, and a wretched creature is he who is defeated on his
own territory and turned into a slave. The Black understandeth talk only. Speak to him and he falleth
prostrate. He fleeth before a pursuer, and he pursueth only him that fleeth. The Blacks are not bold men; on
the contrary, they are timid and weak, and their hearts are cowed. My Majesty hath seen them, and [what I
say] is no lie.
[Footnote 1: = January−February.]
“I seized their women, I carried off their workers in the fields, I came to their wells, I slew their bulls, I cut
their corn and I burnt it. This I swear by the life of my father. I speak the truth; there is no doubt about the
matter, and that which cometh forth from my mouth cannot be gainsaid. Furthermore, every son of mine who
shall keep intact this boundary which My Majesty hath made, is indeed my son; he is the son who protecteth
his father, if he keep intact the boundary of him that begot him. He who shall allow this boundary to be
removed, and shall not fight for it, is not my son, and he hath not been begotten by me. Moreover, My
Majesty hath caused to be made a statue of My Majesty on this my boundary, not only with the desire that ye
should prosper thereby, but that ye should do battle for it.”
The Literature of the Ancient Egyptians

Page 52

CAMPAIGN OF THOTHMES II IN THE SUDAN
The following extract illustrates the inscriptions in which the king describes an expedition into a hostile
country which he has conducted with success. It is taken from an inscription of Thothmes II, which is cut in
hieroglyphs on a rock by the side of the old road leading from Elephantine to Philae, and is dated in the first
year of the king's reign. The opening lines enumerate the names and titles of the king, and proclaim his
sovereignty over the Haunebu, or the dwellers in the northern Delta and on the sea coast, Upper and Lower
Egypt, Nubia and the Eastern Desert, including Sinai, Syria, the lands of the Fenkhu, and the countries that lie
to the south of the modern town of Khartum. The next section states: “A messenger came in and saluted His
Majesty and said: The vile people of Kash (i.e. Cush, Northern Nubia) are in revolt. The subjects of the Lord
of the Two Lands (i.e. the King of Egypt) have become hostile to him, and they have begun to fight. The
Egyptians [in Nubia] are driving down their cattle from the shelter of the stronghold which thy father
Thothmes [I] built to keep back the tribes of the South and the tribes of the Eastern Desert.” The last part of
the envoy's message seems to contain a statement that some of the Egyptians who had settled in Nubia had
thrown in their lot with the Sudani folk who were in revolt. The text continues: “When His Majesty heard
these words he became furious like a panther (or leopard), and he said: I swear by Ra, who loveth me, and by
my father Amen, king of the gods, lord of the thrones of the Two Lands, that I will not leave any male alive
among them. Then His Majesty sent a multitude of soldiers into Nubia, now this was his first war, to effect the
overthrow of all those who had rebelled against the Lord of the Two Lands, and of all those who were
disaffected towards His Majesty. And the soldiers of His Majesty arrived in the miserable land of Kash, and
overthrew these savages, and according to the command of His Majesty they left no male alive, except one of
the sons of the miserable Prince of Kash, who was carried away alive with some of their servants to the place
where His Majesty was. His Majesty took his seat on his throne, and when the prisoners whom his soldiers
had captured were brought to him they were placed under the feet of the good god. Their land was reduced to
its former state of subjection, and the people rejoiced and their chiefs were glad. They ascribed praise to the
Lord of the Two Lands, and they glorified the god for his divine beneficence. This took place because of the
bravery of His Majesty, whom his father Amen loved more than any other king of Egypt from the very
beginning, the King of the South and North, Aakheperenra, the son of Ra, Thothmes (II), whose crowns are
glorious, endowed with life, stability, and serenity, like Ra forever.

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone seriously needs to reference the archive.

For starters

12th Dynasty a "Nubian" dynasty

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the mdr ntr speaks for itself
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:

How appropriate that you, alTakruri, and Wally have taken to the convention of presuming to use Egyptian spellings.
Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
quote:

How appropriate that you, alTakruri, and Wally have taken to the convention of presuming to use Egyptian spellings.
Wally, alTakruri and I are the "E" team

you are the on the "P" team

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lioness, you do realize there are other texts that suggest the Senurset line had its matrilineal origins within Ta-seti(nubia). The late Frank Joseph Yurco took the stance that the Senurset lineage originated with the union of a female from Ta-seti and an upper Egyptian male.

I am also disturbed by your attempt to resurect the know debunked ''dynastic race'' theory popularized by the late late Egyptologist W.B. Emery. Archaeological evidence found within Upper Egypt have debunked the notion of foreigners forming the rulership in early Egypt.

When reading second hand translations like Budge,Breasted et al you need to take in context the time period for their translations. Many of the Egyptologists reflected a certain imperilistic and racial climate at this time period and this is definately reflected in their works. So I ask you to preceed with caution and an objective mind. Otherwise, you are being just as bias as the people you criticize.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar you haven't been here for awhile.. shim the Lioness is pure troll not to be taken seriously trust me on this.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Lioness, you do realize there are other texts that suggest the Senurset line had its matrilineal origins within Ta-seti(nubia). The late Frank Joseph Yurco took the stance that the Senurset lineage originated with the union of a female from Ta-seti and an upper Egyptian male.

I am also disturbed by your attempt to resurect the know debunked ''dynastic race'' theory popularized by the late late Egyptologist W.B. Emery. Archaeological evidence found within Upper Egypt have debunked the notion of foreigners forming the rulership in early Egypt.

When reading second hand translations like Budge,Breasted et al you need to take in context the time period for their translations. Many of the Egyptologists reflected a certain imperilistic and racial climate at this time period and this is definately reflected in their works. So I ask you to preceed with caution and an objective mind. Otherwise, you are being just as bias as the people you criticize.

please deal with the Usertsen III text from the mdr ntr I posted above
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem lioness is you made various claims in your post I felt were inaccurate so I adressed the claims. Much of your evidence for the Senurset III Eddict relies upon faulty translations by 19th century Egyptologist whose racial idealogy go the best of them. The words that Egyptologist liks Breasted translated into black were just names like Nehsi. Neshi just means riverline southner. This meaning is nothing more or less.

The fact that the ancient Egyptians exploited people is not really suprising. If they indeed did fortify the southern borders and northern borders this does not negate the deep connection that the ancient Egyptians shared with the rest of the continent of Africa either during the dynastic era or into the pre-dyanstic era. Are you not forgetting that alot of white European groups had a deep hatred for each other. The fact that Senurset III banned some riverline Nubians entering Egypt does not mean that either group was not ethnically related.

I admit I cannot read Mdu Ntr but I doubt you can either. Your answers are most likely canned answers you get from other message boards instead of your original thought. Don't know for sure but it seems this way.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Your answers are most likely canned answers you get from other message boards instead of your original thought. Don't know for sure but it seems this way. [/QB]

I don't have the answers, I raise questions.
It's very hard to come up with an original thought on Egypt because people here on ES respond to the racially oriented issues about Egypt and that has been done to death. Because there are few human remains it's hard to be sure of anything. I hadn't read forum discussions before on this Edict Against Blacks item. But if you google it you'll probably find some. I think it may not have been discussed much. We can only speculate if the translations are accurate or not. Nobody will ever know for sure. The thing is I state that I am not sure about certain things and that certain issues are open. But other people act like they know and go and make websites and graphics and act like they can explain things firmly about Ancient Egypt. I am not making such websites. Some of the people here are doing it and it's very selected material in order to fulfill a political agenda.
This is what I question.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for sure you haven't read the thread I linked.
We have discussed that text and the inanity of war
opponents
meaning different 'races.' Like the USA general Eisenhower
not being a white German like those he led his forces to kill.

The primary untranslated text doesn't even have the
word black in it. If you could read mdw ntr you would
kmow that.

Look at the bust in your post. Do you imagine for a
moment that face belongs to a man who is not black?

-

PS - Can anyone find the thread where I dealt
extensively with this issue and posted a 3/4
profile of Senwosret from the cover of KMT?
Like much of my good stuff it doesn't GOOGLE.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ausar,

This "the lioness" is a shill - a person paid to endorse a product favorably, while pretending
to be impartial; his product is "a non-Black or at best, a 'racially mixed' Ancient Egypt"

No one, except the hopelessly insane, would deny that all higher civilizations were multi-
ethnic, multi-racial; Ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, Ghana, Mali...

What this shill wants to do is to insinuate into the Ancient Egyptian royal families/rulers a
non-African, non-Black; I.E., a White participation which is all a giant load of crap!

a) Ancient Egyptian chronicles informs us of only one non-native dynasty during the extremely
long history of Pharaonic Egypt, that of the Heq khasu or "Hyksos"; who only ruled in the
Delta region, and was facilitated by the usual inter-African ethnic strifes of Ancient Egypt...

b) Then this shill quotes from Budge:
Page 51
"Raid in the Land of the Blacks (i.e. the Sudan)"
--Now, the only way one can say "Land of the Blacks" in Ancient Egyptian would be to say
Ta ni Kememou, which we know refers to Ancient Egypt itself.

--What Budge probably did, and I would bet on it was to transliterate the text which probably
read something like "Ta Nahasou", which has NO color connotation whatsoever, into "Land
of the Blacks"; Which should have accurately been rendered "Land of the Sudanese"

c) Any further reading of Budges document quoted here which began this topic, the word
"Blacks" should be replaced by "Sudanese"; Any Egyptologist would agree with me on this
point.

d) Some enterprising person here will probably, if its available, post the original document
written in Mdu Ntr...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^
Exactly Takruri, this has already been dealt with due to the fact that Stormfront usus this very passage to push a "Nordic Egypt" non sense.

I mean the fact that no one is bothering to respond to this non sense proves its a waste of time. Ausar is the only one so kuddos to him, but seriously come on the Edict had nothing to do with Race esp. Given the fact that the 12th Dynasty ORIGINATED in Ta-Seti so are they Banning themselves from Egypt...A bunch of non sense.

BTW, Takruri Iv been looking for that thread for sometime good luck cuase I never found it.

Best bet is to try to pin point the year and search through ALL the threads created. Its time consuming but it works.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the lioness Quote: Because there are few human remains it's hard to be sure of anything.

Someone please tell the fool that Egypt has the largest selection of Ancient skeletons and grave goods anywhere in the world.

This impressionable degenerate fool, obviously thinks that the ongoing arguments about ethnicity, are because there are no samples.

Fool, there are plenty of samples, and plenty of studies have been done. The problem is that as would be expected, the results show a varied but fundamentally pure-black people.

The ruling elites in North Africa and the middle-east are not even Black, much-less "Pure Blacks". A sensible person would immediately see the conflict, and understand the reason why results of those studies are rarely published.

Damn lioness, you are incredibly stupid.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
d) Some enterprising person here will probably, if its available, post the original document
written in Mdu Ntr...

I guess I'm going to have to be the enterprising chap; and I win my bet...

I found a fragment of the Stelae of Senusret III that contains reference to these "Blacks"
 -

(You can view the entire text here:)
http://wikisource.org/wiki/Stelae_from_Senusret_III

Now, pay close attention
 -

-

Do you see the shill? The Sudani were the ONLY Negroes (Blacks), ergo the Ancient Egyptians were
not, neither were the peoples of the fertile Saharan crescent, nor the peoples of Central
Africa, nor those of West Africa; it's a load of White racialist crap which, if you buy into it, then you're a
"Gotcha" sucker...

Senusret (more accurately, Wosertsen) in order to be a legitimate king of Ancient Egypt
would have to have had a maternal descent from a sudanese royal Queen-Mother (Ta Seti)...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Still searching for the 3/4 bust post but in meantime
here's one post from the 12th Dynasty a "Nubian" dynasty
thread linked above for those who bothered not to read it.

= = =

Kesh was intertwined with Kmt as both shared a joint ethnic
origin in prehistory. For the Kmtyw, Amami, the ancestral Godland was to
the south and Kesh stood in between. Because of an especially holy site
at the 4th cataract a few individual Nhsyw families had a certain claim to
rulership over all Ta Akht.

What to some may seem very ironic is that the name Senwosret comes
from the Uahka family. This Theban family can be traced back to the 6th
dynasty. At that time they were architects who built temples near Abydos
at Qua. That the Uahka were of Nhsyw origins is attested by their burial
tombs. The design is unknown in Kmt but common in Kesh. The pharaoh
of the famous conquest stele labeling Nhsyw cowards yet fearful of them
taking over the land bit by bit was Senwosret III, himself of Nhsy ancestry!

But which ethny of Nehesi in particular?

Petrie thought the 12th dynasty was founded by Galla. I don't know if
he means the Oromo or if he means the Shangalla.

quote:
The Galla Penetration. It has long ago been remarked that the black sphinxes,
later appropriated by the Hyksos, approximated to the Galla type of Abyssinia.

. . . .

This starts an enquiry how the Galla connection could thus appear on monuments.
In the clearance and planning of the rock tombs at Qau, Antaeopolis, the peculiar
plan of those tombs, with great halls and small chambers annexed, was observed
to be closely parallel to that of later Nubian temples. In both tomb and temple
the chief work is in the solid rock, while the forecourt is of masonry constructed
in front of it. Another peculiarity was the hammer-work excavation of one tomb,
which had evidently been done with stone balls, as in the Aswan granite working,
and this implies a southern connection.

. . . .

Ancestry of Senusert. In the tomb of prince Uah-ka B at Qau, in an inner chamber,
is painted a scene of the son of Uah-ka, named Senusert; there is no cartouche.
As the Uah-ka family were of about the 4th or 5th dynasty (the name being unknown
either in the 11th of the 12th dynasty), this implies that the 12th dynasty Senusert
family descended from the Uah-ka family. Here we have, then, a link between the Galla
type on the sphinxes and the 12th dynasty. The separate identification of these sphinxes
follows further on. The 12th dynasty was undoubtedly descended from Amenemhat, the great
vizier of the 11th dynasty. It seems, then, that he married the heiress of the Uah-ka
family, as stated in the pseudo-prophecy,
"A king shall come from the south whose name
is Ameny, son of a Nubian woman." She called her son by the family name Senusert, and he
was the founder of the 12th dynasty, according to Manetho. Waka is the god of the Gallas.

The Uahka werent the only family nor the 12th the only dynasty of Nhsw
influence from origins in Kesh.

There was an intimate if exploitive sibling relationship between T3Wy and
Kesh. Brothers veigh for dominance one over the other yet they remain
the same family. Still there are differences between even identical twin
brothers. Egypt embraced writing while Kesh eschewed it for the longest
time and Egypt did rank Kesh among the Nine Bows clear until late
New Kingdom times.

The important thing to remember is that certain Keshite families
always, since the foundation of the Dynastic period, had a right to
the throne of T3Wy because of their noble status in Gebel Barkal
the prime residence of Amun the father of legitimacy to rulership.

Gebel Barkal was way up south at the fourth cataract. Yet it was the
seat of Amun and pharoanic legitimacy. Among others too numerous to list
  • Zanakht of dynatsy 3 was a Nehasi
  • the 4th dynasty queen Khentkaues was of Ta Seti and she birthed the
    first two kings of the 5th dynasty
  • the Uahka family established the 12th dynasty
  • Senwosret or Sesostris was a common Uahka name
  • the name Amenhotep or Amememhet shows the Uahka connection to Amun and Gebel Barkal
  • Amenemhet I was vizier for Mentuhotep IV of the preceding 11th dynasty, his ancestry of and marrige in the Uahka family legitimized his natural right to the throne
  • the 14th dynasty's second ruler was actually named Nehesi and honored his mother Peret incorporating her name in his cartouche
  • Piye and the succeeding 25th dynasty are too famous to detail
  • the 25th dynasty was ultra orthodox reviving tradition throughout T3 Akht
  • in truth pharoanic Kmt ended with the 25th dynasty from Napata/Gebel Barkal

The kings of Kush were known to have a certain claim on Kmt's throne. Zanakht of the
3rd dynasty has strong Nhsw facial features. His line apparently died out. The 9th and
10th dynasty Uahka family of Thebes were buried in tombs of type unknown in Kmt but
of design in Kush. The Uahka family has been traced back to the 6th dynasty builders
of the temples at Qua near Abydos. Senusret is a name from the Uahka family, one of
whose members took on the name Amenemhet to honor Amen the major deity of
Thebes. This family established the 12th dynasty. Comparison of skull measurements
reveals an exceedingly close relationship between the Uahka family and the modern
Shangalla (non-Abyssinian) type of Ethiopian bordering Sudan.

Amenemhet I warred against Wawat pushing south far enough to establish a center of
trade in Kerma at the 3rd catarct. Senusret I mentions the Akherkin, Kas, Khesaa, Shat,
and Shemyk among the peoples of Wawat that he subdued. Senwosret III annexed
Wawat up to the 2nd cataract as the southern border of Kmt.

Because of their propensities for independence the Senwosrets found it necessary to
wage war against Wawat. On their defeat a string of fortresses were built. These were at
Buhen, Kor, Dorginarti, Mirgissa, Dabenarti, Askut, Shalfak, Uronarti, Kumma, and Semna.

Nonetheless the kinship between the peoples of the lower and middle Nile Valleys
must not be forgotten. Especially of note is the middle Nile Valley dwellers' attitude
as to the status of the lower Nile Valley.

quote:
... the Egyptian pharaohs of Dynasty 18 had recognized Gebel Barkal as
an ancient source of Egyptian kingship and had themselves crowned there
to affirm their rule, the new kings of Kush rediscovered this tradition and
[] used it to prove their right to rule Egypt. Since the first to recognize
the religious significance of Gebel Barkal had been the Pharoah Thutmose
III (ca. 1479-1425 BC)[.]

. . . .

If [Keshites] have traditionally been portrayed by historians s "foreigners"
in Egypt, they surely did not see themselves as such, despite their
different ethnic, cultural and linguistic origin. In their minds Egypt and
Kush were northern and southern halves of an ancient original domain of
Amun. These two lands, they believed, had been united in mythological
times; subsequently they grew apart, to be united again in historical times
only by the greatest pharaohs. As "sons" of Amun, the Napatan monarchs
saw themselves as heirs of those pharaohs [. . .] believ[ing] they were
the god's representatives - from his southern sphere - chosen to unite
and protect his ancient empire and to restore ma'at - "truth, order, and
propriety" in the Egyptian sense - throughout the land.

It all boils down to cultural spirituality and the "kingship" deity
of the matured middle and lower Nile valley in the days of empire
that had been perculating since before either kingdom emerged.

I think that Gebel Barka was known to the A Group originators of the
royalty concept of dynasty 0 and possibly the first attempts of state
unification (judging by the finds of Qustul). I imagine the reason that
certain NHHSYW females endowed their husbands or sons with a
natural and undisputed right to the throne of T3Wy was because they
hailed from the right family from Gebel Barkal of old from before the
times of dynastic Egypt, and here's why:
quote:

... long before the Egyptians had set eyes on Gebel Barkal, the Nubians,
too, had held it sacred. Although no pre-Egyptian settlement or cultic
remains have yet been found there, unstratified Nubian pottery has been
recovered, dating from the Neolithic, Pre-Kerma, and Kerma periods. This
indicates that the site must have been occupied at least since the fourth
millennium BC. The discovery on the summit of Gebel Barkal of
thousands of chipped stone wasters, made of types of stones that can
only be found on the desert floor, suggests that people brought stones to
the summit to work them, a practice that implies a religious motivation.
Likewise, the similarity between the sanctuary at Barkal, as it appeared in
the Egyptian and Kushite periods, and that of Kerma, as it appeared at
the end of the Classic Kerma phase, may suggest that there was a pre-
Egyptian cultic connection between Gebel Barkal and the "Western
Deffufa" at Kerma. There exists at least the possibility that the latter, a
rectangular, brick built, mountain-like platform 19 m high, may have been
built at Kerma as a magical substitute or "double" of Gebel Barkal. After
all, complexes of temples were built in front of each, and each was
conceived as the dwelling place of a powerful god.

There is no doubt that the Egyptians, and probably, too, the earlier
Nubians, attached sacred significance to Gebel Barkal because of its
bizarre form. Not only was the hill isolated on a flat desert plain and
possessed of a spectacular cliff, 90 m high and 200 m long, its
southwestern corner was marked by an enormous free-standing pinnacle,
nearly 75 m high (fig.5). This monolith had all the appearance of a statue,
but without precise form, and it could be imagined in many ways
simultaneously. On the one hand, it could be seen as the figure of a
standing king or god, wearing the White Crown. It could be seen as an
erect phallus. It could also be seen as a rearing cobra (uraeus), wearing
the White Crown. Ancient documents, both written and pictorial, reveal
that the rock was imagined as all these things at once and was thus
venerated as the source of the divine power of all the various things it
represented. As a crowned human figure, it would have represented the
living king or the ultimate royal ancestor, or the god himself. As a phallus,
it would have represented Amun as father and procreator. As uraeus, it
would have represented each and every goddess and all female creative
power. It was thus father, mother, and royal child combined as one -
which was apparently the very meaning of "Kamutef." Gebel Barkal, by
means of the phallic-shaped pinnacle, not only confirmed the presence of
Amun, it also had precisely the form of the Primeval Hill of Egyptian
tradition, on which the Creator was thought to have appeared at the
beginning of time and generated the first gods through an act of
masturbation.

So as early as dynasty 3 Zanakht sits the throne.

4th dynasty queen Khentkaues births the first kings of the 5th dynasty.

In the 6th dynasty the Uahka family is building NHHSY architected tombs in T3Wy

The 12th dynasty is established by the Uahka family and kings bear the name
of Amun in their own names just as Keshite kings will bear Amani names.

To my mind this shows a pre-18th dynasty affiliation of Amun among the
NHHSYW most likely associated with Gebel Barkal. Where else would the
prominence of Amun stem from that it was not used in T3Wy in kings' names
before introduced by a dynasty of NHHSY roots?

Yet, some have still proposed Amun to have travelled in the reverse direction.
from
ERNEST A. WALLIS BUDGE

TUTANKHAMEN AMENISM, ATENISM AND EGYPTIAN MONOTHEISM

New York: Dodd, Mead & Co. 1923
Chap 2 TUTANKHAMEN AND THE CULT OF AMEN
http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/tut/tut05.htm

quote:

THE early history of the god Amen is somewhat obscure, and his origin is
unknown. The name Amen means "hidden (one)," a title which might be
applied to many gods. A god Amen and his consort Ament or Amenit are
mentioned in the Pyramid Texts (UNAS, line 558), where they are
grouped with Nau and Nen, and with the two Lion gods Shu and Tefnut.
This Amen was regarded as an ancient nature-god by the priests of
Heliopolis under the Vth dynasty, and it is possible that many of his
attributes were transferred at a very early period to Amen, the great god
of Thebes. Though recent excavations have shown that a cult of Amen
existed at Thebes under the Ancient Empire, it is doubtful if it possessed
any more than a local importance until the XIIth dynasty. When the
princes of Thebes conquered their rivals in the north and obtained the
sovereignty of Egypt, their god Amen and his priesthood became a great
power in the land,
and an entirely new temple was built by them, in his
honour, at Karnak on the right bank of the Nile. The temple was quite
small, and resembled in form and arrangement some of the small Nubian
temples;
it consisted of a shrine, with a few small chambers grouped
about it, and a forecourt, with a colonnade on two sides of it. Amen was
not the oldest god worshipped there, and his sanctuary seems to have
absorbed the shrine of the ancient goddess Apit. ...

Although the kings of the XIIth dynasty were Thebans it is possible that
they and many of their finest warriors had Sudani blood in their veins,
and the attributes that they ascribed to Amen were similar to those that
the Nubian peoples assigned to their indigenous gods. To them Amen
symbolized the hidden but irresistible power that produces conception and
growth in human beings and in the animal and vegetable worlds. And in
some places in Egypt, and Nubia and the Oases, the symbol of the god
Amen was either the umbilicus 1 or the gravid womb. The symbol of
Amen that was shown to Alexander the Great, when he visited the temple
of Jupiter Ammon in the Oasis of Siwah, was an object closely resembling
the umbilicus, and it was inlaid with emeralds (turquoises?) and other
precious stones--umbilico maxime similis est habitus, smaragdo et
gemmis coagmentatus.

Despite the fact of the relative obscurity of Amen before the Uahka
family's 12th dynasty boosting of his importance and the "Nubian" style
temple devoted to him, the author of the above states that Egypt carrried
Amun into "Nubia."

But that shouldn't be the last word and prime thought left in mind by this post.

While Egyptians did in fact rule over Wawat and even Kush, no Egyptian ever
sat astride the throne of Kush. To the contrary Kushites sat on the Amun Seat
both in Kush and in Egypt and their empire extended over more Nile and Rift
valleys territory than perhaps even did Egypt.

Culled from previous posts

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001060#000003

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001310#000019

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=004986;p=1

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Found 'em.

= = =

PT 1

As long as we continue employing the misnomer "Nubian" projected
in the current literature a certain of confusion will remain in
understanding mdw ntr texts. We must use the specific terms as
they are in the primary sources.

If memory serves me correctly the following quote is from one of
the original Sesotris:
quote:

"The Nubian has but to hear (a sound) and he falls at a voice,
it is merely answering him that makes him retreat;
if one is agressive against him he turns tail,
retreat and he becomes more aggressive.
they are certainly not people to be respected:
they are craven wretches.
My majesty has seen them-it is not a lie."

This pharaoh is talking about his military expeditions against
Wawat. Before the unification of the Two Lands, Wawat ruled
up to Nag el Hasaya in what would later be the 2nd nome of
Upper Egypt (Heru's Throne) immediately north of the 1st nome
TaSeti.nwt. So we see there was intense rivalry between TaWy and
TaSeti.x3st since predynastic times.

-  -

As we progress into the earliest dynastic era a cultural
demarcation begins to distinguish the two peoples. KM.t
embraced writing while TaSeti and Kesh to the south of it
did not.

Getting back to the author of the above quoted inscription
Sesostris III wrote it after retaking Buhen fortress. Late in
5th dynasty times Wawat took over Buhen fortress, built in
the 4th dynasty by Snefru, and held it until the 12th dynasty
when Sesostris took it and pillaged pastoral populations to
its south. In the very next dynasty (13th) Kesh took it over
holding it until the 18th dynasty.

With all this in mind we can see Sesostris III's boasts are just
that, political hype. During the first 14 dynasties of its history
that though TaWy built Buhen fortress (exchange place or trade
center) Nehesis controlled it for 11 dynasties.

Then too in order to understand Sesostris III implied no "racial"
proclivities we need to know his ancestral antecedents. We'll
examine that next.

PT 2

-
Sesostris III (also transliterated as Senusret and Senwosret) was a
12th dynasty ruler. Senusret is a name from the Uahka family, one
of whose members took on the name Amenemhet to honor Amen the
major deity of Thebes in KM.t and Gebel Barkal deep in Kwsh. The 9th
and 10th dynasty Uahka family of Thebes were buried in tombs of type
unknown in KM.t but of design in Kush. The Uahka family has been
traced back to the 6th dynasty builders of the temples at Qua near
Abydos. This family established the 12th dynasty.

Amenemhet I started the 12th dynasty. He was vizier to Mentuhotep
IV last pharaoh of dynasty 11. Amenemhet came to rule relying on
a certain claim of ancestry and marriage as his right to attain
to the rulership. The rulers of Kush were known to have a certain
claim on KM.t's throne. This claim grew from the interdependencies
between the two nations of KM.t and Kesh having to do with princes
and princesses from Kush attending the Kmty court and marrying court
members. Amenemhet records a "prophecy" foretelling his upcomance.

quote:

provided by Wally (clickable link please go and read it)

nswt pw r iyt n rsy
imny mAa xrw rn.f
sA Hmt pw n tA sty
ms pw n Xn nxn
iw.f r Ssp HDt
iw.f r wTs dSrt
iw.f smA sxmty
iw.f r sHtp nbwy
m mrt.sn
pXr iHy m xfa wsr m nwd

There is a king who will come from the south
Ameny true of voice is his name.
He is the son of a woman of the Land of the Bow,
he is a child of the Heartland of Nekhen.
He will take up the White Crown,
he will raise up the Red Crown,
he will unite the Two Mighty Goddesses,
he will appease the Two Lord Gods,
with what they desire.
The field circuit is in his grasp, the oar in the jump.

Amenemhet I warred against Wawat pushing south far enough to establish
a center of trade in Kerma at the 3rd cataract. Senusret I mentions the
Akherkin, Kas, Khesaa, Shat, and Shemyk among the peoples of
Wawat that he subdued. Senwosret III annexed Wawat up to the 2nd
cataract as the southern border of KM.t.

Because of their propensities for independence the Senwosrets found
it necessary to wage war against Wawat. On their defeat a string of
fortresses were built. These were at Buhen, Kor, Dorginarti, Mirgissa,
Dabenarti, Askut, Shalfak, Uronarti, Kumma,
and Semna. They were to
prevent passage of any Nhsw downriver including shipping, caravan, or
pastoral transhumants. Clearly these people were a serious force to be
reckoned with and not the cowards Senwosret's boasts paint them to be.

Even their merchants and cattlemen were feared as capable of successfully
confronting Kmtw authority.

It seems that Kush at Kerma and above was the seat of Kmt's fear of
adversarial threat from the south. And it was from there indeed that
by 16th dynasty times Nhsw politcal intrigue held one third rulership
over Egypt. In the words of the ruler at Thebes:
quote:
"a chieftain is in Avaris and another in Kush:
I sit united with an Aamy and a Nhsy,
each man in possession of his slice of this Egypt."

PT 3

The phrase Kush khesyt cited ad nausea has been blown far out of proportion.
An obvious play on word sounds it means defeated more so than it connotes concepts
of contempt. But talk of wretched or vile Kush is irrelevant in understanding how Kmt
viewed her southern neighbors and kinsmen. In war talk what enemies aren't described
with deprecations? To the contrary we can see that certain families of Kush had a right
to the throne of Kmt that was considered the most legitimate of all harking back to the
original western (Greek) notion that Egypt originated when Aithiopians settled downriver.

quote:
Originally posted by Yonis:
quote:
Originally written by Donald Redford:

"Kush is usually said to be 'weak/vile' ...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
alTakruri,

Here's the fundamental rule of law of Ancient Egyptian Kingship:

"in order to be a legitimate king of Ancient Egypt, the heir apparent would have to have
had a maternal descent from a sudanese (Nahasi) royal Queen-Mother (of Ta Seti)..."

The factual information you provide is instructive in the particularities of these African
regimes, but wouldn't it be more clear and explicit to challenge anyone to disprove the
"rule of law of Ancient Egyptian Kingship"?
...it would save a lot of time... [Wink]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
there are a number of cases where such an act may have been the legal basis for a non-royal figure's ascent of the throne. However, more usual was the succession of the eldest son, whose status as heir was frequently if not always, proclaimed during his father's lifetime.

quote:

Do you see the shill? The Sudani were the ONLY Negroes (Blacks), ergo the Ancient Egyptians were
not, neither were the peoples of the fertile Saharan crescent, nor the peoples of Central
Africa, nor those of West Africa; it's a load of White racialist crap which, if you buy into it, then you're a
"Gotcha" sucker...

Wally are you questioning Wally Budge's dictionary now? Normally you love to quote from it.

In the mdr ntr the sphere of influence and the people depicted as foreigners in their Table of nations were people in border regions and nearby regions like Ethiopia.
Many far off regions in Africa were not part of their sphere of influence, trade or expeditions.
Their competition was from border and nearer nations. Therefore you can't assume they are talking about the whole continent of Africa.

Mind0verMatter718
Member # 17548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mind0verMatter718     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
there are a number of cases where such an act may have been the legal basis for a non-royal figure's ascent of the throne. However, more usual was the succession of the eldest son, whose status as heir was frequently if not always, proclaimed during his father's lifetime.

quote:

"Gotcha" sucker...

Wally are you questioning Wally Budge's dictionary now? Normally you love to quote from it.

In the mdr ntr the sphere of influence and the people depicted as foreigners in their Table of nations were people in border regions and nearby regions like Ethiopia.
Many far off regions in Africa were not part of their sphere of influence, trade or expeditions.
Their competition was from border and nearer nations. Therefore you can't assume they are talking about the whole continent of Africa.

Shut-up-bitch, you alcoholic!

Dont none of yall know **** about the Niggers of Africa, let alone Egypt or Ethiopia. My great great great grandfather use too beat the skin off a niggers black back. Sometimes just for fun. I'd really like to beat a Nigger myself.

Hang him up by his feet, and beat up his toes.
Put a noose around his neck, and beat up his face.
Tie Him to a tree and ram a pole up his azz, watch him squirm. Does that feel good Nigger?Uhuh
The ill tie me a rope around his waist and drag his black azz to the pink meat.

Posts: 220 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
go home cracka
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
the lioness wrote
quote:
there are a number of cases where such an act may have been the legal basis for a non-royal
figure's ascent of the throne.

Now, oh consummate idiot, provide us with a single example in human history where this has
actually occurred.

...and he continues his nonsense with
quote:
However, more usual was the succession of the eldest son, whose status as heir
was frequently if not always, proclaimed during his father's lifetime.

This is the total and absolute idiot, who assumes that patrileneal descent must apply to all
cultures, even if they do practice matrileneal descent. In Ancient Egypt, it was the mother's
line which determined descent to the throne; and she must be, by tradition, of Nahasi royal descent...

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Their competition was from border and nearer nations. Therefore you can't assume they are talking about the whole continent of Africa."

^ Not to mention strawman fallacy! Who ever said anything about the "whole" of Africa??! The point is Egypt is closely related to so-called 'Nubia' right next door-- BOTH are in Africa.

I take it I didn't miss much, from my hiatus. [Embarrassed]

I see 'Lioness' (Lion with a sex change) is still up to its lame tactics. Anything else?

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Found 'em.

= = =

PT 1

As long as we continue employing the misnomer "Nubian" projected
in the current literature a certain of confusion will remain in
understanding mdw ntr texts. We must use the specific terms as
they are in the primary sources.

If memory serves me correctly the following quote is from one of
the original Sesotris:
quote:

"The Nubian has but to hear (a sound) and he falls at a voice,
it is merely answering him that makes him retreat;
if one is agressive against him he turns tail,
retreat and he becomes more aggressive.
they are certainly not people to be respected:
they are craven wretches.
My majesty has seen them-it is not a lie."

This pharaoh is talking about his military expeditions against
Wawat. Before the unification of the Two Lands, Wawat ruled
up to Nag el Hasaya in what would later be the 2nd nome of
Upper Egypt (Heru's Throne) immediately north of the 1st nome
TaSeti.nwt. So we see there was intense rivalry between TaWy and
TaSeti.x3st since predynastic times.

-  -

As we progress into the earliest dynastic era a cultural
demarcation begins to distinguish the two peoples. KM.t
embraced writing while TaSeti and Kesh to the south of it
did not.

Getting back to the author of the above quoted inscription
Sesostris III wrote it after retaking Buhen fortress. Late in
5th dynasty times Wawat took over Buhen fortress, built in
the 4th dynasty by Snefru, and held it until the 12th dynasty
when Sesostris took it and pillaged pastoral populations to
its south. In the very next dynasty (13th) Kesh took it over
holding it until the 18th dynasty.

With all this in mind we can see Sesostris III's boasts are just
that, political hype. During the first 14 dynasties of its history
that though TaWy built Buhen fortress (exchange place or trade
center) Nehesis controlled it for 11 dynasties.

Then too in order to understand Sesostris III implied no "racial"
proclivities we need to know his ancestral antecedents. We'll
examine that next.

PT 2

-
Sesostris III (also transliterated as Senusret and Senwosret) was a
12th dynasty ruler. Senusret is a name from the Uahka family, one
of whose members took on the name Amenemhet to honor Amen the
major deity of Thebes in KM.t and Gebel Barkal deep in Kwsh. The 9th
and 10th dynasty Uahka family of Thebes were buried in tombs of type
unknown in KM.t but of design in Kush. The Uahka family has been
traced back to the 6th dynasty builders of the temples at Qua near
Abydos. This family established the 12th dynasty.

Amenemhet I started the 12th dynasty. He was vizier to Mentuhotep
IV last pharaoh of dynasty 11. Amenemhet came to rule relying on
a certain claim of ancestry and marriage as his right to attain
to the rulership. The rulers of Kush were known to have a certain
claim on KM.t's throne. This claim grew from the interdependencies
between the two nations of KM.t and Kesh having to do with princes
and princesses from Kush attending the Kmty court and marrying court
members. Amenemhet records a "prophecy" foretelling his upcomance.

quote:

provided by Wally (clickable link please go and read it)

nswt pw r iyt n rsy
imny mAa xrw rn.f
sA Hmt pw n tA sty
ms pw n Xn nxn
iw.f r Ssp HDt
iw.f r wTs dSrt
iw.f smA sxmty
iw.f r sHtp nbwy
m mrt.sn
pXr iHy m xfa wsr m nwd

There is a king who will come from the south
Ameny true of voice is his name.
He is the son of a woman of the Land of the Bow,
he is a child of the Heartland of Nekhen.
He will take up the White Crown,
he will raise up the Red Crown,
he will unite the Two Mighty Goddesses,
he will appease the Two Lord Gods,
with what they desire.
The field circuit is in his grasp, the oar in the jump.

Amenemhet I warred against Wawat pushing south far enough to establish
a center of trade in Kerma at the 3rd cataract. Senusret I mentions the
Akherkin, Kas, Khesaa, Shat, and Shemyk among the peoples of
Wawat that he subdued. Senwosret III annexed Wawat up to the 2nd
cataract as the southern border of KM.t.

Because of their propensities for independence the Senwosrets found
it necessary to wage war against Wawat. On their defeat a string of
fortresses were built. These were at Buhen, Kor, Dorginarti, Mirgissa,
Dabenarti, Askut, Shalfak, Uronarti, Kumma,
and Semna. They were to
prevent passage of any Nhsw downriver including shipping, caravan, or
pastoral transhumants. Clearly these people were a serious force to be
reckoned with and not the cowards Senwosret's boasts paint them to be.

Even their merchants and cattlemen were feared as capable of successfully
confronting Kmtw authority.

It seems that Kush at Kerma and above was the seat of Kmt's fear of
adversarial threat from the south. And it was from there indeed that
by 16th dynasty times Nhsw politcal intrigue held one third rulership
over Egypt. In the words of the ruler at Thebes:
quote:
"a chieftain is in Avaris and another in Kush:
I sit united with an Aamy and a Nhsy,
each man in possession of his slice of this Egypt."

PT 3

The phrase Kush khesyt cited ad nausea has been blown far out of proportion.
An obvious play on word sounds it means defeated more so than it connotes concepts
of contempt. But talk of wretched or vile Kush is irrelevant in understanding how Kmt
viewed her southern neighbors and kinsmen. In war talk what enemies aren't described
with deprecations? To the contrary we can see that certain families of Kush had a right
to the throne of Kmt that was considered the most legitimate of all harking back to the
original western (Greek) notion that Egypt originated when Aithiopians settled downriver.

quote:
Originally posted by Yonis:
quote:
Originally written by Donald Redford:

"Kush is usually said to be 'weak/vile' ...

Th lioness should now admit defeat like a man
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I would like to thank alTakruri for posting a lot of interesting information
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
I would like to thank alTakruri for posting a lot of interesting information

Yeah and he pretty muc shut down your whole argument
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member

Let's look at some other Kings of the 12th Dynasty, Egypt:

-
Amenemhat I

-  -
Senusret I (Sesostris I)

-
Amenemhat II

-
Amenemhat III

I think this is a fair representation

conclusively a little of this and a little of that

show me other African art which covers these variations

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
This guy "the lioness', as everyone here must be aware
of is "not wrapped too tight."

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
This guy "the lioness', as everyone here must be aware
of is "not wrapped too tight."

This guy "Wally" as everyone here must be aware
of is wrapped a little too tight, if you know what I mean

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Perhaps the Arab turban he wears on his head is wrapped too tight and thus cutting off some circulation to parts of his brain(?0

quote:
Originally posted by Just call me Jari:

The lioness should now admit defeat like a man

Funny thing is what 'man' would give himself the feminine moniker of 'lioness'? Not that the female lion is somehow a weak disgraceful creature.
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
http://egypt-grammar.rutgers.edu/Artifacts/Palermo%20Stone.pdf

2016 update. Here on the Palermo Stone "Land of Nubians" is used instead of "Land of the Blacks" , ref. Rutgers Univ.
My views on Egypt are also updated

-
 -

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dumbass, the inscription is in
Ancient Egyptian language
not English.

But what's a point?

We all know Senefru pushed
into Ta Naha's and established
a facility at Buhen. Also roads
in Sinai bear his name and Aamu
Asiatic miners worshipped him as
a meter god. So what's your point?

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
not English.

Did I say it wasn't. wtf ???
Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
not English.

Did I say it wasn't. wtf ???
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
http://egypt-grammar.rutgers.edu/Artifacts/Palermo%20Stone.pdf

on the Palermo Stone
"Land of Nubians" is used instead of
"Land of the Blacks" , ref. Rutgers Univ.

Translators words, not the Stone's.

The transliteration of what's on the
Stone is some equivalent variation of
Ta Nahas.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Land of Nubians"? Ancient Egyptians did not refer to the Southern cataract as Nubia, or the Nubians. lol Nor did they refer to themselves as Egyptians btw.lol

Let alone during the 4th dynasty. lol SMH

The blind leading the blind, with this utter nonsense. lol smh

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I wonder if 2016's Lioness cant recognize this as an edited nose.

Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com