EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » African-Americans and the Mandinka Legacy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: African-Americans and the Mandinka Legacy
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone has heard of the Mandinka. If you don't know any other African culture, most know either the Zulu or Mandinka. Probably not through education, but films. The Zulu are the only African culture to be depicted in a Hollywood movie (though very stereotypically). People may know of the Mandinka through the successful miniseries Roots (based on the book). Kunta Kinte is said to have been a "Mandinka warrior." But who were the Mandinka? No one has talked about them as having been the founders of one of the greatest Empires in African history...the Mali Empire. Even as Timbuktu has become more popular through mainstream documentaries, no one talks about Timbuktu as being an aspect of the Mali Empire. Actually, I have yet to see ANY documentary that even mentions Mali or the Mandinka's. Blacks in America NEED to know this history and their ancestry. They NEED to know that they come from a forgotten legacy.

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/history_in_africa/v032/32.1schaffer.html

The above is a VERY lengthy article written by Matt Schaffer called 'Bound to Africa: The Mandinka Legacy in The New World.'

quote:
I offer here a theory of "cultural convergence," as a corollary to Darwin's natural selection, regarding how slave Creoles and culture were formed among the Gullah and, by extension, supported by other examples, in the Americas. When numerous speakers from different, and sometimes related, ethnic groups have words with similar sounds and evoke related meanings, this commonality powers the word into Creole use, especially if there is commonality with Southern English or the host language. This theory applies to cultural features as well, including music. Perhaps the most haunting example of my theory is that of "massa," the alleged mispronunciation by Southern slaves of "master."1 Massa is in fact the correct Bainouk and Cassanga ethnic group pronunciation of mansa, the famous word used so widely among the adjacent and dominant Mande peoples in northern and coastal west Africa to denote king or boss. In this new framework, the changes wrought by Mandinka, the Mande more broadly, and African culture generally on the South, are every bit as significant as the linguistic infusions of the Norman Conquest into what became English.

Long before studying the Mandinka as an anthropologist in west Africa, I was exposed to their legacy in the United States through my contact with the Gullah of Saint Simons Island, Georgia, my home town. The correlation between a white minority and the Mandification of the [End Page 321] English language during the slave era might be obvious to some and terrifying to others. My recently completed work on Mandinka oral traditions lays some of the groundwork for this hypothesis by providing texts that, on close examination, do seem to have some resemblance to select slave vocabulary and diction in America. I propose that the Southern accent, depsite all its varieties, is essentially an African-American slave accent, and possibly a Mandinka accent, with other African accents, along with the colonial British accent layered in.

The purpose of this paper is to consider the implications of an observation made about the practice of slavery in North America and to ask whether this view might be extended to the rest of the Americas. The observation is Philip Curtin's conclusion, after sifting through the immense number of sources available to him, that "South Carolina planters . . . had strong ethnic preferences in the Charleston slave market. They preferred above all to have slaves from the Senegambia, which meant principally Bambara and Malinke from the interior [both are Mande] . . . and they generally have a preference against short people" especially from the Bight of Biafra.2 In the present paper, Curtin's observation becomes the first in a chain of facts and informed speculation that reveal a pattern of Mandification of Southern English.

While the notorious Charleston market was not the only slave port in the U.S., it was a major port and was involved in North American slave trafficking early on, with a fairly wide regional influence into the rest of South Carolina and Georgia. Curtin notes that slave-buying proclivities in the Charleston slave market, emphasizing Mande and including the Mandinka of Senegal and Gambia, might have caused other states such as Virginia to have a slight preference for Senegambian slaves as well. When Curtin's Table 45 speculates that 13.3% of all slaves imported to North America were from Senegambia, 5.5% from Sierra Leone, and 11.4% were from the Windward Coast or Liberia, he emphasizes the regions of west Africa where large numbers of Mande still live today, including Mandingo, Mende, Malinke, Maninke, Mandinka, Susu, Bambara, Vai, and Dyula among others, distributed among non-Mande groups.3 How many Mande or Mandinka were really in these percentages? The linguistic map showing which ethnic groups in west Africa speak Mande-related languages is immense, with many groups on the coasts or relatively near slave ports.4

Of course the vast area of eastern Mali—the heartland—contains Mande-speakers. But from here the influence spread out all along the [End Page 322] Gambia River, the Pakao region of southern Senegal, northern Guinea-Bissau, major regions of Guinea and Sierra Leone, significant territory in Liberia, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, and even a border area of northwestern Nigeria. The seeming fragmentation of the Mande among so many regions and into slave era classifications that included geographic references to three, or sometimes four, seemingly disconnected areas—Senegambia, "Sierra Leone," "Guinea," and the "Windward Coast" (Liberia and Ivory Coast)—have worked to understate among scholars the Mande influence on the eighteenth- and nineteenth-century slave societies of the U.S., as if these geographic areas could not have a broad ethnic and linguistic group such as the Mande bound by a common language and history.

Further amplifying this seeming ethnic fragmentation is that one key slaving area—along the Gambia River—of vital importance to the slave markets of coastal South Carolina and Georgia, the Caribbean and throughout the New World in certain decades, became by far the smallest country in west Africa, The Gambia. Since the early seventeenth century the Mandinka have predominated in villages along both sides of this river, settling there after Manding (the ancient Mali empire) expanded and began to disintegrate toward the end of the fifteenth century.

The author talks a lot about what he refers to as the "Mandingafication" of West Africa which was basically cultural control the Mandinka had over the entire region. This would have started during the Mali Empire, but definitely would have lasted hundreds of years afterward. Malians had a tremendous impact on later West African civilizations such as Futa Jallon and others. I advise everyone to read this paper and give their input. When I'm finished reading it, I'll add more to this ongoing thread.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a certain north/south dichotomy that exists for many West African countries to be accounted for and the similarity in culture from Dakar to Sokoto state (and slightly beyond).

I had this conversation about Mandinka and yes, some have heard of them (many, including continental NON west Africans have NOT). But the ones who do know them is because of this and by this stereotype...sadly...

-

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cosign this interesting article
Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rockytsang
Member # 18290

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rockytsang   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was eventually outed by <h4><a href="http://www.bvlgariring.com/categories/bvlgari-necklace-41-b0.html">bulgari necklace</a></h4> by a member of the paparazzi, and <a href="http://www.vuitton-louis.org/fake-Louis-Vuitton-Sobe-66-b0.html">louis vuitton sobe clutch</a> and she now says she's glad that <a href="http://www.bvlgariring.com/categories/bvlgari-watches-16-b0.html">bvlgari watches uk</a> that happened."She forced
Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com