EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Why do white people fetishize Greece and Rome? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why do white people fetishize Greece and Rome?
typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for typeZeiss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truthcentric:
Every American bookstore I've ever been to has whole shelves devoted to Greco-Roman "classical" history, but only a couple of books at most on ancient northern Europeans. In my high school world history class, our textbook had two whole chapters about Greece and Rome, but skipped over the rest of Europe until the medieval period; similarly, my college American government class cited Athens and the Roman Republic as influences on American democracy while failing to mention the Germanic institution of the thing, a popular assembly in which all freemen in the community could elect their chieftains and have a say on how the community should operate. America has whole museum wings devoted to Greco-Roman sculpture and artwork (and the museums themselves have Greco-Roman-inspired architecture), but I don't recall ever seeing so much as an exhibit for pagan northern European art and culture. Honestly, Native American and African civilizations get more exposure in our history textbooks and museums than anything from pre-Christian northern Europe.

To be fair, part of the reason for this almost certainly is that the Greeks and Romans left behind more in the way of written records than their northern European contemporaries and built using less perishable materials, so we know more about them. However, given how northern Europeans are commonly maligned as "barbarians" in our traditional historiographies, how Greece and Rome are glorified as the "cradles of Western civilization", and how any decline in power for Mediterranean civilizations is called the "Dark Ages", I get the impression that white Americans in general identify more with the Greco-Romans than they do other ancient Europeans. That is ironic because most white Americans are not descended from Greeks or Romans, but from the Celtic and Germanic peoples whom the Greeks and Romans considered their cultural inferiors. We are slighting our own ancestors in favor of their conquerors. Why is that?

Actually, I know why that is: it's because white Americans want to believe that we as a race have always led the world in material technology, built really big stone buildings, and went around conquering and "civilizing" other people. We don't want to admit that we once had a fundamentally different culture from our current ideal of "civilized", that we were once regarded as primitive barbarians, and that much of what we call "Western civiization" was imposed on us by foreign conquerors. We need to believe this because associating ourselves with Greece and Rome we delude ourselves into a false sense of racial or cultural superiority.

The fact of the matter is that the Greeks and Romans, though definitely influential on the rest of the ancient world, were not the ancestors of most of white America. They were olive-skinned Mediterranean people who reviled us. We, on the other hand, were not merely unwashed barbarians; we had rich and complex mythologies and belief systems; reverence for the natural world; beautiful artwork and music; advanced metallurgy, shipbuilding, and navigation; and while we may not have built quite on the scale of the Mediterranean cultures, we still had our megaliths. In addition, many of our cultures had quasi-democratic governments as previously mentioned and (at least in the case of the Celts) treated women with far more respect than the Greeks and Romans ever did. And the truth is that many of our true ancestors' traditions still survive today; as one example, what is the modern legend of Santa Claus if not an adaptation of Germanic traditions about Wodan's giving gifts to children in exchange for food?

White America must show more reverence to our true heritage.

Because these are the civilizations western society have patterned themselves off of in some way, shape or fashion.

I agree with Diop in that, the same way the europeans have fashioned their socities off of Greece and Rome, Africa should do the same with Ancient Egypt/Kush

Posts: 1296 | From: the planet | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cassiterides:
quote:
Originally posted by claus3600:
@Cassiterides

You're a troll, almost a caricature of a racist. I bet that if your IP address was traced and you were publicly identified you would say that you were 'only messing around' or offer some other lame exuse for your foolishness. Not big. Not clever. Grow up. Baiting people with racism on the internet is so childish. You know that.

No racism was posted. Once again you are just another negro to pull out the race-card. This is very outdated and no one longer takes it serious. In modern society whites are the now usually the victims, not blacks. Yet we don't pull out the race-card and use the 'r' word every minute.

-

I bet Danielia Cotton and Eva Marcille have a similar card like this. lol
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness is a guy IRL
cassiterides banned yet again
Member # 18409

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness is a guy IRL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Note the populations of the only temperate steepe in africa are the fairest skinned caucasoids.

The kabyles of the algerian hills -

-

-

Are these people black to you? That's what you afronuts can never accept - the simple fact africa has been historically populated by different races. The phenotypic diversity is because of the different races, not apart of a 'natural' tropical african diversity. Are you then saying the above blonde haired kabyles are black tropical africans... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2408 | From: My mother's basement | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness is a guy IRL
cassiterides banned yet again
Member # 18409

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness is a guy IRL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
''Berbers are undoubtedly the descendants of the races known to the Greeks and Romans under the generic name of Libyans. The Kabyles of the hills between Algiers and Bougie, and the Shawia of the Aures Mountains are very similar to one another and may be taken as typical Berbers. They are distinctly white-skinned, even when sunburned. Usually they have black hair and brown or hazel eyes, some have yellow hair and blue eyes. In the royal necropolis of Thebes of about 1300 B.C., certain Libyans are depicted as having a white skin, blue eyes and fair beards.
- Alfred Cort Haddon, The Races of Man and Their Distribution (1924), University Press, 1924, p.36

''They are strange people these Kabyles, both in customs and physical aspects. Native of Africa time out of mind, many of them present the purest type of the blonde races, blue or gray eyes, tawny beard, fair complexion, curly light or reddish hair, muscular in build and often tall in stature. When I came to look at the many evidently portraits busts on the tombs of the ancient Etruscans, there was something in the features, in the shape of head and face, which reminded me of these Kabyles.''
- Daniel Garrison Brinton, The Ethnologic affinities of the Ancient Etruscans, Proceedings, American Philosophical Society, vol. 26, 1889, p.504

The Berbers, among whom even today one finds light skins and blue eyes, do not go back to the Vandal invasions of the fifth century A.D., but to the prehistoric Atlantic Nordic human wave. The Kabyle huntsmen, for example, are to no small degree still wholly Nordic (thus the blond Berbers in the region of Constantine form 10 % of the population; at Djebel Sheshor they are even more numerous).
- Alfred Rosenberg, The Myth of the Twentieth Century (1930), Hrp, 2004, p.6

''Of the Berbers there is much good to be said. Whether in the olive-clad mountains of Kabylia or the terraced valleys of their Aurasian fastnesses, they are white men, and in general act like white men. Among them the virtues of honesty, hospitality, and good-nature are conspicuous. It is not their misfortune alone that the lowlands know them no more ; not their misfortune only that Mohammedanism has debarred them from entering as they would otherwise have entered on the path of European progress and liberality : it is the misfortune of the whole civilised world. Descendants of a mighty race whose culture once spread from the Atlantic to the Red Sea and the Hauran, from Crete to Timbuctoo and the Soudan, there are still to be found among them the vestiges of the arts and sciences, of the spirit of conquest, of the capacity for self-government which, if developed, would make them again a great nation.''
- Melville William Hilton-Simpson, Among the Hill Folk of Algeria (1921), Read Books, 2007, p.4

Posts: 2408 | From: My mother's basement | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
@cassiterides

Again, meet me in Camberwell and tell me that to my face...

No thank you.

And why are you living in a country you are not indigenous to?

Translation: I am a pussyfart who rants and raves like a $.5,00 ho safely behind the computer, but when being confronted in real life, I am so damn scared. I am what you call a bitchboy.

-

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Predominance of lineages defined by "the African M35/81 biallelic marker." [Big Grin]

quote:
''Berbers are undoubtedly the descendants of the races known to the Greeks and Romans under the generic name of Libyans. The Kabyles of the hills between Algiers and Bougie, and the Shawia of the Aures Mountains are very similar to one another and may be taken as typical Berbers. They are distinctly white-skinned, even when sunburned. Usually they have black hair and brown or hazel eyes, some have yellow hair and blue eyes. In the royal necropolis of Thebes of about 1300 B.C., certain Libyans are depicted as having a white skin, blue eyes and fair beards.
- Alfred Cort Haddon, The Races of Man and Their Distribution (1924), University Press, 1924, p.36

''They are strange people these Kabyles, both in customs and physical aspects. Native of Africa time out of mind, many of them present the purest type of the blonde races, blue or gray eyes, tawny beard, fair complexion, curly light or reddish hair, muscular in build and often tall in stature. When I came to look at the many evidently portraits busts on the tombs of the ancient Etruscans, there was something in the features, in the shape of head and face, which reminded me of these Kabyles.''
- Daniel Garrison Brinton, The Ethnologic affinities of the Ancient Etruscans, Proceedings, American Philosophical Society, vol. 26, 1889, p.504

The Berbers, among whom even today one finds light skins and blue eyes, do not go back to the Vandal invasions of the fifth century A.D., but to the prehistoric Atlantic Nordic human wave. The Kabyle huntsmen, for example, are to no small degree still wholly Nordic (thus the blond Berbers in the region of Constantine form 10 % of the population; at Djebel Sheshor they are even more numerous).
- Alfred Rosenberg, The Myth of the Twentieth Century (1930), Hrp, 2004, p.6

''Of the Berbers there is much good to be said. Whether in the olive-clad mountains of Kabylia or the terraced valleys of their Aurasian fastnesses, they are white men, and in general act like white men. Among them the virtues of honesty, hospitality, and good-nature are conspicuous. It is not their misfortune alone that the lowlands know them no more ; not their misfortune only that Mohammedanism has debarred them from entering as they would otherwise have entered on the path of European progress and liberality : it is the misfortune of the whole civilised world. Descendants of a mighty race whose culture once spread from the Atlantic to the Red Sea and the Hauran, from Crete to Timbuctoo and the Soudan, there are still to be found among them the vestiges of the arts and sciences, of the spirit of conquest, of the capacity for self-government which, if developed, would make them again a great nation.''
- Melville William Hilton-Simpson, Among the Hill Folk of Algeria (1921), Read Books, 2007, p.4

-

What is the linguistic phylum of Greece and Italy? lol

A history of the Maghrib in the Islamic period

By Jamil M. Abun-Nasr

Cambridge University Press, 1987 - page 5.

..."it is important to bear in mind that over the centuries the Maghreb has been a melting-pot of many other ethnic groups and cultures"

During historic times, Berbers experienced a long and complicated history with many invasions, conquests, and migrations by Phoenicians, Romans, Vandals, Byzantines, Arabs, Bedouins, Spanish, Turks, Andalusians, sub-Saharans (communities settled in Jerba and Gabes in the 16th–19th centuries), and French (Brett and Fentress 1996). During these invasions, Berbers were forced back to the mountains and to certain villages in southern Tunisia (Fadhlaoui-Zid et al. 2004).

"Frigi et al.(2010) suggest these possibilities as factors in their consideration of the asymmetric assimilation of females of non-African origin into Berber-speaking populations whose males currently have a predominance of lineages defined by the African M35/81 biallelic marker.

Quote; whose males currently have a predominance of lineages defined by the African M35/81 biallelic marker.

It is interesting that these “non-African”mtDNA lineages are usually predominant while being diverse (Coudray et al. 2009; Fadhlaoui-Zid et al. 2004; Khodjet-el-Khil et al. 2008).

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
^ Note the populations of the only temperate steepe in africa are the fairest skinned caucasoids.

The kabyles of the algerian hills -

-

-

Are these people black to you? That's what you afronuts can never accept - the simple fact africa has been historically populated by different races. The phenotypic diversity is because of the different races, not apart of a 'natural' tropical african diversity. Are you then saying the above blonde haired kabyles are black tropical africans... [Roll Eyes]

Boy...are you dumb...hilarious. lol

-

If you are not from Northwest African descent stop claiming it and try to steal it.

typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for typeZeiss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Every American bookstore I've ever been to has whole shelves devoted to Greco-Roman "classical" history, but only a couple of books at most on ancient northern Europeans. In my high school world history class, our textbook had two whole chapters about Greece and Rome, but skipped over the rest of Europe until the medieval period; similarly, my college American government class cited Athens and the Roman Republic as influences on American democracy while failing to mention the Germanic institution of the thing, a popular assembly in which all freemen in the community could elect their chieftains and have a say on how the community should operate. America has whole museum wings devoted to Greco-Roman sculpture and artwork (and the museums themselves have Greco-Roman-inspired architecture), but I don't recall ever seeing so much as an exhibit for pagan northern European art and culture. Honestly, Native American and African civilizations get more exposure in our history textbooks and museums than anything from pre-Christian northern Europe.

To be fair, part of the reason for this almost certainly is that the Greeks and Romans left behind more in the way of written records than their northern European contemporaries and built using less perishable materials, so we know more about them. However, given how northern Europeans are commonly maligned as "barbarians" in our traditional historiographies, how Greece and Rome are glorified as the "cradles of Western civilization", and how any decline in power for Mediterranean civilizations is called the "Dark Ages", I get the impression that white Americans in general identify more with the Greco-Romans than they do other ancient Europeans. That is ironic because most white Americans are not descended from Greeks or Romans, but from the Celtic and Germanic peoples whom the Greeks and Romans considered their cultural inferiors. We are slighting our own ancestors in favor of their conquerors. Why is that?

Actually, I know why that is: it's because white Americans want to believe that we as a race have always led the world in material technology, built really big stone buildings, and went around conquering and "civilizing" other people. We don't want to admit that we once had a fundamentally different culture from our current ideal of "civilized", that we were once regarded as primitive barbarians, and that much of what we call "Western civiization" was imposed on us by foreign conquerors. We need to believe this because associating ourselves with Greece and Rome we delude ourselves into a false sense of racial or cultural superiority.

The fact of the matter is that the Greeks and Romans, though definitely influential on the rest of the ancient world, were not the ancestors of most of white America. They were olive-skinned Mediterranean people who reviled us. We, on the other hand, were not merely unwashed barbarians; we had rich and complex mythologies and belief systems; reverence for the natural world; beautiful artwork and music; advanced metallurgy, shipbuilding, and navigation; and while we may not have built quite on the scale of the Mediterranean cultures, we still had our megaliths. In addition, many of our cultures had quasi-democratic governments as previously mentioned and (at least in the case of the Celts) treated women with far more respect than the Greeks and Romans ever did. And the truth is that many of our true ancestors' traditions still survive today; as one example, what is the modern legend of Santa Claus if not an adaptation of Germanic traditions about Wodan's giving gifts to children in exchange for food?

White America must show more reverence to our true heritage.

Because these are the civilizations western society have patterned themselves off of in some way, shape or fashion.

I agree with Diop in that, the same way the europeans have fashioned their societies (loosely) off of Greece and Rome, Africa should do the same with Ancient Egypt/Kush

Posts: 1296 | From: the planet | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why do white people fetishize Greece and Rome?

This question suggests it makes more sense for people to esteem cultures closer to where they come from.

this question is even more clever than I could come up with, subliminal, I've got to hand it to him

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asante:
quote:
@cassiterides

I don't know if I should try and reason with you. I've followed your comments on this forum and you're clearly extremely well read, which makes your world view all the more tragic.

What is it that makes you so angry? Not just about Truthcentric, but the idea of Black Egypt or anything else Black-related?

Well read lmao have you not seen this yet

http://fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=77098

I read this and fell out of my seat laughing ... this has got to be the funny thing ever!!!
Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Men Kheper Ra:
quote:
Originally posted by asante:
quote:
@cassiterides

I don't know if I should try and reason with you. I've followed your comments on this forum and you're clearly extremely well read, which makes your world view all the more tragic.

What is it that makes you so angry? Not just about Truthcentric, but the idea of Black Egypt or anything else Black-related?

Well read lmao have you not seen this yet

http://fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=77098

I read this and fell out of my seat laughing ... this has got to be the funny thing ever!!!
And here is what one of the posters on that forum wrote:LMBO!!!!
You need to start with something simpler.

A train leaves Chicago at 44.3 MPH traveling due East. If the Engineer stops looking forward, how long will it take the train to fall off the edge of the Earth?

Well you still haven't answered that question C-ass-ride ....

Wow I can't stop laughing as I go through the forum.

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com