EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Kemetians as depicted by foreigners

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kemetians as depicted by foreigners
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos Coke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any images of how foreigners/contemporaries of the Ancient Egyptians depicted them during the dynastic era?

The following link shows pictures taken at San Diego Museum of a kantharos. The image on the left apparently depicts Busiris, a mythical king of Egypt. Whilst Busiris is a character from mythology, it's interesting that, as an Egyptian, he is represented as a black African stereotype.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/1na1plv7t-aFdqH6Vsu4LA?select=QUZwDTYNpBrHS-3fGZMivg

There's also a depiction in Toby Wilkinson's Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt titled The Assyrian Army attacks an Egyptian town (p433). It's from the Werner Forman Archive and shows the captive and terrorized inhabitants being led away by Assyrian soldiers. The inhabitants look African to me, but it would be good if someone else could find it and take a look.

Posts: 838 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ The used Saqaliba must be reeling!

X-ray results of Thuya, Mommy of Queen Tiye
 -
Mother of Queen Tiye
Rounded, prominent occipital bun; sagittal plateau; rounded forehead. Vertical zygomatic arches; proclined upper and lower incisors; strongly receding chin; steep mandible angle. Maxillary prognathism.
-- (All African traits)

'The Elder Lady' (Tiye herself)
 -
First identified as Queen Tiye
The occipital bun is reminiscent of Mesolithic Nubians (see below). Sagittal plateau, rounded forehead with moderately projecting glabella; globular cranium with high vault. Protrusion of incisors, receding chin and steep mandible. Very vertical zygomatic arches and pronounced maxillary prognathism. The Elder Lady possesses an occipital bun comparable to Mesolithic Nubians.

From X-ray Atlas of the Royal Mummies by Drs. Kent and Wente.

Of course the Saqaliba fool has seen all this info before but thinks he can put forth blonde alkali bleached mummies as his 'evidence'. LOL [Wink]

Posts: 26316 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting back to the topic...

quote:
Originally posted by claus3600:

Does anyone have any images of how foreigners/contemporaries of the Ancient Egyptians depicted them during the dynastic era?

The following link shows pictures taken at San Diego Museum of a kantharos. The image on the left apparently depicts Busiris, a mythical king of Egypt. Whilst Busiris is a character from mythology, it's interesting that, as an Egyptian, he is represented as a black African stereotype.

-

There's also a depiction in Toby Wilkinson's Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt titled The Assyrian Army attacks an Egyptian town (p433). It's from the Werner Forman Archive and shows the captive and terrorized inhabitants being led away by Assyrian soldiers. The inhabitants look African to me, but it would be good if someone else could find it and take a look.

Here are more 'Classical' Greek depictions of Herakles attacking Busiris, King of Egypt!

Notice the features.

-

-
 -

^ As Classicist Mary Lefkowitz has pointed out, Egyptians are stereotyped as having very curly hair, snubbed noses, and full lips, as well as men having circumcised penises.

Posts: 26316 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Claus. There is a book in my nearby library called The Aethiopian in Greco-Roman Culture not to be confused with Frank Snowden's Blacks in Antiquity. This book which was written by a Classicist (I forgot her name) was published many years before Snowden's is quite eye-opening and I hope to present it to this forum in the future. Unfortunately she delves only in the what she called the 'scientific' definition of black or 'true negro' for much of her book, but the opening chapter about ancient definitions which included Egyptians is quite interesting.
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos Coke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Djehuti

Thanks for that.

Got any representations of Egyptians by non-Europeans, such as the Hyksos, Libyans, Assyrians and Persians?

Posts: 838 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Claus. There is a book in my nearby library called The Aethiopian in Greco-Roman Culture not to be confused with Frank Snowden's Blacks in Antiquity. This book which was written by a Classicist (I forgot her name) was published many years before Snowden's is quite eye-opening and I hope to present it to this forum in the future. Unfortunately she delves only in the what she called the 'scientific' definition of black or 'true negro' for much of her book, but the opening chapter about ancient definitions which included Egyptians is quite interesting.

I look forward to reading excerpts from this book! [Smile]
Posts: 7096 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omo Baba
Member # 18816

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omo Baba         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Getting back to the topic...

quote:

-

Here are more 'Classical' Greek depictions of Herakles attacking Busiris, King of Egypt!

Notice the features.

-

-
 -

^ As Classicist Mary Lefkowitz has pointed out, Egyptians are stereotyped as having very curly hair, snubbed noses, and full lips, as well as men having circumcised penises.

Yet the same Mary Lefkowitz hasn't written any book in defense of Black Ancient Egypt as passionately as she did for Greece.
Posts: 314 | From: Home | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^No matter. SHe doesn't have to write a book. She
admits the indigenous African character of Egypt,
and is on record for doing so, despite denials by
idiotic racist types.

-

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5906 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lefkowitz is a Classicist whose subject of expertise is Greece not Egypt, so of course she only comes in defense of Greece even though we know African/Egyptian influence was greater than she cares to admit.

quote:

@Djehuti

Thanks for that.

Got any representations of Egyptians by non-Europeans, such as the Hyksos, Libyans, Assyrians and Persians?

Libyans didn't make any depictions of their own that I'm aware of outside of their rule in Egypt. The same with the Hyksos. Their portrayal of Egyptians followed the same standard artistic portrayals of other Egyptians. As for the Assyrians and Persians, I haven't found any yet although the few depictions from Assyria of 'Nubian' captives may in fact be Egyptian.
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
@djehuti
What about this one, from Wilkinson's Rise and Fall? Assyrian army attacks an Egyptian town.The captives at the bottom of the screen? Are they nubian or Egyptian? Or is it difficult to tell. (Apologies if the image is too small)

-

Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Oh crap!
africurious
Member # 19611

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for africurious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^claus, are you referring to the 2nd pic in this web page captives of assyrian attack

The caption says they are kushites and that the officers of the army are wearing feathers on their heads. Good question, how can one know if they are indeed kushites or egyptians

Posts: 214 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
@africurious

Yes, it is it. The version I was trying to post was a smaller section of the relief you've shown, and mirror reversed -I guess to make it look 'new'.

I'm so cynical!

Byron Bumper
Member # 19992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Byron Bumper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BEEP BEEP SCREECH KISS CUSS

--------------------
BEEP BEEP SCREECH KISS CUSS

Posts: 49 | From: auto salvage yard | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com