EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Race and Intelligence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Race and Intelligence
'Calabooz'
Member # 18223

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Calabooz'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, was wondering if anybody could direct me to some studies regarding the debate on race and intelligence and your stance on the matter.

Also, if anybody has the full text to this

A critique of Rushton on race, brain size and intelligence

Would be helpful [Smile]

Thanks

Posts: 46 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Calabooz'
Member # 18223

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Calabooz'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump Bump bumpity bump bump
Posts: 46 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Near:
Hey guys, was wondering if anybody could direct me to some studies regarding the debate on race and intelligence and your stance on the matter.

Would be helpful [Smile]

Thanks

I can pretty much guarantee you that there will be no responses to this thread for 2 reasons:

1.) There is no such thing as race so to answer a question like that would show ones lack of intelligence and research.

2.) Intelligence is strictly based on social environment. I may be a top chief and have all of the wisdom of cooking but don't know anything about farming. Who is more intelligent - the Farmer who doesn't know how to cook or the chief who doesn't know how to farm?

In America they believe themselves to be the most intelligent besides the East Asians and that's based on Western Standards - but in Africa you have 5 year old kids who speak 6 different languages and know all of the techniques to survival. If you was to take an American 5 year old child or even 20 year old man and put him in that environment she/he would appear to be slightly mentally retarded though in Western society he/she may be considered a genius.

Neither answer can be answered on the most basic fundamental rules of logic because both questions are foolish questions to the learned.

Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Calabooz'
Member # 18223

Rate Member
^Wow thanks for the help (not srs).

Never said there was such a thing as race, I was simply asking for opinions/studies on the debate on race and intelligence. As they are still persistent in academia. And to answer my initial post would not prove lack of research or intellect, but the opposite.

quote:
1.) There is no such thing as race so to answer a question like that would show ones lack of intelligence and research.
quote:
Neither answer can be answered on the most basic fundamental rules of logic because both questions are foolish questions to the learned.
So being learned is intelligent? Sucks for the farmers and cooks. Also, aren't you basically answering my questions? Seems like you just wrote all that to make up for your lack of research, thanks.

I agree that there are different type of intelligence. What I really want to know is if there is a difference in brain size among populations, does it have a biological basis? Is intelligence and cranial capacity positively correlated? Or any study really showing that there is no biological basis for intelligence differences/evidence that it is environmental

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/05/29/wake-controversy-over-harvard-dissertation-race-and-iq-scrutiny-michigan-state

^^^ haven't read this yet, a recent article on a controversial dissertation somebody at Harvard wrote on race and intelligence and iimmigration

Posts: 42947 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ru2religious
Member # 4547

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ru2religious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^Wow thanks for the help (not srs).

Never said there was such a thing as race, I was simply asking for opinions/studies on the debate on race and intelligence. As they are still persistent in academia. And to answer my initial post would not prove lack of research or intellect, but the opposite.

quote:
quote:
So being learned is intelligent? Sucks for the farmers and cooks. Also, aren't you basically answering my questions? Seems like you just wrote all that to make up for your lack of research, thanks.

I agree that there are different type of intelligence. What I really want to know is if there is a difference in brain size among populations, does it have a biological basis? Is intelligence and cranial capacity positively correlated? Or any study really showing that there is no biological basis for intelligence differences/evidence that it is environmental

Not lack of research but having researched such issues as this over 20 years ago. Its really in vain basically what I'm saying - but if you can take from what I wrote above then cool - if not I understand. Its really that simple.
Posts: 951 | From: where rules end and freedom begins | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Calabooz'
Member # 18223

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/05/29/wake-controversy-over-harvard-dissertation-race-and-iq-scrutiny-michigan-state

^^^ haven't read this yet, a recent article on a controversial dissertation somebody at Harvard wrote on race and intelligence and iimmigration

Yeah I heard about this, which is completely stupid. Which is why I am compiling all I can about this subject. But just goes to show this type of thinking is still persistent

quote:
Not lack of research but having researched such issues as this over 20 years ago. Its really in vain basically what I'm saying - but if you can take from what I wrote above then cool - if not I understand. Its really that simple.
20years is along time for new research material, no?

It's not that I can't take from what you wrote, I agree with some of it, it's that it just wasn't helpful in the context of this thread

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Read this:

http://vserver1.cscs.lsa.umich.edu/~crshalizi/sloth/lieberman-on-rushton.pdf

--------------------
mr.writer.asa@gmail.com

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ru2religious:
quote:

Would be helpful [Smile]

Thanks

I can pretty much guarantee you that there will be no responses to this thread for 2 reasons:

2.) Intelligence is strictly based on social environment. I may be a top chief and have all of the wisdom of cooking but don't know anything about farming. Who is more intelligent - the Farmer who doesn't know how to cook or the chief who doesn't know how to farm?

In America they believe themselves to be the most intelligent besides the East Asians and that's based on Western Standards - but in Africa you have 5 year old kids who speak 6 different languages and know all of the techniques to survival. If you was to take an American 5 year old child or even 20 year old man and put him in that environment she/he would appear to be slightly mentally retarded though in Western society he/she may be considered a genius.

Agreed 100%!
Posts: 1135 | From: Top secret | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the is no such thing as race, basically the world has two types of people, Tropical and Cold adapted
Posts: 42947 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Calabooz'
Member # 18223

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sundjata:
^Read this:

http://vserver1.cscs.lsa.umich.edu/~crshalizi/sloth/lieberman-on-rushton.pdf

Thanks sir!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com