EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egyptian Chiaroscuro?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Chiaroscuro?
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know of any particular frescoes which may show that the Egyptians may have practiced chiaroscuro in their works? This excerpt from a book says so. Read the first paragraph. It says it was common in the Amarna period.

http://www.bookrags.com/ebooks/17321/176.html

Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -

Chiaroscuro » shading

Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what it is. I'm asking did the Egyptians ever use it like the article says. I just want to see some pics of frescoes that supposedly show it.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put that up because others might not know what the term meant,

I looked for>

"Possibly one of the finest Egyptian representations of an animal is the fresco of a goat in the tomb of Gen-Amen, discovered by Mr. Mond. There is even an attempt here at chiaroscuro, which is unknown to Egyptian art generally, except at Tell el-Amarna. "

^^^ couldn't find it
also sometimes a goat is confused for a ram,

good thread question

Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ebony Allen:
Anyone know of any particular frescoes which may show that the Egyptians may have practiced chiaroscuro in their works? This excerpt from a book says so. Read the first paragraph. It says it was common in the Amarna period.

http://www.bookrags.com/ebooks/17321/176.html

-
Posts: 22244 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
^^ Well I guess in the above image the chiaroscuro is reflected on Nefertiti and the sun, correct?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
no, that's not chiaroscuro it's shadow from the carving
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
the quote actually comes from

History of Egypt, Chaldea, Syria, Babylonia, and Assyria in the ... - Google Books Result

Leonard William King, Harry Reginald Hall - ‎1906 - 468 pages

Possibly one of the finest Egyptian representations of an animal is the fresco of a goat in the tomb of Gen- Amen, discovered by Mr. Mond. There is even an ...

ALSO

Egypt and Western Asia in the light of recent discoveries -

Leonard William King, Harry Reginald Hall - ‎1907 - 480 pages
Possibly one of the finest Egyptian representations of an animal is the fresco of a goat in the tomb of Gen- Amen, discovered by Mr. Mond. There is even an ...

when they speak of Gen-Amen
they mean the famous Tomb of Menna discovered by Robert Mond ( an alternate word maybe, Gen-Amen)

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17321/17321-h/17321-h.htm

^^^ the picture I think they are talking about is called Wall Painting from a tomb at Sheikh Abd el-Qurna (where Menna's and many other tombs are)

the text you mentioned is there.

The reproduction quality is very poor unfortunately about 3/4 scroll down. maybe somebody can find a better version

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I used html for reading so ther were no page numbers. Just search
"Gen- Amen" in the book and the picture is there

Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
I am confused. You mean the book in the gutenberg link.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
I am confused. You mean the book in the gutenberg link.

yes>

-

I don't see a goat however. I believe Gen-men = Tomb of Menna.
R.L. Mond discovered that tomb

go to link search "Gen-men" and this page comes up

notice fire extinguisher at far lower left

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^^ Well I guess in the above image the chiaroscuro is reflected on Nefertiti and the sun, correct?

Yes, it is. It was carved in such that it gives a shadow effect and depth of field.

Artist used different styles during different dynasties.

This is one of the ways to determine the age of hieroglyphs.

Posts: 22244 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Possibly here :

_________^^click

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com