EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » RE: Southern Europeans More African Than Thought/Jeffs arguments

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RE: Southern Europeans More African Than Thought/Jeffs arguments
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.livescience.com/37092-southern-europeans-have-african-genes.html

I am touching base back on this article that said Southern Europeans are more African than thought for a more detailed look. It was quite interesting to me and everyone on here agreed with it, but I wanted to post an opposing view and see what others thought. Anyways...

I haven't been on Topix for a very, very long time due to it being a complete nuthouse now. But a poster named Jeff(who seems to be the more reasonable poster), Jeff for some reasons denies African influence into Europe and claim Europeans have very little to almost non existent African genes. He mostly tries to argue against any African genetic contribution into Europe, and he also seems to try and differentiate North Africa and Sub Sahara Africa from each other. Here are his arguments against the article, which are actually very constructed.

quote:
Since you did not get it the first time around: You do realize you just posted a study that state Italians have as little to no African admixture as all other Europeans, right? Let me break it down for you:

A) That news article is misleading and written by a "journalist" who has not read the actual study and who obviously is geographically challenged and can't find Italy on a map. I mean, when has Italy all of the sudden become SOUTHWESTERN Europe? Has there been a huge climatic event where the earth shifted landscapes that we haven't hear about? Maybe the 'journalist' should take a course in geography before she starts to tackle the highly complex subject of human genetics. 

B) Here is what the actual scientists state about their findings. Stanford geneticist Carlos Bustamante is one of the scientists who lead the study, his comments that South Central European regions like Italy and Southeast European countries like Greece had little to no North African admixture is clear as can be:

"To me, the differences among Southern European populations were really interesting. Populations in southwestern Europe, such as Spain and Portugal, showed clear evidence of North African gene flow, BUT THERE WAS LITTLE in south-central regions such as Italy, or in the southeastern populations of Greece or Turkey. We attribute this to relatively recent gene flow in historical times (most likely during the period of Moorish inhabitation in Iberia) that differentially impacted European regions." ~ Stanford geneticist Carlos Bustamante 

C) That study talks about gene flow from North Africa into Iberia, not Sub Saharan Africans since it distinguishes the difference between North Africans and Sub Saharan Africans as its Abstract states below:

Abstract
Using SNP data from 2,099 individuals in 43 populations, we show that estimates of recent shared ancestry between Europe and Africa are substantially increased when gene flow from North Africans, rather than Sub-Saharan Africans, is considered. The gradient of North African ancestry accounts for previous observations of low levels of sharing with Sub-Saharan Africa and is independent of recent gene flow from the Near East.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/05/30/1306223110.abstract

quote:
They aren't that different from Northern Europeans, and Southern Europeans have as little to no African admixture as all other Europeans. As study after study has shown they only carry less then 3% African DNA, meanwhile Eurasian and European DNA in North Africa and Northeast Africa are much higher.

quote:
Benin Sickle cell gene isn't an indication of anything. Even the study you posted when you created this thread states as much, that Southern Europeans have less then 3% to zero Sub Saharan African admixture. Its North African Berber admixture that is found in Southern Europe and that is mostly located in Iberia.
He's not really a Eurocentric or a racist, actually a nice guy but he seems to have this weird paranoia about African genes in Europeans and also the early Eurasians looking no different from Africans, when he is not even of European descent himself(supposedly). I thought I should post this and see if any member could tackle. One Eurocentric view he has is that he differentiates North Africa and from Sub Sahara Africa like North Africans are not Africans and do not have African genes..

Btw thats not me who he was debating with.

Posts: 1135 | From: Top secret | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In relative distance measurements it's logic that North Africa is closer to South Europe. And therefore more likely that North Africans interacted with Southern Europeans, instead of Africans from below the Sahara belt. Which Europeans tend to call the sub-Sahara.

quote:

"Firstly, haplogroup E-M2 (former E1b1a) and haplogroup E-M329 (former E1b1c) are now united by the mutations V38 and V100, reducing the number of E1b1 basal branches to two. The new topology of the tree has important implications concerning the origin of haplogroup E1b1. Secondly, within E1b1b1 (E-M35), two haplogroups (E-V68 and E-V257) show similar phylogenetic and geographic structure, pointing to a genetic bridge between southern European and northern African Y chromosomes. Thirdly, most of the E1b1b1* (E-M35*) paragroup chromosomes are now marked by defining mutations, thus increasing the discriminative power of the haplogroup for use in human evolution and forensics."

[...]

Within E-M35, there are striking parallels between two haplogroups, E-V68 and E-V257. Both contain a lineage which has been frequently observed in Africa (E-M78 and E-M81, respectively) [6], [8], [10], [13]–[16] and a group of undifferentiated chromosomes that are mostly found in southern Europe (Table S2). An expansion of E-M35 carriers, possibly from the Middle East as proposed by other Authors [14], and split into two branches separated by the geographic barrier of the Mediterranean Sea, would explain this geographic pattern. However, the absence of E-V68* and E-V257* in the Middle East (Table S2) makes a maritime spread between northern Africa and southern Europe a more plausible hypothesis. A detailed analysis of the Y chromosomal microsatellite variation associated with E-V68 and E-V257 could help in gaining a better understanding of the likely timing and place of origin of these two haplogroups.

--Beniamino Trombetta et al. (2011)

quote:
However, the remaining 35% of L mtDNAs form European-specific subclades, revealing that there was gene flow from sub-Saharan Africa toward Europe as early as 11,000 yr ago.
--María Cerezo (2013)
Reconstructing ancient mitochondrial DNA links between Africa and Europe

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click%20on%20image%20to%20zoom&p=PMC3&id=3337428_821fig3.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click%20on%20image%20to%20zoom&p=PMC3&id=3337428_821fig2.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3337428/

So to say or even claim that North Africans aren't African at all is laughable at best. See, when is spoken of population genetics one needs to know which segments of the population is/ was focused on.

Volume 300, 25 June 2013, Pages 153–170

The Middle Palaeolithic in the Desert

The Middle Stone Age of the Central Sahara: Biogeographical opportunities and technological strategies in later human evolution

-

-

-
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1040618212033848

Successes and failures of human dispersals from North Africa
(2011)

-

-

-
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1040618211003612

And I see that Brenda Henn was in the team as well. Logically since Carlos D. Bustamante is her tutor.

Supplemental data from that study you've posted:

quote:
Length of IBD Segments: We calculated a second statistic “LEA”, the average length of the segments shared IBD between a pair of individuals, one from European population and the other from North Africa | Sub-Saharan Africa. Normalization was based on the possible number of pairwise comparisons between both populations. LEA reflects the time since gene flow occurred in contrast to WEA (6). Interestingly, LEA shows an opposite pattern, northern and central European populations having higher values than southern ones (Fig. S17). This suggests that gene flow between southern Europe and North Africa is older than that in other regions in Europe, where longer (recent) segments are found.

While inferred IBD sharing does not indicate directionality, the North African samples that have highest IBD sharing with Iberian populations also tend to have the lowest proportion of the European cluster in ADMIXTURE (Fig. 1), e.g. Saharawi, Tunisian Berbers and South Moroccans. This suggests that gene flow occurred from Africa to Europe rather than the other way around.

http://www.pnas.org/content/suppl/2013/05/30/1306223110.DCSupplemental/sapp.pdf

quote:

".. it appears that Europeans are about
two-thirds Asians and one-third
African."

--Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza (2001).
Genes, peoples and languages. FARRAR
STRAUS AND GIROUX Publishers

PNAS July 22, 1997 vol. 94 no. 15 7719-7724

http://www.pnas.org/content/94/15/7719.full

Ask Jeff when he is going to rant his nonsense claim to local people on location. Tell hem to go, and record it on video. See the problem with Jeff and many clowns online is, they don't know what the average North African looks like.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol aka Ish Gebor:

While inferred IBD sharing does not indicate directionality, the North African samples that have highest IBD sharing with Iberian populations also tend to have the lowest proportion of the European cluster in ADMIXTURE (Fig. 1), e.g. Saharawi, Tunisian Berbers and South Moroccans. This suggests that gene flow occurred from Africa to Europe rather than the other way around.

^^^ what's the name of the article that supplimental is from?
Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
^^^ what's the name and author of the article that supplimental is from?

Detailed info can be found in the Portable Document Format
(PDF)

I wrote, that it's supplemental "Identity by descent" data from the same study SOR posted from.

Meaning:

"Gene flow from North Africa contributes to differential human genetic diversity in Southern Europe"
--Bustamante et al.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Son of Ra:
http://www.livescience.com/37092-southern-europeans-have-african-genes.html

I am touching base back on this article that said Southern Europeans are more African than thought for a more detailed look. It was quite interesting to me and everyone on here agreed with it, but I wanted to post an opposing view and see what others thought. Anyways...

quote:
They aren't that different from Northern Europeans, and Southern Europeans have as little to no African admixture as all other Europeans. As study after study has shown they only carry less then 3% African DNA, meanwhile Eurasian and European DNA in North Africa and Northeast Africa are much higher.

quote:
Benin Sickle cell gene isn't an indication of anything. Even the study you posted when you created this thread states as much, that Southern Europeans have less then 3% to zero Sub Saharan African admixture. Its North African Berber admixture that is found in Southern Europe and that is mostly located in Iberia.
He's not really a Eurocentric or a racist, actually a nice guy but he seems to have this weird paranoia about African genes in Europeans and also the early Eurasians looking no different from Africans, when he is not even of European descent himself(supposedly). I thought I should post this and see if any member could tackle. One Eurocentric view he has is that he differentiates North Africa and from Sub Sahara Africa like North Africans are not Africans and do not have African genes..

Btw thats not me who he was debating with.

I'm am not clear on Jeff's claim. When he says Europeans have less than 3% African DNA does he include Berber?
Or is he calling Berber descent not African and could be of a higher percentage mixed into Spanish population?

E-M81, age 5600 years, is considered the main berber marker

In Europe>

E-M81 is widespread but rare, except in the Iberian Peninsula Spain, where unlike in the rest of Europe[Note 6] it is found at comparable levels to E-M78, with an average frequency of around 5%, and in some regions it is more common. Its frequencies are higher in the western half of the peninsula with frequencies reaching 8% in Extremadura and South Portugal, 9% in Galicia, 14% in Western Andalusia and 10% in Northwest Castile and 9% to 17% in Cantabria.[19][33][34][35][36] The highest frequencies of this clade found so far in Europe were observed in the Pasiegos from Cantabria, ranging from 18% (8/45)[36] to 41% (23/56).[2] An average frequency of 8.28% (54/652) has also been reported in the Spanish Canary Islands with frequencies over 10% in the three largest islands of Tenerife (10.68%), Gran Canaria (11.54%) and Fuerteventura (13.33%).[37] E-M81 is also found in France,[2] 2.70% (15/555) overall with frequencies surpassing 5% in Auvergne (5/89) and Île-de-France (5/91),[38][39] in Sicily (approximately 2% overall, but up to 5% in Piazza Armerina),[40] and in very much lower frequencies in continental Italy (especially near Lucera)[35] possibly due to ancient migrations during the Islamic, Roman, and Carthaginian empires. As a result of its old world distribution, this subclade is found throughout Latin America, for example 6.1% in Cuba,[41] 5.4% in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), [Note 7] and among Hispanic men from California and Hawaii 2.4%.[42] In smaller numbers, E-M81 men can be found in areas in contact with [North Africa, both around the Sahara, in places like Sudan, and around the Mediterranean in places like Lebanon, Turkey, and amongst Sephardic Jews. There are two recognized subclades of E-M81, although one is much more important than the other.

Tunisian Berbers are highest in E-M81 about 60% frequency some over 90%

-
 -  -
[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/picture-5.html]  -

Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
^Why are you posting pictures of people who's ancestry you don't know?

It's beyond me.

Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Troll Patrol

So what you're basically saying is that North Africans and Southern Europeans obviously cluster because of close proximity and historic relations? But that doesn't mean North Africans are any less Africans. Like Horners showing close relations with Middle Easteners DNA wise than other Africans, but that doesn't mean Horners are any less African. Is that what you mean? I hope I am not posting you out of context. One flaw Jeff makes is that he seperates Northwest Africans away from other Africans.

Also what is the average Northwest African look? I believe we discussed that in one of my threads. I believed it was the mulatto type look. But I remember you saying modern day North Africans still show stereotypical features in some of their looks.

Also I really can't tell Jeff anything since I dont even know if he goes on Topix since I havent been on that site in ages, I just saw that argument he was making from a past thread and thought everyone here should see if its really valid how he makes it out to be.

Posts: 1135 | From: Top secret | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] @Troll Patrol

So what you're basically saying is that North Africans

you have to define what you mean by North Africans or use a differnt term. In order to be most precise sometimes I prefer Maghrebian and Sahelians rather than North African because those terms have a more set meaning.
Most anthropology articles that refer to dry period North Africa are referring to the Maghreb not Egypt, not the Sahel, just the countries that border the North coast excluding Egypt.

There's nothing to say that this is the best way to describe North Africa but remarks made about North Africa should be associated with the region intended by the person who makes them. Importantly a dispute about the name of a region is a separate issue from what somebody says about an area they have defined according to whatever boundries they like.

The smaller the region the more accurate the analysis.

Not saying any of these is best but when peopls say "North Africa" they could mean

a) the Maghreb

b) the Maghreb and Egypt

c) the Maghreb, the Sahel

d) the Maghgreb, the Sahel and Egypt
(geographic definition)

d) the Mahgreb, Egypt and Sudan

e) the Maghgreb, the Sahel, Egypt and Sudan

^^^ so as you can see people can say "North Africa", make remarks about it, but you have to inquire further to see what definition they are using.

if you don't use the term "North Africa" when talking about the modern anthropology it causes less confusion to talk about these regions separately:

Maghreb
Sahel
Nile valley

I don't always remember to but I try.
You can still make statements common to all three regions if you want to.

(geographic terms are used differently, North Africa simply means the whole Northern portion of Africa)

Also discussing the modern region is different that discussing the old region because back in the day it was a lot wetter and had more vegetation and rivers. After the Sahara began to dry up
most of the population left what had become desert

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
@Troll Patrol

So what you're basically saying is that North Africans and Southern Europeans obviously cluster because of close proximity and historic relations? But that doesn't mean North Africans are any less Africans. Like Horners showing close relations with Middle Easteners DNA wise than other Africans, but that doesn't mean Horners are any less African. Is that what you mean? I hope I am not posting you out of context. One flaw Jeff makes is that he seperates Northwest Africans away from other Africans.

Also what is the average Northwest African look? I believe we discussed that in one of my threads. I believed it was the mulatto type look. But I remember you saying modern day North Africans still show stereotypical features in some of their looks.

Also I really can't tell Jeff anything since I dont even know if he goes on Topix since I havent been on that site in ages, I just saw that argument he was making from a past thread and thought everyone here should see if its really valid how he makes it out to be.

First off it's not what I am saying. It's what studies show.

Second, it's only logic that in distance measurements, people within a certain space and or region cluster more. This theory is valid in all parts of the world.

Another example would be, Northeast lower Egyptians, they cluster more with Levantines. However, recent events has shown that modern day Syrians aren't accepted in Egypt. So it's not like the "Brady Bunch".

And the most common separation is between Northeast and Northwest Africa.

In the context of the study you've posted we are speaking of Northwest Africa's, North-South latitude. Considering they mentioned the Saharawi, the West Saharans.

And yes, 9/10 times you would mistake a average North African for a mulatto.

It happens often, when a white person mistakes a "biracial person" for a North African. And there is ethnic differences between North Africans too. It's not like all look "the same".

-

-

-

-

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swTTgLk_y8Y

Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
@Troll Patrol

I know, I am just making sure I am not posting you out of context. And yeah most North Africans do seem to have a mulatto look like I suggested before.

Also Jeff claims Italians have less than 3% Sub Saharan African genes. Yet Autosomal DNA shows us that Southern Italians especially Sicilians have around 5-10% African genes.
 -

What are your thoughts on this? But he was right about the Greeks.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member

Son of Ra this Jeff guy said Southern Europeans had 3% African admixture

-
________________________^here is Southern Europe in dark blue

comparing to the map you posted below it looks to be about 3-5%

-

-
^^^ Craig Cobb, white supremaicist, 14% Sub Saharan African

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm9LZiKuOLI

lioness productions 2013>14

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
3-5% average it looks to me for Southern Europe, some places in Southern Europe slightly lower and some places a bit higher 5-10%
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
@Troll Patrol

I know, I am just making sure I am not posting you out of context. And yeah most North Africans do seem to have a mulatto look like I suggested before.

Also Jeff claims Italians have less than 3% Sub Saharan African genes. Yet Autosomal DNA shows us that Southern Italians especially Sicilians have around 5-10% African genes.
 -

What are your thoughts on this? But he was right about the Greeks.

Sicily had a Moorish impact. This is well known. And it could be that some are even descendants of Pompeii.

Actually I don't like to debate, how much or less genetic input. Because I don't see the relevance on those numbers and in particular Hg types. Since recently we've been doing some discoveries in SNP's.

Sicilians in particular are relatively dark complected. And some have the appearance as those girls from Morocco, posted previously.

I think the Jeff is the owner of a site called racial-reality. He/ she cited often from the site. I have had conversations with that individual. He/ she is a sneaky subliminal racist. Far from objective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jWtCZfQ6tU

Here are a few other sources you can was from.

Differential Greek and northern African migrations to Sicily are supported by genetic evidence from the Y chromosome

Cornelia Di Gaetano et al.

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v17/n1/full/ejhg2008120a.html

(a) Geographical map showing the main colonies by Greeks (triangles) and Phoenicians (circles) in the Mediterranean (seventh to sixth centuries bc). (b) Frequency distribution of the most representative haplotype 13-13-30-24-10-11-13 associated to the E3b1a2-V13 chromosomes in Sicily, in other populations taken from literature15, 23, 29, 30 and in samples from YHRD. The allelic combinations refer to the following order of loci: DYS19-DYS389I-DYS389II-DYS390-DYS391-DYS392-DYS393. (c) Frequency distribution of the haplotype 13-14-30-24-9-11-13 associated to the E3b1b-M81 chromosomes in Sicily (data from this study), in other populations taken from literature29 and in samples from YHRD.

-

Network of haplogroup E. The microsatellites DYS19, DYS389I, DYS390, DYS391 and DYS392 were used. Areas of circles are proportional to the number of chromosomes (the smallest circle corresponds to two chromosomes). Areas of sectors are proportional to haplotype frequencies. Sources: Greece and Albania (AP unpublished data); North Africa;7, 23 southern Italy;7 Middle East.7, 15

-

Uniparental Markers of Contemporary Italian Population Reveals Details on Its Pre-Roman Heritage

Francesca Brisighelli et al.,

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0050794

-

-
--Alessio Boattini et al.
Uniparental Markers in Italy Reveal a Sex-Biased Genetic
Structure and Different Historical Strata

http://bhusers.upf.edu/dcomas/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Boattini2013.pdf

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
^Ps

-

-

Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
@Troll Patrol

Sorry I forgot to respond to this post. Anyways...

Yeah it is well known that Sicily had a Moorish presence(check this out), but how much did it affect the DNA of native Sicilians?

I don't think Jeff is the owner of racial reality. The owner of racial reality is not only a huge Eurocentric, but racist. Jeff is close to a Eurocentric, but he actually agrees that the Ancient Egyptians were African/black and admitted it multiple times. The thing is that he has a huge paranoia of African influence whether it be DNA, cultural or Historic being in Europe. He has that type of Eurocentric mindset. Now he could get his sources from racial reality, which would explain why he had been affected by Eurocentrism.

But anyways good post especially on Haplogroup E clades in Southern Europeans and this also.
 -

Also do you agree with these DNAtribes results of Sicilians? I don't know if I do.
 -

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
the term "Saharan-Arabian" has led to a lot of confusion
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
quote:

I think they mean North Africans. I don't know really...
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

They also have a column called "Northeast Africans"

there is no consistency in the terms

Like I have said if you use these terms:

Maghrebian
Sahelian
Arabian
Nile Valley

then there is much less confusion

Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Maghrebian
Sahelian
Arabian
Nile Valley

Good point.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Maghrebian
Sahelian
Arabian
Nile Valley

I while ago you posted picture of a man, of which I now have come to find out that he is Algerian. However I can't tell if he is indigenous. But sources describe him as Berber descent. He goes by the name Hamid Cheriet.

I say so, because of all the immigration/ intrusion into Algeria.

-

https://www.facebook.com/IdirOfficiel?rf=110358002325992

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=008159

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abstract
Using SNP data from 2,099 individuals in 43 populations, we show that estimates of recent shared ancestry between Europe and Africa are substantially increased when gene flow from North Africans, rather than Sub-Saharan Africans, is considered. The gradient of North African ancestry accounts for previous observations of low levels of sharing with Sub-Saharan Africa and is independent of recent gene flow from the Near East.

--------------------------------------------------

^^Keep in mind that "North Africans" are from Africa,
and "North Africa" includes a vast area, not simply the
Medit coast. SO if "North Africa"is truly considered then
yes the point is that there has been such gene flow from
"Africa" into EUrope.

-

Most studies of "North Africa" fail to account for the full
range of African diversity and sample mostly near the Medit coast.

-

-

-----------------------------------------------------------

Actually it depends on the study referenced. SOME studies of
SOME SOuthern European populations show the 3% or so admixture.
Others however among other SOuthern European populations show
much higher levels depending on the marker and sub-population uised.

1--A. HLA gene markers are limited as comprehensive
expositors of gene flow, but they do show some gene flow between
Africa and Greece and the Northern Mediterranean. They are not needed
however, as numerous other lines of evidence show the same.

These include:
-- mtDNA M1a and various L lineages,
-- nrY E-M215 and subclades,
-- AIM full genome autosomes,
-- HLA full haplotype A*30:02 Cw*05:01 B*18:01 DRB1*03:01 DQA1*05:01 DQB1*02:01,
--chromosome 7 CFTR 3120+1G->A mutation
--chromosome 8p23 YRI haplotypes,
--Benin Hb S, (sickle cell)
--GM*1,17 23' 5*,
--cDe allele of the Rh gene, (blood group analysis)
--Fy*O allele of the Duffy blood group locus and
--V (Rh10) and Jsa (K6) antigens. [/i]

1B-- Villena's Greek-Macedonian-African study has
nothing to do with the Jew-Palestinian controversy.

The study was withdrawn for political reasons, and
offended sensibilities of various Jewish and other groups.
Assorted "biodiversity" types try to use that
to advance a bogus claim that the Greek data was
"withdrawn." Total BS. It is alive and well and
appears specifically in Vilenna's Greek study:
HLA genes in Macedonians and the sub-Saharan origin of the Greeks
Tissue Antigens 2001: 57: 118-127

Jewish - Palestinian controversies have nothing
to do with it.

-

2-- The Palestinian study also notes that CERTAIN Aegean Greeks are
related to Africans via cystic fibrosis mutations.

-

4-- Anthro/Archaeo data show the early presence of African
traits (and remember Africans have a wide variety of traits)
in the Neolithic data. The full info has already been posted
but here is some anthro/archaeo data affirming the presence
of "negroid" traits from early times:

quote: "The female of forty-plus years of age from Grave 2
was examined by J. L. Angel who noted what he interpreted as
a number of 'negroid' .. traits in the face." The skull is fairly
complete, but not enough so for discriminant function analysis."
There is marked maxillary prognathism and the orbits may be
described as rectangular, traits frequently used in forensic
diagnosis of Negro crania... "

-- Skeletons of Lerna Hollow. Al B. Wesolowsky. Hesperia,
Vol. 42, No. 3. (Jul. - Sep., 1973), pp. 340-351.

"Early Neolithic Macedonia centered on a Dinaric-Mediterranean (type F)
average but with an extremely broad nose, more prognathism, and a
little more mouth tilt than expected (all, perhaps from negroid
development of the incisor region.."

-- The people of Lerna: analysis of a prehistoric Aegean population. J.L Angel 1971

"The portrayal on the 'miniature fresco' from Thera, and on the other,
very fragmentary Aegean frescoes, of diverse stylistic elements- flora
and fauna, 'negroid' human representations, the riverine setting, of the
'miniature fresco,' etc- that seem to be north African, 'Libyan' or Egyptian in origin."

--The Aegean and the Orient in the second millennium:
proceedings of the 50th anniversary symposium, Cincinnati, 18-20 April 1997

"The inhabitants of the Aegean area in the Bronze Age may have
been much like many people in the Mediterranean basin today,
short and slight of build with dark hair and eyes and sallow
complexions. Skeletons show that the population of the Aegean
was already mixed by Neolithic times, and various facial types,
some with delicate features and pointed noses, others pug-nosed,
almost negroid, are depicted in wall paintings from the 16th century BC..."

-- The Home of the Heroes: The Aegean Before the Greeks (1967)

Scholars also link the Negroid elements to sickle-cell anemia
QUOTE:
"The female from Grave 2 is among those with thickened parietals.
It should be pointed out that maxillary prognathism, one of the skeleton's
"Negroid" features, is characteristic both of thalassemia and sickle-cell anemia."

-- Skeletons of Lerna Hollow. Al B. Wesolowsky. Hesperia, Vol. 42, No. 3. (Jul. - Sep., 1973), pp. 340-351.

-

5-- Other elements like Benin Sickle Cell traits
are also found among the Greeks and various Africans
and some skeletal/cranial studies find African
elements in Greece (Angel 1972 for example)

QUOTE:

"A late Pleistocene-early Holocene northward migration (from
Africa to the Levant and to Anatolia) of these populations has been
hypothesized from skeletal data (Angel 1972, 1973; Brace 2005)
and from archaeological data, as indicated by the probable Nile
Valley origin of the "Mesolithic" (epi-Paleolithic) Mushabi culture
found in the Levant (Bar Yosef 1987). This migration finds some
support in the presence in Mediterranean populations (Sicily,
Greece, southern Turkey, etc.; Patrinos et al.; Schiliro et al. 1990)
of the Benin sickle cell haplotype. This haplotype originated in
West Africa and is probably associated with the spread of malaria
to southern Europe through an eastern Mediterranean route (Salares
et al. 2004) following the expansion of both human and mosquito
populations brought about by the advent of the Neolithic transition
(Hume et al 2003; Joy et al. 2003; Rich et al 1998). This northward
migration of northeastern African populations carrying sub-Saharan
biological elements is concordant with the morphological homogeneity
of the Natufian populations (Bocquentin 2003), which present morphological
affinity with sub-Saharan populations (Angel 1972; Brace et al. 2005).

In addition, the Neolithic revolution was assumed to arise in the late
Pleistocene Natufians and subsequently spread into Anatolia and
Europe (Bar-Yosef 2002), and the first Anatolian farmers, Neolithic to
Bronze Age Mediterraneans and to some degree other Neolithic-Bronze
Age Europeans, show morphological affinities with the Natufians (and
indirectly with sub-Saharan populations; Angel 1972; Brace et al 2005),
in concordance with a process of demic diffusion accompanying the
extension of the Neolithic revolution (Cavalli-Sforza et al. 1994)."

-- F. X. Ricaut, M. Waelkens. (2008). Cranial Discrete Traits in a Byzantine
Population and Eastern Mediterranean Population Movements Human Biology -
Volume 80, Number 5, October 2008, pp. 535-564

-

6-- Greeks, Africans and African-influenced Arab populations share
a unique common cystic fibrosis mutation

"The observed identity of extended CFTR haplotypes
for the 312011GrA alleles in the Arab, African, and
African American patients strongly suggests that this
mutation has a common origin in these groups. This
finding is not surprising in the case of Africans and African
Americans, since the latter group has originated
mostly from the western African coast and came to
North America between the 16th and 19th centuries,
which is too recent to allow origination of significant
CFTR-mutation haplotype changes restricted to African
Americans. It is not quite so simple to explain the presence
of the 312011GrA mutation in African and Saudi Arab patients.

However, a continuous gene flow between Arab and African populations
probably has persisted for many centuries, in association with
trading and with the spread of the Islamic religion. Thus
far, the Greeks are the only Caucasian population in
which the 312011GrA mutation has been identified. A
recurrent mutational event seems to be unlikely, because
the Greek haplotype differs from the others in only two
minor respects..

Greek and Arab/African haplotypes of the 312011GrA mutation thus
may have diverged from a common ancestor and then
evolved separately in the respective populations.
In summary, our present analysis provides the
first evidence for a common origin of CF among African,
Arab, Greek, and African American populations. The
shared extra- and intragenic 312011GrA-associated
haplotype is most easily explained by the assumption of
a single origin for this mutation. 312011GrA appears
to be an ancient mutation that may be more common
than previously thought, in populations of the tropical
and subtropical belt, where CF probably is an under-diagnosed
disorder."

--Dörk, et al. (August 1998). "Evidence for a common ethnic origin of cystic fibrosis mutation

7-- Other cultural/archaeo data testify to the African presence, Africans again having a wide range of features

QUOTES
"THE FORERUNNERS During the Early Minoan period the
population of southern Crete may have included a Negroid
element. The presence of such an element from Libya in the
Cretan population has been argued on the basis of an inlay of
shell now in the Ashmolean Museum. This inlay may have
come from an early circular tomb at Ayios Onouphrios. It
depicts a bearded face, with thick lips and snub nose. Other
objects might lead to the same observation for later periods.
Among the faiences showing house fronts (Middle Minoan
II)15 there is one in which are seen the prow of a ship and
swarthy, prognathous, clearly Negroid people, some
steatopygic...

It is uncertain, however, what role to assign to the non-Minoan
figures in this scene, which it has been suggested, may
represent the represent the siege of a seacoast town. Scholars
are in greater agreement with respect to their interpretations of
the coal black spearmen who appear in a fragment of a fresco,
which Evans called The Captain of the Blacks, belonging to
Late Minoan 145 II.18 The fresco depicts a Minoan captain,
wearing a yellow kilt and a horned cap of skin, who leads, at
the double, a file of black men similarly dressed."

-- The image of the Black in Western art: Volume 4, Part 1
Jean Vercoutter, Ladislas Bugner, Jean Devisse. 1976

"The Theran is a young man whose black wavy hair, rather
thick lips, and nose with reduced platyrrniny are clearly shown.
Although he acknowledges that these traits suggest a NEgrito
or Nubian, Marinatos avoids precise anthropological definition
and concludes that the characteristics seem to indicate an
"African".

"An interpretation of Negroes in Crete and Pylos as soldiers
would have some support in the example of Egypt, with its
long tradition of Nubian mercenaries. A striking example,
belonging somewhat earlier period that that of the Minoan
Captain of the Blacks fresco, is provided by the wooden
models of forty black archers in Cairo, found in a tomb of a
prince of Assiut." pg 138

L. Bertholon and E. Chantre have analyzed results of
black-white crossings in their detailed anthropological study of
ancient and modern Tripolitiana, Tunisia, and Algeria. They
call attention to the degrees of Negro admixture as evidenced
by the extent to which Negroid features appear in mixed North
African peoples. R. Bartoccini in his study of the somatic
characteristics of ancient Libyans, illustrates his observations on
racial crossings between Libyans and Negroes from the interior
by pointing to the Negroid nose (broad) and hair (curly or
wooly) .."

"Some of the physical features of this type are: dark or black
color expressed in a variety of ways, tightly curled platyrrhine
nose, and thick, often everted lips. '

"In a scene on a red-figured calyx-krater of the period from
Canicattoni, now in Syracuse, a female dancer, fully draped,
stands on tiptoe. The treatment of the nose, the lips and the
tightly curled hair indicates that Negroid features were
intended.. the realism and anthropological fidelity of those
cited above leave no doubt as to the artists' intent.." pg 171

-- The image of the Black in Western art: Volume 4, Part 1
Jean Vercoutter, Ladislas Bugner, Jean Devisse. 1976

"Memnon was a favorite subject of Greek vase painting
in the 500s and 400s B.C. Like other mythological figures
from Ethiopia, he was sometimes shown with distinctly
negroid facial features."

--David Sacks, Oswyn Murray, Margaret Bunson, 1995.
A Dictionary of the Ancient Greek Worl
-------------------------------

-

ADDITIONAL DATA: AFRICAN HAPLOGROUP E FOUND IN GREEKS

QUOTE:
"Underhill et al. (2001) showed that the frequency of the
YAP+ Y haplogroup commonly referred to as haplogroup E or
(III) is relatively high (about 25%) in the Middle East
and Mediterranean. This haplogroup E is the major haplogroup
found in sub-Saharan Africa (over 75% of all Y chromosomes).
Specifically, Europeans contain the E3b sub-haplogroup, which
was derived from haplogroup E in sub-Saharan Africa and
currently is distributed along the North and East of Africa..
It appears that the 171 AIM test subject of this chapter may
recognize the haplogroup E character as West African."

--T. Frudakis. 2008. Molecular photofitting: predicting ancestry
and phenotype using DNA

Origin of E1b1 (E3b) in Africa

"Using the principle of the phylogeographic parsimony, the
resolution of the E1b1b trifurcation in favor of a common ancestor
of E-M2 and E-M329 strongly supports the hypothesis that haplogroup
E1b1 originated in eastern Africa, as previously suggested [10], and
that chromosomes E-M2, so frequently observed in sub-Saharan Africa,
trace their descent to a common ancestor present in eastern Africa.
-- Trombetta et al. 2011. A New Topology of the Human Y Chromosome
Haplogroup E1b1. PLoS ONE 6(1)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As noted above, SOME studies do show a fair bit of
African influence in ancient Southern Europe, on multiple
lines of evidence, depending on the population studied
and line of evidence. African influences of course
would not be as major as European influences, but
they are still there.

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
I while ago you posted picture of a man, of which I now have come to find out that he is Algerian. However I can't tell if he is indigenous. But sources describe him as Berber descent. He goes by the name Hamid Cheriet.

-

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=008159 [/QB]

Is the majority of Algeria primarily African or non-African?
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

-

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=008159

Is the majority of Algeria primarily African or non-African? [/QB]
I don't know. I don't know that much about Algeria or Algerians. I do know that a Moroccan can recognize an Algerian (as a separate ethnicity). And I am speaking of people like Hamid Cheriet.

But as I said back then, I don't believe this man is indigenous to the region. I think he descents from immigrants.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

-

But as I said back then, I don't believe this man is indigenous to the region.

why not, there are berbers in Algeria?
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

-

But as I said back then, I don't believe this man is indigenous to the region.

why not, there are berbers in Algeria?
Yes, but that doesn't mean everybody is indigenous to the region. Nor does it mean that he is a Berber in origin.

There is something as integration as assimilation.

There is also a history of colonization in the region. And it's well recorded.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Why don't you believe this particular man is indigenous to the region?
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
^^^Well for one his physical features aren't, because its not a part of the native African diversity. Correct me if I am wrong.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
^^^Well for one his physical features aren't, because its not a part of the native African diversity.

you would have to explain why his physical features are not part of the native African diversity.

Maybe Troll Patrol can tell us

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Why don't you believe this particular man is indigenous to the region?

Because of his traits, and because of the historic account of invasions into the region.

Jari once described it wonderful: "Africoid traits".

By your reasoning there was no immigration, invasion, intrusion, assimilation etc...

It's all too easy reasoning.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
^^^Well for one his physical features aren't, because its not a part of the native African diversity. Correct me if I am wrong.

We have studies on Paleolithic to Mesolithic crania, and it shows to cluster with other African types. I have shown these papers over and over. And I am not going to post them again.

Here we have two men:

http://www.name-list.net/img/images.php/Fouzi_5.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Idir_Hamid_Cheriet.JPG

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
so in looking at the two men how would you describe the Non-African traits of Hamid Cheriet?
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
so in looking at the two men how would you describe the Non-Africa traits of Hamid Cheriet?

It's in reference to Jari's comment: "Africoid traits".

And in reference to studies on crania, as have explained in my pervious post. Act as if it is not there. lol

Act as if there was ever a invasion or colonization into to region.

The pictures of the two men show you the distinctive physical features.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
so in looking at the two men how would you describe the Non-Africa traits of Hamid Cheriet?

And in reference to studies on crania, as have explained in my pervious post. Act as if it is not there. lol

we don't have crania measurements Hamid Cheriet,
There was a photo posted of him and you said he doesn't look indigenous to Africa.
Simple question what are the particular Afracoid traits what are the non-Africoid traits?

Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

We have studies on Paleolithic to Mesolithic crania, and it shows to cluster with other African types. I have shown these papers over and over. And I am not going to post them again.

Here we have two men:

I meant his skin color and hair...

Also I already know Paleolithic Europeans were similar to Africans. I posted studies like that loads of times.

Again I meant his skin tone and hair.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

we don't have crania measurements Hamid Cheriet,
There was a photo posted of him and you said he doesn't look indigenous to Africa.
Simple question what are the particular Afracoid traits what are the non-Africoid traits?

That's true, we don't have that. But we do have facial physical features. And these aren't as the other man, who does have Africoid traits.

What we know about crania from the region is that from the Paleolithic onto to Mesolithic it clusters with other African populations located at the South, moving up North. Thus we can conclude...lol

Africoid traits are those traits that stem from the stereotype traits on which you fetch all the time.

The anthropological sources approach the traits of the Paleolithic to Mesolithic North African, as mixed.

Does Hamid Cheriet strike to you as a "mixed person" in facial traits?

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xyyman prefigured this report about two yrs and plus ago.
quote:
In the ancient sample of the Iberian Peninsula highlights the presence of 50% of sub-Saharan lines.

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/872/sub-saharan-dna-iberia-1000bc#ixzz2lVKZZJhc[/B]

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Here we have two men:

Also I already know Paleolithic Europeans were similar to Africans. I posted studies like that loads of times.

Again I meant his skin tone and hair.

Most of all it's in the crania and post-crania. The traits you named are cosmetic.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

-
Hamid Cheriet

I don't believe this man is indigenous to the region.

quote:

Well for one his physical features aren't, because its not a part of the native African diversity.

quote:

Most of all it's in the crania and post-crania. The traits you named are cosmetic.

If not skin or hair
what traits of Hamid Cheriet don't look African to you, his thin lips? The shape of his nose? Head shape?
Tell us which of his crania and post-crania traits you are referring to.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

-
Hamid Cheriet

I don't believe this man is indigenous to the region.

quote:

Well for one his physical features aren't, because its not a part of the native African diversity.

quote:

If not skin or hair
what traits of Hamid Cheriet don't look African to you, his thin lips? The shape of his nose? Head shape?
Tell us which of his crania and post-crania traits you are referring to.

It his overall shape in looks. As I said before, anthropological studies explain the Paleolithic to Mesolithic population of a mixed type of Africans people. By that the mean "a biracial type". As I have mentioned before, already. Crania metric they clustered with other African groups from the South who moved up North.

Hamid Cheriet doesn't look like a mixed type of African. As is described by anthropologists.

Taken in to account that the region of Algeria had a lot of invasions and migrations, it's becomes doubtable and a obscurity that he is actually truly indigenous to the region. This does not mean that he can't have ancestry from the region.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
I was able to retrieve an image posted here before on ES.

-

Here is the original source on the Subject: Women, Kabiye--Algeria; Ourilah.

Berber woman dressed in ethnic costume of Kabylie in the northeast of Algeria, ca. 1903

Repository: University of Washington Libraries. Special Collections Division

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/ic&CISOPTR=650

http://images-00.delcampe-static.net/img_large/auction/000/040/378/046_001.jpg?v=1

http://images-02.delcampe-static.net/img_large/auction/000/080/926/342_001.jpg?v=1

http://images-00.delcampe-static.net/img_large/auction/000/197/422/463_001.jpg?v=1

http://images-02.delcampe-static.net/img_large/auction/000/040/554/391_001.jpg?v=1

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] I was able to retrieve an image posted here before on ES.

-

all that work you did retrieving it, yet knowing I posted it 4 days ago in the Kabyle thread
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
[QB] I was able to retrieve an image posted here before on ES.

-

all that work you did retrieving it, yet knowing I posted it 4 days ago in the Kabyle thread
I said, I retrieved the original source of this image.

Reread the post, and click those links, thanks for your time.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -  -

compare this Kabyle woman to a Tuareg

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
 -  -

compare this Kabyle woman to a Tuareg

So?

And what about the Zawagha, Zanata, etc...

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Confusing to whom?

-

-

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Bump.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com