EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Origins of pharaonic stone carving: Nabta Playa (western desert) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Origins of pharaonic stone carving: Nabta Playa (western desert)
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
http://www.grahamhancock.com/forum/BauvalR6.php?p=11
 -
 -
The largest megalith at Nabta Playa, called “X-1” seen on the ground and from satellite. Now broken or cut, its ancient function remains mysterious.
 -
Thomas Brophy with aligned megalith AO, one of the few megaliths still standing in original position at Nabta Playa, 2003.

^^sorry about including the white people here but they are good for scale

Why are you apologizing about white people being in the pictures?? Do you think we have some sort of a "problem" with white people?!! LMAO [Big Grin]

Bitch, please stop with "we all hate whitey" act!!
Especially since YOU are white yourself and a tool of the Euronuts no less. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

Bitch, please

-
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

quote:
Originally posted by Trollkillah # Ish Gebor:

^ in addition,

To give a clearer picture on the Nabta Playa:

-

Yes, I've stated many times that there is a corresponding site of calendar stones in West Africa contemporaneous to Nabta Playa. It's called Adrar Madet in Niger and may very well have connections to the civilization of Dhar Tichitt-Walata.

I also wonder why it is Egyptologists and people in general seem to tie Nabta with Egypt more than Nubia, even though Nabta is essentially IN Nubia not to mention that its culture bears more affinities with pre-Qustul culture.

Yes
its Nabta -> taSeti -> taShemaw
thats what simple timespace tells me

-  -

-  -

Note Aniba & Toshka in relation to Nabta Playa just 100km to their west. Nabta Playa is definitely in "Lower Nubia" as in A-group Ta-Seti C-Group Wawat.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread with alot of good info.
Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

Yes
its Nabta -> taSeti -> taShemaw
thats what simple timespace tells me

I should point out that Nabta Playa is the name of the site of stone circles but the overall culture is called Nabta Kiseiba which stretches to the Nile Valley area.

There is no question that Nabta Kiseiba spawned Ta-Seti, but whether Ta-Seti spawned Ta-Shemau is still a matter of debate. It's true there is evidence to suggest Ta-Seti is older than Ta-Shemau but to say one gave rise to the other is something else completely. So far Egyptologists seem to be conceding that Ta-Shamau shares a common ancestry with Ta-Seti. But then there is oldest known depiction of a pharaoh in Nag el-Hamdulab.

quote:
 -
A more detailed map for comparison

-

^ Nabta Playa would be somewhere on the word 'Abu' of Abu Simbel in the map and of course Abu-Simbel is right across the Nile from Qustul.

quote:
 -  -

Note Aniba & Toshka in relation to Nabta Playa just 100km to their west. Nabta Playa is definitely in "Lower Nubia" as in A-group Ta-Seti C-Group Wawat.

And let's not forget about Sayalah which is just south of Dakka.

Toshka is the site of the earliest known 'elite' burial in the Nile Valley. Sayalah is the site of the earliest known pictographs that are ancestral to proto-hieroglyphs. While Nabta Playa is the site of the earliest monuments. All three sites are in the same vicinity so there should be no surprise that all are culturally the same with Ta-Seti being the end result.

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dj:

There is no question that Nabta Kiseiba spawned Ta-Seti, but whether Ta-Seti spawned Ta-Shemau is still a matter of debate. It's true there is evidence to suggest Ta-Seti is older than Ta-Shemau but to say one gave rise to the other is something else completely. So far Egyptologists seem to be conceding that Ta-Shamau shares a common ancestry with Ta-Seti. But then there is oldest known depiction of a pharaoh in Nag el-Hamdulab.

The evidence of physical anthropology
and culture of TaShemaw and TaSeti
is enough to show who's more indebted
to whom.

From what I can gather some of TaSeti's
elites seemingly were the governors of
pre-dynastic Naqada who's upper echelon
per Prowse and Lovell (1996)

• ... is more closely related to populations in northern Nubia than to neighboring populations in southern Egypt.

Apparently there was a schism of TaSeti
and Naqada nobility making for TaShemaw
independence and ascendency. For one,
widescale adoption of writing marks
TaShemaw's departure from TaSeti.

But it was TaSeti which became known
as the rebel state, i.e., Wawat. TaSeti
lost all the territory that was hers clear
up to Nag el Hasaya, just south of Edfu,
in what would become the 2nd nome of
Upper Egypt (Heru's Throne) immediately
north of the 1st nome TaSeti.nwt in
distinction to the state TaSeti.khast
officially extending from Aswan, or the
1st cataract, southward to the Batn Hagar.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earliest Human Remains found in Egypt during the Holocene (10000 BCE-525 BCE): Nabta Playa

- - From A Brief History of Egypt by Jr. Goldschmidt Arthur (2007)

In textual form:
The earliest human remains in Egypt have been found in a desert region called Nabta Playa (west of Abu Simbel). Ten thousand years ago this area was covered with trees and grass. It supported such game animals as elephant, rhinoceros, giraffe, ibex, deer, antelope, wild ass, and ostrich. Nabta contains tombs not only for humans but also for wild cattle, foreshadowing the cow cult that would prevail in ancient egypt.
- From A Brief History of Egypt by Jr. Goldschmidt Arthur (2007)

How wild or domesticated the cattle were is still a matter of debate among archaeologists.

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
quote:
Originally posted by Dj:

The evidence of physical anthropology
and culture of TaShemaw and TaSeti
is enough to show who's more indebted
to whom.

From what I can gather some of TaSeti's
elites seemingly were the governors of
pre-dynastic Naqada who's upper echelon
per Prowse and Lovell (1996)

• ... is more closely related to populations in northern Nubia than to neighboring populations in southern Egypt.

Apparently there was a schism of TaSeti
and Naqada nobility making for TaShemaw
independence and ascendency. For one,
widescale adoption of writing marks
TaShemaw's departure from TaSeti.

But it was TaSeti which became known
as the rebel state, i.e., Wawat. TaSeti
lost all the territory that was hers clear
up to Nag el Hasaya, just south of Edfu,
in what would become the 2nd nome of
Upper Egypt (Heru's Throne) immediately
north of the 1st nome TaSeti.nwt in
distinction to the state TaSeti.khast
officially extending from Aswan, or the
1st cataract, southward to the Batn Hagar.

Although this is slightly off the actual topic of Nabta, I will say that A-Group definitely had a hand to play in the development of Ta-Shemau. Again, A-Group culture has been identified as far north as the 1st sepat (Aswan-Elephantine area) which ironically enough is called Ta-Seti. Not only that, but there is apparently archaeological evidence of A-Group people conducting trade with Shemau people specifically at Nekhen. And there is even evidence of elite A-Group individuals being interred in Nekhen cemeteries. I have sources on this which I prefer to discuss in another thread of its own.

What I notice is that in some of these sources the authors question whether these individuals including those of the 1st Sepat were true A-group people or Egyptians who have been more or less assimilated into A-group. The latter theory seems to be a cop-out to try to diminish A-group presence in the Egyptian area. Either way it's difficult to say since physically Shemau Egyptians, especially those of Nekhen are almost indistinguishable physically whereas those of the 1st sepat are virtually identical.

In regards to your theory as to the aftermath of the conflict between Ta-Seti and Ta-Shemau. I personally believe that once Ta-Shemau vanquished Ta-Seti, they initiated a policy of forced assimilation. I think the claims of Egyptians capturing thousands of Setiu is no exaggeration but rather a policy of forced displacement whereby they imported the captive populace which was forced to settle in the Aswan/Elephantine area. This partly explains the depopulation of Ta-Seti proper.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Actually the 2nd sepat Heru's Throne was as far
north as TaSeti once held hegemony. Also trade
evidence shows possible direct relations with the
Levant although somewhat recently a few of the
Levantine items earlier found only in Lower Nubia
have shown up in Egypt.

Like your idea about Lower Nubia depopulation.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ As far as trade, I have a source that explains the trade process per grave items discovered. And it's true there appears to be somewhat of a discrepancy or rather bias in trade since many Levantine items are found in Lower Nubia yet little or no Upper-Egyptian items and vice-versa Levantine grave goods having Nubian items but little or no Upper Egyptian goods.

You are correct about the 2nd sepat, Behedet. As I said, the A-group influence stretches as far north as at least the 3rd sepat, Ten whose capital is Nekhen. In fact Neken is where we find Naqada elites showing A-group affinities physically while among their cemeteries are individuals interred in Nubian-style custom.

Note, allegedly the initiative for Shemau was said to come from the 8th sepat, Abet whose capital Abutu was home of the Thinite coalition.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be that there is a relationship between the Nabta Playa erected stone and the Obelisk?

-  -

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This recent article mentions Nabta Playa:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jane-dummer/sorghum-ancient-grain_b_6888394.html

quote:
Unless you have lived in the mid to southern USA or follow a gluten-free diet, you may not be familiar with sorghum's versatility. With the trend to eat healthier and the need for more nutritious gluten-free options, this "new" ancient grain looks set to take centre stage on the culinary scene. And by ancient, I mean a grain whose first recorded remains, dating back to 8000 BCE, were found in the Nabta Playa archaeological site in southern Egypt! It's thought that it arrived to the Americas in the 1700s. Today, having travelled the globe, sorghum is the fifth most consumed food worldwide behind rice, wheat, maize, and potatoes.

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump - good info
Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com