EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » How influential were the Ankh and Eye of Ra?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How influential were the Ankh and Eye of Ra?
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there were some threads made on this, but those threads were from as far as 2004 and are deleted as I looked through them.

Anyways these two Egyptian symbols appear literally everywhere. Even in modern times today, which hints how influential they were.
 -

-

The Eye of Horus was basically used for protection, even on Egyptian ships. And the Ankh meant life and immortality.

Though how influential were they in the average Egyptian persons daily life? Even though America is kinda getting less religious, the crucifix is still viewed as something sacred and holy. Even appearing in many medias and even films. And people(who are not even that religious) get tattoos of the cross.

So again how influential were these two symbols on the everyday Egyptian? Was it like modern America and crucifix. Appearing any form of lifestyle the Egyptians had. Or were they limited to the elite such as the pharaohs?

Also did neighboring Nile Valley/Northeast African civilizations have similar concepts of the Ankh and Eye of Horus, especially the Ankh. Because if I remember correctly the Ankh comes from cattle culture in which the sperm represented life. And as we know cattle culture is still crucial in Eastern Africa.

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DD'eDeN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not what you're looking for but:

I think ankh was symbol of ancient fire-drill, not sandal strap nor ox vertebra.

ankh matches many red-hot words (anger/amber, apa(Mbuti:fire), rancor, danger, panic etc.)

"Key of Nile" = hino.ki(Japanese:cedar)/smo.key
"Birth/Breath/fertile/hearth of life" = re.s.pyre/afyre=apa.higher

Th Mbuti have no fire starter tradition, the Batwa and Baka do but I don't know their terms.

However, the Mbuti term for a mother's dome hut is mongolu, from mbuangualu, which contains Mbu.angu, which means "mother's angu.ish" or "home fire" kept at the doorway (shared centrally between huts).

Angu = Ankh.

If you tip the ankh over, the inner circle is a taper/teardrop/torch (panas(Hebrew)~apa.nas, while in Malay fire is api and hot/heat is panas.
- -

As far as how influential was Ankh, I can't think of anything more universally influential than a mother's anguish.

Posts: 2021 | From: Miami | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SMH. The /anx/ has nothing to do with any of that which you both speak of. The inspiration behind the design comes from the human and bovine body. It is simply a stylized thorasic complex. This I discussed in my 2013 book _Aaluja: Rescue, Reinterpretation, and the Restoration of Ancient Egyptian Themes, Vol.I_. Furthermore, the <a> in /anx/ is not an [a] sound, but a [k] or [h]. In Bantu the word is /kanga/ or /kongo/ and its variants.
Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't be any help either here.

I believe the ankh is a depiction of the water source used to build the great pyramids. The crossbar is the horizon or the ground of the uplands where the water shot out of the ground. The circle at the top represents this spraying water as well as its source; the sun. It was a solar element, CO2 that powered the violent inundation. The center lines represent the djed which contolled the water and the lower vertical part represented the water under the ground. As above, so below. In the desert water is life itself so the symbol represents life.

The "eye of horus" was this exact same thing from the perspective of "nun" who was the "natural phenomenon of water under the ground. Nun saw zep tepi, the first eruption, though the eye of the "natural phenomena of the land of rainbows" who was horus.

The reason that the original question can't be answered is that the older culture is wholly unknown because no comprehensible writing of any sort survives from that era. All anyone can do is answer the question from the perspective of later Egyptians and modern people.

--------------------
Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DD'eDeN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asar Imhotep: "SMH. The /anx/ has nothing to do with any of that which you both speak of. The inspiration behind the design comes from the human and bovine body. It is simply a stylized thorasic complex. This I discussed in my 2013 book _Aaluja: Rescue, Reinterpretation, and the Restoration of Ancient Egyptian Themes, Vol.I_. Furthermore, the <a> in /anx/ is not an [a] sound, but a [k] or [h]. In Bantu the word is /kanga/ or /kongo/ and its variants."

SMH? What does that mean?
The bovid represents the mother - Mother/Bovine= MBO part of Jambo symbolized by Hathor and the Ankh/anx, and the teardrop.

I'd expect 'anx was from KhweXhwe/kosher/hsiahsia(Chinese:thank)

--------------------
xyambuatlaya

Posts: 2021 | From: Miami | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
sam p. "I believe the ankh is a depiction of the water source used to build the great pyramids."

I think the pyramids are sourced at Lake Baikal ice block cutting by sealers 9ka, (cf Oannes/Janus), but no thermal geysers that I know of.

--------------------
xyambuatlaya

sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DD'eDeN:

I think the pyramids are sourced at Lake Baikal ice block cutting by sealers 9ka, (cf Oannes/Janus), but no thermal geysers that I know of.

I'm not certain of your point.

I believe the water was spraying because of high CO2 content. As such they were cold water geysers. The Pyramid Texts refers to cool effervescent water and an inundation on the uplands. They studied these phenomena in exquisite detail and especially the effervescence. They called the bubbles in the water "imperishable stars" which were composed of "I3.t-wt.t" which meant "risings begetter" and was CO2. These bubbles were "the efflux of the gods" that were a topic of learned discussion by day but at night when the wind slowed they were feared as they built up in low lying areas. They said if you find yourself walking in such an area you should tiptoe and hurry out.

It's all in the cultural context. Later people simply didn't understand the meaning. They misunderstood it in exactly the same way we misunderstand it.

Of course this isn't the sort of answer BlessedHorus is looking for but, I believe it is reasonably accurate. I believe it could be proven any day that the anomaly on the NE side of G1 is explored because the answer is right there. It's been over a month and people aren't demanding answers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pyramid+anomaly&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&gws_rd=ssl#q=pyramid+anomaly&tbm=nws

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
I apologize for the typo in the last post and it's too late to edit.

The thread originator is BlessedbyHorus.

--------------------
Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only reason why Egyptian symbols such as the ankh and the wadjet seem ubiquitous in today's society is all thanks to the 'Egyptomania' of the 19th century which Euro-colonial powers like the British and French (who were the top archaeologists of the time) promulgated up until today.

Nobody knows exactly how the symbol of the ankh came about. A popular theory is that it represents the union of female and male characters with the loop symbolizing the feminine and the cross the masculine. But again no one knows for sure. The only thing certain is that it was the symbol of the power of life itself. Through Egyptian influence, the symbol traveled farther south into Sudan, north into the Levant, and west into Libya. Through the popular cult of Isis it spread throughout the Roman Empire where it became associated with the Christian cross during the rise of Christianity. This is why the ankh more so than any other Egyptian symbol is well known in the 'West'. Conspicuously, the ankh survives in modern Africa in Ethiopia as part of the Coptic iconography there. Whether the ankh was introduced to Ethiopia via Christianity or before remains to be seen. Interestingly, the ankh is ritually held by priests who grip the loop the same way Egyptians traditionally held them and they held them out in a gesture of offering Christ and thus everlasting life.

Ethiopian brass tau (ankh)
 -

Ethiopian silver tau
 -

Berbers of the Sahara, particularly the Tuareg use often carry silver talismans called agadez commonly called the "Tuareg cross". Whether this is derived from the ankh either from Roman North Africa or some earlier trade with Egypt or it is and indigenous Berber icon that happens to share a commonality with Egypt also remains to be seen.

Agadez cross
 -

Tuareg woman wearing agadez cross
 -

The 'eye of Horus' or 'eye of Ra' is commonly known to the Egyptians as the wadjet meaning 'green one' in reference to the cobra goddess who served as 'the eye' of Ra and later Heru. The symbol itself is essentially an apotropaic eye. An apotropaic eye was the opposite of the 'evil eye' concept found in the ancient world and still exists today as a continued superstition in Africa, the Middle East, southern and eastern Europe, and India. The belief is that witches, sorcerers, and other certain individuals with spiritual powers could curse or cause affliction with only a glance. Thus, an apotropaic eye is one that did the opposite, that is protect or ward away malignancy, with the Greek word apotropaios meaning prophylactic. These sacred or protective eye symbols were either worn as amulets or used as decoration on pottery, wagons, ships, and other vessels etc. In ancient Mesopotamia and the Levant, round gems or jewels often with concentric outer rings were used as apotropaic eyes. In later times these were combined with the sacred hand goddess symbols resulting in the khamsa hand with the eye in the palm. The Greeks had their own apotropaoi and so did the Anatolians whose descendants in Turkey call nazar.

Greek vase with apotropaic eyes
 -

Turkish nazar amulet
 -

The Egyptian wadjet on the other hand is very unique as it consists of particular features.

-

Some of these features come from the falcon totem of Heru..

-

..hence the stripe below the eye. But then you have that line that curls off. Some speculate that it is the tail of the cobra goddess herself it represents her entering the eye and empowering it.

I have even heard the theory that the eye shape with the straight line coming out the lateral corner was inspired by a mace and the eyebrow a throwing stick or even curved blade.

Regardless, the wadjet symbol did not gain as much popularity as the ankh outside of the Nile Valley. I know of evidence of it in the Levant and in Sudan but very few compared to the ankh which again became incorporated in Christianity as a cross whereas the wadjet is a blatant pagan symbol.

By the way, here is a good source on the Egyptian wadjet symbol: The Apotropaic Goddess in the Eye

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the good responses you guys! Still reading through them.

@Djehuti

Indeed Egyptomania is the main reason why we see Ancient Egypt so much in the media and why Eurocentrics have such an obsession with Ancient Egypt. Still reading your post.

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
quote:

Indeed Egyptomania is the main reason why we see Ancient Egypt so much in the media and why Eurocentrics have such an obsession with Ancient Egypt. Still reading your post. [/QB]

We might do well to remember in what low regard the indigenous people were held by the British. This certainly would have affected the European view of the ancient people. It was, and still is to a large degree taken, as axiomatic that progress goes only forward. If 19th century Egyptians were so incapable then it would have followed to those of the time that the ancient Egyptians were less able.

Obviously much of this bigotry has evaporated in recent decades but the low opinion and this perspective of the ancients has not changed. We still today see the ancients as being highly superstitious despite our lack of understanding of their writing and beliefs. The egyptomania has subsided but the way the ancients are understood has not changed at all.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Yes, but if you recall the 'remedy' that 19th century Europeans used was the 'Dynastic Race Theory' whereby Egyptian civilization was wholly the product of a "superior Caucasian race" who civilized the African indigenes and upon them being overwhelmed by the latter, their civilization deteriorated and fell into disrepair as the indigenes asserted their culture again. Such was the reasoning of the Euro-colonial authorities and tourists who were skeptical that the "dark natives" which lived in the vicinity of the ancient ruins were descendants of those who planned those very ruins.
Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
@Djehuti

Finished your post and very EXCELLENT post... Never knew Ethiopians and others had their own version of the Ankh. But I thought it was a myth that the Christian Cross was inspired by the Ankh. Just curious...

As for your recent post, Eurocentrics online still use the Dynasty Race theory, but they at least agree that it was Upper Egypt that first emerged... They still hold onto that Lower Egypt was vastly different.

@Sam P

I think the bigotry has SOMEWHAT died down in academia, especially anthropology where people are actually suited to discuss the origins of the Ancient Egyptians, though Egyptology does need a little some work.

BUT....The mainstream media is still fully effected by Egyptomania and it doesn't even seem close to dying down.

I think the reason why people(laymen) view Egypt as so "superstitious" is that they DO NOT view Egypt in its African context which would put everything into place. Heck most Ancient Egyptian names sound African!

sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Yes, but if you recall the 'remedy' that 19th century Europeans used was the 'Dynastic Race Theory' whereby Egyptian civilization was wholly the product of a "superior Caucasian race" who civilized the African indigenes and upon them being overwhelmed by the latter, their civilization deteriorated and fell into disrepair as the indigenes asserted their culture again. Such was the reasoning of the Euro-colonial authorities and tourists who were skeptical that the "dark natives" which lived in the vicinity of the ancient ruins were descendants of those who planned those very ruins.

Good point. It does invalidate my point.

I guess it does make it surprising though, that they viewed the ancients as being so superstitious and obsessed with death.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlessedbyHorus:

@Djehuti

Finished your post and very EXCELLENT post... Never knew Ethiopians and others had their own version of the Ankh. But I thought it was a myth that the Christian Cross was inspired by the Ankh. Just curious...

Well the Ethiopian version is exactly like that of Egypt which suggests to me direct Egyptian influence. Again, if this influence entered Ethiopia with Christianity or before that is not yet known. The Tuareg cross though is very different which is why I think its origins lie among the Berber more so than with Egypt.

And yes, the actual Christian cross has nothing to do with the ankh but actually developed from native Levantine icon that symbolized the Semitic letter taw or 't' which was also the first letter of the Semitic/Hebrew word tov meaning 'good'. The tov icon was used as an amulet for good fortune though was not as popular as the 'blessing hand' or hamsa until Christians coopted the symbol as the crucifix of their lord. Even outside of the Middle East there were many pagan peoples who wore sun-cross amulets, that is a simple cross or 'x' with a circle around it. As Christianity spread, this pagan symbol became converted to the crucifix the same way the ankh was. That the cross symbol has a pre-Christian pagan origin is also the reason why some Christian sects or groups have disassociated themselves from it.

Here is a Muslim website explaining the pagan origins of the cross: http://www.answering-christianity.com/abdullah_smith/cross_pagan_origins.htm

Other than the Muslim bias, a lot of the info is accurate about pagan origins of the cross. The webpage even has this illustration from Sir John Wilkinson of an Egyptian tomb scene showing two Asiatics and a Libyan.

-

As for the wadjet, I don't know if you read this source The Apotropaic Goddess in the Eye. It goes into a lot of detail, but basically the goddess Wadjet was one of a number of cobra goddesses who have the title 'waret' meaning 'she who rears up'. Since Wadjet was the most prominent of these deities, she became identified as Ra's eye. Egyptian texts describe the eye of Ra as a spitting cobra who spits fiery venom that blinded the enemy, thus it seems fitting to have a powerful apotropaic eye that no only warded away the evil eye but struck back it and blinded it.

quote:
As for your recent post, Eurocentrics online still use the Dynasty Race theory, but they at least agree that it was Upper Egypt that first emerged... They still hold onto that Lower Egypt was vastly different.
I don't see how since Lower Egyptians weren't that much different from Upper Egyptians and were closer related to them than to Levantine folk. But then again it wouldn't matter since according to Eurocentrics even sub-Saharan East Africans and now other Africans as far south as Khoisan are "Eurasian mixed".

quote:
@Sam P

I think the bigotry has SOMEWHAT died down in academia, especially anthropology where people are actually suited to discuss the origins of the Ancient Egyptians, though Egyptology does need a little some work.

BUT....The mainstream media is still fully effected by Egyptomania and it doesn't even seem close to dying down.

I think the reason why people(laymen) view Egypt as so "superstitious" is that they DO NOT view Egypt in its African context which would put everything into place. Heck most Ancient Egyptian names sound African!

I think what Sam P was saying is that 19th century Egyptologists and other Europeans considered the actual Egyptian natives to be superstitious and even "backwards" and in that sense were very much in common with other Africans. In their minds the Egyptian natives they've seen and encountered must have been an entirely different 'race' from the pharaohs.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sam p:

Good point. It does invalidate my point.

I guess it does make it surprising though, that they viewed the ancients as being so superstitious and obsessed with death.

'Superstition' is a belief held due to ignorance. Yes, while the Egyptians had science and scientific inquiry they still maintained superstitious beliefs with a lot of things they didn't understand. In this way the peoples of ancient times were in many ways no more superstitious than peoples today especially in regards to spiritual matters. Speaking of which, that the Egyptians were obsessed with 'death' is actually a misconception. What they were truly obsessed with was *life* hence all the funerary rituals and spells and preparations for death were meant to ensure a next life. This is no different from religious peoples today.
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
quote:
I think what Sam P was saying is that 19th century Egyptologists and other Europeans considered the actual Egyptian natives to be superstitious and even "backwards" and in that sense were very much in common with other Africans. In their minds the Egyptian natives they've seen and encountered must have been an entirely different 'race' from the pharaohs.

Usually the people and the pharaohs were considered to be a single race and these people were considered backward and superstitious. They translate the language as being strictly about numerous gods and all sorts of magic. I don't agree with any of this but this is the same way 19th century Egyptologists saw them despite the fact many believed in a "superior Caucasian race" as you suggested. Egypt was probably something of a melting pot that incorporated various peoples but it's unlikely there was much differentiation between races. It was probably a pretty much single culture that was composed chiefly of people from the west and some from the south with a smattering of everything else. My original contention can't really be right and is at best overly simplistic. 19th century scientists had a low opinion of the ancients but it apparently had nothing to do with race. This "low opinion" persists to this day but it is a low opinion of all primitive people. Ancients are simply believed to have been highly superstitious and this superstition was the result of ignorance, lack of science, and primitiveness.

It's easy for me to lose my focus since I see this very differently. I believe we simply misunderstand all ancient people. I believe we misunderstand their science as religion and their metaphysics as magic.

I do appreciate being corrected on this score since I have used this argument before and it's not appropriate. 19th century scientists would not have equated modern day Egyptians of that time with the ancients.

I think to understand the "eye of horus" it might be necessary to understand the nature of horus. In the PT there were two horus'; Horus the elder and horus the younger. Horus the elder was a falcon god who was chief of the "Land of Horus" and horus the younger appears to have all the attributes of quarried stone, at least as I read it. Isis says of horus the younger; "I have given birth to him for thee; I have deposited him for thee; I have certainly spit him out for thee. He has no feet; he has no arms,".

This would certainly suggest that the "eye of horus" must be the eye of horus the elder. I believe modern people misunderstand the ancient writing in the exact same way that later Egyptians misunderstood it.

sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
quote:
Yes, while the Egyptians had science and scientific inquiry they still maintained superstitious beliefs with a lot of things they didn't understand.

Perhaps.

I'm of the opinion we wholly misunderstand their science and there was no superstition. If you think about it there was no known science, no known language of science, and no evidence of scientific experimentation. I believe they had a distinctly different science that was based on observation and logic rather than ours which is observation and experiment. Their science worked because they had a language which was based on the same natural logic on which mathematics is based today. It is this language, which is untranslatable, in which the Pyramid Texts is written.

I strongly agree that their obsession was with life rather than death.

DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
I note that the Ethiopian silver and brass tau's / ankh's resemble "sand/snow angels" and could be linked to Yemoja/jOannes

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=010859;p=1#000000

and that agadez ~ angel ~ arc d'anciel(French: rainbow) ~ ankh ~ ancient ~ anc.hor(rooted) ~ horim(Hebrew: ancestral).

---

Again from Asar Imhotep: "SMH. The /anx/ has nothing to do with any of that which you both speak of. The inspiration behind the design comes from the human and bovine body. It is simply a stylized thorasic complex. This I discussed in my 2013 book _Aaluja: Rescue, Reinterpretation, and the Restoration of Ancient Egyptian Themes, Vol.I_. Furthermore, the <a> in /anx/ is not an [a] sound, but a [k] or [h]. In Bantu the word is /kanga/ or /kongo/ and its variants. "

I think it was the initial sound in Aaaaahh.
---

ansate: having a handle or handlelike part

Crux ansat(e/a)

ansate
Classical Latin ansatus ; from ansa, a handle ; from Indo-European an unverified form ans?, noose from source German öse, eyelet

tabula ansata or tabella ansata (Latin for tablet with dovetail handles. It was a favorite form for votive tablets in Imperial Rome.

---

Asar Imhotep, I am unable to download your texts (Reinterpretations..., Per Ankh..... the Miami-Dade library blocks the sites.

"Access to asarimhotep.com is blocked according to the organization security policy."

This is all I can get:

[PDF]
REINTERPRETATIONS OF THE ANKH SYMBOL PART 2

www.asarimhotep.com/documentdownloads/ReinterpretationsOfTheAnkh...

The Anatomical Inspiration for the Ankh ... (the thorax) and it is converted into to the kind of energy that the body can utilize which helps to
---

PER ANKH AND THE KONGO - Asar Imhotep

asarimhotep.com/.../18...egyptian-art-through-a-kongo-cultural-lens

PER ANKH AND THE KONGO ... The word for “thorax” in Egyptian is /Sna/ “thorax, breast.” In ciLuba we have /-senga/ “to cross, join together, gather, ...

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say those particular emblems are so well-known because they're relatively easy to draw. Their designs are simple which lends itself well to copying over and over again. Whether the Egyptians themselves would have seen those symbols as representative of their culture, as in something they'd put on their national flag, I don't think anyone knows for sure. But people in this day and age like to have certain familiar symbols represent cultures, nationalities, or religions, and for all we know the ancients must have thought the same.
Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
@DJ

Good post.

@Nodnarb

True that they are very simple to draw, but I'm actually thinking of getting an Ankh and Eye of Horus tattoo. [Wink]

DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
Well its frustrating since I can't see what Asar's image/description entails.

I do think the Ankh symbol/name related to making fire in some way, and links to the above terms (anguish/danger/rancor...).

ans(PIE) handle
sna(AE) thorax

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlessedbyHorus

True that they are very simple to draw, but I'm actually thinking of getting an Ankh and Eye of Horus tattoo. [Wink]

I wonder, would this count as cultural appropriation if you're not predominantly of indigenous Egyptian descent?

On the one hand, the generations of Egyptians who would have held those symbols in special significance have all been dead for ages, so they can't really start a big callout storm over it. And personally I don't subscribe to the belief that cultural symbols must always be "copyrighted" to the extent that people outside a culture can't use them even for harmless purposes. On the other hand, if you do believe cultural appropriation is worth getting upset about, what would you make of Afro-Diasporans using symbols from a long-dead Northeast African civilization? Wouldn't it be like, say, Germans utilizing Greek symbols, or Malays playing with Chinese icons?

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Nodnarb:
quote:

I wonder, would this count as cultural appropriation if you're not predominantly of indigenous Egyptian descent?

On the one hand, the generations of Egyptians who would have held those symbols in special significance have all been dead for ages, so they can't really start a big callout storm over it. And personally I don't subscribe to the belief that cultural symbols must always be "copyrighted" to the extent that people outside a culture can't use them even for harmless purposes. On the other hand, if you do believe cultural appropriation is worth getting upset about, what would you make of Afro-Diasporans using symbols from a long-dead Northeast African civilization? Wouldn't it be like, say, Germans utilizing Greek symbols, or Malays playing with Chinese icons?

Who cares if it does? I already have one tattoo in Chinese characters and I am not even Chinese. Heck one of my friends who is white has Japanese tattoos. Hell many western people are fans of Japanese style tattoos and get them. Heck many black American rappers get Mexican styled "chicano" tattoos like 50 Cent did.

Tattoos are just tattoos; appreciating art. Cultural appropriation is only wrong if people do not at least acknowledge and respect where the cultural phenomenon comes from and not say they invented.

Hell I hear Indians from India are proud that many people around the world especially westerners are practicing Yoga and it spread everywhere.

Again cultural appropriation is only bad if people do not respect/acknowledge where the cultural phenomenon comes from.

Also the Ankh means life and Eye of Horus means protection from what I read, those two can be relateable to anyone.

It would be a problem if I claimed, "Oh I'm getting these tattoos, because I'm 'repping' my ancestors."

BrandonP
Member # 3735

^ Fair enough. Obviously Afro-Diasporans aren't the only modern people to "borrow" Egyptian iconography anyway.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
^ Fair enough. Obviously Afro-Diasporans aren't the only modern people to "borrow" Egyptian iconography anyway.

Obviously we weren't, nor were we the first. Egyptomania anyone?

-

Heck the American dollar bill.
 -

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

I would say those particular emblems are so well-known because they're relatively easy to draw. Their designs are simple which lends itself well to copying over and over again. Whether the Egyptians themselves would have seen those symbols as representative of their culture, as in something they'd put on their national flag, I don't think anyone knows for sure. But people in this day and age like to have certain familiar symbols represent cultures, nationalities, or religions, and for all we know the ancients must have thought the same.

You have a point. Since prehistoric times, peoples all around the world have adopted easy to draw geometric symbols as special emblems. These symbols originally held spiritual significance such as the Egyptian ankh.

quote:

@DJ

Good post.

@Nodnarb

Oh another thing I forgot to mention about the wadjet and this goes to Sam as well. Apparently the wadjet symbol held mathematical significance as well.

The right side of the eye = 1⁄2
The pupil = 1⁄4
The eyebrow = 1⁄8
The left side of the eye = 1⁄16
The curved tail = 1⁄32
The teardrop = 1⁄64

-

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

quote:

I think the whole "cultural appropriation" label is somewhat played out. Yes there are times when the label fits and other times it doesn't. As for modern Egyptians using those symbols whether they have actual ancient/pharaonic ancestry or not, many modern Egyptians consider such symbols to be pagan imagery especially by Muslims who consider them to be jahiliyah. Ironic that non-Egyptian Westerners have been promulgating those symbols for centuries now.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

quote:

-

-

The I seriously doubt the CBS eye symbol has anything to do with the wadjet which is very different.

The dollar bill is a different story, the pyramid and all seeing eye actually come from the Illuminati and Freemansonry which in turn does come from Egypt. Actually, the pyramid used in the dollar bill is NOT an Egyptian pyramid but a Nubian pyramid. The all seeing eye may have a different origin from the wadjet, but I don't know.

DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
re. ankh

Shalako(Zuni) rain/storm spirit
Shango(Yoruba) storm spirit
Xyambuatl(PaleoKey) Sky th.under po.under & lightning grounder
Tlalloc(Maya) storm god? ~ Rharug(Austl)
Xaqaloa(Aztec)shake-shack

Ankh(Egpt) k(o/a)ng(o/a)(Bantu:thorax)
anguish-fi.r.e.d up mother's angst/home fire)
Shank - xyan.k = blue sky steppe/step/trek

shank [SHaNGk] person's leg, especially the part from the knee to the ankle; the lower part of an animal's foreleg; the shaft or stem of a tool; long narrow part of a tool connecting the handle to the operational end; the cylindrical part of a bit by which it is held in a drill; the long stem of a key, spoon, anchor, fishhook [DD: thus angling].

---

Yes, as I'd thought, fire drill/smokey tendril equipment, long stick/leg/tleco(Aztec). Thorax linked by breath/breast/of air/phayre/life of ember/embirth.

DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
per CT @ HOM: http://www.hallofmaat.com/read.php?6,602521,602521#msg-602521

"In the PTs translated by J.P. Allen, Mafdet was at the fore of, or in the midst of the ‘Enclosure of Life’ (Hwt anx) written with the anx sign (S34) inside the ‘plan of enclosure’ sign (O6) followed by X1 (t) and O1 det. for ‘building,’ ‘place’

According to Allen, the royal domestic quarters in the palace are the Hwt anx (Allen 2005: 429) - Hwt anx in Egyptian Dictionary 1, Hannig 2003: 783, also agrees with this interpretation that is probably based on Alan H. Gardiner’s research (The ‘Mansion of Life and the Master of the King’s Largess,’ Alan H. Gardiner, JEA Vol. 24, No. 1, 1938), where he explains why he believes there is a difference between ‘The Enclosure / Mansion of Life’ and ‘The House of Life’.

‘House of Life’ (pr anx) is written: O1 ‘schematic house plan’ (pr) S34 (anx) O1 ‘schematic house plan,’ det. for ‘building,’ ‘place.’

According to Egyptian Dictionary 1, Hannig 2003: 451, ‘House of Life’ (pr anx) was a house of scribes. See 'The House of Life,' A.H. Gardiner, in JEA 24, No. 2, 1938 for the many references to 'House of Life' in AE texts. "

--------------------
xyambuatlaya

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

-

The I seriously doubt the CBS eye symbol has anything to do with the wadjet which is very different.

The dollar bill is a different story, the pyramid and all seeing eye actually come from the Illuminati and Freemansonry which in turn does come from Egypt. Actually, the pyramid used in the dollar bill is NOT an Egyptian pyramid but a Nubian pyramid. The all seeing eye may have a different origin from the wadjet, but I don't know.

Very well,

-

quote:

In all, about 220 pyramids were built in Meroe, spread across three sites. They remained relatively intact until the 1830s, when Italian treasure hunter Giuseppe Ferlini smashed the tops off 40 pyramids while searching for gold and jewels. In recent years, a few pyramids have been reconstructed to give travelers a sense of what they used to look like.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/08/29/the_nubian_meroe_pyramids_in_sudan.html
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com