EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Why Europeans are almost 1/3 African

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Europeans are almost 1/3 African
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New article by yours truly...

Why Europeans are Almost 1/3 Africa

quote:
It should be common knowledge by now that human beings in their modern form, Homo sapiens, first evolved in Africa. Exactly when we emerged on the scene remains uncertain (recent fossil discoveries suggest it may have happened over 300,000 years ago, a hundred millennia earlier than we originally thought), but whenever it was, most of our species’s history of existence would have played out on the so-called “Dark Continent”. It would have been no earlier than 70,000 years ago — and possibly as soon as 55,000 years ago — when the ancestors of all people outside of Africa would wander out of the continent and colonize the rest of the habitable world.

This would not have been the first dispersal of hominin apes out of Africa, mind you. Much in the press has been made of the fact that between 1–7% of modern human ancestry outside our ancestral continent comes from the descendants of earlier emigrants such as the Neanderthals and Denisovans. What may not be so widely publicized, however, is that the famous “Out of Africa” migration between 70–55,000 years ago would not have been the last movement of Homo sapiens from Africa into Eurasia and beyond, either. There is in fact a plethora of compelling evidence that humans from Africa continued to venture out and leave a permanent genetic mark on the ancestry of their Eurasian kin— even the “white” peoples of Europe.

I don’t mean a light dash, either. Almost one third of European ancestry descends from African admixture within the last 55,000 years.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7073 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 42925 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 42925 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Informative article for lay people. But why not use scientific images only, in a scientific article?
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good article like I said before. But I agree with Swenet. If you want your articles to be taken MORE serious then I suggest using more scientific images.

But like I said good ass article. The way you write is very easy for ppl to grasp.

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice paper, Brandon. It has excellent paragraph layout with nicely cited sources. Though I agree with the others here considering your artwork it would be easy for Euronuts to dismiss you as 'pathetic white guy with a black fetish'. But then again who cares what nutcases think, it's the facts you present that matter.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26249 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
Informative article for lay people. But why not use scientific images only, in a scientific article?

I wanted to show my personal vision of how these prehistoric people might have looked. But you and the others raise a valid point about choosing more scientific illustrations for my presentation.

Maybe this one of a Neolithic man from Jericho could work instead? I was hoping for something with more color, personally.
 -

UPDATE: I cut out my artwork and replaced it with both the reconstruction of the Neolithic Jericho man and some prehistoric Egyptian rock art. It should look more scientifically presentable now.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7073 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

By the way, do you guys also know of places where I can share the link to my article? I don't want to post it on ForumBiodiversity or any other "alt-right" community since it'll be casting pearls before swine. Is there something like an anthro-themed FB group or a subreddit that I could post this on?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

what this literally means is that this man

-

is more African than this man >

-
(Papua New Guinea)

BrandonP
Member # 3735

^ Most likely, yes (disregarding phenotypes, of course). The Ethio Helix data shows Papuans and other Melanesians as no more than 15-19% African. See for yourself here.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good replacement picture Tyranno!
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

^ Thank you!

Now, if I may ask this again after the distraction with lioness...
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannohotep:
By the way, do you guys also know of places where I can share the link to my article? I don't want to post it on ForumBiodiversity or any other "alt-right" community since it'll be casting pearls before swine. Is there something like an anthro-themed FB group or a subreddit that I could post this on?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
Reconstruction of plastered Jericho skull

Do we know that this is a European ancestor population?

For the Article to have more impact it should have a modern European or group of various Europeans as the primary picture, my opinion

and maybe in addition an early European and maybe an Asian and maybe an African

People are going to question a very short Cavalli-Sforza quote from 1997-2001 that leaves out method and a bloggers ADMIX

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
^ Thank you!

quote:

Why don't you try emailing this to major news sites? Anyways... I would suggest:

1. Anthrogenica

2. Twitter(if you have a following)

3. Tumblr

I know I tried to share this on many sites. I also tweeted it to "big names" on twitter lol.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by Elite Diasporan:
quote:
^ Thank you!

quote:

Why don't you try emailing this to major news sites? Anyways... I would suggest:

1. Anthrogenica

2. Twitter(if you have a following)

3. Tumblr

I know I tried to share this on many sites. I also tweeted it to "big names" on twitter lol.

I used to have a Tumblr account, but deleted it and left the site for good after some nasty drama I'd rather not get into. As for Anthrogenica, I've found that they don't let new posters post off-site links. Twitter I have tried though, even though I've only 80 followers at the moment.

Out of curiosity, which sites and forums have you shared my article on?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
^^^Twitter mainly.
BrandonP
Member # 3735

In the meantime, I've just retweeted the link to Spencer Wells over on Twitter. We'll see whether he reacts within the next few days.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like modern Yemenis are the most African OoAs. Well north Yemen does have an RBG flag.
Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

I took my old "Why Europeans are Almost 1/3 African" essay and made it into a Youtube video presentation!

Why Europeans are Almost One Third African

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/94/15/7719.full.pdf

from the above:

quote:
"One reasonable hypothesis is that the genetic distance
between Asia and Africa is shorter than that between Africa
and the other continents in Table 1
because both Africans and
Asians contributed to the settlement of Europe, which began
about 40,000 years ago.

Did he make a mistake here ??

He says
"the genetic distance
and the other continents"

That distance in table 1. is 20.6

while the genetic distance between Africa and Europe is shorter 16.6

that has got to be a mistake, correct me if I am wrong.

Either that statement is wrong or the number is wrong

Same thing with the tree chart. The distance from Africa to Europe is shorter
than the distance from Africa to Asia
Why is that? Because some Africans came into Europe in much later migrations much more then they were to East Asia.

Yet in the text above he says

"the genetic distance
and the other continents"

No, the table and chart are showing the reverse
the genetic distance
between EUROPE and Africa is shorter than that between Africa and the other continents.
Also not surprising since is closer to Africa than East Asia or Oceania
(I'm using the breakdown he uses in the table and chart, Oceana, East Asia, Europe, America)

correct me if I am wrong

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/94/15/7719.full.pdf

Genes, peoples, and languages
L. LUCA CAVALLI-SFORZA

What we know of the occupation of different continents (1)
shows that West Asia was first settled around 100,000 years
ago,
although perhaps not permanently. Oceania was occupied
first from Africa, more or less at the same time as East Asia
(both probably having been settled by the coastal route of
South Asia), and then from East Asia both Europe and
America were settled, the latter certainly from the north, via
the Bering Strait (then a wide land passage). The dates are
approximately known, and the genetic distances corresponding
to the splits in the unweighted pair–group method with
arithmetic mean tree (or approximately the averages of appropriate
columns and other entries in Table 2; see also ref. 1)
are in reasonable agreement with them. This is indicated by the
approximate constancy of the ratios D/T (genetic distance/
time of first settlement) in Table 2. There is a marked
uncertainty in the time of occupation of the Americas, and
genetic data suggest the earlier dates are correct.
But if very small groups of people were responsible for the
initial settlement, as suggested also by other considerations, genetic drift
may have been especially strong and the time of settlement,
calculated from genetic distances, will be in excess.
One reasonable hypothesis is that the genetic distance
and the other continents in Table 1 because both Africans and
Asians contributed to the settlement of Europe, which began
about 40,000 years ago.
It seems very reasonable to assume
that both continents nearest to Europe contributed to its
settlement, even if perhaps at different times and maybe
repeatedly.
It is reassuring that the analysis of other markers
also consistently gives the same results in this case. Moreover,
a specific evolutionary model tested, i.e., that Europe is
formed by contributions from Asia and Africa, fits the distance
matrix perfectly (6). In this simplified model, the migrations
postulated to have populated Europe are estimated to have
occurred at an early date (30,000 years ago), but it is impossible
to distinguish, on the basis of these data, this model from that
of several migrations at different times.
THE OVERALL CONTRIBUTIONS FROM ASIA AND AFRICA WERE ESTIMATED TO BE AROUND
TWO-THIRDS AND ONE-THIRD, RESPECTIVELY.

last sentence ^^^

He is not saying here is not that today's European is 1/3 African due to admixture.
That is a face value interpretation of the above

According to OOA theory
the ancestors of Asians were once Africans. there was a genetic split by drift and mutation
and hence there are haplogroups that geneticists regard distinguishing Asians from Africans at the same time descendant of them

So he is talking about these two groups, Asians and Africans contributing to a later group 30,000 or so years ago who would later also become genetically distinct, Europeans
(as would Native Americans and earlier splits Oceanians)

Before Europeans there would have been Asians and Africans mixing for a while and one would see their respective haplogroups, perhaps males with a combination of on one side an African and in their other side of their parent ancestry Asian, just as if today an Asian and an African were to have a child together

However today, like Asians, Europeans have now evolved their own haplogroups according to
geneticists

So what Sfroza is talking about when he's talking about 1/3 (and I do not understand the method and it's execution that he uses to come up with this particular ratio)
but he is talking about Europeans at a time prior to when there were biological "Europeans"
when they were, according to him just mixed people of Asian and Africa descent with no unique haplotypes > yet

The Sforza article does not address the current amount of African admixture that Europeans have

For instance the most common YDNA group of Europeans today is only estimated tp be 4,500–9,000 BP
That's R1b-M269, well after the 30,000 years ago Sfroza if talking about.
Just look at that fact, R1b-M269 is a haplogroup that geneticists regard as European, not Asian or African and defiantly not Eats Asian. So right there it defeats the idea of 1/3 applying to modern day Europeans.
The most common E clade in Europeans is V13.
I was not able to find a statement on the percentage of all Europeans who carry this group. However this is the one clade of E that is more common outside of Africa so it is unclear as to regard this as African DNA or not.

So if his theory is correct
Europeans WERE one third African

not ARE

What they are today would have to be supported by other peer reviewed articles addressing African admixture in Europeans.
I looked for such an article but didn't find one yet that made a statement about modern Europeans as a whole but there is this chart

-

Human Genomic Diversity Where the Mediterranean Joins the Atlantic
Candela L Hernández

https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/37/4/1041/5670533

Molecular Biology and Evolution, Volume 37, Issue 4, April 2020, Pages 1041–1055, https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msz288
Published: 09 December 2019

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no, Sleeping Dog roused yet again
and still as flawed as ever with its
nearly 25 year old outdated data and
text. Time has moved on. A kid was
born and has got a Masters since
then. Any of youse have had a 1997
model year auto? Wanna give one to
your 1997 born 24 year old offspring?
Howzabout an ice truck delivering
directly to your door v owning one's
own ice making refrigerator freezer?

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010361#000000

Do any modern day population geneticists
posit or co-sign on such a notion in any
standard peer reviewed publications?

Who in academia today has followed up on an
admixture advent ~30,000 years ago of proto-
Europeans born from 1/3 "Rainforester African"
and 2/3 "San Francisco Chinese" ancestry bearers
getting it on? Who?

No, really, who? Could it be that hypothesis is
now much more easily seen as preposterous?

Who other than one or two old ES diehards
are still promoting or into it these days?
Ah well, two generations born since the 90s
probably never heard about it. They'll love
it I guess.

It's certainly no aid to an authentic
Africana not beholden to feel good
'theorhetics' that don't implement
full genomics, uni-parentals, HLA,
autosomes, archaeology, etc., in tandem.

- END NOTE
Of course a hearty "atta boy" to Brandon
for all the technical effort involved on
this latest production . Sure'd be nice if
the coupla other ESers w/YouTube channels collaborate on an ES-brand consensus effort,
whatever the topic.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

ES never understood this graphic
and always supposed a and b were
making the same statement when
obviously the unweighted pair-
group method with arithmetic mean
and the neighbor joining tree charts
place Oceania and Europe closest to
Africa respectively.

On the no follow-up 25 yr old no 2/3 1/3 'hypothesis':

a shows East Asia a step below Europe, not at all
suggestive of an East Asia --> Europe parentage.

b does place Europe between Africa and East Asia
with Europe twice as close to Asia compared to Africa
and that indeed supports the 2/3 1/3 hypothesis
neglected by 21st century 3rd millennium science.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com